Jeff Blake an Eagle

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
PHILADELPHIA - Quarterback Jeff Blake signed a one-year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles on Friday.

Blake, who was released by Arizona in February, gives the Eagles insurance should starter Donovan McNabb or backup Koy Detmer get injured. He replaces A.J. Feeley, who was traded to Miami for a second-round pick in next year's draft.

"We're looking forward to bringing in Jeff for his experience and his quarterbacking ability he has displayed over the last 12 years," coach Andy Reid said.

In his only season with the Cardinals, Blake completed 208 of 367 passes for 2,247 yards, 13 TDs and 15 interceptions - the first time in his career he had more interceptions than touchdowns.

Blake spent 1992-93 with the New York Jets and also played for Cincinnati (1994-99), New Orleans (2000-01) and Baltimore (2002).

A sixth-round pick from East Carolina by the Jets in 1992, Blake, 33, has started 100 NFL games, throwing for 21,530 yards and 132 TDs. His most productive season came with Cincinnati in 1995, when he threw for 3,822 yards and 28 TDs and earned a berth in the Pro Bowl.

The Eagles drafted Delaware's Andy Hall in the sixth round of last month's draft, hoping he could develop into the No. 3 quarterback. The decision to sign Blake comes at the end of a three-day rookie camp for Philadelphia.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oran said:
Welcome to the bench Blake!

Interesting. McNabb gets hurt a fair amount because he runs so much, probably not a bad move by Jeff.

I wish him luck.

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Interesting. McNabb gets hurt a fair amount because he runs so much, probably not a bad move by Jeff.

I wish him luck.

I wish him pain and misery! :mad: All talk, no walk! Blah!!!!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oran said:
I wish him pain and misery! :mad: All talk, no walk! Blah!!!!!

He was a disappointment, but he doesn't deserve that much grief.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

I wish him luck.

Jeff will be the #3 QB there and Koy Detmer is and will be the #2. Jeff will never see the field ever again.

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Jeff will be the #3 QB there and Koy Detmer is and will be the #2. Jeff will never see the field ever again.

Exactly. They have four QBs, so he might not even make the team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

Feeley played more than Detmer 2 years ago, didn't play at all last year.

It's all timing, Feeley threw more balls in 2002 than Detmer has thrown the last 5 seasons combined.

Raiders played their #3 QB a lot last year, Denver did etc.

I don't know who their #3 is now or if they're high on him but I'd be surprised if Blake doesn't make the team, unless he has a conflict.

It is interesting, with all the racial innuendo that went on when McNabb was unsigned as a rookie, they have had more black QB's than any team in the NFL. McNabb, McPherson, Blake, at least one more.

I have to wonder if Owens played a part, I remember him saying last year something about he liked Blake.

I kind of figured it had gone this long he might have a hard time getting another job so I wish him luck except when he plays us.

SwingOnThis

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
they have had more black QB's than any team in the NFL. McNabb, McPherson, Blake, at least one more.

That one you can't remember was Randall Cunningham.

Also Rodney Peete started for them for a couple of seasons in the mid 90s.

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
If Mac was looking for a QB with a great arm, bad attitude, and experience, he should have signed Jeff George. Blake was a HUGE disappointment. At least with George you know what you're getting.

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

Lol. Remember A.J. Feeley?

Never say "never" in the NFL.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Oran said:
PHILADELPHIA - Quarterback Jeff Blake signed a one-year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles on Friday...

The Eagles drafted Delaware's Andy Hall in the sixth round of last month's draft, hoping he could develop into the No. 3 quarterback. The decision to sign Blake comes at the end of a three-day rookie camp for Philadelphia.

Guess Hall was really impressive in rookie camp, huh? :rolleyes:

Good fit for Jeff Blake. His mobility and arm strength are actually more similar to McNabb's than Koy Detmer's are. I wouldn't be surprised to see him displace Detmer as the Eagles' #2 somewhere down the line, particularly if he's less expensive.

And snide remarks to the contrary, Blake still has something left. After all, someone was throwing all those passes that Anquan Boldin caught, right?

WC

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It strikes me that to my knowledge Jeff has never played in a WCO, now he has to learn that too. Odd, there was rumblings that Denver was looking at him, people on the bronco board discussed that rumor and seemed to have an interest. Must not have been true since he'd have surely chosen backing up Jake to being #3 in Philly?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
It strikes me that to my knowledge Jeff has never played in a WCO, now he has to learn that too. Odd, there was rumblings that Denver was looking at him, people on the bronco board discussed that rumor and seemed to have an interest. Must not have been true since he'd have surely chosen backing up Jake to being #3 in Philly?

I doubt the Denver Rumor was true. They already have 6 QB's on their roster right now, including 2 rookies they drafted in the 7th round Matt Mauck and Bradlee Van pelt.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BLAKE FINDS YET ANOTHER NEW HOME

Make it six NFL teams for veteran quarterback Jeff Blake.

Blake, who has been with the Jets, the Bengals, the Saints, the Ravens, and the Cardinals, has agreed to a one-year deal with the Eagles.

"Think about it," Blake said Friday, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. "The Eagles have been to three NFC championship games three years in a row. I played for the Cincinnati Bengals, the New Orleans Saints and the Arizona Cardinals. I've only been involved in the playoffs one time.

"The Eagles have been a Super Bowl contender the last three years. You're talking about a team that has been one game away three years in a row, and I'm coming from Arizona."

As noted by the Inquirer, the expansion of the practice squad from five to eight players this year affords teams like the Eagles the luxury of using a veteran as the No. 3 quarterback, with the No. 4 guy available via the practice squad. Also, with Donovan McNabb signed into the next decade and Koy Detmer entrenched as the No. 2 guy, there's no need for the team to focus on getting a young guy ready to take over either of the top spots on the depth chart.

Then again, Blake says he's under the impression that he'll be competing with Detmer for the No. 2 job, according to the Philadelphia Daily News.

"I'm capable of being a backup and a good one," Blake said.

The contract is thought to be in the vicinity of the minimum value of $760,000, which means that the deal will cost only $450,000 in cap dollars and in real dollars.

Finally, we couldn't help but notice a bit of revisionist history regarding that one year in which Blake's team qualified for the postseason.

"I've only played on one team that made the playoffs -- the Saints in 2000 -- and I got hurt and couldn't play in the playoff game, Aaron Brooks played."

To the untrained eye, this statement creates the impression that Blake led the team to the playoffs, strained a groin the week before the playoff game, and that Aaron Brooks was pressed into service. Blake's suggestion that there was only one playoff game connotes that his backup blew it, and Blake's statement arguably implies that, if he'd been available, the team likely would have gone farther.

Unless the 2001 NFL Record & Fact Book was written in part by Jayson Blair, the truth is that Blake went down with a season-ending broken foot in the first quarter of the Saints' eleventh game. Aaron Brooks came in and came on over the final four-plus contests, leading the Saints to the first playoff win in the history of the franchise, against the defending Super Bowl champion Rams, before falling to the Vikings in the divisional round.

Of course, we can understand why Blake would slant the facts regarding his tenure in the Bayou. After all, when he was healthy in 2001, he lost the starting gig in a straight-up duel with Brooks. Since then, Brooks has been the No. 1 guy in New Orleans -- and Blake has bounced to a different squad every year.

Gee, I am so happy for him. What a wonderful man ..NOT!!!!!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Blake's been an ass his entire career.I can't wait for him and TO to hook up.They'll probably ruin that locker room by week 3.I predict the Eagles miss the playoffs. They have a vastly overrated QB,lost their starting CB's, lost the only player with heart in Staley,and are in a tough division.THey'll be lucky to be .500.

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
BLAKE FINDS YET ANOTHER NEW HOME

Finally, we couldn't help but notice a bit of revisionist history regarding that one year in which Blake's team qualified for the postseason.

"I've only played on one team that made the playoffs -- the Saints in 2000 -- and I got hurt and couldn't play in the playoff game, Aaron Brooks played."

To the untrained eye, this statement creates the impression that Blake led the team to the playoffs, strained a groin the week before the playoff game, and that Aaron Brooks was pressed into service. Blake's suggestion that there was only one playoff game connotes that his backup blew it, and Blake's statement arguably implies that, if he'd been available, the team likely would have gone farther.

Unless the 2001 NFL Record & Fact Book was written in part by Jayson Blair, the truth is that Blake went down with a season-ending broken foot in the first quarter of the Saints' eleventh game. Aaron Brooks came in and came on over the final four-plus contests, leading the Saints to the first playoff win in the history of the franchise, against the defending Super Bowl champion Rams, before falling to the Vikings in the divisional round.

Of course, we can understand why Blake would slant the facts regarding his tenure in the Bayou. After all, when he was healthy in 2001, he lost the starting gig in a straight-up duel with Brooks. Since then, Brooks has been the No. 1 guy in New Orleans -- and Blake has bounced to a different squad every year.

Gee, I am so happy for him. What a wonderful man ..NOT!!!!!

Blake is spinning because he has to sell himself. In most professional sports players do that.

But you are also spinning because you don't like Blake. If not, you would have metioned that his 7-3 start with the Saints really turned around that team--the year they made it to the playoof.

And Brooks was benched in the closing minutes of the final game of the 2001 season for an obviously injured Blake.

Sure Blake does talk a lot and has issues, but he has to sell himself in the NFL because he is not exactly a proto type NFL QB. But the dude does get work based on his on-field abilities and how well he can sell himself to teams.

Don't hate. Leon has to feed his family, too. :shrug:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
They have a vastly overrated QB,\.

Id give my right you know what to have that "vastly overrated QB on our team. We could even break his leg and have him beat teams with 1 broken leg!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05