Jazz @ Suns Monday game thread 1-24-2022

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the teams big weakness last year was they would forget to drive to the basket. Couldn't get to the free throw line. It seems that still rears its ugly head from time to time on this team. However, with JM and Biyombo that should improve a little down the stretch.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m loving the winning, but we’re starting to play CP3 too many minutes. If Shamet actually started hitting, the second unit wouldn’t need Paul to rescue them as much as he has since Payne hurt his wrist.

Cant burn CP3 out. If he was healthy in the finals last year we win in 5. If he’s healthy this year, we make up for last year and win this freaking thing!

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m loving the winning, but we’re starting to play CP3 too many minutes. If Shamet actually started hitting, the second unit wouldn’t need Paul to rescue them as much as he has since Payne hurt his wrist.

Cant burn CP3 out. If he was healthy in the finals last year we win in 5. If he’s healthy this year, we make up for last year and win this freaking thing!
I think the big minutes were because Payne was out. But I agree. We need to cut back Paul's minutes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the big minutes were because Payne was out. But I agree. We need to cut back Paul's minutes.
They’re definitely because Payne is out, but if Shamet could hit the broad side of a barn, leads wouldn’t shrink so fast that Monty feels like he has to get CP3 back in to stop the bleeding.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
At some point we should really reign Cp3 into about 20-25 min a game or even less until the playoffs.
The problem is who would you give his mins to? Payton? Shamet? Payne? Gulp...Point Book?
We don't have a player that can do what CP3 does in the late 3rd and 4th quarters. To be fair not many teams do.

Unless we get a trade or sign a competent PG Payton is what we have. I'm not now nor will ever be comfortable with that.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed. Especially since the Suns don’t seem to get their stars off nights

With everyone that we have out if the game starts to go south tonight just pull the plug and not worry about the final score but get CP three rest

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At some point we should really reign Cp3 into about 20-25 min a game or even less until the playoffs.
The problem is who would you give his mins to? Payton? Shamet? Payne? Gulp...Point Book?
We don't have a player that can do what CP3 does in the late 3rd and 4th quarters. To be fair not many teams do.

Unless we get a trade or sign a competent PG Payton is what we have. I'm not now nor will ever be comfortable with that.
Trade for Schroeder. And I don't care if he is unhappy being third string. He can play out this year and the playoffs and then go somewhere else in the off-season. I just want some time off for CP3 right now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trade for Schroeder. And I don't care if he is unhappy being third string. He can play out this year and the playoffs and then go somewhere else in the off-season. I just want some time off for CP3 right now.
Yeah, I don't even think he'll be all that unhappy. It's for less than half a season and he'll have a good chance of attracting suitors should he play well during our hopefully long playoff run. Plus he'll be backing up two PGs with a history of injuries, one of whom needs some time off even if he doesn't want it. Plus, once Cam returns he can play next to Payne to help keep Devin's minutes down too since he's expending so much more energy now on the defensive end.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't even think he'll be all that unhappy. It's for less than half a season and he'll have a good chance of attracting suitors should he play well during our hopefully long playoff run. Plus he'll be backing up two PGs with a history of injuries, one of whom needs some time off even if he doesn't want it. Plus, once Cam returns he can play next to Payne to help keep Devin's minutes down too since he's expending so much more energy now on the defensive end.

I've always liked Schroder as a player. If the Suns thought he would fit with team chemistry, I'd be interested.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It blows my mind how any one of you could’ve watched that series last year and come away thinking you would want to any part of Schroeder.

He was awful and he gave up.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It blows my mind how any one of you could’ve watched that series last year and come away thinking you would want to any part of Schroeder.

So if you only have two choices, Payton or Schroder, who do you choose? :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I never had much use for Dennis although I thought his game had changed some with his year in OKC and the first part of his season in LA until things crashed there. Yeah, if I were looking for a starting PG, his name wouldn't be on my target list. But as a 3rd string PG, as a weapon off the bench, as a player that can force defenses to react to his quickness, I'd love to add him for a partial season if the price is right.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payton, at least he isn’t toxic.
Payton. But I don't have just two choices.

It's not that I love Schroeder all that much. I saw what you saw last year too. But Schroeder as a 3rd string pg and Schroeder as a starter are two totally different things. Also, his contract makes a deal easy to get done. There are other pg's that would be better, but it would be tremendously disruptive to make a deal for them.

A simple Stix for Schroeder works.

Last edited: