I'll Take Spurrier

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap. Spurrier has parted ways with the Redskins. Call him Rod. He can coach. It's that maniac Snyder who needed to go. Young QBs and lotsa golf courses make Spurrier's toes tingle.

Rams4evah

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by wallyburger
Holy crap. Spurrier has parted ways with the Redskins. Call him Rod. He can coach. It's that maniac Snyder who needed to go. Young QBs and lotsa golf courses make Spurrier's toes tingle.

Hes all yours. Do you want a red ribbon attached to him?

pinnacle

Reaction score
spurrier's agent said he was taking the year off and would re-enter coaching in 2005 at the college level (florida state head coach perhaps????)....or so they said on the radio (not the FSU part)...FYI...

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
He cannot coach in the NFL for the remainder of his 3 year contract without adequate compensation to the tune of $15 million...that and he really sucks as an NFL coach. I bet he wishes he never cut Stephen Davis now!

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: I'll Take Spurrier

Originally posted by Rams4evah
Hes all yours. Do you want a red ribbon attached to him?

Nah. Just a sun visor.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: I'll Take Spurrier

Originally posted by Jttsaz
He cannot coach in the NFL for the remainder of his 3 year contract without adequate compensation to the tune of $15 million...that and he really sucks as an NFL coach. I bet he wishes he never cut Stephen Davis now!

Nope he resigned, which means he gets no monies for the remainder of his contract. He'd get the money if he was fired. He comes free of compensation.

As far as coaching ability, he can flat ass coach. That raggedy ass roster he was saddled with in Washington was a joke. Old worn out hangers on that Snyder signed. The owner was cutting players and making personnel decisions without consulting Spurrier or the GM. Snyder is the king of meddling owners and has a Napoleanic complex to boot. The only mistake Spurrier made was believing Snyder would leave him alone and let him coach. Hell, Spurrier was the 3rd Redskin head coach since 1999. He fired Turner, Schottenheimer and now has run Spurrier out of town. He has won big wherever he has coached. USFL, Duke, Florida. He'll be back. I think he would love to stick it up Snyder's tiny butt.

Last edited:

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: I'll Take Spurrier

Nope he resigned, which means he gets no monies for the remainder of his contract. He'd get the money if he was fired. He comes free of compensation.

I believe if he takes another NFL job before the last three years are up the team that wants him has to come to terms with Washington.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: I'll Take Spurrier

Originally posted by SECTION 11
I believe if he takes another NFL job before the last three years are up the team that wants him has to come to terms with Washington.

There are no terms. He was on a 5 year contract. He quit. He gets no money. Snyder released him. Snyder can't have it both ways. If he wants to prevent Spurier from coaching, he has to pay him. There is no non compete clause. That was the deal worked out by Snyder and Spurier's agent. He is a free man.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'll Take Spurrier

There are no terms. He was on a 5 year contract. He quit. He gets no money. Snyder released him. Snyder can't have it both ways. If he wants to prevent Spurier from coaching, he has to pay him. There is no non compete clause. That was the deal worked out by Snyder and Spurier's agent. He is a free man.

Not compensation for Spurrier, compensation for the Redskins.
Visor gets nothing. The Skins most likely would get picks from whoever wanted Visor as HC.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'll Take Spurrier

Originally posted by SECTION 11
Not compensation for Spurrier, compensation for the Redskins.
Visor gets nothing. The Skins most likely would get picks from whoever wanted Visor as HC.

I retract and apologize after reading this by Len Paquarelli in ESPN.Com.

" League officials said that the matter will basically be treated as a resignation. That means Spurrier will technically remain under contract to the Redskins for three more years. Any team seeking to hire him during that time would have to compensate the Redskins with draft choices, money, or both."

It seems that semantics are a battleground in this one. Egos won't allow Snyder to say Spurrier resigned and Spurrier agreed to say " he resigned " to get the hell out of Dodge City.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't want Spurrier here if he was paying the Cardinals. Money has nothing to do with how poorly his poop flies in the NFL.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'll Take Spurrier

I retract and apologize after reading this by Len Paquarelli in ESPN.Com.

no apology needed.

what a weird situation they have over there.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Worst coach in the NFL! Even worse than McGinnis!

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
I wouldn't want Spurrier here if he was paying the Cardinals. Money has nothing to do with how poorly his poop flies in the NFL.

Seriously, Pariah, are you basing his coaching ability on that mess in D.C. ? That would be very shortsighted if you are. Good gosh, he played in the NFL for 12 years, coached in the USFL, and won in college where no one else could by flat ass outscoring everyone. He is as exciting as they come. And this comes from a die hard Hurricane fan who hated Florida until Spurrier arrived. Now I just hate them when they play the Canes. Well not any more since he left. God Gawd man, he won the ACC championship with Duke. His players love him, he holds his players accountable, and he lets his coaches coach unless they can't and then replaces them.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously, Pariah, are you basing his coaching ability on that mess in D.C. ? That would be very shortsighted if you are. Good gosh, he played in the NFL for 12 years, coached in the USFL, and won in college where no one else could by flat ass outscoring everyone. He is as exciting as they come. And this comes from a die hard Hurricane fan who hated Florida until Spurrier arrived. Now I just hate them when they play the Canes. Well not any more since he left. God Gawd man, he won the ACC championship with Duke. His players love him, he holds his players accountable, and he lets his coaches coach unless they can't and then replaces them.

Yup, I am basing his coiaching ability on the mess in DC. That's his mess. He had all the talent in the world there and he coached it into disarray.

He's one heck of a college coach. So was Barry Switzer. But sometimes that just doesn't translate to the NFL.

When I said his poop doesn't fly in the pros, what I mean is that he needs to adjust to the pro game. What he showed me in the NFL is that he was very reluctant to do that, and his team suffered for it (i.e. last years QB carousel, releasing Davis, signing Trung, leaving Ramsey out to dry).

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
Yup, I am basing his coiaching ability on the mess in DC. That's his mess. He had all the talent in the world there and he coached it into disarray.

He's one heck of a college coach. So was Barry Switzer. But sometimes that just doesn't translate to the NFL.

When I said his poop doesn't fly in the pros, what I mean is that he needs to adjust to the pro game. What he showed me in the NFL is that he was very reluctant to do that, and his team suffered for it (i.e. last years QB carousel, releasing Davis, signing Trung, leaving Ramsey out to dry).

Okay, but I don't agree. That roster sucks and he has no say over it.

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score
Okay, but I don't agree. That roster sucks and he has no say over it.

Dunno if I trust any HC who says his go to guy at QB is Danny Weurffel.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jmr667
Dunno if I trust any HC who says his go to guy at QB is Danny Weurffel.

Ramsey, when healthy was his QB. Snyder cut Weurffel. He needed Weurffel to teach his sytem to the rest of the team, not run it long term and that was the deal he had with Danny.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SunCityCarl
Sorry Wally the last person this football team needs is a "quitter" & you may call it whatever you want "resign", "quit", "gave up", it still leaves the Redskins "high & dry" (Though they may deserve it) it's freakin wrong!! A quitter will never win in the NFL."

Checkout this column by Merrill Hoge

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=hoge_merrill&id=1696857

Please tell me your kidding about that article. Merrill Hoge the ex running back as a journalist? No thanks. I've seen Hoge's act on ESPN and he is devoid of credibility. Snyder ran Spurrier's butt out of there. 3 coaches in 4 years and you believe Spurrier quit? If he did quit, that is the act of a sane man trying to keep his sanity. Daniel Snyder is an idiot and throws around his Internet dollars like it's a game of Monopoly.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that squad has and or/had a lot of talent:

QB: Ramsey
RB: Spurrier cut Davis (my theory? so he didn't have to hear how he should use his RB weapon)
WR: Coles, Gardner, McCants

Those are some pretty key pieces in place on offense. I'll give you their o-line needs help, though.

DE: Smith
DT: Dalton
LB: Arrington, Trotter, Armstead
CB: Bailey, Smoot

And, on defense they have the players to be very good, also. The guys that they have filling the other positions are average. But, the talent at cb and lb should more then make up for the abysmal preformance they had.

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wally,

Hoge not as a journalist as a "player".. I can't imagine any NFL player wanting to line up for this caricature of a head coach now. I think Spurrier had enough talent to at least play .500 in D.C. I'll give you the fact that the Cardinals job is probably more widely "wanted" than working for Dan Snyder. But c'mon no playbook? I think SS will take a year off and then it's back to college, he is the Bud Wilkinson of this generation...