if we assume mcginnis is gone at some point this season...guess on replacement..

coyotecard

Reaction score
minority coach

You want a minority coach?
How about Mia Hamm?
Maybe the Dbacks could pick up Nomo in a package deal.
Havent we all decided that it really doesnt matter who the coach is if the talent doesnt improve?

"been there done that" sure comes to mind for me.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan
Actually 2 guys i think may be considered are Marv Levy and Ditka....Those 2 and Coughlin are the guys i'd put at the top of the Cards list..

Marv Levy will be 76 at the beginning of next season - pass.

Mike Ditka - not exactly my favorite but no specific complaints.

Tom Coughlin - bad, bad, bad. Why? He has a bad rep with the players. If he were coaching a team with a good rep, maybe. This is the Cardinals.

Throwing obnoxious amounts off money at Jimmy Johnson, or better yet, Joe Gibbs and luring them out of retirement would be the answer. It won't happen but, I can dream.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
How about Rod Marinelli?

Or Mike Mularky?

From 2002 Media Guide...

Mike Mularkey enters his second season as the Steelers' offensive coordinator after an impressive first year. After spending the five previous five seasons as the team's tight ends coach, Mularkey's innovation helped develop the Steelers into an efficient offense that became the talk of the NFL in 2001. The Steelers offense improved to third in total offense last season from 18th overall the previous year. Additionally, the Steelers finished 2001 as the topranked rushing unit in the NFL. The Steelers offense in 2001 also produced another 1,000-yard season by Jerome Bettis, the re-emergence of quarterback Kordell Stewart, who threw for more than 3,000 yards for the first time in his career, and two 1,000-yard receivers in Hines Ward and Plaxico Burress for the first time in Steelers' history.

Mularkey, 40, a former tight end for the Steelers from 1989-91, was promoted to his current position on Jan. 5. He originally joined Bill Cowher's staff as tight ends coach Feb. 8, 1996. Prior to his Steelers' appointment, Mularkey was in charge of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' tight ends in 1995. He previously served as the team's quality control coach in 1994, where he was responsible for "breaking down" film of opponents and compiling coaching reports on their offensive and defensive tendencies. He also assisted with tight ends and special teams. Mularkey spent one year as the offensive line coach for Concordia (Minn.) College in 1993. He entered coaching after spending nine seasons in the NFL as a tight end, playing for the Minnesota Vikings from 1983-88 and the Pittsburgh Steelers from 1989-91. Originally a 1983 ninth-round draft choice of the San Francisco 49ers, Mularkey was waived prior to the season and was picked up by the Vikings. He joined the Steelers as a Plan B free agent. His career statistics included 102 receptions for 1,222 yards and nine touchdowns.

Mularkey attended the University of Florida and finished his Gator career with 55 receptions for 628 yards and three touchdowns. He has duel bachelor of science degree in kinesiology/sociology from the University of Minnesota. Born Nov. 19, 1961 in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., Mularkey and his wife Betsy live in Pittsburgh with sons Patrick (2/15/86) and Shane (1/14/91).

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Could probably rule out Jim Johnson from Philly, Monte Kiffin from Tampa and the Stoops brothers, as they are all locked up with recent fat contracts.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Could probably rule out Jim Johnson from Philly, Monte Kiffin from Tampa and the Stoops brothers, as they are all locked up with recent fat contracts.

UofA has inquired into starting the background check process for Mike Stoops. Reported yesterday on KDUS.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
UofA has inquired into starting the background check process for Mike Stoops. Reported yesterday on KDUS.

I heard that too. I know that Bob Stoops is locked up at about $2M per year. Mike I'm not sure.

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
I emailed in to Monday Quarterback on Espn news to Green asking if he'd even concider coaching the Cardinals if offered... I didn't watch the full 3 hours to see if it was read or not. Anyone watch and maybe know?:confused:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Section 11...Mike Mularky...yes, yes, yes!!! He's worked wonders with the Steeler's offense the last few seasons. Granted, right now, the players aren't executing (their O-line is not up to snuff either), but...let's remember, up until a few years ago, the Steelers were known to be a career-killing stop for any wide receiver, and now they have perhaps the best WR combo in the entire NFL.

Say YES to Mike Mularky as our next coach! Then he can hire a good, solid defensive-minded guy as DC/assistant HC. Perfect scenario! Unfortunately, for that reason...probably never happen.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I would like to see an offensive coach hired.We've gone defense the last 3 times and our defense sems to get worse.Didn't Monte Kiffin turn down SF? He won't come here then,either.How old was Bud Wilkinson when he got hired.I wouldn't rule out Levy because of his age.Look at Jack Mckeon for the Marlins and what he did.I hear Chris Spielman everday on the local radio here and he can't say enough great things about Levy and how he's the best coach he ever played for.Of course,he played for WAyne Fontes in Detroit so tha's not much of a comparison.Hey,maybe Graves will hire WAyne.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Jimmy Johnson decides to return to coaching I don't think it would be hard to get him to come here. Guys like Johnson and Parcells like taking over bad teams. Dallas was 1-15 in JImmy's first year. When you inherit an awful team it's easier to put together the type of personel you like. Ericson took over a talented SF team that doesn't fit what he likes to do and they've been struggling, but he has to work with the system that was already in place.

JJ and Couglin are two possibilities. One took a horrible team and led them to a few SB wins in just a few years and the other built an expansion team from scratch and went to 2 AFC championship games in a short time. These are guys who LIKE the challenge of turning around a bad team.

OP
OP
P

pinnacle

Reaction score
I see no way jimmy johnson comes here...I am not sure he has any interest in coaching again and he seems to be the kind of guy who loves hanging out in the Florida Keys..but...he had his 1st head coaching gig at Oklahoma State - and they were the long time whipping boys of the old Big Eight (and he had to compete for in state players with Oklahoma).

Coughlin...I think he would come here if we paid him enough...

just my personal opinion..

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyrone Willingham.

Loves a challenge. Likes the West. Is finding out recruiting at Notre Dame isn't easy.

He's a hard ass and wouldn't put up with poor effort.

OP
OP
P

pinnacle

Reaction score
skorp: I was thinking Ty actually before Dennis Green - but I figured he would not be leaving any time soon due to their awesome season last year...

but you know alot more about Notre Dame than I...

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Floridacard
If Jimmy Johnson decides to return to coaching I don't think it would be hard to get him to come here. Guys like Johnson and Parcells like taking over bad teams. Dallas was 1-15 in JImmy's first year. When you inherit an awful team it's easier to put together the type of personel you like. Ericson took over a talented SF team that doesn't fit what he likes to do and they've been struggling, but he has to work with the system that was already in place.

JJ and Couglin are two possibilities. One took a horrible team and led them to a few SB wins in just a few years and the other built an expansion team from scratch and went to 2 AFC championship games in a short time. These are guys who LIKE the challenge of turning around a bad team.

Neither Johnson or Coughlin would come to AZ...name one good reason why they would? No fan support, no support from owners, no power to mold the team, stingy with salary cap. abysmal record of losing, etc etc

Once you have made your money it isnt always about taking the job that offers the most. Look at the Cardials last 2 hires-McGinnins and Tobin....no one was clammering over these guys to take other NFL jobs....why on earth would Coughlin, Johnson, Wittingham, Stoops, Santa Claus come to the Cards??

As I have said before it will be a 'no-name', first head coaching job, disciple of someone, but it will not be a big name, established pro or college coach!

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinnacle
Coughlin...I think he would come here if we paid him enough...
just my personal opinion..

Pinnacle:

I think Tom Coughlin would take less than he's making from his Jacksonville contract just to get back in the game. I mean, this guy has friends around the league sending him film so he can break down teams and players on his own time.

BTW, I think the concern over Coughlin driving players away is a crock. I don't see marketable free agents begging to sign/ stay with the Cardinals now, no matter how great a guy Dave McGinnis is. I'd rather get someone in here who'll either force players to play up to their potential, or show 'em the door.

