JJ wants to go to Atlanta

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
According to Gambo and Ash, earlier today JJ, through his agent, has indicated that he will sign an offer sheet with Atlanta and that Atlanta is his preferred destination.

Developing. . .

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Wow.

Well, if he's that greedy, then fine.

How does that make him any more greedy than if the Phoenix Suns matched the offer or gave him something very near to it?

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
How does that make him any more greedy than if the Phoenix Suns matched the offer or gave him something very near to it?

Joe Mama

Read your favorite ESPN boards for more info.

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
"Atlanta is his preferred destination"

Thats the most annoying thing about this, he wants more money then fine, but saying this? very weird.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Wow.

Well, if he's that greedy, then fine.
I guess you'd rather not have Nash seeing in that he went to the highest bidder last season. :confused:

If the Suns match, JJ's a Sun. Period.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If he wants to go to Atlanta, tell him to take his max contract and F off.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I guess you'd rather not have Nash seeing in that he went to the highest bidder last season. :confused:

If the Suns match, JJ's a Sun. Period.

But if he's unhappy, I don't know if the aggravation is worth it. Hopefully, Gambo is full of &*$%, which, as we all know, is perfectly possible.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
But if he's unhappy, I don't know if the aggravation is worth it. Hopefully, Gambo is full of &*$%, which, as we all know, is perfectly possible.
If he would honestly rather play in Atlanta, I say let him go. Right now the Suns should b flying Amare, Nash, etc. to wherever Joe is to put the press on to get him to stay here.

But it wouldn't surprise me if JJ felt unappreciated by the Suns. I could see how he would think the Suns have lowballed him in consecutive offseasons.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Read your favorite ESPN boards for more info.

what's the deal? Is there a reason you can't just tell me what's going on here? And what's with this "your favorite ESPN boards" stuff?

Joe

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Well this sucks if true.

I would love to hear his reasons and from JJ himself.

Wait a minute, I don't listen to Gambo and Ash on purpose.

I just remembered why.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are saying that he likes playing with Nash, but considers Amare and Shawn selfish.

That's really silly. Shawn doesn't even get plays called for him. Amare ought to be selfish, if he gets the ball down low, its all over. No one else will have a higher percentage shot than he does.

I wonder how close JJ and Q were. The Suns trading of Q could have something to do with it.

What I really think is that Arn Tellem is playing hardball in his negotiating. Its one thing to get everything you can for your player, its another to destroy team chemistry in the process.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Methinks JJ could have the McDyess mentality, talented player who has the wrong people in his ears, advising him poorly. In fact, this seems to be a very similar situation. JJ seems to be a nice enough guy, but not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed and more prone to being swayed by others.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
This is part of the agreement that every RFA makes when he signs an offer sheet--you've got to bad-talk your former team, to give the team that makes the offer the best chance to keep you. It's quid pro quo, since the team making the offer is doing you a favor.

The Suns aren't going to let Joe J go just because he might not be happy. They need him to try and compete for a championship next year. :shrug:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Methinks JJ could have the McDyess mentality, talented player who has the wrong people in his ears, advising him poorly. In fact, this seems to be a very similar situation. JJ seems to be a nice enough guy, but not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed and more prone to being swayed by others.

Well, he's certainly like McDyess in that he's so quiet, nobody really knows what he's thinking.

McDyess is proven to be an idiot. I'd like to give Joe J the benefit of the doubt, for the time being at least. :p

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Joe Johnson really has the right to be upset with the fact that he wasn't signed last summer. In fact he should be quite happy about it. He's going to make significantly more money.

That said, I can understand why he would be a little ticked with their initial offer a couple of weeks ago. That 6 year, $60 million offer came just a day or two after Ray Allen agreed to his big contract with Seattle and Michael Redd was offered $90 million from Milwaukee. That $60 million from the Phoenix Suns was completely unnecessary. It really made no sense, and the only thing he could have done was upset JJ and his agent.

Joe Mama

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I'm also skeptical about how much JJ really wants to go to Atlanta. Assuming he'll make the same at either destination (which would be the case if Suns match an offer sheet), would he really want to go to a perennial lottery team over a 60 win team with championship aspirations?

I think this is just posturing, one last gasp at trying to get the suns to lay down the max, before he has to resign himself to the 70m/5years.

I could see proximity to his family in Arkansas being a factor but I still find it tough to believe.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well all this is being reported by gambo and ash, and if their insider info meant anything, losing joe wouldn't matter, since we'd have both Kobe and T-Mac on our team right now. :)

P.S.:Listening to ash talk about how you can't sign and trade a rfa is so frustrating considering they only have to look back one year to Kenyon Martin!

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
If that is true I say let him do as he wishes. BUT, do a sign and trade and get some value in return maybe Childress and some picks. No way in hell I we let him walk for free. Celtis gave up on this guy and Suns coaches made him a player he is today. I don't care if you hate other player you still owe it to this organization to at least get something in value for him. No way he walks for free. If this is true only option is sign and trade. If Atlanta wants to play hardball then match him, aginst his wishes, and trade him to anyone that will give you value in return. Team comes first individuals second.
WE cant lose this batlle no way in hell.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember a single case when Gambo and Ash said something surprising and it turned out to be correct.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
oh man i hope hes just playing the game to get his $$$$$$$$$$$....this is exactly what i was worried about happening

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
All this means to me is JJ & his agent are making 100% sure that Atlanta is gunna make the max offer.

Truely Atlanta is his only chance at making that much money. So they are saying the right thing to get it done.

I am sure he wants to stay in PHX, but if he has to play in Atlanta to make that much money I dont think it is a hard choice to make. He would be "THE MAN" there and would get special treatmant. Not to mention after afew years he could demant a trade if they dont turn it around.

Nothing to get in a fuss about yet.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Kobe Bryant and Tracy McGrady's non-presence on the Suns tells you all you need to know about Gambo's "credibility"

ESPN reported that Kobe turned down a max deal from the Suns.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
honestly - even if this was true - you know what? Tough sh*t JJ. I know it would be tough coming back to a team that had the best record in the league with the MVP and the soon to be most dominating low post presence in the game - he'll suck it up and play - period. Elton Brand made the same comments when he signed an offer sheet with the Heat - if he could come back and have a good attitude on the CLIPPERS - JJ should have no problem doing the same on the Suns.

Bottom line - if JJ's really THAT valuable, he'll be resigned and if there's problems down the line, he'll be moved then - to the highest bidder and we could get a much better deal than the hot garbage on Atlanta.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake