Jimmer = Adam Morrison + JJ Redick

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He has the same mental makeup of MJ and Joe Montana. If we pass on him at #13 if he is there, we are fools. If they take Shumpert instead of Fredette it will go down in history with the same infamy of the Rick Robey trade. IMO Jimmer should be the 3rd or 4th player taken in this draft.
If he could guard someone he'd likely be drafted that high.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If he could guard someone he'd likely be drafted that high.

He will never be a lock down defender...

But we don't know he will be atrocious like so many "know" he will...

What we do KNOW, is he can score...

I think at the very least he can play Steve Nash Defense.. that is he will for the most part sttay in front of his guy and put a hand in his face...

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He will never be a lock down defender...

But we don't know he will be atrocious like so many "know" he will...

What we do KNOW, is he can score...

I think at the very least he can play Steve Nash Defense.. that is he will for the most part sttay in front of his guy and put a hand in his face...
When a kid cant guard other college players he's got very little chance of guarding NBA players.

If he turned out to be just a servicable defender that'd be ok....but Nash-level-defense is zero defense....and i've seen enough of that at the guard position.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as all 3 of them being white, which is what Im talking about, Im dead on.. haha.. Im not Im not comparing individual skill sets.. Im saying they all were the next great white hype, and all three will have failed by the time its all said and done..

Who cares that they are white? :shrug:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When a kid cant guard other college players he's got very little chance of guarding NBA players.

If he turned out to be just a servicable defender that'd be ok....but Nash-level-defense is zero defense....and i've seen enough of that at the guard position.

This is usually the case but I'm not sure it applies here. BYU had Fredette and an inside player and that was it. They had virtually no other scoring option so the coach (so the stories go) instructed him to cruise on defense. His job was to worry about offense only. I'm sure if he had it in him to be a great defender his coach would have set things up a bit differently but by coach's decision, we simply do not know whether Jimmer can be an adequate defender.

We all know what's working against him but in his favor is the fact that he is very quick, has excellent footwork and is a high motor guy. If he wants to defend there doesn't seem to be any reason he couldn't at least rise to the slightly below average level. For an extraordinary offensive weapon, slightly below average is acceptable. I know everyone here wants us to focus on defense but it's hard to ignore a player that might have that special something on offense. I would hate to see us pay a premium to get this guy but I have no problem if they decide he's the best on the board at 13.

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is usually the case but I'm not sure it applies here. BYU had Fredette and an inside player and that was it. They had virtually no other scoring option so the coach (so the stories go) instructed him to cruise on defense. His job was to worry about offense only. I'm sure if he had it in him to be a great defender his coach would have set things up a bit differently but by coach's decision, we simply do not know whether Jimmer can be an adequate defender.

We all know what's working against him but in his favor is the fact that he is very quick, has excellent footwork and is a high motor guy. If he wants to defend there doesn't seem to be any reason he couldn't at least rise to the slightly below average level. For an extraordinary offensive weapon, slightly below average is acceptable. I know everyone here wants us to focus on defense but it's hard to ignore a player that might have that special something on offense. I would hate to see us pay a premium to get this guy but I have no problem if they decide he's the best on the board at 13.

Steve
That may be the case, but of all the NBA teams in the league i doubt that coming to the Phoenix Suns will suddenly bring out a young players hidden defensive abilities. :)

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
their linked together solely because they're white... by the guy who consistently accuses other of being racists.

Interesting.. So someone else is linking besides me? At first I thought this was about me but I don't run around accusing people of being racist. So who else is linking them?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All white folks salivating over him... I see it everywhere...

So, basically you're saying that the kid can't play and the only reason anybody likes him is because he is white. And the only people salivating over him are white people and they are doing it solely because he is also white. Makes sense to me. Good thing you don't run around accusing people of being racist.:)

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ummm Don't you know how these things work? You have to compare white players to other white players.

So Jimmer is a short Kevin Mchale?:) Seriously, I think it makes sense to compare white players to other white players (in general). However, some of the people that are focusing on his color are willing to dismiss this kid solely because of it and yet others are praising on his behalf for the very same reason. I'm pretty sure there's a third group of people also, those that have actually watched him play throughout his career but they seem to get ignored for the most part.

Steve

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All white folks salivating over him... I see it everywhere...

And some people see "Dead People"......everywhere.

That's it....you are all crazy dead seeing people too.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.. So someone else is linking besides me? At first I thought this was about me but I don't run around accusing people of being racist.

good one gee!

I don't see the Aaron Brooks comparison at all... Brooks has lightning quickness that Jimmer doesn't. He's more Ben Gordon part 2... in other words, a man without a position who gets paid a ton of money and makes pretty much zero impact on the floor unless he's with the perfect team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has the same mental makeup of MJ and Joe Montana.

holy hyperbole... what? really?! if he had the same mental makeup of MJ he'd play just as hard on defense as he did on offense. he didn't. most times it looked like he wasn't even trying.

the statement above is ludicrous IMO.

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, basically you're saying that the kid can't play and the only reason anybody likes him is because he is white. And the only people salivating over him are white people and they are doing it solely because he is also white. Makes sense to me. Good thing you don't run around accusing people of being racist.:)

Steve

No.. Obviously Dirk is good.. I thought Jason Williams was good.. The point Im trying to make here is that everytime a white guy comes in with a good college resume, he's the next great whiye hype.. Tyler Hansbrogh etc etc.. And white people seem to latch on because he is white disregarding the guys actual skill to play in the NBA.. It happens on the Cards forum too.. Kevin Kasper, Lance Long etc etc.. Could I be completely wrong about Jimmer? Sure.. But I dont think I will be.. Im just tired of hearing about Jimmer from people telling me he is the greatest shooter ever and all this other mess.. He might be a great shooter in college, but will he be able to get his shot off in the NBA? Is that all he has going for him is his shot? It seems like it at this point.. And he's being set up for a colossal failure...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No.. Obviously Dirk is good.. I thought Jason Williams was good.. The point Im trying to make here is that everytime a white guy comes in with a good college resume, he's the next great whiye hype.. Tyler Hansbrogh etc etc.. And white people seem to latch on because he is white disregarding the guys actual skill to play in the NBA.. It happens on the Cards forum too.. Kevin Kasper, Lance Long etc etc.. Could I be completely wrong about Jimmer? Sure.. But I dont think I will be.. Im just tired of hearing about Jimmer from people telling me he is the greatest shooter ever and all this other mess.. He might be a great shooter in college, but will he be able to get his shot off in the NBA? Is that all he has going for him is his shot? It seems like it at this point.. And he's being set up for a colossal failure...

I think it's always a bit risky to project certain types of players from college to the pros. Jimmer falls into that group. I really don't know how well he'll do at the NBA level but I'm confident he WILL be able to get his shot off. I don't know about him being the greatest shooter ever but I'd have to say he's one of the most unique shooters I've ever seen. For a guy that size to have the range that he does is pretty much unheard of. He's very adept at using his quickness, his athleticism and his strength to get his shot off. And while there's a lot more to playing in the NBA than just shooting, let's face it, there is almost always a place for a marksman than can get his own shot.

As for the white thing, it isn't just whites that do this. Watch how much closer black people pay attention to golf or tennis when a star like Tiger or when a Venus and Serena come on the scene. Put a Polish player into the NBA and watch how much closer anyone with ties to Poland follows the game. Put a Jewish man into the NFL etc, etc, etc. Although this is sometimes racial in nature, it's not necessarily the result of racism (not saying your making this point) - it's pretty much human nature.

Steve

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the white thing, it isn't just whites that do this. Watch how much closer black people pay attention to golf or tennis when a star like Tiger or when a Venus and Serena come on the scene. Put a Polish player into the NBA and watch how much closer anyone with ties to Poland follows the game. Put a Jewish man into the NFL etc, etc, etc. Although this is sometimes racial in nature, it's not necessarily the result of racism (not saying your making this point) - it's pretty much human nature.

Steve

I know some people are drawn to people that are of likeness to themselves.. I get it.. And like you said this isnt anything about racism.. The difference with golf, as an example, is that Tiger Woods is actually good/great.. Alot of these people annointing Jimmer the next greatest thing are doing it solely on hopes at this point.. Not his NBA play..

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know some people are drawn to people that are of likeness to themselves.. I get it.. And like you said this isnt anything about racism.. The difference with golf, as an example, is that Tiger Woods is actually good/great.. Alot of these people annointing Jimmer the next greatest thing are doing it solely on hopes at this point.. Not his NBA play..

In contrast how many black people write off Jimmer as the next great white hype and pay more attention to the black players and call them the next "<insert great player here>??? We have someone on this very board that has called just about every black player in this draft the next someone.

Seriously......I just think this thread went back in time about 40 years.

Who the hell left the DeLorean running????

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought white people hated Redick, Morrison and Hansbrough.

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In contrast how many black people write off Jimmer as the next great white hype and pay more attention to the black players and call them the next "<insert great player here>??? We have someone on this very board that has called just about every black player in this draft the next someone.

Seriously......I just think this thread went back in time about 40 years.

Who the hell left the DeLorean running????

You must be registered for see images attach

What a reach..

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake