If there was no salary cap...

Sandman 777

Reaction score
If there was no salary cap over the past eight seasons what players would be on this roster? Would it be a dream team?

One player who I like who comes to mind is Rajon Rondo.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there was no salary cap over the past eight seasons what players would be on this roster? Would it be a dream team?

One player who I like who comes to mind is Rajon Rondo.

If there was no salary cap than Saver wouldn't have bought the team so who knows.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The Rondo draft was abhorrent. Rondo, Kyle Lowery, Marcus Williams, and Jordan Farmar all went in the early 20's and we got exactly none of them. D'Antoni preferred Marcus Banks at $5 million per so he would not have to develop anybody.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rondo draft was abhorrent. Rondo, Kyle Lowery, Marcus Williams, and Jordan Farmar all went in the early 20's and we got exactly none of them. D'Antoni preferred Marcus Banks at $5 million per so he would not have to develop anybody.
That makes might stomach hurt.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Are you serious? No salary cap and all you can think of is Rondo? First of all if there were no cap then the Suns would be screwed. The Lakers, Knicks or Celtics would be like the Red Sox and Yankees.

Secondly, what about Joe Johnson.

Third, this is just another way of pointing out all of the personnel mistakes made by the Suns, which has been done plenty.

OP
OP
S

Sandman 777

Reaction score
Joe Johnson wanted out. He demanded to be moved. The Suns were willing to match any offer on him.

You guys aren't any fun.

My next name I'll throw out there is Kurt Thomas. Anybody else want to mention someone?

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Joe Johnson wanted out. He demanded to be moved. The Suns were willing to match any offer on him.

You guys aren't any fun.

My next name I'll throw out there is Kurt Thomas. Anybody else want to mention someone?

Joe demanded to move because they gave him a crap offer. If there were no cap, they would've offered more.

How about that 7th pick that the Suns gave to the Bulls. (Luol Deng)

OP
OP
S

Sandman 777

Reaction score
Joe openly expressed wanting to move because he wanted his own team. He wanted to be the focal point. Thats why he left. The Suns made him a qualifying offer and were prepared to match any other offer. They chose not to match because Joe wanted out.

Nice pick by the way.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe demanded to move because they gave him a crap offer. If there were no cap, they would've offered more.

How about that 7th pick that the Suns gave to the Bulls. (Luol Deng)

I doubt it. They still could have moved salary or whatever to sign Joe for 5 Million more (that was the reported gap). Sarver was balking because he just shelled out a crap load for the team and Steve Nash. I don't think Sarver did it because he was having wallet shock at the time.

Joe openly expressed wanting to move because he wanted his own team. He wanted to be the focal point. Thats why he left. The Suns made him a qualifying offer and were prepared to match any other offer. They chose not to match because Joe wanted out.

Nice pick by the way.

Also, I have never bought into that explanation. If you listened to Joe's interview on KTAR then what the Suns were saying, the stories didn't match. The Sun's claimed to have offered to match yet Joe during the interview claimed they made no such offer. Who do you believe? Based on Sarver's selling of picks...I would err on the side of Joe.

Last edited:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Did you make a screen name just to salt an already salted wound? Better yet, you baited a mod into responding.

Troll of the Month maybe?

OP
OP
S

Sandman 777

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I thought this was America. Land of the free. Land of the brave, the strong but I guess also land of the delicate. For there to be positives there must be negatives. If you want to shelter yourself from negatives then why read through this thread and why criticize someone for not walking on eggs shells?

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
The Knicks show what can be done with unlimited money and no brains.

Suns fans want to have it both ways. They are upset when the Suns failed to give JJ and huge contract (for the period) just under what Manu received dispite JJ having a very up and down career. Then Suns fans get upset when the give Diaw a big contract after a much better year than JJ had before they supposedly low balled him.

If the Suns draft a guy and he doesn't work out or passes on someone who does, then they just can't judge talent any better than the Spurs who traded way Barbosa and Scola. Trading away draft picks to save money never seems like a good idea in retrospect, but drafting guys who aren't any help isn't really all that big an improvement.

Some of the huge misses have included Landry (this year), Millsap (2006) and Bass (2005) who spent two uneventful years with the Hornets before becoming a hit in Dallas. But the real question is how many fans were chanting these guys names on draft day? With 20-20 hindsight, everyone is a genius.

Last edited: