Is it safe to say players duck the Suns?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I am sure you can get your point across without using stuff like stupid, asinine, ect...

Super Moderator, I never overtly called anyone stupid and asinine, but the fact remains that any suggestion of profession basketball players taking games off because they are afraid of playing us (ESPECIALLY top players) is exactly that. This thread is an insult to the sane NBA fan community. ;)

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super Moderator, I never overtly called anyone stupid and asinine, but the fact remains that any suggestion of profession basketball players taking games off because they are afraid of playing us (ESPECIALLY top players) is exactly that. This thread is an insult to the sane NBA fan community. ;)

I don't care if you don't overtly do anything. I am asking you to please find ways to be less inflammatory so I don't get incessant reports about how you post. Honestly I would rather enjoy the threads than worry about people's inability to be polite to each other.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And as far as the Super Moderator, I was promoted recently here at ASFN. I didn't choose the title myself ;)

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Any thought that non-injured players take our games off to avoid playing us is ludicrous, and, quite frankly, stupid and asinine. How any sane NBA fan can even suggest it is unbelievably insane.

Anyone that cannot see the obvious trend that has been established this year is not only stupid, but they are asinine as well.

In addition, seeing that my knowledge of basketball, particulary regarding the Suns, eclipses yours, I question where that puts you.

:thumbup:

Last edited:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I always thought that players liked playing against the Suns because it gives them a chance to get out and run. Can't see why they wouldn't want to play the Suns. I think it is just coincidence that all these top guys are out.

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I always thought that players liked playing against the Suns because it gives them a chance to get out and run. Can't see why they wouldn't want to play the Suns. I think it is just coincidence that all these top guys are out.

They wouldn't want to play the Suns because running up and down the court increasing there chances of being injured.

I, however, respect your opinion, and certainly would not consider it asinine that you disagree with mine.

It is unfortunate that the same cannot be said about you.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Well, Lebron James played the Suns with a bad toe that sidelined him for a couple of games after playing Phoenix...so, he at least gets props for that.

TheFallen49

Veteran
Reaction score
I think I got it now: You're a Mavs fan who found time to come to the Suns board to debate about our team's success or lack thereof along with explaining to us the finer points of why our win over the Spurs didn't really mean much. However, while you (a Mavs fan) are here on the Suns board, we are not to transfer the discussion to the Mavs team because that would be off-subject. We're just to take notes on your insightful "outside opinion" and all those things we "don't want to hear" and in that way we will be more informed and able to see things as they really are.

If I wanted to discuss the Mavericks I would be on a Mavericks board. Is that not logical to anyone else? So you find my posts negative, alright whatever. I enjoy your bashing of the Mavericks and look forward to how your 'theories' of why our team sucks plays out at the end of the season. I could wait until then to come brag if I just happen to be right or I could bring this thread back and say I told you so... that would be more fun. Look theres a million things I could say positively about the Suns, I love watching them play but your homers seem to cover them in ways no mere Maverick fan could because it's YOUR team.

TheFallen49

Veteran
Reaction score
What?? What does a reoccurring injury have to do with it. If your hurt and trying to work through an injury, the last thing you want to do is chase another team through 4 quarters. :doi:

You see in there lies the problem.

Really? Cause it tells me that a team without a major piece in Amare still had the fortitude to get to the WCF. The Clips were no push overs last season and they had a good record against the WC elite.

You just did. One call does not cost a team a game. It's not like the Mavs and Heat only played one play. There were plenty of opportunities throught the course of the game and series. If the Mavs had taken care of business prior to that, that "call" wouldn't have been a factor. Again, the fact the Heat worked the Mavs proves that the regular season is for tuneup and seeding.

Oh you mean like Raja not playing? Or does missing your starter not count? What about our most important big man in coming off the bench in Kurt? Funny how that wasn't mentioned either.

Don't bring it up? Which game would you like me to bring up? There have been several where the Suns have made stops at the end of games. So the Suns don't get credit for back to backs but the Spurs do? Typical Mavs fans.

And your superior record against elite teams helped you so much in the finals last year against the Heat.

It's quite clear your homerism clouds your perspective so I will be as simple as possible.

A reoccurring injury, an example would be Tmacs back problems... smart to sit out against a team like the Suns if it's acting up AGAIN? Yeah. A guy who is a game time decision? Probably best not to aggravate the injury if it's borderline.

If my perspective is not welcome to you then don't respond, I fail to see why that is so difficult a concept for you to grasp. Maybe it has something to do with you eating your own crap, pooch.

It was one example, but you do realize when the game is tied say at 90-90 and one blown call gives a team free throws for the win it DOES alter the course of the game right? I realize there are blown calls all the time that affect the course of the game, but at that stage its a little more critical wouldn't you say? The key words are blown call, it has nothing to do with the Mavericks taking care of business it has a lot more to do with the fact the NBA and the pride of those ******** old men they call refs (challenges like in the NFL would be welcome in my view). Thats a whole different debate altogether.

Let me put it in terms you can understand. Boozer >>>>> Raja Bel and Kurt friggin Thomasl, this is a guy who was an early MVP canidate with his play and Utahs only All-Star. And Kurt Thomas? Let me ask you how many minutes the majority of your bench players get anyway. How big a factor are they? I checked your starters minutes for the Portland game and I have to say that i'd be worried about them breaking down at this point with your schedule.

I don't care about your stops, I don't even bother arguing that you play no defense I care about the fact you haven't proved a damn thing to me and the rest of the league yet. Go ahead and be proud of beating the Spurs, a win is a win... but i'm just pointing out possible reasons for the W.

Say what you will about the loss to the Heat, it seems to be your only defense as to why your team choking against the elite doesn't matter and thank you for completely ignoring the clear conference differential (if your going to respond, respond to points I have made so you can't use the same dumb argument). Disregard your fools gold playoff run of last year (doesnt matter now, we're different teams). And disregard everything i've said, i'm only here to see what Suns fans are saying, you don't need to read what I am if your not interested in having a civil debate.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
If I wanted to discuss the Mavericks I would be on a Mavericks board. Is that not logical to anyone else? So you find my posts negative, alright whatever. I enjoy your bashing of the Mavericks and look forward to how your 'theories' of why our team sucks plays out at the end of the season. I could wait until then to come brag if I just happen to be right or I could bring this thread back and say I told you so... that would be more fun. Look theres a million things I could say positively about the Suns, I love watching them play but your homers seem to cover them in ways no mere Maverick fan could because it's YOUR team.

Well now, this is getting confusing. You said earlier you were just here because we were "cluttering up your board."

I guess it's possible you're here because you want to talk about the Suns but so far you haven't done anything but point out the negatives we already know. Here's a thought, maybe you could try taking the same approach with the Dallas "homers" and see if they're more appreciative of all those little reminders about their problem areas. You can tell them you're a Mavs fan just looking for a good debate. Maybe you'll get a friendlier response --something more to your liking. I wouldn't count on it, though.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
49, in my opinion, Dallas is better than AZ. But only slightly. Home court or a critical ankle sprain can even things out quickly.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1. No, players are not ducking the Suns. It is a coincidence and only that.

2. Every team has at least half dozen regular season games they won that they probably should have lost and an equal number they lost they should have won. (Three of the Sun's 10 loses were games that went into overtime with a couple of others being buzer beaters.) Overall, it tends to balance out.

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
1. No, players are not ducking the Suns. It is a coincidence and only that.

1. I think some players have been held out to avoid injury.

2. There have been too many instances to be mere coincidence.

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was more agreeing with the thought that there is no way players are skipping games against the Suns because they don't want to play against them, not as much with the asinine and stupid stuff.

I said that some of them were sitting out to avoid injury.

I never said they were sitting out because they don't want to play against us.

