Is Stone salvageable?

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by SunCardfan
Vikesfan, how many games have you seen us play? I don't think you know our personnel that well....I wouldn't say Wilson was that decent of a pick, at least not yet. I think overall he was probably a detriment to our team last year. I think Leonard Davis might end up a great pick if he gets his S$%T together. At times he has played great for us and blown up the whole line, especially when he gets pissed. Levar Fisher has been very good for us and has started so I don't get if he starts stuff...and Dennis Johnson has produced a lick and is probably our best speed rusher...Kenny King looks like he could be quite good too and was one of our best linemen last year yet you put him as nothing special, for where we picked him I think he is special. How many games have you seen again?

You know how many I have seen. One. I am going by what Cards fans and the stats say. Read what the Cards fans on here have said. I haven't seen any MIA games either but I know Ogunlye is a good player.

-How many sacks did Johnson get.

-King looks like he could be good?

-Davis is good when he gets mad or when he gets his s@#% together.

-Those are hardly outstanding recommendations. There is a reason this was the worst team in the NFL.

-Fisher is a starter> great. How many tackles did he have last year. Is he being talked about as a POTENTIAL pro-bowl candidate around the NFL?

-As for Wilson a starting S with a 3rd round pick is decent value. I am not saying he was great pick.

Yes production is what counts and this team is filled with potential. Potential loses games on Sundays.

Hey I will see a lot of Cards games this year and read up on them too.
So I should get a better feel for the team. But I don't think my comments are that far off.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
With the help of Mrs. Tango, Kerouac9 and Tango agree to disagree on the Mike Stone talent dilemma.

Attachments

• marty.jpg
    marty.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by MaoTosiFanClub
With the help of Mrs. Tango, Kerouac9 and Tango agree to disagree on the Mike Stone talent dilemma.

Tango wishes. That's Mrs. 9. :D

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Section Eleven attempts to turn back the clock on the Wendell Bryant signing...

You must be registered for see images attach

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A suggestion for you. . . if you choose to use imbedded comments as your method of reply, it would help avoid problems that can sometimes arise from the simple fact that it is hard to distinguish, without bouncing back and forth between posts, to see.....whom is actually saying what. I use this reply as an example of how it may be done. Granted, you did start by using all caps for your imbeds, but you finished by adding in extra comments that were not....and from that point on, there really was no way of knowing whom was really saying what.

Originally posted by vikesfan
[QUOTE>>>>As to Mac being "horrible" as a talent evaluator, I would disagree with that on at least 2 counts.
#1 - While I would suppose Mac certainly had a significant input on draft selections, he didn't make those decisions in a complete vacuum. I believe Stone was drafted before Graves "got promoted", but to simply diss Mac as the sole "horrible" draft picker, I think is an overly exaggerated simplification,.
#2- I simply don't agree on how "horrible" some of the picks under Mac's regime were. Personally I don't think Mac was as bad an evaluator as you claim. No one ever proves to be a 100% genius in drafting. "mispicks" are common to everyone.

Here's the Card's draft picks during Mac's tenure:
2001:
1 (2) - Leonard Davis

DRAFTED AS A T CAN'T PLAY T.
NOT EVEN A PROBOWL G.
So he "hasn't lived up to his potential"...isn't potential what you draft? And how many guards are all pro each year? Does that make all the rest "horrible"?
Yes, being drafted at #2, I don't think it overly unfair to expect him to be. Are you a K9 in sheeps clothing?

2 (34) - Kyle Vanden Bosch
HORRIBLE.
HORRIBLE? Because he's been injured? Or because they've kept him, after seeing how he came back from the 1st injury? This was a HORRIBLE pick? c'mon. now.

2 (54) - Michael Stone
HORRIBLE.
That's SUPPOSED to be the topic of discussion here.....right?

3 (64) - Adrian Wilson
DECENT PICK. HOW DECENT?
Or conversely.....how HORRIBLE???

4 (123) - Bill Grammatica
DON'T DRAFT A K. DUMB.
I'm not a big Grammatica fan, at this point. But to say drafting him was dumb, I can't agree with either, especially in the game "as it's getting played" "today". Good Kickers are very, very valuable. No, I certainly don't call drafting him where they did....dumb. Now dumb, to me, is creating a self-induced "accident", like he did. He showed the leg strength before, but just not since.

5 (133) - Marcus Bell
6 (166) - Mario Fatafehi
7 (202) - Reynaldo Hill
7 (246-Mr irrelevant)- Tevita Ofahengaue

NOTHING SPECIAL. SOME PEOPLE LIKE BELL. HILL WAS A GOOD PICK AT 7.

This was a "horrible" draft???
YES.
I simply disagree ! While it probably won't certify as the greatest draft in history, I certainly wouldn't call it "HORRIBLE".

2002:

1 (12) - Wendall Bryant
HAS NOT PRODUCED A LICK.
But still might. Your homey Dennis Green seems to think so anyway, it seems.

2 (49) - Levar Fisher
DECENT PICK IF HE CAN START.
IF NOT BAD PICK.
He WAS the strong side starter all year. Some homework seems missing here.

3 (81) - Josh McCown
GOOD PICK AT THAT POINT.

3 (98) - Dennis Johnson
HAS NOT PRODUCED A LICK.
Me thinks you have been/are getting a little fast and loose with the term "not produced a lick" . Definitely an exaggeration here, in my opinion. Personally I was very pleasantly surprised with how he was one of the few draftees to show decent development this year.

4 (113) - Nate Dwyer
5 (149) - Jason McAddley
6 (185) - Josh Scobey
7 (223) - Mike Banks
NOTHING SPECIAL.

This, too, was "horrible"???
YES
Again, I simply diagree.....not 'HORRIBLE" by any means.

2003:

1 (17) - Bryant Johnson
1 (18) - Calvin Pace
HORRIBLE. Especially giving up Suggs Gross Lefwich.

2 (54) - Anquan Boldin
GREAT ASTUTE MOVE.

3-(70) - Gerald Hayes
DECENT PICK.

5 (141) - Kenny King
6 (177) - Reggie Wells
6 (210) - Tony Gilbert
NOTHING SPECIAL.

Again...this is "horrible"???
YES.
Again I simply disagree. For starters, I don't think you can ever dis any draft as horrible after 1 year, unless none of them ever made the team to begin with. Secondly, "hitting" on a pick like Quan they way they did, in -and-of-itself, to me, eliminates any possibility of labeling this draft "horrible". Bryant Johnson is certainly far from a "bust" yet. Pace is a concern, but again, its still way, way to soon to label him a bust. Hayes, King and Well were GREAT picks to me, especially where they got them. And even Tony Gilbert, I thought was a decent pick, in fact, I think a case could possibly be made that he didn't make the team, not due to lack of talent, necessarily, but because of the amount/level of competition at the LB position. (the result of horrible drafting? )
It suddenly struck me...are you maybe just running down the pre-Green drafts in an attempt to make him look better?
I hope you haven't contracted K9 poisoning.

...and finallly...from this point on....in regard to the "effective communication".....its really difficult, based on how you posted to know for sure which comments are yours and which are mine, without having to go back and compare the original posts.

No real biggie...but like I said...just a suggestion.
:D

This is hardly stellar drafting. If he had had great drafts the last 3 years the team would not be the worst team in the NFL. Lack of solid starters throughout.

3 years. I'm not sure about Tony Gilbert, but he may be the only one not still in the NFL (plus Mr. Irrelevant, but I don't consider that particular choice a "bad" one)

If anything these look like 3 fairly decent drafts to me. If you're going to hammer Mac, then I think you could make a case for how some of the talent didn't get developed under his tutelege like it should have, but to say he was simply "horrible" is barking up the wrong tree, and maybe even in the wrong forrest, to me.

It also never ceases to amaze me how some of you are so prone to trot out your simplified, black & white, "absolutisms". . .
such as here:
"his hips are WAy too stiff for the NFL". (how has this been "proven"....and by whom?)
"he is almost totally useless as a cornerback". (thank you for your input mr K9. You have expressed YOUR opinion. That's all it is. It certainly isn't written in stone yet.) :D
the same goes for the comment:
"He'll be the third safety on the depth chart at either position"

"As a defensive back, Stone's NFL career is finished." ( and Swamie K9 evidently knows something no one else does, or has a crystal ball....or something. ) :confused: His career isn't "finished" until "if and when" he IS cut. Until then...its only "opinion"...nothing more.

About the only thing I might agree with in your comments is that he does seem to be a decent special teamer, and "Stone has a lot to prove this camp".

He does have a lot to prove. I've never denied that for a second.

As to the contract situation. I never claimed to "know for sure" on that. But I do know that he and Wilson essentially signed about the same contracts....both for 3 years, AND that when he was put on IR at the beginning of last season, there was some comment made, (and not just from a poster here) that it would not "use up" his 3rd year. Also, if it doesn't, then that would make him an RFA, just like Wilson, and he is not listed as such.
I didn't just make that up.
Does anyone actually know for sure exactly what the situation is there?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Later, Kerouac9 is a bit skeptical on Section 11's theory of using the flux capacitor to rebuild Neil Lomax's hip.

Attachments

• doc.jpg
    doc.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 88

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
El Threado Longo
***huffing up my chest so I can do my best Stout 'voice'***:
"So is that good or bad, Jeff? Right?... or Wrong? "

;)

Last edited:

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

tango vs. stout

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tangodnzr
***huffing up my chest so I can do my best Stout 'voice'***:
"So is that good or bad, Jeff? Right?... or Wrong? "

;) [/B]

Tango, quite simply, you're an ass. When I agree with you (when you're actually making sense), you don't acknowledge it, but are quite willing to allow my support back up your statements. When I disagree with you, you turn into a little child (just like the above statement-I'd LOVE to hear a reason why, after so long, you have to keep making digs at me), call me immature (when you're acting around 9 years old) and absolutely refuse to talk about the football matter at hand. Interesting.

I'll put the next part in all caps, so you'll be sure to get it. I don't know why I'm bothering going through this, but call me insane for thinking you'll actually be a man and answer the damn football question.

THE NEXT POST WILL HAVE A DIRECT QUOTE FROM YOU AND I WILL BE EXPECTING A FOOTBALL RESPONSE...CAN YOU MANAGE THAT?

Stout

Reaction score
This is your direct quote, Tango:

'He IS talented. He IS intelligent. So whose "fault" is it if he's been hired but not developed? Sure part of it has to be his responsibilty. But its also the job of the coaches to "develop" their players....that's what they're hired for.'

Regardless of intelligence, he's never exhibited talent at the NFL level. In the draft, he showed raw COLLEGE talent and raw speed. Since when has he ever shown talent on this level? Where's your proof?

You're stating this all as fact. Why don't you just state it as you're opinion, and we wouldn't have this problem.

Then, you blame the coaches. Since he must have this mysterious talent, it must be the coach's fault he hasn't been developed. Truly circular logic if I've ever heard it.

But here's your chance. I'm not insulting you. I'm commenting on purely football matters. I'm saying you're wrong, pending any kind of substantiation on your part. Can you refute it or not? Can you respond on a mature level?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Stout

Just a word of advice: It supports your argument when you include a football-related thought. ;)

That's why I highlight my upcoming football-related posts thusly:

CAUTION: FOOTBALL-RELATED COMMENT FOLLOWS: Wendell Bryant needs to step up his level of play this season, or is in danger of having to seek work as a professional domino player.

Stout

Reaction score
Originally posted by jkf296

tango vs. stout

Well, I want to argue about football, and he wants to call me names. It's 6 pages in, and he's still not responded.

Amazing, simply amazing :rolleyes:

I'd say, considering this, the above picture should have Tango on the ground, or shouting schoolboy insults.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout

'He IS talented. He IS intelligent. So whose "fault" is it if he's been hired but not developed? Sure part of it has to be his responsibilty. But its also the job of the coaches to "develop" their players....that's what they're hired for.'

Regardless of intelligence, he's never exhibited talent at the NFL level. In the draft, he showed raw COLLEGE talent and raw speed. Since when has he ever shown talent on this level? Where's your proof?

You're stating this all as fact. Why don't you just state it as you're opinion, and we wouldn't have this problem.

Then, you blame the coaches. Since he must have this mysterious talent, it must be the coach's fault he hasn't been developed. Truly circular logic if I've ever heard it.

But here's your chance. I'm not insulting you. I'm commenting on purely football matters. I'm saying you're wrong, pending any kind of substantiation on your part. Can you refute it or not? Can you respond on a mature level?

Stout, it is quite simple. Tango is just trying to bag Stone's sister.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*please Lord, make the angry men stop, Amen*

Stout

Reaction score
Re: Stout

Originally posted by kerouac9
Just a word of advice: It supports your argument when you include a football-related thought. ;)

CAUTION: FOOTBALL-RELATED COMMENT FOLLOWS: Wendell Bryant needs to step up his level of play this season, or is in danger of having to seek work as a professional domino player.

I know. I did this above. We'll see if he can answer. The fact is, when he's wrong, he'll do everything from insult you to try and use lots of big, long words to mislead you. He'll never, EVER admit he's wrong. I should ignore it, but his arrogance gets to me at times.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Here's the Card's draft picks during Mac's tenure:
2001:
1 (2) - Leonard Davis
2 (34) - Kyle Vanden Bosch
2 (54) - Michael Stone
3 (64) - Adrian Wilson
4 (123) - Bill Grammatica
5 (133) - Marcus Bell
6 (166) - Mario Fatafehi
7 (202) - Reynaldo Hill
7 (246-Mr irrelevant)- Tevita Ofahengaue

This was a "horrible" draft???

2002:
1 (12) - Wendall Bryant
2 (49) - Levar Fisher
3 (81) - Josh McCown
3 (98) - Dennis Johnson
4 (113) - Nate Dwyer
5 (149) - Jason McAddley
6 (185) - Josh Scobey
7 (223) - Mike Banks

This, too, was "horrible"???

2003:
1 (17) - Bryant Johnson
1 (18) - Calvin Pace
2 (54) - Anquan Boldin
3-(70) - Gerald Hayes
5 (141) - Kenny King
6 (177) - Reggie Wells
6 (210) - Tony Gilbert

Again...this is "horrible"???

First about Stone, It seems alot of people have forgot we traded Aeneas Williams for that pick a ProBowler, to land a guy that was basically a project. He had great physical attributes but was very raw.He was a hit or miss pick, He is just another example of a bad mac draft.

As for the 2001 draft, I ask how many RG have gone #2 overall in the Draft, None!!!! Davis is a bad pick,if he was a monster LT or RT, the pick would befine. But basically the #2 overall pick we had became a RG with motivation issues.
-KVB, was a great character pick, but his skills did not warrant his selection that high in the 2nd.

As for 2002 -W Bryant was a tweener DL, that so far has shown zero production, remember the Cards passed on Shockey, Buchanon and Fisher for the guy.
-L Fisher was a descent pick, but you could have also swooped up Clinton Portis with this pick, the Cards had huge ???? marks at RB Thomas Jones had shown nothing at this point.
- J McCown was also a some what of a project pick as well,this is his year to prove himself, so his grade is an incomplete.

C Pace/B Johnson.......... Instead of Suggs or Leftwich
:confused: I do not get that logic at all
A Boldin, Great pick but this was a major fluke, Cards got so damn lucky by etting this guy.
G Hayes could be a nice pick too early to grade him.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Stout

Originally posted by kerouac9

That had cracking up when I read that, that was classic!!! :thumbup:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Part of the problem seems to be that some fans are happy with getting only "solid" players in the draft, even at high positions. Solid player are good, but in the first and second rounds, you need to get players that are going to be impact players. The kinds of players that are going to contend for the Pro Bowl every season. Mac spent picks that should be impact players and got solid role players or outright busts. That's not acceptable. When you're drafting in the Top 15, you should be getting a player that could very well be a 10-year perrenial Pro Bowler. In the second round, you should be drafting a player that very well could be in the Pro Bowl by the end of his rookie deal.

Mac drafted players that might be decent starters by the end of their rookie contracts, but you wouldn't mind have dating your daughter/sister.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout

This is exactly why I have tried to avoid getting in such a pizzing contest with you Stout. Your argument here revolves around "YOUR" "off the cuff" and mutable definition of talent....(Let me know if that's too "big" a word for you). Talent is no longer just "talent" but evidently by your capitulations there now has to be a distinction made between COLLEGE talent, and NFL talent.
If you hold true to form, even if I jump through your defined hoops then I should next expect an additional facet of definition to be conveniently added creating yet another "hoop".

That's what I meant, early in the thread, when I said you often resort to word games and talking in circles or tangential arguments over semantics.

You seem more obsessed with the Bipolar desire to establish, in no uncertain terms...that someone is RIGHT...and someone is WRONG !!!!

In the first place, ANY player that gets drafted into the NFL ....possesses talent. To me it appears you confuse the word talent with production....and then proceed to bag on me because I don't play roll-over-doggie to YOUR self created, ever evolving, definition.

