Isn't Cheap Just Stupid?

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why people complain that Sarver is cheap rather than just stupid. I'm not talking about being frugal with non-essentials. If Sarver is legitimately cheap, that means he's stupid.

In other forms of business, cheap is easily recognized as stupid. It shows up in deferred maintenance which produces breakdowns, poor custerom service that cuts down on repeat business, inadequate advertising that leads to fewer sales, exiting of top sales people and engineers as they go to competitors, etc. Cheap is stupid.

The value of a franchise is in part a reflection of the team's success. Low salary teams can make money on a cash basis, but that rarely enhances the market value of the franchise. It certainly kills sponsorships, the money from television rights, etc. In short, it is just as stupid as paying $100 million in salaries for a lottery team.

Why do so many people think Sarver is stupid? Blunders are not enough, because even the smartest people in basketball make blunders. No, it has to further than making mistakes, suggesting stupidity.

Every team except the Mavs are trying to control payroll, thus missing opportunities to get better. Are they ALL stupid?

If you really think Sarver is stupid, then say so.

Last edited:

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
I think the right cliche is "penny wise, pound foolish". He has made some very questionable moves over saving a few million dollars (letting JJ walk over $5M, selling all those draft picks, etc.). He mortgaged the future to save a few bucks - cheap AND stupid. :)

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
we will never know if jj walked because of "5 million". to keep bringing that up is asinine.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
we will never know if jj walked because of "5 million". to keep bringing that up is asinine.

While I do feel that Joe Johnson felt slighted with his contract, he did state the reason as being more that he wanted to live and play in more of a "black" town. He said he was never comfortable here.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think it is sound reasoning to assume a man who made millions off smart business decisions is stupid.

My opinion is he wanted the status of owning a franchise but is unwilling to put any risk into the investment. He also has other investors in on the deal and I wouldn't be suprised if this is dictating his movements. He is the majority owner and likely has major imput from the minority owners that restrict his ability to make sound basketball decisions which are likely unsound business decisions. You can't run a sports franchise like a business, they operate under different circumstances.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
I don't think it is sound reasoning to assume a man who made millions off smart business decisions is stupid.

My opinion is he wanted the status of owning a franchise but is unwilling to put any risk into the investment. He also has other investors in on the deal and I wouldn't be suprised if this is dictating his movements. He is the majority owner and likely has major imput from the minority owners that restrict his ability to make sound basketball decisions which are likely unsound business decisions. You can't run a sports franchise like a business, they operate under different circumstances.
Well said. Some of his decisions have stupid from a basketball standpoint, though I'm sure relatively sound from a business standpoint. I certainly don't think he is a stupid human being; you don't get to be a self-made half-billionaire without some brains.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
While I do feel that Joe Johnson felt slighted with his contract, he did state the reason as being more that he wanted to live and play in more of a "black" town. He said he was never comfortable here.

(sorry not to turn this into a JJ thread) I was one of the biggest joe johnson fans there was, I was in favor of keeping him rather than our "1 of a kind" marion and i honestly NEVER remember reading anything about how joe wanted to leave because of phoenix not being black enough for him.

I think that was insinuated in alot of articles against him but i reaaaaly have trouble believing thats why he left.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not stupid. Arrogant.

Just because you are successful at one thing does not mean you have what it takes to be successful at another.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As I recall it was all about not giving JJ the extension the season prior... which was all about money... perhaps just 5 million less that what JJ wanted. Sarver just patted him on the back that season and told him go earn your keep which he did quite nicely again the following season.

The remarks you note occurred when he was a RFA and he was peeved enough to want out of Phoenix. Also JJ got his chance to be a star by going to Atlanta.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Not stupid. Arrogant.

Exactly...

While everyone seems to want pick either Sarver or D'Antoni to blame for the mess of a direction in which the Suns seem to be heading, I've long maintained that it is BOTH Sarver and D'Antoni's arrogance (or egomania, or hubris, or whatever you want to call it) that have equally contributed to the Suns' failures to get over the top the last few years. And likewise, to the probable subsequent fall from grace for which the team seems now poised.

The ironic thing is that Sarver and D'Antoni's egomaniacal natures now conveniently provides each of them (and their supporters) a reasonable target of blame for their own part in ruining a good thing.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A bank is a pretty sweet deal. You use other people's money to make your own. If you fail, they lose everything not fdic insured, you probably don't. It's not the same as actually producing and selling something like a car, or a radio, raw materials, even NBA product, etc. Banks usually makes money, but isn't a driving force in producing anything.

It provides the means for capital for companies to do stuff, but there is a significance difference between B of A and Ford in actually creating wealth. (For which such capability is a privilege, since there is no law mandating it as the only way capital can be disbursed, just what we're used to)

For an NBA franchise, the assets directly equate to the viability of your product and comprise a lion's share of your expenses, but also accounts for, scratch that, is responsible for nearly all of your revenue.

I agree he isn't stupid, but like others have said pennywise-pound foolish is an appropriate description imo.

Also there are few good examples of this working in business. Physical output has been declining since the 60's. Selling everything off on the way down, a little here, a little there, then enough of your competitors sell more for an advantage, it 'forces' you to match it, etc. Spiraling down is your potential future profits at the sake of immediate returns. (Much like outsourcing...cheaper goods for now, more expensive in the long run then if never outsourced)

What do you sell when there's nothing left to sell? It's a little like fooling yourself into thinking your ship isn't sinking because you keep lightening the load by throwing everything not nailed down overboard.

For a while, it can appear you are fine, you can even put complete trust in faulty metrics that are assigned too much value, but eventually you run out of things to throw away, and the ship sinks.

Maybe you can even throw your stuff overboard to a ship sinking more slowly, and then when it get to be too much, that 2nd ship throws stuff another one, maybe even you throw so much stuff off, that you can take some stuff back on later. But eventually it gets to be of pyramid scheme like proportions.

Those parts you sold off, are doing others' wonders and contributing to their success. I see Spurs, Celtics, Hawks, Utah, Bulls as teams that have benefited off us recently. They aren't the only ones, and if you notice, a lot of them are pretty good teams, which were aided by our shortsightedness. Some in some pretty big ways, either as core pieces for their teams, or eventual results coming back to hurt us.

You can definitely parallel the Suns with that. Again I don't think long term, the approach $arver uses, works at all. I'm not fooled that 30-40 years of doing this is a long enough time frame to prove such a policy when it's apparent the foundation that was once strong has now crumbled. We had the youngest roster in the NBA, filled with all-star talent. Plenty of draft picks to come, scouts that seem to pick more winners than losers, and we just signed Steve Nash. That's a foundation.

Meanwhile the likes of Rajon Rondo, Deng/Igodala, jj (who we could have signed, but it's the 2nd year of negotiations that most generally remember..already at a higher price), all the other draft picks, etc, etc, etc. The fact that we gave away 2 first round draft picks to get rid of a player who then helped knock us out of the playoffs is only icing. All of which were decisions we didn't have to make. But $arver made to adhere to his asinine policy of 'fiscal responsibility' over common sense.

Fiscal responsibility is merely a name for a word where you make sound decisions and cut the fat consistently in a budget, and eliminate waste on expenditures. But somehow it's been twisted so badly it's chanted as a mantra to the point where it's more important to meet those goals, than actually running a solvent, long term operation. I see nothing from what $arver has done to show me that he believes in real fiscal responsibility, and I see everything to believe he subscribes to this crackpot imo version of it.

The profit for the suns could have been a Spurs like dynasty run...and all the media exposure, local/national/international sponsorships, apparel sales that goes with that. One could argue that being good for so long helps create fan bases in other cities...like the Yankees who have millions of non-NY fans who like and spend their money on their goods, because they are such a storied franchise, and can never be called a loser. Instead we have what we have. A team that has added over 10 years to it's average in like 3-4 years. Instead of having numerous 1st round picks, we actually now have less than 1 first round pick per year over the next few years. No championships. Coach bailed. A team that can't outrun the fastest anymore, but still hasn't shown they can play with the best slow teams. But we were fiscally responsible.

I consider $arver lucky he did make money in the business world, and in basketball the team's foundations crumbles at a much faster rate than the American economy on a macro level.

