Intriguing assessment from Peter King

spanky1

Reaction score
He says.......Dennis Green saying "Emmitt Smith is my starter, effectively is saying, I don't have a starter".

I wouldn't be surprised to see Green go after another RB before the season starts........any guesses from the peanut gallery?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Bob Kemp yesterday agreed with King. Funny he didn't agree with me on drafting a running back way back when.

Kemp clearly has it out for you. Are you going to keep letting him disrespect you like this? You obviously need to confront him on this, on air, or in person.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Kemp clearly has it out for you. Are you going to keep letting him disrespect you like this? You obviously need to confront him on this, on air, or in person.

I'm calling him on the way home tonight, dammit.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I would definitely cut Smith. Even if you want him back it wont cost $2 mil. If Green really thinks that it shakes my confidence in him even further. We draft a WR number one with so many dire needs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
He says.......Dennis Green saying "Emmitt Smith is my starter, effectively is saying, I don't have a starter".

I wouldn't be surprised to see Green go after another RB before the season starts........any guesses from the peanut gallery?

I'll start my unfounded rumor again, Green wants another Robert Smith, who better to fill the role of Robert Smith than.... Robert Smith himself, comes out of retirement to play for Green again! Smith is 31 years old.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I'll start my unfounded rumor again, Green wants another Robert Smith, who better to fill the role of Robert Smith than.... Robert Smith himself, comes out of retirement to play for Green again! Smith is 31 years old.

:biglaugh:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedMO said:
I would definitely cut Smith. Even if you want him back it wont cost $2 mil. If Green really thinks that it shakes my confidence in him even further. We draft a WR number one with so many dire needs.

Don't make me recite the rules of BPA :)

I'm fine with the choice of Fitz I just think promoting Emmitt is a bad move if it holds up into the regular season.

Unless he's been working out with Victor Conte I see no way he's going to be any better than he was last year.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Don't make me recite the rules of BPA :)

I'm fine with the choice of Fitz I just think promoting Emmitt is a bad move if it holds up into the regular season.

Unless he's been working out with Victor Conte I see no way he's going to be any better than he was last year.
You want to bet on that?

I think Emmitt will do better than, 2.8 yards per carry and 256 total yards rushing if he remains the starter.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
You want to bet on that?

I think Emmitt will do better than, 2.8 yards per carry and 256 total yards rushing if he remains the starter.

Oh he may get more yards and he'll almost certainly have a higher YPA playing for DG than Jerry Sullivan. I still think he won't be any better as a back though he'll simply be in a better system. He's getting older not younger so he won't get any quicker hitting the hole than he was last year.

He can still make people miss, see the field etc, but he just can't accelerate through the hole anymore.

What is intriguing is how many people are citing Emmitt's vision as a reason he's better than Shipp, the one thing I've always LIKED about Shipp is his ability to see the hole and hit it. When Jones was dancing up to the LOS Shipp would take the same play and see something Jones missed, hit the seam and go. He's not always fast enough to go the distance of course but I would say vision is one of his strong points.

I'm not sure why he's not a better blocker he's certainly big and strong enough to be better at it than he apparently is. This is the 3rd OC that has brought it up(Olson and Sullivan too) so there has to be SOMETHING to it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

The brilliance is if it happens I get credit, if it doesn't I just say I was kidding!

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

But didn't Smith quit on Green? I mean if he loved him so much why did he leave the team even though Green was still coaching. I think Green's satisfied with the back he has......be that what it may

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The complete absence of any news of teams being interested in Canidate speaks volumes to me.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
But didn't Smith quit on Green? I mean if he loved him so much why did he leave the team even though Green was still coaching. I think Green's satisfied with the back he has......be that what it may

I'm pretty sure Smith went to med school. I think it had nothing to do with Green as a coach. He was one of those really, really rare guys who just walked away from pro sports in his prime to do something bigger and better. We should know there are guys like that. Exhibit A- Pat Tillman.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
The complete absence of any news of teams being interested in Canidate speaks volumes to me.

I honestly couldn't think of anyone else. I've heard he hasn't got any offers because he is still banged up from last year. He's local, Michael Bennett fast, and can catch balls out of the backfield. Except he cannot block, pound the ball inside the tackles, or stay healthy if given a heavy workload due to his slight frame. In other words, he's Josh Scobey if Scobey is as good as "10 win Dennis" thinks he is, which we have yet to see.

Bobcat

Reaction score
BigRedMO said:

Sorry, but I think that you are wrong on all of your accessments. I would defintely not cut Smith. He was hurt most of last year and he has a lot to offer the young rb's., and QB's. He is like having a coach on the field.

We drafted a WR because he was the best player in on the board at that time; and he does fill a need spot on the offense. Boldin needs help on the other side to take pressure off of him. DG wanted to draft Kevin Jones at pick 33 but KJ was gone so he Picked Dansbery (sp) a damn good LB again the best player left on the board. Another "NEED." Then he drafted Dockett in the third round; which was a steal. Dockett a DT then again was the best player on the board and again another "NEED."

He then took a two OF Linemen, a DE and a QB. All good picks. I still cannot figure out who we could of picked other than a CB. But the good ones were all gone by round #2. Mostly all of the National sports reporters gave us great grades for our draft. Why can't you...???

Sorry but I think that your theories about this team and DG and the Cards are very thin if not fatalistic.

Allan :shrug: :shrug:

Last edited:

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Conte needs to do one last good deed.

Send him Emmit, it can't hurt :biglaugh:

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Russ Smith wants Robert Smith to replace Emmitt Smith. Interesting.........

OP
OP
S

spanky1

Reaction score
As I was thinking on this further an idea came to me.........Buffalo traded their 1st round pick in 2005 for JP Losman. Why not offer our 1st round pick in 2005 for McGehee......if our medical staff were able to clear him 100%.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rivercard said:
Russ Smith wants Robert Smith to replace Emmitt Smith. Interesting.........

Damn someone figured me out :)

FWIW I dont' really think Robert is going to come out of retirement but its' been a slow week Card wise and it WOULD be interesting if it happened.

That and I figured saying Barry Sanders would seem silly.

You know Tim Montgomery might not be sprinting anytime soon and he certainly fits the speed requirements if he can just pass those pesky drug tests the NFL gives.