JJ Versus Manu

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How well would the Spurs have done if Manu had not played the first two games? My guess is the Suns would have won at least one if not both games. Yet JJ is more important to the Suns than Manu is to the Spurs.

Here are the season stats:

Manu Ginobili
San Antonio Spurs
Position: G
Height: 6-6 Weight: 205
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 16.0
RPG 4.4
APG 3.9
SPG 1.61
BPG .36
FG% .471
FT% .803
3P% .376
MPG 29.6

Joe Johnson
Phoenix Suns
Position: G-F
Height: 6-7 Weight: 230
College : Arkansas '01
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 17.1
RPG 5.1
APG 3.5
SPG .96
BPG .29
FG% .461
FT% .750
3P% .478
MPG 39.5

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
the thing that strikes me is that ginobili comes close to matching jj, but plays 10 minutes less a game. he is the man, no doubt. as a homer, if the trade was offered, i would most surely reject it, as i'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot, they would reject as well.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yet JJ is more important to the Suns than Manu is to the Spurs.

I don't agree with that at all. Ginobili is at least the Spurs' second most important player, and sometimes I think he's even more valuable than Duncan. Watching the games, I always breathe much easier when he's on the bench, whereas when Duncan sits for a few minutes, the Spurs often don't miss a beat.

SASpursfan

Veteran
Reaction score
Heres some other info you left out...

Manu has a European gold medal, an NBA champions medal, an Olympic gold medal and MVP Olympic golds medal. All in the last few years.

And Manu plays with passion that maybe only Iverson compares with.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
SASpursfan said:
Heres some other info you left out...

Manu has a European gold medal, an NBA champions medal, an Olympic gold medal and MVP Olympic golds medal. All in the last few years.

And Manu plays with passion that maybe only Iverson compares with.

dude, are you here to rub it in our face that your team has outplayed ours for the most part this year? if so, point taken, and now its time for you to leave.

manu is a winner, we get it. i don't need 7 gold medals in my face to know it, and the fact that you bring it up only makes YOU look like a jackass with an inferiority complex.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Manu has been a starter since he was 15 or something for one of the best european clubs. His experience of performing under pressure is invaluable. Joe is physically a bit more talented maybe but never really be a first or even second option on a championship team. I'd sign and trade JoeJ to get Manu in an heartbeat.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Manu's game is losing respect from at least ME, flopping annoys ME as much as officiating does, or defenses that foul on every possession... ESPN Mag comes out with: What's not to love about Manu and the Spurs?

Flopping?

I have nothing against the Spurs, they are a great team, regardless if JJ wasn't injured and the Suns won series... but Manu - that is 1 area of International Ball that I don't want to see, at all. I can barely watch Team USA - flopping and the officiating (I thought the NBA refs were bad) ;) I could care less, if the USA loses but that is just horrible to watch and I probaly wouldn't if there weren't International prospects to watch...

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
playstation said:
dude, are you here to rub it in our face that your team has outplayed ours for the most part this year? if so, point taken, and now its time for you to leave.

manu is a winner, we get it. i don't need 7 gold medals in my face to know it, and the fact that you bring it up only makes YOU look like a jackass with an inferiority complex.

Disagree with you playstation, and you are over reacting. SASpursFans comments have not been bad - or even totally off base. I enjoy hearing perspectives from the other side, and people need to chill out when someone doesn't look through phoenix suns glasses.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
There is no doubt Johnson has physical tools and is a great all-around player.

However, the questions with Johnson have always been what is going on between his ears. Does he have that killer instinct, that competitive fire to be the best?

Those questions have been answered about Ginobili without a doubt.

Johnson is just getting his first chance to prove himself.

And playstation, Lighten up Francis. :D

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
I love JJ, it's been great watching him develop into the player he is today. That being said, Ginobli is the superior player at this point in time IMO. (And I hate the euro/foreigner style of play more than anything) The guy is flat out amazing. I have no doubts that were he not on a talent laiden team like the Spurs he could put up 30ppg easily. I think Joe is the better shooter and as others have said is more physically impressive than Ginobli, however if the deal were on the table I'd make the trade in a heartbeat. Nothing at all against Joe but Ginobli just has "it" whatever that means. Now let's go out and shut his azz down! :D

Ok, how about this one, your the GM, right now, today, which foreign player would you rahter have, Nowitzki or Ginobli? I'd still take Manu.

PHX2

Fashion Police
Reaction score
^^me too. After watching Monday nights game I realized for the first time what an all around game Manu has...he'll do whatever you want him to do

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Disagree with you playstation, and you are over reacting. SASpursFans comments have not been bad - or even totally off base. I enjoy hearing perspectives from the other side, and people need to chill out when someone doesn't look through phoenix suns glasses.

my bad

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
playstation said:

dude, you sound like a crybaby.

edit: i take it back, you owned up. that's big of you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake