Is this club a David Boston and Rosie Colvin away from a serious playoff run?

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know we should be moving on, but what if we had resigned Boston and paired him with the best deep thrower in the league (Blake)? What if we had thrown an offer so good that Colvin couldn't have thought twice about signing elsewhere? Looking at our current roster, is it within reason to say that the current roster plus Boston and Colvin would be a playoff ready club?

I say yes.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Perhaps...maybe...who knows...

"If "if's" and "but's" were candy & nuts, we'd all have a wonderful Christmas..."

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
Perhaps...maybe...who knows...

"If "if's" and "but's" were candy & nuts, we'd all have a wonderful Christmas..."

One of my favorite lines ever!

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
One of my favorite lines ever!

How many times I heard "Dandy" Don Merideth say that on MNF...funny, I feel a strange urge for some Lipton Iced Tea...

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know we should be moving on, but what if
Never trust a person who says: "I know we should be moving on but..."

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
hmm, tough crowd. i would say we would be closer to playoff status than ever before (excluding '98).

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Holian
I know we should be moving on, but what if we had resigned Boston and paired him with the best deep thrower in the league (Blake)? What if we had thrown an offer so good that Colvin couldn't have thought twice about signing elsewhere? Looking at our current roster, is it within reason to say that the current roster plus Boston and Colvin would be a playoff ready club?

I say yes.

I say no, and that's because of the poor defensive scheme and lousy defensive coaches.

Joe Greene has a bad back, limps around, and seems to coach as little as possible.

Larry Marmie has proven nothing yet but it appears he's changing the scheme significantly this year.

The keys are DE coach Cary Godette http://azcardinals.com/team/coachdetails.php?cid=129
and Defensive backs coach Ron Milus http://azcardinals.com/team/coachdetails.php?cid=123

Codette seems to be competent but he's grossly overweight and wears a huge knee brace at practice. I hope his physical ailments don't affect his coaching the way Joe Greene's seem to affect his.

Ron Milus was demoted by Shanahan tow years ago. Why?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think with Rosie and Boston, this team would have the talent to be a playoff club, but Skorpp makes a good point - that talent would still have to be coached well - but they're not here, so who really cares?

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
I think with Rosie and Boston, this team would have the talent to be a playoff club, but Skorpp makes a good point - that talent would still have to be coached well - but they're not here, so who really cares?

I do!

Jack-ass!

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Colvin took far less $ to sign with New England. Why do the Cards get criticized for not signing him? Maybe next time they should put a gun to the guy's head, "Please Rosevelt! Accept our millions!" :p

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by Renz
Colvin took far less $ to sign with New England. Why do the Cards get criticized for not signing him? Maybe next time they should put a gun to the guy's head, "Please Rosevelt! Accept our millions!" :p

You must be registered for see images

We need to make an offer that they can't refuse...

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
oops...wrong Godfather...

You must be registered for see images

That's better!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Signing someone is about more than just opening a checkbook - I think that's been made obvious by the Colvin signing.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Colvin took far less $ to sign with New England. Why do the Cards get criticized for not signing him?

Because performance is measured by results not by what you tried to do. Graves came out after the season and said, "Colvin is our guy, and we're going to do whatever it takes to get him in here." He wasn't able to do that, and wasn't even able to convince Colvin that this was a place to come and play, even with more money. That deserves criticism.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
Because performance is measured by results not by what you tried to do. Graves came out after the season and said, "Colvin is our guy, and we're going to do whatever it takes to get him in here." He wasn't able to do that, and wasn't even able to convince Colvin that this was a place to come and play, even with more money. That deserves criticism.

But at the same time have you considered the possibility that there was NOTHING Graves could have done to sign Colvin?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardinalChris
But at the same time have you considered the possibility that there was NOTHING Graves could have done to sign Colvin?

Of course - and that may have been the case - but . . . screw it, I'm not getting into another Rod Graves cut from the same cloth/need fresh people in the organization argument again. We will agree to disagree on the offseason until we see what results are like on the field.