J.R Smith To Denver

NugzFan

Registered
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
Thats why I said IF. With Smith what I hear is that his father is in his ear alot. If his father is contradicting coaching(and criticism of his game that is meant to motivate his improvement) then it would probably make him difficult to coach. The key to development of a player that has the potential of Smith is that he must learn to play smart and within a system. My guess is that his dad knows alot less about this than the coaches, and thats not much of a reach at all.

yeah i do hate that his father is so influential (which can be good but he seems to get in the way) but so far, smith says hes happy to be on the nuggets and looking forward to the opportunity.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NugzFan said:
sounds like a column written by krieger (denverpost) where you define a player by what hes traded for. fortunately (or unfortunatley - depending on what side you are on) its not the case in the nba. players are often traded for far less than what they are worth.

is smith part of that? who knows but i doubt ill miss the 2nd rounders. and im pretty sure he will improve, even only a little. which still makes teh deal worth it. and if hes between q and tmac (agreed, a large gap...i only used them to keep consistent with the thread) im even happier.

as you should be. I think we can all agree that the move was a no-brainer for the Nuggets. 2nd round picks are a dime a dozen and the Nuggets NEEDED to make a deal for shooters. When you're faced with NEED, risks are usually what are taken. This is basically a boom or nothing trade. It can't be a bust because you guys gave up nothing. It'll be interesting to see if you guys can recapture that magic you had in the 2nd half of two seasons ago. Melo is a beast and he deserves to have a better team around him for the NBA's sake.

That being said, I still hope you guys suck! :)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
dreamcastrocks said:
I really do not understand the hatred for Q on this board, but then again I do. If you do not show up for the playoffs once, you might as well be dead. Makes sense on why everyone hear wants to trade Marion.

Q's best basketball was played before he came to the Suns. In fact, I think that he was better than Maggette. Quentin was completely overpowering SG and most SF in the low post, and could have easily averaged 20ppg if he was receiving the ball.

Quentin only did want D'Antoni advised him to do...that is shoot the wide open 3. This was a newer facet to his game, so it was expected to shoot it inaccurately. He was also misused on the Knicks because of the logjam that they have in ego charged guards over there.

Now, if your watred of him stems because of him dating Brandy, then that is A-OK.

I'm not sure "hatred" is accurate, but there is little doubt that Richardson wore out his welcome in Phoenix. I say that even though the need to trade for a big man would have made the trade necessary even if they really loved Q.

I do differ on a couple of points. "Quentin only did want D'Antoni advised him to do...that is shoot the wide open 3." Actually he shot almost every time he got the ball, whether open or not. What was more damning was that he was not much help on defense except for taking a few charges.

I'm not convinced that D'Antoni told him to jack it up every time he gets thte ball. But in any case, a guy who hits only 38.9% from the field is awfully easy to replace.

NugzFan

Registered
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
as you should be. I think we can all agree that the move was a no-brainer for the Nuggets. 2nd round picks are a dime a dozen and the Nuggets NEEDED to make a deal for shooters. When you're faced with NEED, risks are usually what are taken. This is basically a boom or nothing trade. It can't be a bust because you guys gave up nothing. It'll be interesting to see if you guys can recapture that magic you had in the 2nd half of two seasons ago. Melo is a beast and he deserves to have a better team around him for the NBA's sake.

That being said, I still hope you guys suck! :)

i hope we dont. :)