I Say Trade Fitz For Lee Evans--Let the bashing begin

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last night proved what many experts have said about our O to be true. We have talented recievers, but the corps as a whole is too one dimensional. I love Quan too much to consider trading him and honestly feel that Fitz will leave when he becomes a FA anyhow. Evans would give us the deep threat that we have been lacking. His stretching of the field would help Boldin soooo much too. A safety would have to go deep to help whichever CB was on Evans which would really open things up for Boldin, and when he gets a little room to run, no one is stopping him.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night proved what many experts have said about our O to be true. We have talented recievers, but the corps as a whole is too one dimensional. I love Quan too much to consider trading him and honestly feel that Fitz will leave when he becomes a FA anyhow. Evans would give us the deep threat that we have been lacking. His stretching of the field would help Boldin soooo much too. A safety would have to go deep to help whichever CB was on Evans which would really open things up for Boldin, and when he gets a little room to run, no one is stopping him.

:thumbup:

Pull the trigger.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's not much to bash. It's not even remotely plausible because of the cap. Unless you meant this offseason?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a horrible trade but I agree with AJ can't be done during the season.

one of my pet theories as to why we did the weird contract stuff in FA this year is they realized we'd probably have to make a trade or cut some incumbents after the new staff got a look at everyone. One of the ways to make that possible after this season is to frontload contracts so that you have more caproom NEXT year to eat any caphit that a trade or cut brings about.

the obvious one now would be for example trading or cutting Antrell Rolle, but pretty much any high money player the cap hit accelerates so you need more caproom to do it.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
SMH @ this trade Fitz talk.

But then again, no one gives a damn about him because he's not Q.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if BJ was to do his job, and then we wouldn't dream of trading away Fitz.

JTS

Genus49

Reaction score
I was always curious why the Cards grabbed Fitz when they did. Yeah he was a sure thing and is a very good player but at the time they grabbed Bryant Johnson and Boldin, the year before. What team other than the Colts(who have Peyton Manning) had ever went deep into the playoffs with 2 super star receivers and an average team elsewhere.

I think Denny just grabbed him because he was a sure thing and he was friends with Larry's pops. But this was the reason I didn't want the niners to draft Vernon Davis. A receiver so early doesn't help the team win that much. usually when a team drafts so high in the draft they have a ton of holes to fill...a receiver usually never wins a game by himself. Add that to already having a stud like Boldin and spending a first on BJ same year as Boldin...it was just weird.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Redskins are already desperate as hell for wide receivers.. Why the hell would they trade away their best one?

I'll have to see how Laron landry works out for them.. If he's anything like he was in college.. I would not mind sending Larry and Francisco or Holt down there for him.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I try not be abrasive or harsh on this board.

But this "burner" discussion is ridiculous. It comes up at least 2 or 3 times a month.

Our WR can go deep, and all three Johnson, Boldin, and Fitz are head and shoulders about Lee Evans.

Two threads about trading the youngest WR in the NFL that has the most potential after one close loss.

I think this is a little much.

If Lee Evans was out on the field against SF I don't see how it would have help out the situation.

Finally, what is considered a "burner". A guy that can go deep? A guy that can bring it to the house ?

Bryant Johnson, and Boldin do this just as much or dare I say more than any "burner" in the league.

I just don't see it.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Tough crowd.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
How about Lee Evans, and Peters their LT ?

Now we are talking.

OR

Fitzgerald, Fransisco, and a 4th round pick

for

Lee Evans, Peters, T and Donte Whitner.

That would kick butt.

Not like this would ever happen but it is fun to throw around nonsense once in a while.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
All these trade ideas are just complete B.S. Fitz had one pour outing where he was not getting separation on man to man with over the top safety help .. and people want to trade him ?? We should be so lucky to have two great WR's on this team and some people want to drop him after one game. Some people are just hitting the panic button way to soon !

