If the Suns have the #2 pick, who should they pick?

Suns have the #2 pick, Ayton was taken #1, who should they take with that pick?

• Marvin Bagley - PF - Duke

• Luka Doncic - G - Europe

• Michael Porter Jr - F - Missouri

• Trae Young - PG - Oklahoma

• Mo Bamba - C - Texas

• Jaren Jackson Jr - C/F - Michigan St

• Select Someone Else/Trade For A Veteran

Results are only viewable after voting.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I'm more interested in using our own pick plus other picks to get Ayton. That's probably a long shot too but not that impossible.

Maybe not as big of a longshot as you think. If it's say, Memphis that gets #1, they could probably be talked into a swap with our highest pick, and maybe Warren. Gives them a jump start on their rebuild and quite a few mocks have them taking Doncic anyways.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t trust McD to get cute with our pick. If we’ve got #2, just pick your guy and hope to hell he made the right choice. This draft could and should define the next five years, for good or bad.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I voted Jackson, I love Jacksons game, he can flat out pop threes and is a great Stretch 4, I am hoping if the suns dont get one they fall a little, I dont wnt Doncic, id be happy with everyone after Doncic... So Jackson Bagley, Yung Porter Jr. This is the draft to pull off what they did with Chriss. To Move up and land 2 of the top 10, tons of talent in this draft

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I voted Doncic. I don't imagine anyone would be surprised by that one bit.

Doncic is the best playmaker in this draft (something we desperately need more of) while also being a good shooting prospect.

Guards and wings are what wins under the current rules. Thus adding a guy like Doncic to push the pace, facilitate very well and knock down outside shots (while getting others more good looks from 3) will help to turn this team around quickly.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted Doncic. I don't imagine anyone would be surprised by that one bit.

Doncic is the best playmaker in this draft (something we desperately need more of) while also being a good shooting prospect.

Guards and wings are what wins under the current rules. Thus adding a guy like Doncic to push the pace, facilitate very well and knock down outside shots (while getting others more good looks from 3) will help to turn this team around quickly.

I just don’t get how you can keep saying he’s a shooter. I’ve seen you give excuses for why his numbers there are so bad, but they just seem like excuses to me. .311 is pretty pathetic no matter the obstacles, IMO.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don’t trust McD to get cute with our pick. If we’ve got #2, just pick your guy and hope to hell he made the right choice. This draft could and should define the next five years, for good or bad.
Yeah most of McDonouugh’s selections in the top 5 have worked out well so makes sense.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I just don’t get how you can keep saying he’s a shooter. I’ve seen you give excuses for why his numbers there are so bad, but they just seem like excuses to me. .311 is pretty pathetic no matter the obstacles, IMO.
I'm not suggesting he is the next Steph Curry or anything. I am simply saying that I think he will be a good shooter at the NBA level. He may not be a great shooter right now, but I assure you he is far better than his 31% three point percentage this year. The stroke is there and his numbers prior to this season would suggest this is either more of an anomaly or he is simply taking too many tough threes and he does take a lot of tough ones (step back threes off the dribble make up for a decent percentage of his attempts for instance).

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can not draft for NEED. Or FIT

Yes you can. The Suns need virtually every position other than wing players right now so their needs are plenty and the fit for virtually all of the top prospects are pretty good. Ayton probably fits the best and fills the biggest need but he's also the best prospect. Behind him the gap in talent between Bagley, Doncic, and Jackson is pretty similar with Young, Bamba, and Porter falling just behind those guys but good tournament showings could place them all on even ground.

They're lucky that the best players are fits and needs this year. Typically at the top of the lottery though you should always select best player available. When you draft later in the round though you can select for need, or if you have more than 1 1st round pick like the Suns do. With their mid round picks from Miami and Milwaukee they could draft for need and fit because the talent level after the top 10 players or so shouldn't be that great of difference.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yes you can. The Suns need virtually every position other than wing players right now so their needs are plenty and the fit for virtually all of the top prospects are pretty good. Ayton probably fits the best and fills the biggest need but he's also the best prospect. Behind him the gap in talent between Bagley, Doncic, and Jackson is pretty similar with Young, Bamba, and Porter falling just behind those guys but good tournament showings could place them all on even ground.

They're lucky that the best players are fits and needs this year. Typically at the top of the lottery though you should always select best player available. When you draft later in the round though you can select for need, or if you have more than 1 1st round pick like the Suns do. With their mid round picks from Miami and Milwaukee they could draft for need and fit because the talent level after the top 10 players or so shouldn't be that great of difference.
Correct, you can and should factor in need/fit when drafting a player. You just don't want to pass on a legitimately better prospect for the sake of need/fit.

Errntknght

Reaction score
If it were known that both #3 and #4 wanted Doncic or both wanted Bagley and one of them had a pick like #7, I'd try work a deal with that team to snag the #7 plus their earlier pick. I'd toss in a pick in the teens to sweeten the deal. I'd take Bamba with their low pick and use #7 on whoever fell that far, I probably take the best 3pt shooter left. If no deal were available I'd take Bamba at #2. As far as I am aware there is no team that could wind of up with two picks in the top ten so it's an unlikely scenario. The reason for Bamba is that I always give an edge to defense but I'd take Ayton over him.

Edit: The problem with BPA is that it's a guess. If I was sure I could pick the best player available, I'd use that method and, of course, I'd be the greatest draft wizard ever. The Suns had a scout at one time, who seemed to be that good - Percudani, was his name.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If it were known that both #3 and #4 wanted Doncic or both wanted Bagley and one of them had a pick like #7, I'd try work a deal with that team to snag the #7 plus their earlier pick. I'd toss in a pick in the teens to sweeten the deal. I'd take Bamba with their low pick and use #7 on whoever fell that far, I probably take the best 3pt shooter left. If no deal were available I'd take Bamba at #2. As far as I am aware there is no team that could wind of up with two picks in the top ten so it's an unlikely scenario. The reason for Bamba is that I always give an edge to defense but I'd take Ayton over him.

It doesn't appear that any team will have 2 lottery picks this year. I tried looking for that myself but the Sixers have the best odds of that happening but they'd need to miss the playoffs and have the Lakers pick end up at either #1 or fall below #6 for them to keep it instead of sending it to Boston. They wouldn't have 2 picks around where someone could take 2 players. The Suns could have another lottery pick if the Heat someone lose out, but that's highly unlikely.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I just thought of this too...If McD wants to keep his job he better go with Bagley over Bamba. Bagley is going to give more wins now versus Bamba because he's already more polished. I don't think Sarver or the fans have much more patience on projects.. thanks to Len.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I just thought of this too...If McD wants to keep his job he better go with Bagley over Bamba. Bagley is going to give more wins now versus Bamba because he's already more polished. I don't Sarver or the fans have much more patience on projects.. thanks to Len.

I tend to agree. I want someone who can just contribute right away.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I wish I could see pre-draft workouts. As an example, I would love to see Doncic bring the ball up the court with Harrison or Jackson putting on full-court press. Or see how Bagley rebounds and scores against Chandler and Len. Watch Bender and JJJ go one on one and see who is better when they can't pass the ball. See if Young can score with Jackson on him and Chandler waiting for him in the paint. I feel like we are trying to judge and project these players based on such limited information. It would be so much fun to see individual workouts.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All these people promoting Bamba as a potential #2 pick really should watch a few full Texas games. He absolutely screams bust. IMO he is a case of people being in love with measurements and ignoring skill. He is getting by purely on his height, he is clunky out there, he is often totally disengaged and he makes some terrible decisions on both ends.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wish I could see pre-draft workouts. As an example, I would love to see Doncic bring the ball up the court with Harrison or Jackson putting on full-court press. Or see how Bagley rebounds and scores against Chandler and Len. Watch Bender and JJJ go one on one and see who is better when they can't pass the ball. See if Young can score with Jackson on him and Chandler waiting for him in the paint. I feel like we are trying to judge and project these players based on such limited information. It would be so much fun to see individual workouts.

Workouts can even be misleading. I remember back in the day Darko had killer workouts and was drafted by Detroit and was a total bust. Still, more info the better.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I admit that I did not appreciate him (Doncic) until I saw a couple of full games. The kid can play.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All these people promoting Bamba as a potential #2 pick really should watch a few full Texas games. He absolutely screams bust. IMO he is a case of people being in love with measurements and ignoring skill. He is getting by purely on his height, he is clunky out there, he is often totally disengaged and he makes some terrible decisions on both ends.

I think most know he has a "project" tag on his head. If we draft #5 I think we have to take him but like you are saying at #2 that's a reach.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05