I've figured out Denny's double talk: If he defends you, you are in deep #@$#.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've finally cracked the Denny Green BS code. If the coach defends you publically or talks you up you are in deep you know what. Here's my proof.

Calvin Pace and Wendell Bryant-Immediately after getting hired Green says Pace and Bryant are first round picks and have pro bowl potential. Bryant never sniffs the field and eventually gets cut. Pace starts 2004 training camp as a 4th string defensive end and plays preseason games into the 4th quarter with camp fodder destined to be cut.

Reggie Wells- Before the 2005 season Green says he is very comfortable with Wells as his starter at left guard. Likes the left side of the line. Wells may be on the street by the start of the 2006 season.

Josh McCown-After benching McCown during the 2004 season and immediately after the 2004 season Green goes on the defensive and says that he still believes Josh is going to be a very good starting quarterback. 3 weeks later he signs Kurt Warner and again defends McCown, says its and open competition and then in early June 2005 gives the job to Warner. Bye bye Josh.

Oliver Ross-Green publically defends Ross in the last press conference. Excuses Ross for his horrible play by saying that he was hurt all year.

John Navarrre-Goes on the offensive saying that Navarre has impeccable character and will most likely be the #2 guy next year.

JJ Arrington-Chastizes the media, saying that you guys ran out Thomas Jones and look what he has done in Chicago. JJ can run the rock!!!

Bryant is gone, Pace may follow. Wells will most likely be replaced, McCown is a goner. Oliver Ross will probably stay but he will be on thin ice. Arrington is going to have to look over his shoulder at most likely a #1 pick challenging him for his job.

I kind of like Denny's approach. Green shoulders the public scrutiny for these turds by giving them praise in the public. I'll bet that isn't what happens behind closed doors.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Denny never criticizes his players in the media. Additionally, he never bad mouths them after they leave. He just says he is going in another direction. The team to Denny is like a family and everything stays within the family.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pace was the primary DE behind Berry and Okeafor last season and was playing very well prior to his arm injury. He was being praised and rightfully so. I think that as long as he heals up ok he will definitely be back as the primary BU DE.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
az jam said:
Denny never criticizes his players in the media. Additionally, he never bad mouths them after they leave. He just says he is going in another direction. The team to Denny is like a family and everything stays within the family.

Oh please. Spare me.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
red desert said:
Oh please. Spare me.

And what is so wrong with what he said?

He has never bad mouthed a player in his whole career. He keeps everything in house, without a doubt.

Last edited:

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Wells will not be unemployed next year. He is average and plays both inside and out. He'll be somewhere. If it is "on the street" it will be walking to his next team. We would be wise to retain him.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Pace was the primary DE behind Berry and Okeafor last season and was playing very well prior to his arm injury. He was being praised and rightfully so. I think that as long as he heals up ok he will definitely be back as the primary BU DE.

You really think Pace will be back? I can't see it. He wasn't one of Green's picks and he really screwed up last year when the team needed him. He'll be a good player for another team next season.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
Wells will not be unemployed next year. He is average and plays both inside and out. He'll be somewhere. If it is "on the street" it will be walking to his next team. We would be wise to retain him.

Wells is a keeper if he comes back healthy. He is good, experienced depth.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
You really think Pace will be back? I can't see it. He wasn't one of Green's picks and he really screwed up last year when the team needed him. He'll be a good player for another team next season.

I think the only way Pace doesn't come back is if his arm injury was so bad that he can't play period. If Pace picks up where he left off last year he will be rotating with Berry and Okeafor.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
I hope they do bring Pace back but I hear they like the way Antonio Smith is developing. Keep in mind that they put Pace on the non-football injury list and didn't pay him after he got hurt. The last guy they did that to was cast away.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
duckfallas said:

Yup. If Green cuts a guy who was becoming very productive over that then that would be yet another in a long line of dumb decisions.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
I hope they do bring Pace back but I hear they like the way Antonio Smith is developing. Keep in mind that they put Pace on the non-football injury list and didn't pay him after he got hurt. The last guy they did that to was cast away.

Antonio Smith did do a good job for them last year. I remember in one of Denny Greens interviews that he said Pace would be back next year. That is why I figure Pace will be here. Anything can happen and Denny does flip flop sometimes with what he says, but at the same time Pace was really looking good before he hurt his arm.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
Keep in mind that they put Pace on the non-football injury list and didn't pay him after he got hurt. The last guy they did that to was cast away.

He only lost his remaining game checks and the pro rated bonus for just the games he missed. Pace didnt even try to take a grievance to the NFLPA, he knew he did wrong and understands it. Which is why I believe there is no hard feelings either way. If there was a grievance I think their would be troubles brewing, but there wasnt. Thats just my speculation on the whole deal.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
joeshmo said:
He only lost his remaining game checks and the pro rated bonus for just the games he missed. Pace didnt even try to take a grievance to the NFLPA, he knew he did wrong and understands it. Which is why I believe there is no hard feelings either way. If there was a grievance I think their would be troubles brewing, but there wasnt. Thats just my speculation on the whole deal.

:stupid:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser