Jarhead

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
I read the book. Swofford is just a pansy-ass whiner. He didn't do ANYTHING noteworthy during his enlistment or the war. All he does is complain. The book (and the movie) is just one man's take on life in the Marines and what his Desert Storm experience was like.

His take on it BTW ****spoiler**** is more about how boring it was for him.

I for one, REFUSE to give Swofford one penny of my money. I wish he could refund my money that I spent on the book.

I actually enjoyed the book. Yea he whined and it was his view. Nothing wrong with how he percieved what he did. I give him credit for not sensationalizing anything that he did or making himself seem like a hero.

MikeOnTheMic

Veteran
Reaction score
Everyone keeps talking about the soundtrack. All I've heard from the commercials was Kanye West's 'Jesus Walks'. Who/what else is supposed to be on it??

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
I read the book. Swofford is just a pansy-ass whiner. He didn't do ANYTHING noteworthy during his enlistment or the war. All he does is complain. The book (and the movie) is just one man's take on life in the Marines and what his Desert Storm experience was like.

His take on it BTW ****spoiler**** is more about how boring it was for him.

I for one, REFUSE to give Swofford one penny of my money. I wish he could refund my money that I spent on the book.

I figured this film would bring you out of hiding :D

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
The Corps has a lot of nick names

USMC = Uncle Sams Misguide Children
USMC = yUo See More Confussion
'The Suck' (one I never really used)

Not a nick name so much but it was fun to say when someone pissed you off and you couldn't do anything about it "eat the apple, F' the Corps".

I used that one a few times!! :biglaugh:

The Marine Corps did figure out how to piss your life away for sure. When you are an enlisted E3 and below you will do some pretty stupid crap. Clean your rifle for 8 hours strait, field days (basically cleaning all day long... when you got done cleaning the barracks you went outside to clean the dirt!!), and any thing the platoon Sgt or the Co. First Sgt. could find.

To be honest my best times were out in the field training to do what our military is good at "Kickin ass and taking names".

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
If you want to read a good book that is along the same lines as Jarhead, try "The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell." It does not paint a rosy picture of the war in Iraq, so if negative depiction of the war offends you, then the book is not your cup of tea.

Like Jarhead, the whines quite a bit. Still, I enjoyed it more than Jarhead. It is a gritty story of one soldiers view of the war. Also, it is really short. I think I read it on a Sunday afternoon.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jarhead

MPAA Rating: R (for pervasive language, some violent images and strong sexual content)

"Nuff said.

We walked out.

At least we didn't pay for it. :D

Great actors shouldn't have to cuss every sentence and/or talk about f'n this and f'n that, etc. :|

Oh, well - that being said, many of you here will undoubtedly like it.

BIM

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
"Nuff said.

We walked out.

Great actors shouldn't have to cuss every sentence and/or talk about f'n this and f'n that, etc. :|

BIM

I'm shocked, marines are usually known for being so mild mannered.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
"Nuff said.

We walked out.

BIM

Wait... BIM.. you didn't pay for it?

Did you do this by illegal means or by movie passes?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Wait... BIM.. you didn't pay for it?

Did you do this by illegal means or by movie passes?

Advance screening passes. :thumbup:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Advance screening passes. :thumbup:

Damn!

foiled again!

:jumpsintherabbitholelikedjaughe:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
"Nuff said.

We walked out.

BIM

How come you hate cussing?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
How come you hate cussing?

Personally, I feel it is a lazy and ignorant form of communication. I'll put up with some in a movie, but every other word gets old. I just feel it is not necessary.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Personally, I feel it is a lazy and ignorant form of communication. I'll put up with some in a movie, but every other word gets old. I just feel it is not necessary.

You must not have been in the military, BIM. When I came home, my father, who cusses up a storm, had to take me aside and ask me to lay off the swearing. Swearing is like everyday lingo.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:

....I grew up around the military and that is the way it is. I agree that gratuitous language in some films is ridiculous, but don't you think since this is a some-what biographical account of what this person experienced that it was necessary? The language adds realism IMO....

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
You must not have been in the military, BIM. Swearing is like everyday lingo.

My dad served in 'Nam. He doesn't swear. :shrug:

But, then again, he got a college degree just before he got drafted.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
....I grew up around the military and that is the way it is. I agree that gratuitous language in some films is ridiculous, but don't you think since this is a some-what biographical account of what this person experienced that it was necessary? The language adds realism IMO....

I understand all of that, but I've seen tons of military movies that dealt with similar issues and had less swearing and sexual overtones. It just seemed to be a neverending stream of cuss words and sexual references. It just got old.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MikeOnTheMic said:
I have a college degree, and I swear. :shrug:

I have one and I don't. :shrug:

I swore some when I was younger, but quickly outgrew it. Everyone at my Catholic grade school seemed to think swearing was cool, and most of my mom's side of the family is looser with their language than my dad's side.

I wasn't ripping on anyone with my previous comments, just pointing out that my dad was likely more educated than most of the men protrayed in this movie. Most of these were kids who were just out of high school and didn't have a plan for their life and turned to the Corps. My dad graduated from ASU and wanted to start his career when he got drafted about a week later.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MikeOnTheMic said:
It's cool, the movie wasn't up your alley...I respect that.

I'll wait to see it again when it's on tv. Bleep bleep bleeping bleep. Although with editing it'll end up as a 1/2 hour version of the theatrical release. :D :cool:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
My dad served in 'Nam. He doesn't swear. :shrug:

But, then again, he got a college degree just before he got drafted.

Ah, swearing = stupid people. Right, gotcha. Because neither I nor any others I served with ever achieved a college degree, eh? Or a post-graduate degree? Hogwash.

I know you disavowed any insulting meaning behind this post, but give me a break. Your father, a man with a 'college degree', surely would have told you how rampant swearing is in the military. Because he did not partake in it does not make it any less so.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got an effin MBA. :)

And yeah, in the barracks and in the field, I learned more curse words than my ample vulgar book of vocabulary already had. I haven't learned any more since, until I started watching Rome on HBO. Sons of Dis!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake