Is it time to move on from Kyler Murray

Should the Cardinals move on from Kyler Murray?

• Yes

• No

• I don't freaking know

Results are only viewable after voting.

602 Native

Veteran
Reaction score
According to NFL.com pre-season ranking, Kyler is #18 after: Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Stroud, Burrow, Prescott, Rogers, Love, Herbert. Hurts, Goff, Tagovailoa, Purdy, Stafford, Mayfield, Cousins, and Lawrence.

I'm sure you do not agree with this, but I would trade Murray for most of them.
Prescott
Hurts
Goff
Tagovailoa
Mayfield
Cousins
Lawrence
Stafford (K1 just kicked his ass) "They were hurt though" Who gives a rip, no one is saying this about K1 and Oline, or McBride.

Are absolutely laughable.

Love (Maybe) & Herbert (most overrated QB in the NFL)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I would not. [Trade Kyler for Trevor]

If it's contracts-aside, I think I might. Obviously the hype is greater than Trevor, and so the delta between what was expected and what has been delivered is greater. But Lawrence is a more traditional player than Kyler is, he's only 25 years old, and he has two 4000+ yard passing seasons.

I think Petzing could get significantly more out of Lawrence than he is getting out of Murray right now.

The vibes if Trevor was here would be worse than they are with Kyler.

Hm... I don't know. There are some reasons I think fans could give Lawrence the benefit of the doubt that they don't with Kyler that I can't quite put my finger on.

As much as I think Kyler has pretty much shown what he is in this league, I can't see any QB option after this year that puts the Cardinals in a better place to win than Kyler does. Maybe this will change, but I am not currently seeing it, and I am less interested in losing games to save Bidwill more money by getting rid of Kyler's contract. I just don't see anything to be gained.

This is the truth.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
A couple more quick thoughts on moving on from Kyler after this season.

1 - FA QBs looking like Darnold, Fields, Brissett, and Russ Wilson. Darnold potentially getting 30 mil +. Only Darnold is playing better than Kyler is right now.

2 - None of the QBs in the draft look special. Current Kyler level of play is the ceiling for almost all of these dudes IMO.

3 - You can't afford another tank year. You can't bring in a Minshew level QB.

As much as I think Kyler has pretty much shown what he is in this league, I can't see any QB option after this year that puts the Cardinals in a better place to win than Kyler does. Maybe this will change, but I am not currently seeing it, and I am less interested in losing games to save Bidwill more money by getting rid of Kyler's contract. I just don't see anything to be gained.
2- I don't understand why people don't like Ewers. He was the #1 recruit coming out of high school, he led Texas to the playoff last year, he has played his best in big games, and he has all the arm talent in the world. Arch Manning, the guy everybody loves, hasn't been able to beat him out. I think he's a great prospect.

• Haha
Reactions: urs

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Prescott
Hurts
Goff
Tagovailoa
Mayfield
Cousins
Lawrence
Stafford (K1 just kicked his ass) "They were hurt though" Who gives a rip, no one is saying this about K1 and Oline, or McBride.

Are absolutely laughable.

Love (Maybe) & Herbert (most overrated QB in the NFL)
Bruh imagine saying two QBs who have played in the Super Bowl are clearly worse than Kyler Murray, who's playoff performance is nearly indistinguishable from Ryan Lindley's.

Get a grip bro.

602 Native

Veteran
Reaction score
Bruh imagine saying two QBs who have played in the Super Bowl are clearly worse than Kyler Murray, who's playoff performance is nearly indistinguishable from Ryan Lindley's.

Get a grip bro.
Bro imagine comparing super bowl winning organizations with a track record of success to the hapless Bidwill ran dumpster fire. Even Stafford couldn't lift the Lions to Super Bowl glory yet he did with the Rams.

You guys are so delusional about the health of the Cards franchise. There isn't a worse ran team in the league.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Bro imagine comparing super bowl winning organizations with a track record of success to the hapless Bidwill ran dumpster fire. Even Stafford couldn't lift the Lions to Super Bowl glory yet he did with the Rams.

You guys are so delusional about the health of the Cards franchise. There isn't a worse ran team in the league.
Two things can be true - the Cardinals can be a historically bad franchise, and Kyler can be a middling QB, not worthy of a #1 pick.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Kyler cannot fail, he can only be failed. Is that the thing? Top-tier quarterbacks find a way to overcome organizational incompetence.

There are very, very few people here who believe the Cards are even a mid-tier franchise. But Kyler took the bag from them, so now he's opted in to dealing in that environment -- is that another poor decision?

You just described Matt Stafford prior to LA

My guy: Stafford passed for over 5000 yards in his third season in the NFL. He had seven consecutive seasons where he passed for over 4200 yards a season. It's not even close.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hm... I don't know. There are some reasons I think fans could give Lawrence the benefit of the doubt that they don't with Kyler that I can't quite put my finger on.
I know there’s a select few that still troll with the “Kyler is generational” sentiment, but Trevor was billed that since high school from the media, football hipsters, talking heads, etc. On the same level as a Luck & Elway. People here know Kyler had challenges to deal with Lawrence basically had none. Despite all of this, Lawerence has been playing worse than Kyler has while on a larger contract. I really believe there would be a lot more negative & sad vibes here with Lawrence cause we expect way more out of him than Kyler.

602 Native

Veteran
Reaction score
Kyler cannot fail, he can only be failed. Is that the thing? Top-tier quarterbacks find a way to overcome organizational incompetence.

There are very, very few people here who believe the Cards are even a mid-tier franchise. But Kyler took the bag from them, so now he's opted in to dealing in that environment -- is that another poor decision?

My guy: Stafford passed for over 5000 yards in his third season in the NFL. He had seven consecutive seasons where he passed for over 4200 yards a season. It's not even close.
Kyler hasn't failed.
He is a ROY, 2xProbowler, and was in the running for MVP. He is far from a failure just like your boy Stafford.
Who is a failure is Bidwill who has squandered talent, coaches, time, and GMs since he has been involved as an owner.

How many yards did Stafford rush for and how many TDs did he rush for?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I know there’s a select few that still troll with the “Kyler is generational” sentiment, but Trevor was billed that since high school from the media, football hipsters, talking heads, etc. On the same level as a Luck & Elway. People here know Kyler had challenges to deal with Lawrence basically had none. Despite all of this, Lawerence has been playing worse than Kyler has while on a larger contract. I really believe there would be a lot more negative & sad vibes here with Lawrence cause we expect way more out of him than Kyler.
The argument for both teams would be that a change of scenery might be best for everyone involved.

602 Native

Veteran
Reaction score

People on this forum fall in love with height and big arms hence why the fanbase gets googley eyes over the stiffs we have had previously.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Man I dunno. Yes, expectations were sky-high and he hasn't immediately been as good as Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson were. He wasn't able to overcome the most disastrous head coach in recent memory his rookie season.

But he's also been to the pro bowl once, came in seventh in MVP voting in 2022, and has thrown for 4000 yards twice. It's not like he's dealing with the most functional organization between Shahid Khan and Trent Baalke.

Compared to the hype, Lawrence's first four years are probably lagging expectations. Compared to Kyler's first three-and-a-half seasons? I think it's close to even or maybe Lawrence is ahead.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with many of these QBs coming into the pros is that they never dealt with much adversity in their high school or college careers. They piled up wins, awards, and trophies. They get to the pros and suddenly things aren't so easy, and they begin losing games in bundles. It's something they aren't used to at all. It's all about how you react to this different reality and evolve as a player. I'd say both Lawrence and Murray fit into this. Neither was used to losing coming into the league.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake