I'm giddy....SHAQ IS PISSED.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
they're screwed because of Hill's injury... and because DA is a moron, not because the tortilla's not around anymore.
ok I agree to an extent. I understand that marion was overpaid and his offensive stats were inflated like many of his other teammates because of steve nash. I understand that because of his status fans came down hard on him and he lashed back at them or at the front office. but the guy played hard especially when it came to defense and rebounding. I still think they miss his perimeter defense, but I understand why they made the trade. they needed a presence in the paint at both ends.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok I agree to an extent. I understand that marion was overpaid and his offensive stats were inflated like many of his other teammates because of steve nash. I understand that because of his status fans came down hard on him and he lashed back at them or at the front office. but the guy played hard especially when it came to defense and rebounding. I still think they miss his perimeter defense, but I understand why they made the trade. they needed a presence in the paint at both ends.

No doubt we will miss Marion, but for some reason i will still pick Shaq over him, not that i think Shaq is still that good but there are some invaluable intangibles he brings.
I agree that our loss today was due to our perimeter defense but like i said earlier if the suns cant make the neccesary adjustment in the next 2 home games then they deserve to lose.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score

I believe you could have done better trading marion for a tough perimeter defender and some picks while keeping Thomas.

Even if you do the shaq trade, which i have always thought was a desperate move, if you have the team you had tonight and take KT off the spurs and put him back on the suns, you would dominate them. At least that's my observation.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
ok maybe marion couldn't score against the spurs....because that's what suns fans always complained most about shawn. but his periemeter defense and rebounding are clearly missed. let's just ask raja....to a man he'd be a liar not to say he needs some more help out there. parker and ginobli are getting in the lane without a problem...

Although it's definitely not a popular idea on this board, there are some other "reality"-minded people who see it the same way:
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/114546

"And now we know the truth.
The Suns miss Marion more than they’ll ever admit.
O’Neal is doing everything he can. He had 19 points and 14 rebounds and held Duncan to 18 points on 8-of-20 shooting. But Steve Nash can’t keep Parker out of the lane, Raja Bell is helpless against Ginobili and O’Neal isn’t quick enough to compensate for the porous perimeter defense.
The result: San Antonio had an incredible 128 points in the paint the first two games."

The second sentence is supported by various threads and comments on this board since the trade over two months ago. Usually when a player is traded--he's traded, he's gone, and that's that. Instead, the Marion haters zeroed in like vultures on the aftermath of the trade and paid an inordinate amount of attention to what followed. They reveled in Miami's downfall, noted every sub-par game, and theorized with pleasure (and at length) about how much Shawn must regret leaving the championship-bound Suns.

Truth is, no matter how it plays out, Marion's probably glad to be out of here.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although it's definitely not a popular idea on this board, there are some other "reality"-minded people who see it the same way:
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/114546

"And now we know the truth.
The Suns miss Marion more than they’ll ever admit.
O’Neal is doing everything he can. He had 19 points and 14 rebounds and held Duncan to 18 points on 8-of-20 shooting. But Steve Nash can’t keep Parker out of the lane, Raja Bell is helpless against Ginobili and O’Neal isn’t quick enough to compensate for the porous perimeter defense.
The result: San Antonio had an incredible 128 points in the paint the first two games."

The second sentence is supported by various threads and comments on this board since the trade over two months ago. Usually when a player is traded--he's traded, he's gone, and that's that. Instead, the Marion haters zeroed in like vultures on the aftermath of the trade and paid an inordinate amount of attention to what followed. They reveled in Miami's downfall, noted every sub-par game, and theorized with pleasure (and at length) about how much Shawn must regret leaving the championship-bound Suns.

Truth is, no matter how it plays out, Marion's probably glad to be out of here.

I bet he his, how many times was Marion able to keep Parker out of the lane, Parker still got decent number with Marion in the line up, go search the spurs board the LOVE Marion in the line-up. Duncan is the biggest threat not Parker and O'neal is doing a decent job. If Grant can get well enough he will do a decent job on Parker and this is more of a coaching flaw too on D'Antoni.

nowagimp

Reaction score

Yeah well, duh, an injured hill and bell dont play good perimeter defense and a healthy nash and barbs dont either. Raja Bell looked like an ordinary defender on FINLEY for crap sake. The suns had no shot to win anything with marion, none at all. If marion was on this team, he'd be guarding TD a good part of the time, not parker, that is unless you think amare or diaw would last all game in there. The suns are cooked because once again they have some critical injuries. And yes, I agree with cheese, where the hell was Linton Johnson when these guys had a parade to the hoop? When Johnson was first signed and bell was still struggling with injuries, Johnsons defense was so much better, he made bell look like a developmental league player. Bell came back and was outstanding, then twisted that ankle again and rested ONE GAME, yeah right. Raja Bell and grant hill will not heal this year in the high intensity playoff environment, the suns cant win it all anyway without those guys or at least servicable replacements at the 2,3. Anybody who thinks that DJ or skinner could do those things -even with alot of PT this year- is dreaming. DJ is a 3 year project, and skinner is an accident waiting to happen as soon as he gets on the floor.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah well, duh, an injured hill and bell dont play good perimeter defense and a healthy nash and barbs dont either. Raja Bell looked like an ordinary defender on FINLEY for crap sake. The suns had no shot to win anything with marion, none at all. If marion was on this team, he'd be guarding TD a good part of the time, not parker, that is unless you think amare or diaw would last all game in there. The suns are cooked because once again they have some critical injuries. And yes, I agree with cheese, where the hell was Linton Johnson when these guys had a parade to the hoop? When Johnson was first signed and bell was still struggling with injuries, Johnsons defense was so much better, he made bell look like a developmental league player. Bell came back and was outstanding, then twisted that ankle again and rested ONE GAME, yeah right. Raja Bell and grant hill will not heal this year in the high intensity playoff environment, the suns cant win it all anyway without those guys or at least servicable replacements at the 2,3. Anybody who thinks that DJ or skinner could do those things -even with alot of PT this year- is dreaming. DJ is a 3 year project, and skinner is an accident waiting to happen as soon as he gets on the floor.

:yeahthat:

nowagimp

Reaction score
I believe you could have done better trading marion for a tough perimeter defender and some picks while keeping Thomas.

Even if you do the shaq trade, which i have always thought was a desperate move, if you have the team you had tonight and take KT off the spurs and put him back on the suns, you would dominate them. At least that's my observation.

Dont know about the dominate, thats stretching it quite a bit. One thing for sure, that suns team would get eaten by the hornets in the next round. David West and chandler would destroy amare and KT in the next round. One thing I remember for KT last year, he WAS good for 25 minutes as long as he defended a relatively slow player(not david west and not carlos Boozer, they would eat KT up). After 25 minutes, KT fell apart with old man wheeze, was a defensive sieve.

midgetdonkey

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Shaq is old and overrated. It's funny how you people thought he was a savior.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
Shaq is a carnival attraction. A washed up heavyweight past his prime, who thinks he still is a champion. Way to go, Kerr.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
well last year the suns were close to beating the spurs with marion. many believed not only here.....but according to many here........many around the nation felt the suns got cheated out of their title. that with marion. a year later they are getting waxed on the perimeter and parker is having his way on the perimeter. again I thought marion did a wonderful job defensively in the playoffs last year. we aren't talking about one on one defense here. we are talking about rotation on the perimeter...they miss marion in that regard especially in terms of helping on ginobli and parker. shaq is huge for rebounding when he's on the court. but he won't leave the paint to guard duncan and can't give you the quality energy and mins. that marion could give you. good luck to the suns in the next game. they need to do something at either end to get it going. I understand the trade....but I never agreed with it from the start. I feel the same about the kidd-harris trade. I hope everything works out for both teams at the end.

Treat

Reaction score
"I just wanted to play aggressive, but the floppers prevailed today. Amare and myself are going to continue to play aggressive," O'Neal said of his foul trouble. "Hopefully those guys will compete rather than just fall down."

"They know we let them have one," O'Neal said. "All we need is one in this building."

FACT: You have to have followed Shaq his entire career to read between the lines and know what he truly meant. Game 2, when Shaq fouls, he will foul HARD, not hard enough for a flagrant, but to send a message. Shaq might even "fall" a few times to see how they like it.

FACT: When Shaquille O'Neal is pissed, he dominates the next game. He will defend Duncan so much better and will be a major factor the next game.

FACT: I am giddy over here because there is nothing better to see in basketball than a pissed off Shaq clearly on a mission to get a win...especially with his 5th championship in his sights.

Bloody homer. Still giddy?