But I have little doubt that the principles he followed in a rare time in the U.S. economy allowed for his success using shortsighted measures and it be measured as success not because it was, but because everyone else was doing it and deluded themselves into thinking such because everyone and all their peers lowered the bar....and when applied to the NBA, such faulty logic reaps it's punishments far faster because the NBA as a whole, doesn't work quite the same way, and not everyone is 'doing it'. When the climate includes the likes of Paul Allen and Cuban, you're up against others that are doing the opposite...thinking either long term, or will throw whatever money to be successful. You don't see that in the general business climate.

I don't know $arver, so I'll add this in, maybe he thought long term when he was poor (so to speak), but now is playing the fiscally conservative role with the Suns to not lose what he had worked for. But then I would say he's betraying what got him there. You don't get to the major leagues as a pitcher and then hit. Unless you are Owings, Ruth, Ankiel. It's rare, and you can not bank on 'it'.

Maybe he IS doing it because of other investors. If that's the case, every day he doesn't try to buy them out is a day he acquiesces to shortsighted viewpoints that can ruin the 'bigger picture' of running, operating, and at some time in the future profiting off the franchise.

He hasn't done that, I haven't heard of him trying, (not that any of us would necessarily hear), so I have to assume he's either an architect to it, or is a person who does believe in such practices.

Besides, if you can't afford an NBA team, don't buy one. Reminds me a small bit of Gordon Gecko from Wall Street. Maybe not in the complicity of his actions, and set aside the legal issues in the movie, but the bottom line of taking a good company and stripping it of it's assets, yes, I think we can see it was done pretty clearly with the Suns. When I think of my favorite Gordon Gecko quote right now it reminds me of $arver, 'it's a dog with fleas'.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
One of the biggest issues with Sarver is his willingness to spend $$$ on bigname hasbeen players like Shaq and nickel and dime younger up and coming players or sell picks. This ownership group as a whole seems to have some affinity for the 1997 all star team and it pisses me off, it's like a bunch of fantasy gheys running around making horrible basketball decisions, I can just see their little beady eyes light up when a Shaq is mentioned..."oh yeah I know who that is, F yeah get him!!!" "That should be the most concerning thing to fans here... Is Sarvernomics going to be defined as spending a lot on on washed up players he can sell on suns.com to keep a few clueless fans happy or is he going to rebuild soundly?

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I started this thread after reading about six posts in a row that simply assumed that Sarver would do something stupid because he is stupid or has a character flaw with the same results.

As I said before, being cheap in basketball is stupid from a business standpoint. Bad teams are less valuable in the open market.

Too often stupid decisions are simply miscalculations. The Suns traded KT to save money, but they also believed they could sign PJ Brown inexpensively. That was a miscalcuation that came back to haunt them. But after two years of KT getting injured, the other option was also a risk.

The decision to trade for Shaq was another calculated risk. Shaq is one of the bew people in the NBA who can defense Duncan one on one. Anyone who watched how often Duncan backed down Chandler and forced the Hornets to double team him should consider how important what Shaq had was. Past glory was far less important than the low post defense Shaq brought.

IMHO, it is fine the complain about financial limits and wish the Suns would allways make brilliant moves. That is the role of the fan. But to conclude the owner is stupid because he doesn't do what you want is just lame.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
There is a big difference between cheap and stupid, in the case of sarver:

Cheap: Selling draft picks constantly, not stupid since D'antoni wouldn't play them

Cheap: Selling James Jones when there were plans to sell KT already

Stupid: Letting Tim Thomas go over 1-2 million a year, but spending 4-5 million per on marcus banks who was a COMPELTELY unproven.

Stupid: Not singing Joe Johnson to about 8.5 million a year waay back (50m/6years), which is a great deal considering how young he was, and how much upside he had.

Cheap + Stupid: Selling KT +2 first round draft picks

It is a combination of cheap and boneheaded moves that have screwed us, now tack on moves that SHOULD have worked but blew up in our faces:

2 Draft picks and diaw for Joe Johnson most specifically signing diaw to 45 million. Completely blew up in our face, diaw is a HUGE bust as he progressively gets worse every new season after signing the contract.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Not cheap nor stupid.

Just greedy, eager to get some money back from his investment. Winning a championship is not the primary goal of a banker-led team of owners/investors.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I just think a lot of the fans think Sarver has thrown good money after bad in essentially spending more later for to replace what could have been had either for less earlier, or what would have been better for the same amount.

Essentially, I think a lot of us have more confidence that the 04-05 Suns could have learned to beat the Spurs than the the later versions that were reactions to the Spurs. Or could have gotten by the Mavericks in 05-06 if Joe Johnson could have been retained. We'll never know.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
One of the reasons this discussion degenerates so quickly is that at least half of it is based on mythology.

Sarver agreed to the match the Atlanta offer yet JJ all but demanded that he not do that. JJ said he really wanted to go to Atlanta and be the main man there and hinted at conflicts with Amare. Do you pay $75 million for a guy who really doesn't want to play for your team?

What is the response to this? People insist that Sarver was just bluffing to get a better deal in the sign and trade. How do they know that? Because other proponents of the Sarver is stuipid/cheap say so.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I do not believe it is correct when people say it's alright that we traded away 1st round picks (via cheap or stupid reasonings or other) because D'Antoni wouldn't play them.

D'Antoni really only played 7-8 guys, there wasn't much difference between being the 9th or 10th man and the 11th or 12th man. None of them got many minutes. But all did see some playing time. But he only played in crunch time those he trusted. Maybe adding more talent via draft picks would have provided D'antoi with the tools to enlarge his rotation.

So whether it was a rookie making next to nothing...even if they are the #1 pick overall in the draft, it really isn't much of a financial setback.

If they aren't playing, they're still practicing, learning, and YOU HAVE THE TALENT SECURED on your roster.

Personally speaking over the years I've come to the conclusion that if the guy isn't a lebron james type, it usually takes 2-3-4 years for them to come into their own.

So if D'antoni doesn't play them their first year or two that much, and increases it more in the 3rd and 4th year, it's really to be expected. While D'antoni plays them less than most, (on a better team than most), unless they are lebron james, kevin durant, etc type players, or are on a 15-67 team, those picks wouldn't play much the first couple of years anyways....and with how dantoni used a short rotation, we need not count on them on a consistent basis.

In essence if your coach doesn't like to play rookies, and he uses a short rotation, I see that as a perfect time to stash away guys while they learn. (And maybe $arver thought it was the perfect time to unload some assets for $$)

Even then, with tucker and strawberry, they got as much time as some of our veteran backups, and he did that knowing that neither tucker nor strawberry were going to be world beaters. If we can stash someone picked around 55th, why couldn't we have stashed rajon rondo, or luol deng, or the list goes on and on.

So you could have Sean Marks not playing, or Rajon Rondo not playing...thought wise going into the season. Or in previous seasons where we had the likes of jalen rose.

Additionally now that Dantoni is gone, all those players he 'wouldn't' of played would still be around now....when we need them.

You don't have to pick guys to make an impact that year. And in no year, until this upcoming one do we have a 'need' where we have to take an impact player that year. We were stocked. We needed role players, which can be found in any year. (Sans a big man that we could never really get, sign, or draft), and now that we have a big man, we still need roleplayers; backup pg, wing player.

So now when we start needing the depth this past year, next year, and in subsequent years we're pretty bare because we never restocked with young talent.

It's hard to believe that guys we draft go from Barbosa-Tucker...nothing in between kept on the roster (well dijon thompson for a bit). Imagine if the cardinals didn't draft anyone in 2004, 2005, 2006, and finally got a couple of 4th round picks in 2007...and did that after stockpiling multiple 1st round picks. There is no excuse for not having depth at this point for the suns.

Also we cannot forget that rosters were increased to 13 players, so now more than ever is it more feasible to keep draft picks even if you don't play them.

We had the roster space to keep some of these guys...even though we probably wouldn't of played many of them much. But then again, if we need say a backup pg, and we have a rondo or rodriguez on the roster, they probably would have cracked the rotation. D'antoni said he liked players who he could throw out there and not slow the team down because they are inexperienced. That said, some guys don't play too inexperienced. If they showed they could, like some can, they'll get time. At the very least if we held onto them for a year or two, they'd have to be worth more than 3 million dollars.

In any case, we needed to keep the pipeline full, and we didn't. I highly doubt it was because D'antoni didn't want them. I think D'Antoni said what he said as a way of telling the press that we didn't need them to win that specific year, but he still wanted them...but it was directed from upstairs...and was D'Antoni supposed to come out and say 'Owner is Cheap, made me sell the picks'.

I highly believe it was done to save money. Maybe $arver thought he could sell off his future assets and still make a profit, and he probably did. For that someone may consider him pennywise-pound foolish. I highly doubt it was because of dropping salary. I really feel that 3 million maximum payment was what he wanted.

Who here wishes they could pay 3 million dollars to acquire rondo at his bargain basement salary, or deng/a.ig, rodruigez, etc, etc.

Those 'savings' help create our needs as a basketball team now. Should he overspend to compensate again? Trade two more draft picks in the hopes that one sf/sg/ backup pg is enough to push us over the top?

I would say that thinking you can gut a championship caliber team and get a return on your investment can legitimately be called stupid. I may or may not say so, but I can understand that impression. I don't think I could make much money operating a pizza hut franchise if I sell the pizza ovens. If you have two, sure you can sell one and make a grand or so, but come friday night you'll only be able to make about 1/2 as many pizzas, customers have to wait longer for delivery, and thus you lose more money than you get.

Last edited:

mack2323

Reaction score
I don't think he's cheap or stupid. We're alway a contender for the last 5 years and we're just unfortunate to advance against the Spurs due to injuries and the Spurs smart play (flopping, dirty plays, hack a schaq etc.). Were always above salary but just don't to want to be in the level paying luxury tax.

The reason we trade Marion is because the Suns could not extend Marion's contract for some reason ( maybe length and amount of the contract or maybe he doesn't want to play with Amare).

What if we stayed with Marion this year and he opt out of his contract the next season. You don't get anything in return and probaly have about 7 million (approximate availabe from cap) to find a free agent. What kind of free agent player do you get for 7 million? would you trade Nash?
Trade Diaw for the center of the Mavs (forgot his name)?

By getting Shaq this year, it still give as the chance to contend for title.
Also it give us a chance and time to aquire players in the future via trade using his contract. Remember team has minimum salary cap required and some teams need this contract to meet requirements. 20 million contract are easy to move these days. For 20 million worth of trades there is great chance that you can get real talent, instead of keeping first round picks that could end up like Kwame Brown.

The main point is to contend. Contenders have the shot for a title but not a Lottery Team.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I remember the Suns sending Googs and 2 1st round picks to unload his contract a few months before it expired. I believe in return we received ONE 2nd round pick. That's right months before it expired. Some teams can land 2 1st round picks or players, we SEND 2 1st round picks. It wasn't for cap space, it was for $$$.

So while others might try to gain talent from ridding O'Neal's contract, if we use precedent as a guide, it's more likely (though never certain) that $arver trades assets to get rid of O'Neal's contract before the trading deadline this coming year, next season's off season, or the season after next's trading deadline.

Not to mention, it's shaq. So the places we want to trade him are limited (as many high profile players will refuse to go to say ATL or Memphis), unless he's capable of being traded in name only, and never plays a game on that team. My guess is he'd want to be sent to a contender, and I doubt it would be easy for a contender to give up a bunch of talent/picks for him.

My guess is we're locked in until it expires, and given precedent with googs, that might be the best thing we can do.

Last edited:

mack2323

Reaction score
I remember the Suns sending Googs and 2 1st round picks to unload his contract a few months before it expired. I believe in return we received ONE 2nd round pick. That's right months before it expired. Some teams can land 2 1st round picks or players, we SEND 2 1st round picks. It wasn't for cap space, it was for $$$.

So while others might try to gain talent from ridding O'Neal's contract, if we use precedent as a guide, it's more likely (though never certain) that $arver trades assets to get rid of O'Neal's contract before the trading deadline this coming year, next season's off season, or the season after next's trading deadline.

Not to mention, it's shaq. So the places we want to trade him are limited (as many high profile players will refuse to go to say ATL or Memphis), unless he's capable of being traded in name only, and never plays a game on that team. My guess is he'd want to be sent to a contender, and I doubt it would be easy for a contender to give up a bunch of talent/picks for him.

My guess is we're locked in until it expires, and given precedent with googs, that might be the best thing we can do.

Trades are not limited to 2 teams only. Trades are also done involving different teams defending on their needs, its either aquring talent, needing expiring contracts, reaching the minimum salary required for salary cap and many more that we dont' realy now. There a lot players that paid million of dollars close to 20 millions that sometime don't realy play the season. Remenber Juwan Howard, Grant Hill (Injured orlando) just to name a few.

O'Neal should be professional wherever he ends up. He can spin whatever he want like saying helping Amare to become MVP. He can alway make stuff why his moving to another team if it's happen. If he seats out and pretend to be injured it's up to him, it's going to reflect in his reputation.

Small market like the Suns has to make some decision to make sure that they won't lose money at the same time to be competitive.

The reason why Thomas was traded is to save about 16 million dollars ( half is from luxury tax ) plus the cash they received. They know that they will be trading Shawn Marion (reason on previous post) anyway, that's why they traded for Shaq to fill Thomas position.

Draft picks are pretty much for rebuilding team most of the time. Do you want to in be this position.

Can you guarantee that your draft pick will help your team to contend ( a la Sam Cassel )? This thing is rare to happen.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
(sorry not to turn this into a JJ thread) I was one of the biggest joe johnson fans there was, I was in favor of keeping him rather than our "1 of a kind" marion and i honestly NEVER remember reading anything about how joe wanted to leave because of phoenix not being black enough for him.

I think that was insinuated in alot of articles against him but i reaaaaly have trouble believing thats why he left.

This is true, I still remember that picture you took of JJ's jersey on the back of your truck with the "just divorced" sign.

Priceless. :rockon:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Most of those situations are reactionary to making bad decisions. Meeting minimum salary requirements isn't really an issue with our team. Most of what we did wasn't acquiring talent, but shipping it off. Shipping them off within a couple or so years on the team.

Richardson and Jones are perfect examples. We sign them to contracts, and then say whoops, bad move. Then shipped them off using picks. KT we acquired using picks, then we send him off for picks, and subsequently he lands on the Spurs.

Each step of the way they knew what was coming down the line. They knew how much they would have to dole out. If they were concerned about how much they were going to have to pay in luxury tax, that would have been something discussed and decided upon before going through with the transaction. So either $arver changed his mind, or erred in .

The problem with changing his mind in this case is like he took out mortgages on his property to do things, locking himself in by investing heavily in it, and then when the price of the house goes down decides to ditch that investment for something smaller, giving equity away to just to get out from under the obligation. Once he does, he takes out a mortgage on the newer smaller house, and the same thing happens. From 1.5 million, to 800,000, to 500,000. Still a good house, i.e. make the playoffs, but not the same thing.

If they didn't analyze the impact, then it might be called ineptness. Either way isn't good.

The suns have had a fire sale on their picks, each time there were good value players on the board, and many times the trades were announced when there was an assured perceived value available for that pick. I.E. 4 value players with the Suns pick only 3 slots away. In the case of KT and Jones, after we locked them in, then paid to get rid of them, we then missed what they brought to the team. In regards to these players, other gm's 'got us coming and going'.

The one with #7, the trade was announced around pick 4 if memory serves correct, and they thought neither deng, nor iggs would be there.

The Suns have a good track record in the draft. No pick is a sure shot, even if they look like one. However if you have a good scouting staff and you allow them to pick 5 players from those picks, we aren't going to miss on all of them, and where we were at the time talent wise you consolidate what you have. 2 decent picks that bring the value of barbosa to the team that are young at this point would do wonders for the team.

If things weren't so shoot from the hip, $arver could have saved money by ditching his scouts the last 4 years. Might as well have.

I agree that we had the misfortune of meeting up with the Spurs and some freak things over the years, however we had the tools to put ourselves completely over the top of the Spurs...and be younger outlasting their dynasty. Maybe so much so, that we prevent the word 'dynasty' from being associated with the Spurs.

I doubt with all the picks we gave away we couldn't have found 2 of such players on par with barbosa in terms of talent. Odds are we'd of found about 4 players that were either serviceable, barbosa like, or better. In such a case, that misfortune might not have been misfortune, and looking ahead we'd still be pretty stocked. These picks are cheap and any player can be the player that counts for dollar for dollar above the amount, it doesn't have to be the rookies. Hell if it makes us feel better we could've said that it was part of Nash's or Amare's contracts that put us over, and thus we were paying 20 million for nash because of the tax. But we out-psyched ourselves and said, no it's KT, or Jones, or Richardson, or it would have been JJ, etc, etc.

We had the control of our destiny, and we used that control to keep our costs low instead of win. Not one decision, but many over the years. Any edge we had, or lead in talent we had...eroded with every decision. Now I see teams stocked with young talent ready to emerge, and challenge us, and overtake us, and we've been content with spinning our wheels.

You let yourself get jobbed like that as a team, it's bad leadership from wherever it came from. But seeing how things were made for financial reasons time and time again, it can be pretty obvious where the direction came from.

There are 15-20 million dollar a year contracts floating around, but as you said when a need is some teams like to acquire such and give you picks if you have one....we've shown for financial reasons to PAY picks to offload an expiring contract. Why should any of us believe that $arver won't trade Shaq and our 2012 pick to get rid of him and save 5 or 10 mill + pick savings, just to get him off our books...instead of each of the following
a) let it expire, and keep your pick, try for one last playoff run with shaq
b)trade him, get picks or players, and obviously cap room is off

No again $arver has shown he'll do something like this
C) trade him, pay picks, to save money

I'm not saying he'll do this, I'm saying given precedent he's shown me no reason to think otherwise. He's done it before, and sold tons of picks which helps build a foundation for such precedent to be considered. (It adds weight to it)

Shaq should be a professional. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. The problem is most players have no trade clauses. We didn't get KG because Marion said 'no', don't want to be traded there. Besides finding someone, and assuming you'll get the deal, you have to also account for the no trade clauses.

With Shaq, I doubt you could get him to waive his no trade clause to go to the likes of Memphis or Toronto. He'd only want to go to a contender, and a contender won't have the assets/cap space, nor the desire to come up with a way to take on a 20 million dollar contract. There might be a possibility, but it would be improbable, and unwise to assume that it would be possible to meet both O'Neal's desires, and our own.

Now if he is 'retired' it doesn't matter what team he is on. But at this point, if it doesn't work out next year, I can still see Shaq wanting to make one last run in 2010 whether it's here or elsewhere. If a team has no shot at it, he won't go there when there is still a chance here.

They traded for shaq as a knee jerk reaction coupled with Shaq actually being available, and us having a huge NEED created in the offseason.

We have KT, there is no Shaq trade. We didn't trade KT because we knew we could get Shaq, we traded KT for money, and then decided, whoops, we need another big person. So we give up an allstar player who can play another 7 years potentially at a pretty high level for Shaq who might have played the best he will in a Suns uniform.

Not saying he will do that, I think he has a shot at having a better season, and a better fit with us this year, but I can't really 'bank' on that being enough.

Marion might have stayed, but I highly doubt it. We could have waited and got a player of similar age, instead of an old O'Neal. Given the situation we were in, I don't mind the risk so much, but I'd be a fool to think O'Neal would have been our best offer. We had KG in our sights and the offer was there, and we could have gotten good value for Marion elsewhere, just not 'right then'...for last year.

Draft picks can contribute the first season, but generally years 2-4 will be the years they blossom. That said, this year, and each season we had guys we could have done without at the end of the bench in favor of a guy like Rondo, Deng/iggs, etc. As with those players it's clear that in years 2-4. Years those draft picks could have helped us is in the 2006, 2007, and 2008 playoffs. Rondo would have been good this year, in previous years, Deng would have had an impact, if it was iggs instead of Deng, he's already had years as well that could have helped us, and that's just a small portion of what we could have had, and at the time were players valued and known to be a good player to put a bet on by many around the league and its peers. Those are just from a couple of our 'picks' we didn't keep.

Going forward we still don't own our 2010 1st round pick, and we'll still be paying for these mistakes then. Some feel it's possible that it's a lottery pick. Given the Warriors, and we're in the west, it's not impossible we could be a 9th seed type that year and still with 45-47 games.

A team should always be building, even during their peak. Maybe they keep more slots open for vets, but still try to bring in young talent. We haven't. We haven't when there was clear valuable talent we could have added.

We said we don't want rooks for money reason more than impact reasons, even though they are cheap as hell, and then don't go out and pick up enough vets to really fill out the squad.

They get great deals on Jim Jackson, and Grant Hill, strike fire in Eddie House, etc. In the end, we weren't proactive enough to fill out our roster with vets we needed, and yet didn't use those roster spots on any of the number of picks we had, where talent we needed could be had. In a time where rosters actually increased by one.

You can't guarantee a draft pick, just like you can't necessarily guarantee people like Brian Grant will help us. Given where we were, and given one strength of this team has been our scouts ability to find good players, and you have numerous picks...you take your chances when you are a couple of good picks away from having a potential Dynasty.

Instead of building a team, we start dismantling it. We miss what we had, overcompensate, need to save money, make another move, miss what we had, make boneheaded draft/fa decisions need to save money, etc, etc.

All done for money reasons imo.

In the end, the savings are small because of the overcompensating. In fact the overcompensating was caused by trying to 'save'. For these mistakes we've given away what amounts to almost a decades worth of 1st round picks.

Given that the stated value of good franchises rises, some of these losses we tried not to take would have been wiped out by the increased value of the franchise.

Again 401 million $arver paid, it was worth 445 pre-shaq trade. Probably a bit more now. That's 44 million more, maybe more like 450-60 at this point from what he paid. If tried to sell it right now, no doubt they'd add a premium to that stated price.

To come full circle, the Suns were valued at I believe 325-350 million when Sarver bought them for 401 million. So if we used the more modest 350 million value of the franchise, the franchise has increased in value roughly 100 million dollars since $arver bought it, and if sold, he probably could get around 500 million, realizing that 100 million dollar increase.

This amount is far enough to wipe out any small peanuts few million dollars here or there, but we 'blinked' at each small amount, and dug to China to get out of a 6 foot hole rather than just suck it up and climb out.

What's the few million on JJ's contract
What's the few million on googs contract
etc, etc.

So many things like this, so many assets used to cover mistakes, allowing us to then make more mistakes, only to use assets to cover those mistakes.

Especially when then you turn around and make poor decisions overcompensating for everything. It shows lack of vision, lack of a plan, lack of ability to operate a franchise, and shortsightedness.

Lack of restraint to waste what we had. Lack of knowledge that there will always be needs, thus you'll always have an opportunity to overspend to make yourself better whether in fa or trade. Lack of knowledge that when you give up talent and assets, you make yourself worse.

Yet our owner/gm combo's decided to go down that route. Keep switching directions like that and nothing gets done. Imagine a captain of a ship saying sail north for 2 months, south for 2 months, north for 2 months, south for 2 months, wasting resources, wear and tear, and throwing cargo overboard because you keep scraping yourself against the same reef each time you pass. That's the sort of result he got from wanting to win, wanting to save, wanting to win, wanting to save. Each time being the one who 'needs' the transaction and being bent over in negotiations with other GM's/Owners each time because of it.

The main thing is, the catalyst, and the continuing downward pressure on our roster was caused by $$$. $$$ that in the end didn't save much. If you consider the lost endorsements, extra playoff games, apparel, and franchise worth increases from fielding a championship/multi-championship club and factor in the already 100 million dollar increase, where was the need to save a few million? Was it worth shredding our roster down to a few core pieces, two of which could have drop off season at any time? I doubt it. Our owner(s) squandered it. As I said before, sold a gold mine for the price of swamp land.

We wasted the accumulation of talent that some franchises have never seen ever collected on a team. Even for us it's rare. This was the best stocked Suns era in terms of young talent, and upcoming picks I've seen in my 22 years following the Suns when I was 8 and went to my first game.

These opportunities are rare for any club, even for us 'spoiled' suns fans with 50 win seasons every year. In the end, with the overcompensating, we wasted that gift for peanuts.

Can we still win a championship, sure, we could. But we don't have a team able to be locked into WC Finals for the next 7 or so years only needing to account for the eventual departure of Nash, combined with not having the talent that might have led to a championship or two ALREADY.

That's where we could have been, even if we bombed on half our picks. That amount saved over the past few years, much of which lost from overcompensating was not worth this. $arver's philosophy. 'A winning one'.

If there were basketball gods for how we treated such a loaded team, we as fans would be in trouble. lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05