Improved But We Could Be Better

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedRage said:
How? you gonna take moss or owens who are already far into theyr careers? boldin has been in the nfl only 2 years and has the potential to be the best, hes like spiderman out there on the field. ill take hime. plus his work ethic and attitude is head and shoulders above most the WR headcases out there

Torry Holt, Andre Johnson, Chad Johnson or even Javon Walker ring a bell?

Boldin doesn't have the potential to be the best - he has the potential to be very good - if not GREAT - but his lack of true burner speed will always keep him at a notch below the first three guys listed above.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
JPlay said:
And Griffith's numbers are much better than Hamlin's, plus Hamlin is coming off of injury, but this will be Griffith's first year at FS instead of SS.

Whoa... this is also insanity. Do you remember Hamlin's game at SDS when he was a rookie? The guy is a force of nature out there. He'll go to a couple Pro Bowls before all is said and done, and sooner rather than later.

Griffith is the definition of "washed up". He couldn't keep a roster spot on the Browns. I'm not saying that he won't contribute, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing a lot of special teams after Olahete beats him out in training camp. I'd trade Griffith for Hamlin in a second.

Homerism runs rampant on this board in July... I always forget that fans lose all perspective in the months before training camp.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Homerism runs rampant on this board in July... I always forget that fans lose all perspective in the months before training camp.

Comn kerouac, you should know better!!!

:D

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

Boldin doesn't have the potential to be the best - he has the potential to be very good - if not GREAT - but his lack of true burner speed will always keep him at a notch below the first three guys listed above.

ill take boldin

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Whoa... this is also insanity. Do you remember Hamlin's game at SDS when he was a rookie? The guy is a force of nature out there. He'll go to a couple Pro Bowls before all is said and done, and sooner rather than later.

Griffith is the definition of "washed up". He couldn't keep a roster spot on the Browns. I'm not saying that he won't contribute, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing a lot of special teams after Olahete beats him out in training camp. I'd trade Griffith for Hamlin in a second.

Not to hate on my own players, but Hamlin is someone I would take any day over Grif.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I would take Hines Ward over any reciever. Go ahead argue with me someone please.

Boldin, in the slot - has all the makings of a younger, stronger Hines Ward...

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
boildins lack of speed sure didnt stop him in 2003, or to almost be #1 on the team in half a season in 2004 while being misused. Watching boldin come in and do what he has done has made him my favorite card and possibly favorite player of all time, i just hope it was the tip of the fireball (no icebergs in az)

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

Right ! like Jerry Rice...

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

But never you, right?

Looking forward to your first post when you don't go out of your way to insult someone's intelligence... :)

OP
OP
john h

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
The only way you can think the Bidwills are planning to hoard the remaining 5 million in cap space is if you believe they have no intention of extending Boldin at all. That would run slap counter to things Green and Graves have said, so I don't buy it. Now, whether a deal can be struck, or not, who knows?

The Bidwills are first and foremost business people as are many owners. Some like Washington do not care how much they spend. The Bidwills are not hoarding money. It is just my opinion they look at their bottom line and decide they need to retain some money. After all we were the only team in the NFL to lose money. Opinion again but if we are going to sign Boldin what are we waiting for? I do not think it is good business to sign a guy who still has two years on his contract and some questions about his health. When it comes to money you can be sure it is the Bidwills who set the budget and not Graves and Green. The Bidwills are certainly in the very lower bracket of owners when it comes to net worth. They want a winner but they will always manage their money ahead of any other consideration. Football is a game but not to the owners. It is a business.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Big Davis75:
I don't like the WS comparison, the Sox had the second hihest payroll in baseball. Who is the David and who is the Goliath?

Ha ha. I forgot I was a series off. The Series feat. Yankees/Marlins.
I know, big baseball fan, but I'd never really gotten back into it after the strike. I miss a couple games here and there.

Sorry!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Right ! like Jerry Rice...

that's great - the absolute exception to the rule. THAT proves a point like nothing else! Rice had pull away speed - something we really haven't seen from Q. Not to mention that Rice played in an era where speed and athleticism isn't at the levels that it's at now with today's athlete.

Last edited:

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
but it is an era in which a DB gives a WR an overly malicious eyeball or says something detremental about his mom and the D gets a flag. And don't EVEN think about touching the route runner before, during, or after the play is over.

So we'll see J-Rice's numbers broken one day if someone can have a long career, but we'll all know it's like, say a certain RB record broken (no hate to Emmitt).

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

Your giving people hell because Boldin only had 'one good year'. But then list Andre Johnson and Javon Walker? WTF?

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
But never you, right?

Looking forward to your first post when you don't go out of your way to insult someone's intelligence... :)

Canuck, you have forgot that only 'dark siders' can get on their high horse on this board. It's pretty much the golden rule that they can look down on people, simply because they don't share the same opinion. ;)

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redsz said:
Your giving people hell because Boldin only had 'one good year'. But then list Andre Johnson and Javon Walker? WTF?

"giving people hell"? Are you kidding here? I think some people may be a little sensitive. Sorry if I disagree strongly - especially when someone brings up Boldin as a WR they would want more than any other in the league - that's a pretty strong statement - one that's gonna bring back a likely strong response. Then as far as your second statement - Andre Johnson had a very good rookie year with 976 and then got better with 1150 and 6 tds in his second years - how that is only "one good year" is a bit beyond me - and with Walker - if you notice, I said "MAYBE even Walker" - really because BOTH of have only had one good year, it's just that Walker actually made an impact with his one good year, whereas Boldin didn't.

As far as your next post about the darksiders and their high horse - it's time to get out of 2003. And the darksiders don't look down on other opinions because their "different than theirs" - that's just silly. They (we) look on down on those opinions because OURS are BETTER than yours.:D

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Also, only the most homer or ignorant of fans would say that Anquan Boldin is a better player than Darrell Jackson at this point.

This is just a dumb comment. You can quote statistics as much as you want but I doubt many GM's would agree with you, and at the very least your statement is a gross exaggeration. Jackson is a very effective player but drops an ungodly amount of balls and rarely makes a big catch. In Boldin's only real season, he was basically unguardable even, with Jeff Blake throwing to him and no other weapons on the team. Jackson has always had weapons all around him. Boldin is also far better blocker, which is something that doesn't show statistically, but really does matter in the grand scheme of things.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
"giving people hell"? Are you kidding here? I think some people may be a little sensitive. Sorry if I disagree strongly - especially when someone brings up Boldin as a WR they would want more than any other in the league - that's a pretty strong statement - one that's gonna bring back a likely strong response.

The key is: 'Boldin as a WR they would want more than any other in the league'. Simply because you rate other guys above Boldin doesn't mean they do.

I would want Chad Johnson or Hines Ward more than Randy Moss or TO. Because I believe they are better team players than ether of the afore mentioned.

They care about their team and want to win. They are better blockers and give 100% EVERY play. This is not something I can say about Moss or TO.

Then as far as your second statement - Andre Johnson had a very good rookie year with 976 and then got better with 1150 and 6 tds in his second years - how that is only "one good year" is a bit beyond me -

But in your own words, he didn't have a 'impact'. His team had 7 wins last year. That simply makes him a 'good' WR. No better than Boldin.;)

and with Walker - if you notice, I said "MAYBE even Walker" - really because BOTH of have only had one good year, it's just that Walker actually made an impact with his one good year, whereas Boldin didn't.

Let me guess, Walker made an 'impact' because his team won more games? I'm sure the Packers having a HOF QB had nothing to do with Walkers 'impact'.

The fact that Boldin put up the numbers he did with Jeff Blake at QB is a credit to his ability as a player. He didn't have a future HOF QB at the helm (or a great O-line and running game for that matter) to help get him the ball.

Can you imagine how AWFUL this 2003 team would of been if we didn't have Boldin? *shudder*

Last edited:

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

Anquan Boldin Rookie#'s 101 receptions, NFL Record; 1377 yds, led rookie receivers, most rookie yards in last 7 or so years[Randy Moss]... :thumbup: Also AB has another NFL Record [most receptions first 2 years in the league-167]

101 receptions, 1377 yds., 8? td's on a team that won only 4 games and he was double-teamed every game as the Cards only receiving threat?
How many receivers in the NFL today have 2 NFL Records under their belt?
Let us reduce that number to 1 by restating that, to say 2 NFL records in the first two years of his career..

Kerouac9 and anyone else.. straightup statistically speaking, AQ has two NFL records in two years... Enough said... actually 1.62 seasons..I'm Very Impressed..

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
CronosCard said:
Anquan Boldin Rookie#'s 101 receptions, NFL Record; 1377 yds, led rookie receivers, most rookie yards in last 7 or so years[Randy Moss]... :thumbup: Also AB has another NFL Record [most receptions first 2 years in the league-167]

101 receptions, 1377 yds., 8? td's on a team that won only 4 games and he was double-teamed every game as the Cards only receiving threat?
Let us reduce that number to 1 by restating that, to say 2 NFL records in the first two years of his career..

Kerouac9 and anyone else.. straightup statistically speaking, AQ has two NFL records in two years... Enough said... actually 1.62 seasons..I'm Very Impressed..

Come On....

Boldin has been awesome in his 1½ seasons in the league, but saying he's better than Moss is pure stupidity and homerism. Moss has averaged 1300 yards and 13 TDs in seven seasons straight while being double and triple-teamed.

Don't get me wrong. I have a Boldin jersey myself and think he's the best player on the team, but he's no Moss. Take away all the off-field issues and then ask every NFL coach which player that he wants the most - Moss or Ward. I'll garantee that all 32 coaches would choose Moss. I really like Ward and I think Boldin is almost as good as Ward with the potential to be better than him, but IMO we're kidding ourselves if we think Boldin has the same ability to stretch the field and take over a game like Moss.

AND YES! I know what Boldin did in his rookie season. AWESOME, but a lot of those yards were crap yardage where the opponent was ahead by 20 point and played prevent.

But I'll guess we'll find out if my statements here hold any water. We'll have a healthy Boldin and a healthy and more experienced Fitz this season, Who do you think the opponents are going to double? My money is on Fitz....

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
CronosCard said:

Now dont take this as a knock on Boldin, because it isnt.

How about Moss.

Most TD's by a rookie WR with 17.
Most TD's in first 2 years as a WR in the league with 28.

I would rather go with the guy with the TD records Myself.

Last edited:

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
If it was just purely based on numbers I would take Moss, but based on everything I would take Hines Ward over anybody.

OP
OP
john h

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
BACH said:
Come On....

Boldin has been awesome in his 1½ seasons in the league, but saying he's better than Moss is pure stupidity and homerism. Moss has averaged 1300 yards and 13 TDs in seven seasons straight while being double and triple-teamed.

Don't get me wrong. I have a Boldin jersey myself and think he's the best player on the team, but he's no Moss. Take away all the off-field issues and then ask every NFL coach which player that he wants the most - Moss or Ward. I'll garantee that all 32 coaches would choose Moss. I really like Ward and I think Boldin is almost as good as Ward with the potential to be better than him, but IMO we're kidding ourselves if we think Boldin has the same ability to stretch the field and take over a game like Moss.

AND YES! I know what Boldin did in his rookie season. AWESOME, but a lot of those yards were crap yardage where the opponent was ahead by 20 point and played prevent.

But I'll guess we'll find out if my statements here hold any water. We'll have a healthy Boldin and a healthy and more experienced Fitz this season, Who do you think the opponents are going to double? My money is on Fitz....

With only one full season behind him it is presumptious to make Boldin one of the great receivers in the league. If he can play several years at the level he played in year one then we can say we have a great receiver. At the moment we have a guy who had one great year, lacks speed, was injured last year and wants a new big time contract. I hope this guy is as great as many seem to think he is but it is much to early to declare him the best player on the team much less a "great" receiver. I still do not think management will give him the big time contract he seeks this year. If he has a great year in 2005 then he can come to the table with his demands.

OP
OP
john h

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I would take Hines Ward over any reciever. Go ahead argue with me someone please.

Hines Ward is probably one of the three best receivers in the league. Moss may be the best but he does have an attitude problem.