Either way, I stand behind what I posted and do not believe it is asinine or stupid. For Chaplin to question my knowledge of Basketball is laughable. I have been watching and PLAYING basketball since I was like 4 years old. My favorite team has always been the Suns, and that dates back to the mid '70's.

Chaplin probably picked up the Suns in 1993 and I am sure he has no idea how to play the game.

sunsfn

Reaction score

Either way, I stand behind what I posted and do not believe it is asinine or stupid. For Chaplin to question my knowledge of Basketball is laughable. I have been watching and PLAYING basketball since I was like 4 years old. My favorite team has always been the Suns, and that dates back to the mid '70's.

Chaplin probably picked up the Suns in 1993 and I am sure he has no idea how to play the game.

Actually, I think Chaplin still plays.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I never said "KingofCards is asinine and stupid". And in fact, I never said I thought you believed players take games off against us because they were scared. In fact, I said that anyone that thinks that is ridiculous--not that you think it.

So this hatred you have for me is misplaced, when in reality, you probably agree with me, do you not? You don't think it's insane for someone to think that players take games off against us because they are afraid of us? I don't know about you, but that's pretty insane, IMO.

Of course, when you mention the injury bug, you get into semantics, which is fine. Do players take off against the Suns to prevent injury because of our style, or are they already injured and taking the time off so as not to aggravate said injury? I know recently Carlos Boozer fits under that category, so does Marcus Camby and Allen Iverson. It's true, our style can aggravate some injuries (mostly leg injuries, obviously).

I stand by my stance that any idea of players taking games against the Suns off simply because they are scared of us is insane. My point in a nutshell is that I agree that a lot of players are taking time off against us because of injury. That's perfectly reasonable, and in my mind, the absolute truth in every instance that it has occured this year. However, the subject of not playing because of fear has been brought up, whether wrongly or rightly, and that is what I was referring to. Not that you were a basketball idiot. There's no way in hell I'd think that.

And yes, I still play in my 30s, and know more about the game than a lot of people. So if you're going to insult me, please make sure it's for the right reasons.

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I never said they were afraid of us. Whose post were you calling asinine if it was not mine?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I never said they were afraid of us. Whose post were you calling asinine if it was not mine?

So let me get this straight. You think that perfectly healthy players are being held out of games against us because their coaches or they themselves don't want to get injured. Is that correct?

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. You think that perfectly healthy players are being held out of games against us because their coaches or they themselves don't want to get injured. Is that correct?

No, I think that players are being held out to avoid injury or further injury. Whether it be aggravation of an existing injury, or likelyhood of a leg injury due to the age or veteran status of the player.

For instance, if we played the Heat in the upcoming days, I would submit that Shaq would likely be held out against us, when he wasn't against someone else. I believe this has been happening all year long. Not with all of the star players but with some of them.

Why did you quote my question to you and then answer it with a question?

I will repeat for you, whose post were you calling asinine if it was not mine?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No, I think that players are being held out to avoid injury or further injury. Whether it be aggravation of an existing injury, or likelyhood of a leg injury due to the age or veteran status of the player.

For instance, if we played the Heat in the upcoming days, I would submit that Shaq would likely be held out against us, when he wasn't against someone else. I believe this has been happening all year long. Not with all of the star players but with some of them.

Why did you quote my question to you and then answer it with a question?

I will repeat for you, whose post were you calling asinine if it was not mine?

Nobody overtly said that players are afraid. Some have said it's not because they are afraid, I was responding to those people who think that may be the issue. It was a generalization that you took as quoting your original post, which was wrong. It's that simple. I never called anyone, or anyone's post, asinine. I called people who believed that healthy players won't play us out of fear are imagining things. Nobody on this thread has said that they think that, but you have to know that there are people out there--probably uneducated Suns fans.

I'm sorry if you felt insulted, that wasn't the intention--and I certainly didn't mean for you to attack me several times like you have been. I'll delete the post if it will make everyone feel better--it's not a big deal.