Very simply talent to me is INNATE talent. Just like in the dictionary: (Webster's 'New World, college edition'....
" Talent - Any natural ability or power... Talent implies an apparently native ability for a specific pursuit and connotes either that it is OR can be cultivated by the possessing it.
Innate= existing naturally rather than acquired; that seems to have been in one since birth. (innate talent). "

I fail to see why it should be necessary for me to have to clarify that for you. (unless of course, that's not the REAL issue at stake).

Stone had fantastic "measurebles" coming out of college. Have we seen them come to fruition in the NFL? NO.....I have never claimed that....ever. Where have I ever said he WILL be a success in the NFL? again...never. You, and a few others, project all this crap about some "love affair" I have with him....That's such a load of crap.

Yes, I have always felt he had great potential, and I have been very conservative in regards to booting him "too soon", with the innate "tools" he's been blessed with. So you or anyone else doesn't agree. again like I said once before...So what??? Contrary to your outlandish claims...I have never called you anywhere near the names that you've laid on me.
I have used the term "Schoolboy" at times. Not only with you but some others at times as a desription of your behavior (and that's ALL that it is). If you take that an an insult...then so be it.

I have nothing against "schoolboys". They are schoolboys....a stage of maturity...just like infant, pre-teen, puberty, young adult, etc.

I also find it very ironic and "suspicious" that you apparently try to ridicule me for my use of vocabulary....and this from Stout....who seems to pride himself on his Shakespearean expertise. Yeah....pretty transparent, too me anyway.

Last but not least, I also find it highly ironic that you seem to insinuate that I try to pass opinion off as fact. A gross innaccuracy. I always try to state in as unequivocal manner as possible my opinions as opposed to "facts" in the way you seem to imply.

I am going to post one more post, composed with you in mind.
I hope you learn something from it. I really do.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
This is exactly why I have tried to avoid getting in such a pizzing contest with you Stout. Your argument here revolves around "YOUR" "off the cuff" and mutable definition of talent....(Let me know if that's too "big" a word for you). Talent is no longer just "talent" but evidently by your capitulations there now has to be a distinction made between COLLEGE talent, and NFL talent.
If you hold true to form, even if I jump through your defined hoops then I should next expect an additional facet of definition to be conveniently added creating yet another "hoop".

That's what I meant, early in the thread, when I said you often resort to word games and talking in circles or tangential arguments over semantics.

You seem more obsessed with the Bipolar desire to establish, in no uncertain terms...that someone is RIGHT...and someone is WRONG !!!!

In the first place, ANY player that gets drafted into the NFL ....possesses talent. To me it appears you confuse the word talent with production....and then proceed to bag on me because I don't play roll-over-doggie to YOUR self created, ever evolving, definition.

Very simply talent to me is INNATE talent. Just like in the dictionary: (Webster's 'New World, college edition'....
" Talent - Any natural ability or power... Talent implies an apparently native ability for a specific pursuit and connotes either that it is OR can be cultivated by the possessing it.
Innate= existing naturally rather than acquired; that seems to have been in one since birth. (innate talent). "

I fail to see why it should be necessary for me to have to clarify that for you. (unless of course, that's not the REAL issue at stake).

Stone had fantastic "measurebles" coming out of college. Have we seen them come to fruition in the NFL? NO.....I have never claimed that....ever. Where have I ever said he WILL be a success in the NFL? again...never. You, and a few others, project all this crap about some "love affair" I have with him....That's such a load of crap.

Yes, I have always felt he had great potential, and I have been very conservative in regards to booting him "too soon", with the innate "tools" he's been blessed with. So you or anyone else doesn't agree. again like I said once before...So what??? Contrary to your outlandish claims...I have never called you anywhere near the names that you've laid on me.
I have used the term "Schoolboy" at times. Not only with you but some others at times as a desription of your behavior (and that's ALL that it is). If you take that an an insult...then so be it.

I have nothing against "schoolboys". They are schoolboys....a stage of maturity...just like infant, pre-teen, puberty, young adult, etc.

I also find it very ironic and "suspicious" that you apparently try to ridicule me for my use of vocabulary....and this from Stout....who seems to pride himself on his Shakespearean expertise. Yeah....pretty transparent, too me anyway.

Last but not least, I also find it highly ironic that you seem to insinuate that I try to pass opinion off as fact. A gross innaccuracy. I always try to state in as unequivocal manner as possible my opinions as opposed to "facts" in the way you seem to imply.

I am going to post one more post, composed with you in mind.
I hope you learn something from it. I really do.

:bigyawn:

Is this over yet?

Your very boring.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05