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
How open does Fitz have to get on a deep route before he can go deep? I saw him wiiiiide open and 2 steps behind single coverage on Monday night and Leinart threw it to Q and triple coverage.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
How open does Fitz have to get on a deep route before he can go deep? I saw him wiiiiide open and 2 steps behind single coverage on Monday night and Leinart threw it to Q and triple coverage.

Also on the flea flicker he was almost 10 yards ahead of the DB.

My main question is where was BJ for most of the game ? Not having 3 WR's out there seems really pointless when you have 3 great wideouts. JJ going in motion for a few plays why could BJ not do that ?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try not be abrasive or harsh on this board.

But this "burner" discussion is ridiculous. It comes up at least 2 or 3 times a month.

Our WR can go deep, and all three Johnson, Boldin, and Fitz are head and shoulders about Lee Evans.

Two threads about trading the youngest WR in the NFL that has the most potential after one close loss.

I think this is a little much.

If Lee Evans was out on the field against SF I don't see how it would have help out the situation.

Finally, what is considered a "burner". A guy that can go deep? A guy that can bring it to the house ?

Bryant Johnson, and Boldin do this just as much or dare I say more than any "burner" in the league.

I just don't see it.

I think Fitz is better than Evans but head and shoulders?

Evans plays with a horrible QB his whole career, currently JP Loserman. He's averaged 8 TD's a year the last 3, Fitz in the last 3 years has averaged 8 TD's a game too. Fitz plays in a much more pass happy offense, and with better QB's in Warner and Leinart(during those 3 years).

Fitz catches more balls but Evans gets you more ypc(about 2.5 more) because he's faster. That's all the point is having a burner would make it a lot harder for teams to do what the Niners did. I wouldn't advocate trading Fitz but with a new staff it's always been apparent to me that we're probably going to trade or cut a big name guy at some point. Like I posted earlier I would assume Rolle is the likely guy not Fitz.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

he was open but wide open no, the guy covering him was faster than he was. Matt should have thrown it but let's not act like he was more open than he was to make the point. And Q was double covered not tripled.

The point is valid Matt went to the wrong guy there, he should have thrown to Fitz as Golic said and as many here have been saying too.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
he was open but wide open no, the guy covering him was faster than he was. Matt should have thrown it but let's not act like he was more open than he was to make the point. And Q was double covered not tripled.

The point is valid Matt went to the wrong guy there, he should have thrown to Fitz as Golic said and as many here have been saying too.

Russ- I think Fitz was wide open, and had Matt thrown on time with any reasonable amount of accuracy -- its an easy TD

I think at the end what you saw was Fitz slowing because he was looking back and knew the ball wasnt going his way, while the CB was going full tilt with his back towards the passer, not knowing if the ball was coming his way.

That play was just indicative of Matt's night -- just not confident in where he wanted to go

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ- I think Fitz was wide open, and had Matt thrown on time with any reasonable amount of accuracy -- its an easy TD

I think at the end what you saw was Fitz slowing because he was looking back and knew the ball wasnt going his way, while the CB was going full tilt with his back towards the passer, not knowing if the ball was coming his way.

That play was just indicative of Matt's night -- just not confident in where he wanted to go

I guess we have to define wide open, at the point we saw it, it wasn't 2 steps it was a step. Maybe it was 2 steps earlier it's quite possible as you say Fitz was slowing up.

I'd have had to be there to see if he was wide open earlier and the CB just closed the gap.

Matt should have thrown the ball for sure, but to me on a flea flicker wide open is 5 yards because they bought the fake, they didn't.

I take back the CB is faster comment though because now that I think of it Clements was on Quan on that play, and Fitz is faster than Harris.

Matt should have thrown the ball he just wasn't playing well he looked completely out of sorts all game.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score

possibly, but wouldn't the safety go to help out the CB during the ball flight? It would have been a better chance of completion for sure, but I don't think it would have been a slam dunk.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
possibly, but wouldn't the safety go to help out the CB during the ball flight? It would have been a better chance of completion for sure, but I don't think it would have been a slam dunk.

Not if the ball was thrown to the outside. Not enough time to get there.