Is Vick really good?

seesred

Reaction score
Mike Vick great athlete horrid QB. He looks worse than any of our QB's against the Jets. BUt man is he strong and fast. He will never play a full season though. So if you had to pick..Warner..Mccown or Vick who would it be? By the way his brother plays a lot like him.

At this very moment...McCown. He can run and throw

GBR

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Vick is a 54% career passer. He is totally overrated IMO.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Pure passing wise, Id take Warner.

I do not take Vick. Until he learns to become a pocket passer (as well as run) he will not lead the Falcons to a Super Bowl.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Haven't we been over this? Vick is so much better than McCown it's not even funny.

Neither is any good at passing the ball but Vick gets around a RB's share of yardage every year with his legs. Plus Vick wins and leads Top 10 offenses and makes Pro Bowls and all those other pesky things Josh only dreams about.

Last edited:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Haven't we been over this? Vick is so much better than McCown it's not even funny.

Neither is any good at passing the ball but Vick gets around a RB's share of yardage every year with his legs. Plus Vick wins and leads Top 10 offenses and makes Pro Bowls and all those other pesky things Josh only dreams about.

I do agree with that.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Plus Vick wins and leads Top 10 offenses
I think you mean he's "carried by" a top 10 offense.

and makes Pro Bowls
The pro-bowl is largely, if not completely, a popularity contest. The fact that Vick made it there as a novelty has nothing to do with his ability as a qb.

I think the NFL Network guys put it nicely when they said that Vick was a great backup...to Warrick Dunn. A 16.3 qb rating while the team is up by 20+ points? The guy is the most overrated qb I've ever seen. He can't stay healthy, complete 50% of his passes and seems to be completely unaware that an NFL offense has two guys assigned to play wide receiver.

His scrambling ability leads to more sacks and fumbles than anything else and it boggles my mind that his job is untouchable. Can anyone imagine if say, Warner put up the kind's of numbers that Vick did tonight? He's coddled and protected by the NFL propoganda machine and Atlanta will never win a Super Bowl with him at qb.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
moklerman said:
I think you mean he's "carried by" a top 10 offense.

Don't forget the running game. Running game, top 10 defense, heck, moklerman, you and I could be the #1 and #2 QBs and the team would still win most of it's games. :D

ok, maybe not

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

Before I would have taken Ryanwb over Mcown at QB. But, through hard work, McCown has improved a bit. Now Id take my neice over McCown.

(Sorry Ryan, but she has a quicker release than you) :D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Before I would have taken Ryanwb over Mcown at QB. But, through hard work, McCown has improved a bit. Now Id take my neice over McCown.

(Sorry Ryan, but she has a quicker release than you) :D

Using the McCown O'meter as a guide I'd have to go with Vick who is something like 25-12-1 as a starter.

He'd also solve our problem with running the football.

AzWins23

Reaction score
I said it once, and i'll say it again. Vick is the most overrated football player in the NFL...Yes, he can run, but it doesn't make him a great or even a good quarterback...THe defense, and the running game makes Micheal Vick...He is nothing but average

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not a great passer and Atlanta will always have "underachieving" WR's like Jenkins and Roddy White as long as Vick plays the way he does. But you can't argue with the results, Atlanta is the best run team in the NFL because of Vick, and they conver 41% of their 3rd downs because he's such a good runner teams can't fall back in zones because it gives him too much room to run.

He's not pretty to watch as a passer for sure, and he does take too many sacks, but he's the reason they're so good running the ball, they average 5.4 per rush because of his presence.

the wild cards

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All Vick does is win games. They put in their back up QBs and he doesn't win at the same percentage as Vick. When Vick got hurt. They had the same defense and they had the same running game and they had one of the worst records in the NFL.

Vick doesn't have to be a pocket passer. Vick doesn't have to do anything except win games. And he does that at an incredible rate. If they would win when Vick is not in there you might have a point but they don't. They lose way more then they win when he is out. So it is Vick.

Whatever he does wins NFL games. Call him a RB if you want. Call him a Flex Back. Call him anything you want. But his skills win games for the Falcons. His runs. His passes. What he does to a defense. Add up to Ws and that is all that matters. The reason the other players vote him to the Pro Bowl is because he gets Ws. - players respect Ws.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Vick is the most overrated player in the league.But, i'm going to contradict myself, he puts as much pressure on the defense as any QB because of what he does as a runner.He can't beat you passing the ball and that's what the good defenses make him try to do.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Vick by far. I think he is is overrated also, but he wins games. He is Mike Vick, Whats his record since being in the league, and whats the teams record when he is not playing. All this I hear about Josh being a winner. Mike Vick, Big Ben, and Tom Brady are winners.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
They put in their back up QBs and he doesn't win at the same percentage as Vick.
Man, am I tired of the team's record being used as a qb statistic. By this rationale, Ben Roethlisberger is the greatest qb of all time. Or, how about Steve Young during his Tampa Bay days.