Coughlin's been a winning head coach, at both the college and pro levels, who's had teams play for championships. He's done this before. I'd love to see him come here and do it again.

WC

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Originally posted by LVCARDFREAK
Neither Johnson or Coughlin would come to AZ...name one good reason why they would? No fan support, no support from owners, no power to mold the team, stingy with salary cap. abysmal record of losing, etc etc

LVCardFreak:

I agree with you about Jimmy Johnson. The Miami job was his dream gig--rabid fan base, a supportive and wealthy owner, control over personnel, no restraints on payroll up to the cap, a winning tradition, and the Florida location he loves--and he walked away. I don't think he'll ever coach again.

As for Tom Coughlin, he was a finalist for the Cincinnati Bengals job, coming in 2nd to Marvin Lewis. If there's any team in the league that's comparable to the Cardinals in the areas you've mentioned, it's the Bungles. Coughlin just wants to coach. Give him a team of his own--any team--and get out of the way.

WC

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wild Card
LVCardFreak:

I agree with you about Jimmy Johnson. The Miami job was his dream gig--rabid fan base, a supportive and wealthy owner, control over personnel, no restraints on payroll up to the cap, a winning tradition, and the Florida location he loves--and he walked away. I don't think he'll ever coach again.

As for Tom Coughlin, he was a finalist for the Cincinnati Bengals job, coming in 2nd to Marvin Lewis. If there's any team in the league that's comparable to the Cardinals in the areas you've mentioned, it's the Bungles. Coughlin just wants to coach. Give him a team of his own--any team--and get out of the way.

WC

my problem with that is that Coughlin made such a mess of Jacksonville, you might want to think hard about having a guy like that in AZ.

Cap woes...they are cutting somewhere in the neighborhood of $25 million this year and next: all related to the GM moves of Coughlin

Control freak: I am sure everyone has heard the stories of how he vetoed a certain paint color for the walls in both the visiting and home locker rooms and had them redone. He also hired and fired all personel, including secretatires, personal assistants, and anyone else associated with that team You do know he had no offensive coordinator in Jax as well dont you? He was both HC and OC

Hard on players; I have no problem, in fact welcome, a hard training camp and a departure from camp cupcake, but that isnt where it ends with Coughlin. He practices his team in the middle of December like he would in August, and frankly, with the realities of the NFL and injuries that is just not possible to do!

Alienating players/coaches: see above. Players will respect someone who works them hard but they wont respect someone who ruins careers. Ever check out how many injury settlements this team had under Coughlin's reign?? He doesnt work players hard, he destroys careers!

Fans: I am sure everyone is aware of his outburst to fans who booed the Jags the last few years. If questioned by reporters on his reactions to fans Coughline 'simply leaves the lecturn and walks out of the room"-That goes a long way to building that fan base Bidwill will want for the new stadium!

I dont like the man, dont think he is a good coach and it has been proven time and again that eventually his players resent him and quit trying. I just dont think it would be a good match with this team and I doubt seriously if he would consider even coming to AZ seeing how the Bidwills would want him to be their puppet.....

just my 2 cents

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
my problem with that is that Coughlin made such a mess of Jacksonville, you might want to think hard about having a guy like that in AZ.

Cap woes...they are cutting somewhere in the neighborhood of $25 million this year and next: all related to the GM moves of Coughlin

Control freak: I am sure everyone has heard the stories of how he vetoed a certain paint color for the walls in both the visiting and home locker rooms and had them redone. He also hired and fired all personel, including secretatires, personal assistants, and anyone else associated with that team You do know he had no offensive coordinator in Jax as well dont you? He was both HC and OC

Hard on players; I have no problem, in fact welcome, a hard training camp and a departure from camp cupcake, but that isnt where it ends with Coughlin. He practices his team in the middle of December like he would in August, and frankly, with the realities of the NFL and injuries that is just not possible to do!

Alienating players/coaches: see above. Players will respect someone who works them hard but they wont respect someone who ruins careers. Ever check out how many injury settlements this team had under Coughlin's reign?? He doesnt work players hard, he destroys careers!

Fans: I am sure everyone is aware of his outburst to fans who booed the Jags the last few years. If questioned by reporters on his reactions to fans Coughline 'simply leaves the lecturn and walks out of the room"-That goes a long way to building that fan base Bidwill will want for the new stadium!

I dont like the man, dont think he is a good coach and it has been proven time and again that eventually his players resent him and quit trying. I just dont think it would be a good match with this team and I doubt seriously if he would consider even coming to AZ seeing how the Bidwills would want him to be their puppet.....

just my 2 cents

Excellent post, and it isn't even mentioning the fact that he forces injured players that shouldn't be playing into playing.

What he has done to a few players is borderline criminal.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

just my 2 cents

you're right on all those counts. i only have two counter-arguments:

AFC Championship Games
Multiple Playoff Appearances

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
Excellent post, and it isn't even mentioning the fact that (Coughlin) forces injured players that shouldn't be playing into playing. What he has done to a few players is borderline criminal.

Krang:

I'm not aware of any legal actions brought against Tom Coughlin, let alone any judgments. Innocent until proven guilty, man. For what it's worth, Coughlin reacts pretty strongly to the suggestion that he's pressured the medical staff to clear players:

http://espn.go.com/gen/s/2002/0912/1431095.html

>>Coughlin bristles at this observation, allowing only that he wasn't happy to learn of player injuries.

"Let's face it, I'm a football coach," he said firmly, his crystalline blue eyes offering no sense of uncertainty. "I'm just like any other football coach. I want players to be on the field. You're darn right I want them out of the training room and on the field. But unreasonably? No. And the medical people always have the last word."<<

Sure, I get the sense that with Coughlin, it's his way or the highway. The same article makes reference to his standards for player attitude and commitment:

>>Coughlin, Lombardi's kind of coach, calls it the Concentration Line. When players pass through this imaginary threshold on their way out to the field, they are expected by Coughlin, the Jaguars' coach since the club's inception in 1995, to set aside all matters not directly related to playing football -- money, family, aches, pains, anything that could distract from the goal of total, full-body commitment to winning.<<

Maybe that's part of the reason the Jaguars went 14-2 in their fourth season.

WC

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
I heard that too. I know that Bob Stoops is locked up at about $2M per year. Mike I'm not sure.

man that would be so cool if the cardinals hired Mike stoops as the DC. good lord.

but lets leave bobby out this. bobby belongs at Oklahoma.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Crimson Warrior
man that would be so cool if the cardinals hired Mike stoops as the DC. good lord.

but lets leave bobby out this. bobby belongs at Oklahoma.

Yes, at Oklahoma, Stoops will never have to worry about the salary cap. There, the boosters will buy him any player he needs.

I can't see him coaching the Cards.

:D

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
Yes, at Oklahoma, Stoops will never have to worry about the salary cap. There, the boosters will buy him any player he needs.

I can't see him coaching the Cards.

:D

ya better smile when you say that pard-na! :D

Bob Stoops, head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. That should be a "naughty" dream for cardinals fans.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ouchie-Z-Clown
you're right on all those counts. i only have two counter-arguments:

AFC Championship Games
Multiple Playoff Appearances

True True, but dont you think it is quaite a different situation? I mean he took an expansion team, with no identity, and lots of money, and made them winners.

In AZ he would have to deal with decades of losing, owners not so willing to spend their money, and a less than avergae fan base (present company excluded)

Even if you can make the arguement that he is a great coach, I think it would take a very specific type of owner to make it work Coughlin's way. He has made no bones that he is in control, and the last time the Bidwill's did that, we came away with the Buddy Ryan disaster...

I just dont think it is a good match, and I doubt either side would want the other one.

OP
OP
P

pinnacle

Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that coughlin has indicated that he would like to go to a team that had a GM - he supposedly does not want complete power because he felt like it was too difficult to do both jobs and he wants to focus on teaching, scheming, etc....

I think I read this a few weeks ago..anyone else remember seeing something like this?