I love our Recievers, but they aren't fast

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All of our receivers at one point and time had a clear pathway to the endzone and got caught from behind. I think two out of three we ended up giving the ball back. I though Johnson was the burner, but he broke the corners tackle, the corner fell down, got back up and still ran Johnson down!

I guess they give up speed for their size, still kind of sucks though...

Neither is our running back for that matter he, gets caught from behind quite a bit...

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I'm cool with Boldin and Fitz's power over speed.

100% agreed.

Of all the things you can complain about this game, the receivers are NOT one of them.

DaCards

I Heart the Cardinals!!
Reaction score
I think thats the first time Ive heard a complaint about our recieving core. Are you kidding me?!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I dont think Johnson got run down becuase he was slow.

He was waiting for and following blocks the whole way, one from Fitz I know for surewhere BJ then cut it up the sideline, so he was not running at full speed the whole time.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Our WR's are two of the best in the NFL. There is no refuting that....
HOWEVER, watch closely as they seem to never gain the type of separation that other elite, and not so elite WR's gain - particularly when playng us... Not sure why that is... It always seems that whenever Q or Fitz makes a catch, there is a defender draped all over them. They have to wrestle, scramble or out-leap the defender to catch the ball. Meanwhile, Holt and Bruce today had YARDS of separation.
Is is their lack of pure speed? I really don't think so... I have seen much slower WR's gain much greater separation than our two...

I think it's a simple matter of extremely poor play-calling & no run game to speak of...
We did not throw one ball to our TE's today. NOT ONE ATTEMPT! I guess if you're a defensive back, you know you only have to guard 2 guys (Fitz and Q)...

tomarq

Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
All of our receivers at one point and time had a clear pathway to the endzone and got caught from behind. I think two out of three we ended up giving the ball back. I though Johnson was the burner, but he broke the corners tackle, the corner fell down, got back up and still ran Johnson down!

I guess they give up speed for their size, still kind of sucks though...

Neither is our running back for that matter he, gets caught from behind quite a bit...

Solid point.

The receivers had at least three opp to break one out and got taken down. That was disturbing.

I'm not sure that there's enoung room for both Fitz and Quan in this system.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
82CardsGrad said:
HOWEVER, watch closely as they seem to never gain the type of separation that other elite, and not so elite WR's gain - particularly when playng us... Not sure why that is... It always seems that whenever Q or Fitz makes a catch, there is a defender draped all over them. They have to wrestle, scramble or out-leap the defender to catch the ball. Meanwhile, Holt and Bruce today had YARDS of separation.
Is is their lack of pure speed? I really don't think so... I have seen much slower WR's gain much greater separation than our two...

I think it's a simple matter of extremely poor play-calling & no run game to speak of...
We did not throw one ball to our TE's today. NOT ONE ATTEMPT! I guess if you're a defensive back, you know you only have to guard 2 guys (Fitz and Q)...

You're amazing, you almost always know how to create a post that perfectly ticks me off.

Amazing.

They don't get seperation because they are slow for the love of all that's holy, there are 3 WR's and Edge to deal with, most teams haven't got nearly that many weapons and no one uses a TE anymore, did you ever play fantasy football?

Anyone who's ever played fantasy football knows that you get about 6 TE in each league that will get you any points the rest are just roster dressing.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
82CardsGrad said:

Rowan makes the play calls but Warner has to make the reads and the throws.

Rowan may have called passes to the TE but Warner simply didn't execute.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
82CardsGrad said:
Meanwhile, Holt and Bruce today had YARDS of separation.
If Q or Fitz was playing the combo of Mcklin/Ware or Ware/Rolle, they would have lots of separation, too.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
You're amazing, you almost always know how to create a post that perfectly ticks me off.

Amazing.

They don't get seperation because they are slow for the love of all that's holy, there are 3 WR's and Edge to deal with, most teams haven't got nearly that many weapons and no one uses a TE anymore, did you ever play fantasy football?

Anyone who's ever played fantasy football knows that you get about 6 TE in each league that will get you any points the rest are just roster dressing.

Aside from getting a daily kick out of ticking you off, I have no idea what the point of your post is??
OK - we have 3 WR's to deal with... BJ had one catch today. Was looked at once. That's it... Edge? Well - ok, he did have over 90 yards today and at times, looked solid. But IMO, he has not shown anything worth worrying about if you're a defensive coach...
And yes, there are only a handful of TE's that are true threats. But I am not suggesting we need a threat at TE. We do however, need to throw the ball to a TE every once and a while. Otherwise, you get what we have gotten essentially all year thus far. Q and Fitz making super-hero plays, taking a beating each tme they make a catch, and nobody else contributing...
While there may only be a handful of TE threats in the league - go and check how many other teams throw to that position less than the Cards... I'll save you the time dude - NONE...

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
82CardsGrad said:
Aside from getting a daily kick out of ticking you off, I have no idea what the point of your post is??
OK - we have 3 WR's to deal with... BJ had one catch today. Was looked at once. That's it... Edge? Well - ok, he did have over 90 yards today and at times, looked solid. But IMO, he has not shown anything worth worrying about if you're a defensive coach...
And yes, there are only a handful of TE's that are true threats. But I am not suggesting we need a threat at TE. We do however, need to throw the ball to a TE every once and a while. Otherwise, you get what we have gotten essentially all year thus far. Q and Fitz making super-hero plays, taking a beating each tme they make a catch, and nobody else contributing...
While there may only be a handful of TE threats in the league - go and check how many other teams throw to that position less than the Cards... I'll save you the time dude - NONE...

Again who says that there weren't calls for the TE?

Warner was just generally awful in all aspects of his game today. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that he missed the read on the TE massively

I mean this is a guy who threw into triple coverage AND threw a pick to a LB when there wasn't a Cardinal within a 4 yard radius.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Again who says that there weren't calls for the TE?

Warner was just generally awful in all aspects of his game today. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that he missed the read on the TE massively

I mean this is a guy who threw into triple coverage AND threw a pick to a LB when there wasn't a Cardinal within a 4 yard radius.

That could definitely be a factor.. But 3 games into the season and our TE's have been thrown to less times than I can count on one hand...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
Cards had Speed.

Speed = Gilmore

So I'm ok with that problem

Speaking of Bryan he had a huge play in the SF game today couldn't believe he caught the ball, 75 yard play if Smith hadn't hung the ball he would have scored easily.

But I agree with the point, I'll take talent over speed.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
82CardsGrad said:

I've always said our WR's are slow and don't get seperation but you're blaming the OC?

Dude the oc dosen't run the routes, the WR's do, and they get one on one coverage and can't beat their guy to the house like Bryant that aint a coverage issue that's a I'm a slow runner issue.

I love our WR's but they aren't burners, they're bulldozers and jump ball artists, Boldin gets Yac by running over and through people, but I digress, we lost the game because our QB took a big shot to the head and forgot what team he played for.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
82CardsGrad said:
That could definitely be a factor.. But 3 games into the season and our TE's have been thrown to less times than I can count on one hand...

and Warner has sucked in all games but one. I'd say that its quite possible that there is a connection there

The TE can't throw to himself

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
and Warner has sucked in all games but one. I'd say that its quite possible that there is a connection there

The announcers commented on it, Bergen was open on several plays that Warner dumped it to Boldin or Fitz, I don't blame Warner, Bergen drops the ball too much and fumbled a game away or at least a shot at a game so that might play into it.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
I though Johnson was the burner, but he broke the corners tackle, the corner fell down, got back up and still ran Johnson down!

The corner didn't fall down, in fact he recovered quite quickly and then was able to take an angle on BJ from out of bounds. Live action, I thought he got knocked down too and couldn't imagine how he got ran down, but on the replay board it was pretty clear that the guy didn't fall, and was able to take an angle on BJ. Plus BJ was slowing up to take advantage of potential blocks I think.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

That's inexcusable. I havent seen any screen passes either. Whatever happened to the screen pass in NFL arsenals to help control pass rushes. The Cards haven't run it well in a decade. And its a shame because Edge can get yards once beyond the LOS.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That's inexcusable. I havent seen any screen passes either. Whatever happened to the screen pass in NFL arsenals to help control pass rushes. The Cards haven't run it well in a decade. And its a shame because Edge can get yards once beyond the LOS.

The Rams executed a number of screens today, with great success...

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Solid point.

I'm not sure that there's enoung room for both Fitz and Quan in this system.

There's plenty of room. Fitz and Quan kept us in this game breaking tackle after tackle...I don't have any problem with our recieving corp if Bryant is really as fast as I hear. If he is then I'm fine with two, great power recievers.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score

NFL play-by-play has the interception to Coakley intended for Pope.

Unfortunately it was a little low.

As for our WR, I love them. Not that we couldn't use a little more speed. Q and Fitz are keepers for sure. BJ is decent and Walters is a solid stop gap/utility guy.

Q is just a warrior, he is the heart of this team. I wouldn't trade him for anybody.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05