JJ wants to go to Atlanta

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
shipping Q away, almost guaranteed the Suns doing everything to keep JJ. they have no choice now.

If Q werent shipped, and the suns signed Bell and let JJ Go, I think the suns will be the same team this year with Hunter being signed for more money.

So now that Kurt is in town, Bell's verbal commitment, the suns will go and sign JJ no matter what, the only other thing that can happen is sign and trade him if he really does want to play for Atlanta as illogical as that sounds.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be more willing to believe that he was just saying this stuff as part of his ploy to get Atlanta to offer a maximum deal because he wants Phoenix to match if it wasn't for this stuff about Amare and Shawn Marion. If he really wants to come back to Phoenix I don't think he would be complaining about his teammates here. Of course I'm not sure I really believe any of it. Even if some of it's true it's certainly possible that other parts have been embellished.

Joe

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If Marion is selfish, what does he hog? Rebounds? Defensive assignments on power forwards? I sure don't ever recall seeing Johnson demanding the ball and having the offense flow through Marion instead.

I can't believe Johnson would be burning his bridges when he knows he might be "stuck" with the team after all. The report has to be bogus.

The thing that worries me is that Johnson's psyche is traditionally very fragile. Even if this story has no truth behind it, the entire incident might be enough to send him into his shell again. And how can it help his confidence to know that he's getting completely jerked around by his agent, even if it turns out to be "for his own good"?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's much adoo about less than nothing.

BTW, if JJ felt neglected last season, he might have a point. I think the Suns underestimated the level of development he would make (well duh) and did not try to feature him to a greater degree than Q until very late in the season.

With th current roster, the ideal would be to focus on Nash getting the ball to Amare and JJ with Marion and KT being secondary options. Both will score, but if Amare and JJ can BOTH attract double teams, things will open up very nicely for the rest of the team.

Last season the shots were allocated:

Stoudemire 1336
Marion 1289
Johnson 1179
Richardson 1045
Nash 857

Johnson too 370 three point shots while Marion took 341 and Richardson 651. Yet while Johnson hit 47.8% of his three pointers, Marion hit only 33.4% and Richardson 35.8%. With KT replacing Q, JJ should get a lot more touches, but I'm not sure that JJ appreciates that.

Even if there is some truth to the notion that JJ is irritated by the low ball tactics of the Suns; I cannot believe it will make any difference other than making D'Antoni think more about allocation of shots.

AZZenny

Reaction score
THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

I'm trying to remember a single case when Gambo and Ash said something surprising and it turned out to be correct.

LOL - Every time they talk about baseball - especially our minor league prospects - I am absolutely dumbfounded by the nonsense they spew - esp. Gambodoro. I swear he just makes stuff up. Often find myself wondering if he's as ignorant about other sports as he is about baseball. Guess so.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

LOL - Every time they talk about baseball - especially our minor league prospects - I am absolutely dumbfounded by the nonsense they spew - esp. Gambodoro. I swear he just makes stuff up. Often find myself wondering if he's as ignorant about other sports as he is about baseball. Guess so.

I guess we know the same Gambodoro. :eek:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
XtraSports910 on Joe Johnson

Gambo and Ash have sources that are saying Joe Johnson WANTS to go to Atlanta...

Didn't see it posted anywhere yet...

They don't know if these are rumors from JJ, or from the Suns for strategic reseasons...

I dunno, but I want HIM HERE.

Mike

yotes1921

Rookie
Reaction score
Don’t you think that the Suns are the inside source? They went out and signed Bell, and rumors of Finley keep coming up, they have proposed much lower packages then what they know other teams will offer. The Suns don’t want to be strapped with so many huge salaries and lose flexibility, and they still need more help down low. I think the Suns figured lets try and scare everyone away by saying JJ is are top priority and we’ll match any offer, but they never really intended to offer him the max, especially a SG, one of the easiest positions to fill. Colangelo is great at working the media so that the Suns come out looking like victim, “JJ would rather play in ATL so why should we sign him, we want people that want to be part of what we are trying to achieve”

Lets just hope they use the money wisely, I like JJ alot, but when you have Amare I really don't think you need to break the bank on a SG, unless it's MJ

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
but when you have Amare I really don't think you need to break the bank on a SG, unless it's MJ

Oh no, is Jordan unretiring again? ;)

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
its his mom that has the house. he's at six lounge with his boys(barkley,oakley) like every month.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
It's much adoo about less than nothing.

BTW, if JJ felt neglected last season, he might have a point.

Johnson too 370 three point shots while Marion took 341 and Richardson 651. Yet while Johnson hit 47.8% of his three pointers, Marion hit only 33.4% and Richardson 35.8%. With KT replacing Q, JJ should get a lot more touches, but I'm not sure that JJ appreciates that.

Nobody knew how the offense would develop last season, it just evolved, how could he feel neglected.

Now the point you make about the 3pt shooting does make sense. Marion and Richardson are not pure shooters like JJ. Marion and Q seemed to have itchy trigger fingers when they were shooting behind the arch when maybe one more pass would have gotten the ball to JJ, a more reliable threat.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
For what it is worth I work with David Griffin's mother she was showing me a message from him and from his blackberry his message that read

"we are keeping Joe, at least we all hope so."

I was kind of surprised since she never tells me anything eventhough we talk Suns everyday and I try and try to pry inside info out of her. Of course I am less of an ass around her :)

He also said he is going to Minnesota next week, what is in Minnesota?

sunsfn

Reaction score
Treesquid said:
For what it is worth I work with David Griffin's mother she was showing me a message from him and from his blackberry his message that read

I was kind of surprised since she never tells me anything eventhough we talk Suns everyday and I try and try to pry inside info out of her. Of course I am less of an ass around her :)

Maybe the suns are going to make a trade for Sprewell or the Alien.... :biglaugh:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Treesquid said:

Sign and Trade?

JJ signed/Marion for KG

Never mind.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treesquid said:

I believe there is a summer league up there that starts next week.

Joe

asudevil83

Reaction score
devilalum said:
Sign and Trade?

JJ signed/Marion for KG

Never mind.

or a three way trade:

Marion/JJ/Barbs for Chandler/Deng/Childress

Chandler/Deng for Marion/Harrington

Harrington/Childress for JJ/Barbs

cly2tw

Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
or a three way trade:

Marion/JJ/Barbs for Chandler/Deng/Childress

Chandler/Deng for Marion/Harrington

Harrington/Childress for JJ/Barbs

You seem to really like Childress and Harrington a lot. I would rather match JJ than trading him for these two. And Chicago is not gonna give Chandler away for Harrinton either, nor Deng for Marion.

If both Atlanta and Joe are serious about it, they should ask for sign-and-trade with Josh Smith as the main bait, plus two #1's or equilivalent, since the posturing of JJ not wanting to come back is a useless empty threat. Compared to JS's potential, Joe is much more of a sure thing. If he were to be to main go-to guy as he said there, they wouldn't need both Marvin W. and JS on the team anyway. Otherwise, we'd get Joe back no matter what.

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think this is bogus. Has JJ EVER said anything remotely this inflammatory at ANY time.

Personally to me at least joe seems like that quiet guy in the back of the room. He knows no matter what he'll get tons of money..if phoenix doesn't match, he gets his money, if they do...he stays here among a ton of talent

I don't think jj wants to leave to become THE MAN....sure he has blossomed, but to go from fragile confidence...to wanting to become the man, usually isn't something that happens too often. Something like that would take an entire personality shift. Sure it COULD happen, but even at his young age, he's older then that would happen, and he's been in the league a few years now, which adds to the "oldness" of what affects his personality.

I'd say this is either bs, or agent talk. I'm not naive, but if I had to bet, I sure wouldn't take these odds. Actually I would, but I'd bet against it. (not soliciting offers)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake