I've seen this before!

Minix

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A coach in his third year with a make it or break it message from management.

A new quarterback to lead the offense of a new Offensive Coordinator.

The acquisition of a premiere running back that others gave up as being out of gas.

Drafting a receiver with their first round pick who goes on to have a big year.

Long shot odds (200-1) from Vegas and every other self-proclaimed expert.

Sound familiar? That's the 1999 St. Louis Rams. The 2000 Super Bowl Cahmpions.

All you have to do is replace Vermiel, Green/Warner, Martz, Faulk, and Holt in the above scenarios with their respective Cardinals counterparts and you have lightning striking twice.

I was there. Now I'm here. Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm the good luck charm.

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
Originally posted by Minix
A coach in his third year with a make it or break it message from management.

A new quarterback to lead the offense of a new Offensive Coordinator.

The acquisition of a premiere running back that others gave up as being out of gas.

Drafting a receiver with their first round pick who goes on to have a big year.

Long shot odds (200-1) from Vegas and every other self-proclaimed expert.

Sound familiar? That's the 1999 St. Louis Rams. The 2000 Super Bowl Cahmpions.

All you have to do is replace Vermiel, Green/Warner, Martz, Faulk, and Holt in the above scenarios with their respective Cardinals counterparts and you have lightning striking twice.

I was there. Now I'm here. Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm the good luck charm.

The only we're missing is an Arena League quarterback, but damn I hope you're right.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its always possible especially in the NFL and with the parity in this league.

This could be the next Rams, Ravens, Patriots, etc......

Would be nice! :thumbup:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except I don't think anyone had "given up" on Faulk or claimed he was "out of gas" (I think he was only in his 4th or 5th year when he went to the Rams), otherwise, yes, it is very similar.

OP
OP
M

Minix

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by arthurracoon
Thanks for moving to AZ Minix!

:thumbup:

Do I get my own convertible with cheerleaders on each arm in the champions parade going down Central Ave?

OP
OP
M

Minix

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
Except I don't think anyone had "given up" on Faulk or claimed he was "out of gas" (I think he was only in his 4th or 5th year when he went to the Rams), otherwise, yes, it is very similar.

The feeling in Indy was that Faulk had reached his limit and he was traded to the Rams for a 2nd and a 5th round pick. Considering what he's done versus that value it could be an implied definition of "given up" on. And Dick Vermiel was against the trade at the time.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YEAR TEAM G GS Att Yds Avg Lg TD
1994 Indianapolis Colts 16 16 314 1282 4.1 52 11
1995 Indianapolis Colts 16 16 289 1078 3.7 40 11
1996 Indianapolis Colts 13 13 198 587 3.0 43 7
1997 Indianapolis Colts 16 16 264 1054 4.0 45 7
1998 Indianapolis Colts 16 15 324 1319 4.1 68t 6
1999 St. Louis Rams 16 16 253 1381 5.5 58 7

I don't know about what Vermiel was thinking about the trade at the time, but as far as public perception goes, Faulk still had a lot of gas in his tank. He was considered a top-tier back even in 1998--he rushed for 1,319 yards.

It's not important in the context of this thread--I agree with you that the Cards have the makings of a "cinderalla story" this year, I just don't think comparing Marshall Faulk's situation back in '99 is fair to Emmitt Smith this year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep, 5 years as a Colt before the trade, he was quite a bit younger in years and in NFL years than Emmitt.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The feeling in Indy was that Faulk had reached his limit and he was traded to the Rams for a 2nd and a 5th round pick. Considering what he's done versus that value it could be an implied definition of "given up" on. And Dick Vermiel was against the trade at the time.

Actually the problem was his contract, Faulk made a lot, was nearing the end, and wanted a big new contract. The Colts didn't want to pay him so they traded him and drafted Edgerrin, who has what complained twice a year since they drafted him about HIS contract?

Great player pre knee injury but what a pain in the rear James is.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
Actually the problem was his contract, Faulk made a lot, was nearing the end, and wanted a big new contract. The Colts didn't want to pay him so they traded him and drafted Edgerrin, who has what complained twice a year since they drafted him about HIS contract?

Per Clayton he is looking like the James of old in T/C if so that could spell some trouble for that division!

The guy definately has skills!

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith

What I don't understand is why trade Faulk and then draft a Faulk clone?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think that Faulk was also seen as a "clubhouse cancer" in Indy, and that changed when he was on a winner in the STL, but when they started losing again last season, it all came out again.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
I think that Faulk was also seen as a "clubhouse cancer" in Indy, and that changed when he was on a winner in the STL, but when they started losing again last season, it all came out again.

OIC

OP
OP
M

Minix

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
YEAR TEAM G GS Att Yds Avg Lg TD
1994 Indianapolis Colts 16 16 314 1282 4.1 52 11
1995 Indianapolis Colts 16 16 289 1078 3.7 40 11
1996 Indianapolis Colts 13 13 198 587 3.0 43 7
1997 Indianapolis Colts 16 16 264 1054 4.0 45 7
1998 Indianapolis Colts 16 15 324 1319 4.1 68t 6
1999 St. Louis Rams 16 16 253 1381 5.5 58 7

I don't know about what Vermiel was thinking about the trade at the time, but as far as public perception goes, Faulk still had a lot of gas in his tank. He was considered a top-tier back even in 1998--he rushed for 1,319 yards.

It's not important in the context of this thread--I agree with you that the Cards have the makings of a "cinderalla story" this year, I just don't think comparing Marshall Faulk's situation back in '99 is fair to Emmitt Smith this year.

Never let facts get in the way of a good story.

OP
OP
M

Minix

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by azdad1978
What I don't understand is why trade Faulk and then draft a Faulk clone?

The feeling back then was that he was injury prone and he couldn't hold up much longer on the hard turf. He kept putting up decent numbers but he did miss some time with injuries. James was considered stronger and more durable. And of course money factored in.

Nay sayers in St. Louis were concerned about a fragile Marshall Faulk. The Rams were set to draft James with the #6 pick before the trade for Faulk was made.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never let facts get in the way of a good story.

Excellent reference.

I just watched "Chopper" with Eric Bana last night and had a rare moment of clarity and remembered this post when this line was spoken ("Never let facts get in the way of a good yarn").

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05