How Long You Been A Suns fan?

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not meant to be confrontational. Just wondering.

I have been a Suns fan 23 years.

scotsman13

Reaction score
for me it was 87'. i had entered a contest at checker auto to win a little go cart like a formula 1 race car. and i won it. well i had to go to a suns game to claim it. and i really enjoyed the game. of course i became a rabit fan when barkley came. and have tried to watch as many games as i could since then.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started being seriously interested the 89-90 season, after I moved to the Valley (for a year) from Flagstaff and actually got to go to a few games.

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I became a fan when i was in the second grade. I can still remember it. Me and my friend Dante used to spend all our free time playing basketball at reecess. naturally since we lived in PHX, that was our team. We had championship games from 5th thru 8th grade. I won every single won of them suckers. Even when Dante and my team let our basketball coach take me away from them. I made them pay, dealt them an L. Age 14 at 5'10 I could dunk, but my specialty was defense and 3 pointers. Then I found beer and now here I am.

Ok totally off subject but it had those memories in my head for some reason.

frdbtr

Registered
Reaction score
The first year KJ and Tommy Chambers were together, I think it was 87-88 but not sure, they went from having a losing record to winning 55 games the next year, I was hooked and very disapointed when the Lakers beat them in the playoffs. Been a big fan ever since.

AmareFan

4DASUNS
Reaction score
Moved to the valley in '84, been a fan since '86....I love this team, although there were some bad years.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I moved to Phoenix in '92 and have been a fan ever since. Even though I moved to New Orleans last year I still read this board and suns.com daily. Thank heaven's for League Pass too. I never miss a game. If I was getting married I'd schedule my wedding around the Suns schedule.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
I moved here in 91 and goot hooked in 93. Die hard fan ever since...

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I moved to Phx from the East coast (Connecticut) back in 96 for college (ASU) and became a fan in the 99-2000 season. I haven't missed many games since.

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was born in PHX. Realized we had a team in about 1970, I've been a huge fan ever since, Been watching league pass since it came out! You use to get to watch just your teams games for 99 bucks a year! :thumbup:

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mid 70's. My dad worked for a major sponsor of the team back then and we had tickets to every game. Didn't always go to every game, but we could go whenever we wanted. Then on the nights that were "sponsor" nights, my Dad would get a few dozen tickets to the game. (This was back when attendance wasn't so great) So on those nights we would bring the whole neighborhood.

One of the things that sticks with me for some reason was the first time I saw Dr. J come to town. I had just read a book about him and was really excited.
I also remember that someone brought a sign that said "They have Dr. J, so what. We have Dr. A, Dennis Awtrey." I thought that was the stupidest sign I had ever seen. Still cheered on the Suns, and was kind of disappointed when Dr J didn't literally fly around the court.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
frdbtr said:
The first year KJ and Tommy Chambers were together, I think it was 87-88 but not sure, they went from having a losing record to winning 55 games the next year, I was hooked and very disapointed when the Lakers beat them in the playoffs. Been a big fan ever since.

same goes for me - that was also the year the Cards came to town and I became a rabid fan there also. 1988- the year I found sports and the life I had lived up to that was never to be the same.

seesred

Reaction score
Mid 70's last year of the drug team and the beggining of what we have now.
Till now best basketball is when we had Charles> This year is the first year since Dan is gone I've come back with great interest..

Suns Championship year 2004-2005

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From the very start 1968-1969 season

I was 15 years old when they came to town. Been a fan ever since :)

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Since 80-81 season. When I moved to AZ. I lived in NC and didn't have anything but Tarheels B-Ball to watch. Since NC didn't have any pro teams the AZ teams have always been my fav.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Moved here in '78 attended some games with my dad in the early 80's. I remember Alvan Adams and John McLeod but not very well.

Really didn't get interested in basketball for myself until probably 87-88. Right after KJ and Chambers came here.

Been a Suns fan as long as I have been a fan of basketball.

StatsAmare

Playin' 110%
Reaction score
I heard last week that they were a fun team to watch so I figure, what the heck!!!!

I'm a native so I've been diehard since i was10 (1983) ;)

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
came to the US in 94 and became a Suns fan in 97 playoffs

i can honestly say i became a Suns fan because of small ball :D

first time i saw them was against San Antonio and i remember vividly that it was so fast paced and exciting to watch a bunch of small guys (KJ/JK/Chapman) going against the big guys

although they lost the series i fell in love with the team and the way they played

been a Sun's fan since then

sunsfn

Reaction score
I moved here in 68 when they started and still think about the horrible flip!!! :(

I was a fan of the ABA (you remember, the striped balls, Julius Erving, 3 point shot, etc.) and have always liked pro basketball.
:thumbup:

AZZenny

Reaction score
Hooked up with a native Phoenician in 1978 in Grad School who told stories how he used to ride his bike to the old arena and sneak in to games as a kid, and he got me started watching them. After I moved to AZ in 83 I've followed the Suns with varying degrees of enthusiasm (I really liked the Barkley years). That is, until the DBacks came along, since baseball has always been my one true love. Got more interested in the Suns again with Amare and Marbury, and now am a committed fan with Nash and Amare and old-style, fast-paced basketball.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got swooped up by the Barkley bandwagon and have been a rabid fan ever since.

Quagmire

The thread killa strikes again
Reaction score
Bulls, Suns in the finals is what hooked me. I was a casual Hawks fan because all of their games were shown on TBS.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
I moved here in 68 when they started and still think about the horrible flip!!! :(

I was a fan of the ABA (you remember, the striped balls, Julius Erving, 3 point shot, etc.) and have always liked pro basketball.
:thumbup:

Artis Gilmore, Dan Issel, Dr. J, Rick BArry (Oakland Oaks I think he played for), Connie Hawkins (Pittsburgh Condors) and many other really good players. Fun league to watch for a while.

Denver Nuggets, Indiana Pacers, Kentucky Colonels, New Jersey Nets, San Diego Conquistadors (Wilt coached them for a while)....ahhhhhh...the memories. My little brother and I played mock ABA games on the back yard hoops hours on end...I LOVED the red, white and blue striped basketballs and had several of them :)

Last edited:

Dylan

Registered
Reaction score
From day one... I was like 12 years old and it was great to get a major pro team in Arizona. It felt like the big time was finally coming to the state.

Been no other team for me since then...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05