Comparing "his" success against his backups is a little unfair too. The backups have been Doug Johnson, Kurt Kittner and Matt Schaub. Two of those guys aren't even in the league anymore and Schaub put up 298 yards, 3 td and 0 interceptions against New England this year.

As a matter of fact, that's a great example. "Schaub" lost to New England despite his performance but "Vick" won against the Jets on Monday night. Vick did everything he could to lose that game for the Falcons, but "he's just a winner".

I agree that teams have to be concerned with his speed but I'm pretty sure most teams are content to box him in and live with his combined yardage passing and running (averaging 171 yards/game with 8 TD and 12 turnovers). Add to that, he's averaging more ypa rushing than passing (6.2 to 5.7(!)). So, his rushing is what makes him great? I think the league has caught on. His ypa is the lowest it's ever been and his passing is getting worse. It just may be that teams are focusing on him so much that they completely disregard the rb's for Atlanta but I'm somewhat doubtful.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason why Vick wins is because who wins a football game generally comes down to about 8 or 9 plays. They are pivotal moments.

We have seen so many of them against us this year. Vick makes those plays, which is why he has star status.

His overall QB game is pedestrian at best, but he is nearly unrivaled at his ability as a playmaker.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree that teams have to be concerned with his speed but I'm pretty sure most teams are content to box him in and live with his combined yardage passing and running (averaging 171 yards/game with 8 TD and 12 turnovers). Add to that, he's averaging more ypa rushing than passing (6.2 to 5.7(!)). So, his rushing is what makes him great? I think the league has caught on. His ypa is the lowest it's ever been and his passing is getting worse. It just may be that teams are focusing on him so much that they completely disregard the rb's for Atlanta but I'm somewhat doubt

The TV guys were talking about this during either the game or post game.

The point they made about what makes Vick so valuable is his running ability makes him a threat to score in the red zone. Because of this teams have to assign personnel to account for him. This gives Atlanta a better opportunity to score TD's instead of FG's.

I haven't seen enough Atlanta games or their redzone scoring with Vick compared to without him to know if this point is valid but it appears to make sense.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
The reason why Vick wins is because who wins a football game generally comes down to about 8 or 9 plays. They are pivotal moments.
I don't watch every Atlanta game but every time I've seen them the defense and running game carry the team and affect the outcome much more than anything Vick does. True, it seems that Vick is Mr. Playmaker but I think that's due more to the NFL/ESPN hype machine than anything else.

Kind of like when Tiger Woods plays in a golf tournament. He wins a lot and is the best out there but regardless of how he's doing, they're going to show highlights of him. Let's see a highlight of every swing Tiger made today, then at the end an "oh, by the way" golfer "X" is winning the tournament and has a 15 stroke lead on Tiger.

Back to Vick, keep in mind that the Michael Vick experience has given the fans 8 td's in 6 games. That's less than or equal to 16 other qb's in the NFL right now.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Back to Vick, keep in mind that the Michael Vick experience has given the fans 8 td's in 6 games. That's less than or equal to 16 other qb's in the NFL right now.

But he has almost twice as many yards rushing and 3 more TD's than our leading ball carrier.

I'd also bet that we'd be at least 4-2 now if he were our QB.

Last edited:

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I'd also bet that we'd be at least 4-2 now if he were our QB.
Too bad we won't ever know because I'd take that bet. Vick plays behind the best coached offensive line in football. Gibbs, who came from Denver when they were racking up pro-bowl rb's, has taken three 6th rounders a 7th rounder and an undrafted free agent and turned them into the best unit in the league.

In spite of that, Vick still get's sacked a lot. His rushing totals go down every year and his passing totals don't go up and actually seem to be getting worse as well.

But he has almost twice as many yards rushing and 3 more TD's than our leading ball carrier.
Vick: 1025 total yards 8 TD 12 TO's (behind the best line in football)
McWarner: 1865 total yards 6 TD 11 TO's (behind the o-line we've all come to know and love).

Now, if we were comparing rb's to rb's, I'm pretty sure Dunn/Duckett/Griffith stack up pretty well against Shipp/Arrington/Ayenbedajio(sp?)

Lastly, Atlanta's backup qb Matt Schaub, who I'm pretty sure isn't known as a runner, has 6 rushes for 59 yards (9.8 ypc) while playing qb this year. I don't think Atlanta would lose much at all if Vick was replaced by Schaub now that he's had time in the system.

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
seesred said:
Mike Vick great athlete horrid QB. He looks worse than any of our QB's against the Jets. BUt man is he strong and fast. He will never play a full season though. So if you had to pick..Warner..Mccown or Vick who would it be? By the way his brother plays a lot like him.

At this very moment...McCown. He can run and throw

GBR

How can this question even be posed? You got to be some kind of Josh fan to think anyone would chose Josh over Mike Vick. This is a total no brainer.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

He also has a canon for an arm. Very hard for teams to defend the Falcons.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Using the McCown O'meter as a guide I'd have to go with Vick who is something like 25-12-1 as a starter.

He'd also solve our problem with running the football.

Your McCown o'meter and mine read very much the same. Who had you rather have JJ or Tomlinson? That is a similar queston.