Igor Kokoskov gets a second interview with the Suns

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt he's a huge favorite for casual followers, but he seems to be a favorite among basketball nerds. I use my Twitter account primarily for sports news. I follow mainly basketball insiders, Suns writers, and the like, and he is a clear favorite among that crowd (now that Budenholzer is no longer an option).

I like that he has a lot of experience as an NBA assistant with a wide variety of teams, I like that he's a teacher and a strategist more than a motivational type, I like that those who played for him say only great things, I like what he's done working with Rubio and the Jazz this year, and I'm very impressed by his work leading Slovenia to the Eurobasket championship and destroying Spain in the semifinals.

I'm not as excited about him as I was Budenholzer, but he's definitely a standout candidate imho given the other options (at least from the outside looking in).
It's also good that head coaches that have worked with him like Snyder and Gentry only have great things to say about him.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read his entire bio and most of my fiends are either season ticket holders or die hards. I wouldn't consider any of them "casual". I just have not heard much excitement. The biggest knock I keep hearing over and over is that this is a typical Suns head coach hire. In other words another leap type guy verses an established guy with head coaching experience in the NBA.

One of my buddies made a good point to me yesterday. He said it's almost as if they are gambling the guy turns into Pringles 2.0.

Again, not against the hire one bit but it does seem like a "Suns" type HC hire.
I wouldn't say it's a Suns type hire but I would say it's a Sarver type hire for sure. He has NEVER hired an established coach.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's also good that head coaches that have worked with him like Snyder and Gentry only have great things to say about him.
I would love to see this as a plus but don't these coaches ALWAYS say great things about one another? When was the last time you have heard one coach criticize another coach as a bad coach?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Scott Brooks still coaching the Wiz? He’s def not a championship level coach but is a great bridge coach who can raise young talent.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's a Suns type hire but I would say it's a Sarver type hire for sure. He has NEVER hired an established coach.

Can’t separate the Suns from Sarver anymore.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Watching this has convinced me. I've grown so accustomed to watching the Suns just stand around and do nothing for 20 seconds that forgot what an actual offense looks like.

I know Igor would be another first time HC. But I'd rather give him a shot than go with any of the retreads being thrown around.

Edit: And here's a pretty decent read from Reddit:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns are hiring Utah Jazz assistant Igor Kokoskov as their new head coach, league sources tell ESPN. Kokoskov, a native of Serbia, will be the first European born head coach in the NBA.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns are hiring Utah Jazz assistant Igor Kokoskov as their new head coach, league sources tell ESPN. Kokoskov, a native of Serbia, will be the first European born head coach in the NBA.

Yep, just read that on Twitter. It's a done deal.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kokoskov is signing a three-year deal with the Suns, league sources tell ESPN.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Igor Kokoskov to become 19th head coach in Suns franchise history.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Big-time hire for the Suns. Kokoskov was tremendous with the Slovenian National Team this summer and has an excellent track record in the NBA. Great guy. Familiarity with potential top-3 pick Luka Doncic doesn't hurt either.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns have a new head coach after conducting a thorough interview process.

According to a report from ESPN, the Suns are hiring Utah Jazz assistant Igor Kokoskov to a three-year deal with no options, making him the first European born head coach in the NBA.

Kokoskov will remain with the Jazz until their playoff run is over. Utah is currently playing the Houston Rockets in the Western Conference Semifinals.
http://amicohoops.net/suns-hire-jazz-assistant-kokoskov-as-new-coach/

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big-time hire for the Suns. Kokoskov was tremendous with the Slovenian National Team this summer and has an excellent track record in the NBA. Great guy. Familiarity with potential top-3 pick Luka Doncic doesn't hurt either.

Big time? I don't think so. It might end up being a good hire but Big time? Uh no.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will take awhile before we know if it's really a good hire but right now, it feels like a GREAT hire. :koolaid:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big time? I don't think so. It might end up being a good hire but Big time? Uh no.

It might end up being a poor hire but yeah, I'd call it big time too. He's the first European born Head Coach in the NBA and his hiring is viewed very positively around the league and probably around the basketball playing world. There was no bigger splash available for the Suns IMO. I just hope we didn't hire him for PR reasons (not that I think we did).

Last edited: