Jason "Jay" Williams blog

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Next Stop: Training Camp
Hello again everyone. Sorry that my blog responsibilities have recently taken a back seat to my comeback efforts. As you know, I've been basically living at Hoops gym in Chicago working out every day with Tim Grover. Yesterday was a big step for me. Media was invited to watch me work out and see what I can do. I'm at such a great place health wise that I don't anything to hide. They watched me do various drills --- shooting, dribbling, running, cutting -- basically what I have been doing every day for the last few months.
Come October, I'll be ready for an NBA training camp. Apparently, there are about 6-8 teams that have inquired about me according to my agents, Kevin Bradbury and Bill Duffy. But I've specifically asked them not to tell who they are because I just want to stay on the straight path and not worry about anything else. I want to keep my concern on the court and on my physical condition.
By the end of this month, which is right around the corner, I'll be working out for some of those teams. So I'll find out soon enough. A lot of people ask me, especially here in Chicago, if I would like to rejoin the Bulls. Of course. I would love to play in Chicago. Since I was 11, watching the great Bulls teams featuring Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, it's been a dream of mine to play here and I was fortunate to do so my rookie season. But right now, the Bulls are pretty deep in the backcourt with Ben Gordon, Chris Duhon and Kirk Hinrich. I don't know if there is a fit for me or not. It would be great if there was but we'll have to wait and see.
Even though I'm ready, the challenge when I step foot on the court is really from a mental standpoint and that is to not think about my left leg, which means not playing cautious. Once you've been injured for so long, you go out into the game thinking, 'OK, I have to be careful, I don't want to do this or that.' The only way to beat it is by playing with a reckless attitude where you have to forget about the injury and just go out there and play your game and not be afraid of getting hurt again.

From NBA.com

Think the Suns might be one of those teams?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i'd love for that to be the case, but i think no. seems the suns never do anything i want them to do (other than draft michael finley and trade for charles barkley), so i'm guessing no way that happens.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Interesting, isn't Duffy Nash's current and Amare's former agent as well?

I'd be more than willing to throw the LLE at him but I'm sure there's a team out there that'll throw a portion of their MLE on him.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Suns_fan69 said:
I'd be more than willing to throw the LLE at him but I'm sure there's a team out there that'll throw a portion of their MLE on him.

For a guy coming back from a near career ending injury? Really? I mean I know there's some stupid GMs out there, but ....

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
carey said:
For a guy coming back from a near career ending injury? Really? I mean I know there's some stupid GMs out there, but ....

There's your answer...

He's gonna be a Hawk! :D

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's hard to say. Obviously the Suns remain in limbo until the JJ thing plays out, but if the trade goes through the Suns would be an attractive venue for someone trying to make a name for himself. There are going to be some PG minutes up for grabs.

Can Williams play? The fact that he didn't play any summer league ball makes me wonder. But after watching Camby and McDyess come back from apparently career ending injuries, I would not dismiss the idea that he might succeed.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Jay Williams never impressed me, even at 100%. I'd rather have Chris Duhon.

Speaking of which, I saw a rumor that the Raptors gave Duhon an decent-sized offer sheet. There's still a chance that Jay winds up back in Chicago after all...