Igor Kokoskov gets a second interview with the Suns

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It might end up being a poor hire but yeah, I'd call it big time too. He's the first foreign born Head Coach in the NBA and his hiring is viewed very positively around the league and probably around the basketball playing world. There was no bigger splash available for the Suns IMO. I just hope we didn't hire him for PR reasons (not that I think we did).
Yeah. I think big time. Nothing but absolute raves, almost shock, around the league. The only bigger hire would have been Bud (or Jay Wright). But he did not seem to be a fit with the team and management.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I think big time. Nothing but absolute raves, almost shock, around the league. The only bigger hire would have been Bud (or Jay Wright). But he did not seem to be a fit with the team and management.

I actually think it's a bigger hire than Bud would have been. It helps the NBA get one step closer to being a truly global game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might end up being a poor hire but yeah, I'd call it big time too. He's the first European born Head Coach in the NBA and his hiring is viewed very positively around the league and probably around the basketball playing world. There was no bigger splash available for the Suns IMO. I just hope we didn't hire him for PR reasons (not that I think we did).

you don't think Budholzer would have been a bigger splash? I think that would be pretty tough to argue.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you don't think Budholzer would have been a bigger splash? I think that would be pretty tough to argue.

I'm not quite the Bud fan so many here seem to be. I think he would have made us a better team in short order but I doubt he lasts for long anywhere. He struggles in his personal interactions and his act wears quickly on some players. But even if he is the best candidate, this is bigger simply because of it's international impact. It will draw positive attention to the Suns and we really could use some of that right now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might end up being a poor hire but yeah, I'd call it big time too. He's the first European born Head Coach in the NBA and his hiring is viewed very positively around the league and probably around the basketball playing world. There was no bigger splash available for the Suns IMO. I just hope we didn't hire him for PR reasons (not that I think we did).

Big time for him but not the NBA. That is reserved for marquee coaches. Again could end up being a solid hire. I hope so!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not quite the Bud fan so many here seem to be. I think he would have made us a better team in short order but I doubt he lasts for long anywhere. He struggles in his personal interactions and his act wears quickly on some players. But even if he is the best candidate, this is bigger simply because of it's international impact. It will draw positive attention to the Suns and we really could use some of that right now.
That is an interesting perspective. I am ready for the Suns to have a quality coach that we keep around for 10 years. He might have some ups and downs, but we stay with it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big time for him but not the NBA. That is reserved for marquee coaches. Again could end up being a solid hire. I hope so!

By whom? This is the most positive press we've had since the Nash years, for that reason alone I'd call it BIG TIME. And from the posts I've read from NBA insiders and analysts, it's big time for the League too.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You mean retreads? The only marquee coaches I can think of right now would be Bud and Wright. All the others have serious baggage.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is an interesting perspective. I am ready for the Suns to have a quality coach that we keep around for 10 years. He might have some ups and downs, but we stay with it.

The only reason I haven't talked about it more is that Pop, at one time, had a very similar reputation and look what he's turned into. But yes, it would be great if this is the last Head Coach hire we make for a decade or more. At least Igor already lives in the Valley and he already has a relationship with Sarver. Two big stumbling blocks when you bring in someone new.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Solid perspective. No quibbles there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean retreads? The only marquee coaches I can think of right now would be Bud and Wright. All the others have serious baggage.

Van Gundy would have been a big time hire, but there was no way he or Wright were coming here.

Look... this could have been A LOT worse so since they did something that DIDNT piss me off or embarrass themselves, I can actually chalk this up as a W.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Van Gundy would have been a big time hire, but there was no way he or Wright were coming here.

Look... this could have been A LOT worse so since they did something that DIDNT piss me off or embarrass themselves, I can actually chalk this up as a W.
Cheese is not pissed. I call that a win.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By whom? This is the most positive press we've had since the Nash years, for that reason alone I'd call it BIG TIME. And from the posts I've read from NBA insiders and analysts, it's big time for the League too.

Everyone. Positive press is good. He might end up being a great coach.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
backyardunwieldy