Joe Johnson out for remainder of playoffs

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I thought he would come back with a face shield. This is the same injury Lebron had, but I think the concussion is what makes it worse. I suspected he might sit out this series at least. Hopefully he can come back for the next series, if we make it that far.

If he had a hairline fracture, a face shield would be adequate. But, since they had to do surgery the fracture was one where the bone completely separated from the rest of the socket. That sort of injury just isn't going to heal in a couple of weeks.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
well i sent him a get well email so i'll just wait for him to send me an email back and tell me when he will be back.:)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
If he had a hairline fracture, a face shield would be adequate. But, since they had to do surgery the fracture was one where the bone completely separated from the rest of the socket. That sort of injury just isn't going to heal in a couple of weeks.

crap.

OP
OP
Skkorpion

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KDUS now not repeating their original report. Now they are just saying JJ is out for game 3.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
KDUS now not repeating their original report. Now they are just saying JJ is out for game 3.

SKKORP!!!!!! I will kill you man! Now - go and post that we will lose Game 3 and let all of us breathe a little easier!

This kid's gonna be back by Game 5 and we are winning this series in 7 folks - mark it down.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

Hopefully this is just another case of some news reporter wanting to get the scoop on everyone and not verifying the facts before broadcasting.

:stick: :stick: :stick: :stick: :stick: :stick:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

Wasn't the last official report that he would definitely be out both games 3 and 4.

Also don't underestimate JJ's competitive nature--you don't get to be an ironman without it. If there's even a chance of playing with a face mask, I'm sure he'll take it. It's the 2nd round of the playoffs, after all!

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
http://www.triadpublishing.com/eyecarereports/blowoutfracture.htm

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BLOWOUT FRACTURE OF THE ORBIT[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Each of your eyeballs lies within an orbit (eye socket), an open cavity in the skull that is bordered by strong bone, some of which is very thin. If your eye or eye region is hit, as by a fist or ball, it can cause a sudden increase in pressure within the orbit. The result can be a blowout fracture of the orbit -- a break in one of the thinner orbit bones and the possibility of the nerves and eye muscles in the orbit being pushed through the break. A blowout fracture of the orbit can be a very serious injury. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Symptoms [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If any blood vessels have been broken, blood will rush into the tissues and cause a classic swollen "black eye." After the swelling goes down, the eye may appear to be sunken back because the tissues have been pushed out of the orbit through the broken bone. You may also have double vision (diplopia) whenever you look up or down. The lower part of the cheek and some of the upper back teeth on the same side as the fractured orbit may become numb. Very rarely, severe pain and nausea occur immediately after the injury. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Examination [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The eye and lids will be thoroughly examined to determine the extent of the injury. Your vision will be evaluated, pupil size and reaction to light evaluated, and eye movements checked. Then with the pupils dilated (enlarged) with eyedrops, the inside of the eye will be examined with an ophthalmoscope. If a blowout fracture is suspected, you may have various types of x-ray examinations of the orbital bones and other facial bones. If swelling is so severe as to make the eye examination painful, or even hazardous, it may be postponed. After a week or two, the swelling will go down and then there can be a full evaluation and a decision made as to treatment. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Treatment [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your treatment will depend on the type and extent of the damage. If there is no serious injury except for the orbital bone, it may be allowed to heal without any treatment. But if it appears that double vision or a sunken eyeball might be permanent, the fractured bone may need to be repaired surgically, possibly sealing the hole with a thin plastic implant. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Surgical repair of a "blowout" is rarely undertaken immediately; it can be safely postponed for up to two weeks, if necessary, to let the swelling subside. Surgery to place an orbital implant leaves little or no scarring and the recovery period is usually brief. Hopefully, the surgery will provide a permanent cure, but sometimes it provides only partial relief from double vision or a sunken eye.[/font]

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SweetD said:
Surgery to place an orbital implant leaves little or no scarring and the recovery period is usually brief. Hopefully, the surgery will provide a permanent cure, but sometimes it provides only partial relief from double vision or a sunken eye.[/size][/font]
[/left]

BRIEF - brief RECOVERY PERIOD.

JJ - you're a stud - now become a STAR - rest for a game or two - let the boys pick up the slack and get a split and come back and put your imprint on this town! All's not lost - does it look great? No - but all is not lost yet.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
As I said before, I wouldn't count on him coming back for this series, but after that, we'll just have to see. At this point, I'm sure there's no way to know how quickly he'll be able to return.

The Suns just need to focus on winning the next two games. That's all that really matters at this point. I'm confident that they understand that.

AZZenny

Reaction score
However, usually if its a blowout fracture, they'll call it that. Since they initially thought it was just a crack, but increased tissue swelling over time changed that assessment, it is probably not a blowout fracture. Nevertheless, the risk in any orbital fracture is vision damage due to nerve or muscle damage. (Of course, the 'miss game 3 and maybe 4' was said when they were still thinking it was just a cracked bone.)

The other piece is that a blow serious enough to bust the socket is enough to cause a good solid concussion. ANY diagnosed concussion, however mild, means the brain was bruised. Even mild concussions with no loss of consciousness commonly screw up fine-motor timing and pure reaction time/mental processing speed for 1-3 weeks, not to mention irritability, fatigue, fuzzy/foggy thinking, disorganization and absentmindedness.

If he doesn't make it back it this series or the next (because I do believe we can still beat Dallas, although no longer feeling at all upbeat about San Antonio) it says nothing about a lack of toughness. It might say something about having common sense.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
what will REALLY bother me is this - if we do go down - people jumping on the I TOLD YOU SO bandwagon and not acknowledging how huge of a part of our team JJ was.

Kinda like the Suns fans (especially in my family) that told me "I told you the Lakers wouldn't threepeat!" immediately after both Byron Scott and Magic Johnson went out with injuries going into (and in) the Finals against Detroit in '89... :shrug:

I'll tell you what they've told me ever since then - "Injuries are part of the game."

They are and it sucks. :|

FWIW: You guys looked like champs the year you lost Manning also.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Joe Johnson for a successful surgery and recovery.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Kinda like the Suns fans (especially in my family) that told me "I told you the Lakers wouldn't threepeat!" immediately after both Byron Scott and Magic Johnson went out with injuries going into (and in) the Finals against Detroit in '89... :shrug:

I'll tell you what they've told me ever since then - "Injuries are part of the game."

They are and it sucks. :|

FWIW: You guys looked like champs the year you lost Manning also.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Joe Johnson for a successful surgery and recovery.

agree with you totally. The Laker team would have crushed Detroit - they had crushed everyone up to that point.

If people want to say we lost because of a lack of depth, that's fine - no real argument there, but if people jump out and start calling out our style of play, well, that's just crap.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Even mild concussions with no loss of consciousness commonly screw up fine-motor timing and pure reaction time/mental processing speed for 1-3 weeks, not to mention irritability, fatigue, fuzzy/foggy thinking, disorganization and absentmindedness.

I'm not sure what "commonly" means. I've suffered a mild concussion, as I'm sure many people on this board have, and I didn't show any of those symptoms. I think I remember being nauseated for the rest of the afternoon, and that was pretty much it. Mine was probably really minor, but it was definitely a concussion. It all just depends.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I thought he would come back with a face shield. This is the same injury Lebron had, but I think the concussion is what makes it worse. I suspected he might sit out this series at least. Hopefully he can come back for the next series, if we make it that far.

did lebron have surgery? not all orbital fractures require surgery. mine didn't and my orbital was fractured in two spots along with two fractures in my cheekbone. it was when i heard that he required surgery that i knew this was really baaaaad news.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Even mild concussions with no loss of consciousness commonly screw up fine-motor timing and pure reaction time/mental processing speed for 1-3 weeks, not to mention irritability, fatigue, fuzzy/foggy thinking, disorganization and absentmindedness.

I'm not sure what "commonly" means. I've suffered a mild concussion, as I'm sure many people on this board have, and I didn't show any of those symptoms. I think I remember being nauseated for the rest of the afternoon, and that was pretty much it. Mine was probably really minor, but it was definitely a concussion. It all just depends.

I gotta agree - I had a MAJOR concussion after I got the crap beat out of me and slammed my head on a concrete parking block. I felt like crap for a day or two, but the only thing that bothered me after that was the shaved patch on top of my head and the neck brace from the shattered vertebrae in my neck.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Look at it this way, at least we traded for Jim Jackson. Imagine the horror of seeing Casey Jacobsen's name in the starting lineup.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
regardless of any reports - we should all probably just asusme JJ ain't coming back for AT LEAST this series.

We should also thank god that it won't be Casey Jacobsen coming in to try and give us his minutes.

All we need is two of the last five games for JJ to get hot - as long as we get that, I'm confident that we can piece together a way towin this series. These are ONLY THE MAVS - they are good - but they ain'tthe Spurs.

EDIT: Mao - sometimes I think you are me and Ouchie's long lost 4th brother.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
elindholm said:

i've been concussed a few times and had some of those displayed. and a friend of mine's little bro got concussed playing football and it literally changed his personality from a quiet, mild-mannered happy guy to a sullen, angry, snappish arse almost overnight for a period of a year. it was insane. he finally snapped outta it and everyone was just flabbergasted.

yotes1921

Rookie
Reaction score
He may be back for game 6 or game 7

“He underwent reconstructive surgery for an orbital fracture,” Dr. Edward Joganic, who performed the surgery, said in a prepared statement. “Surgery went smoothly and he is expected to recover fully. We will continue to evaluate Joe and assess his ability to play in the remainder of the playoffs in one week.”

The plan is to re-evaluate his status in seven days, which would mean he will miss Games 3 and 4 in Dallas this weekend and Game 5 in Phoenix next Wednesday.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yotes1921 said:
He may be back for game 6 or game 7

“He underwent reconstructive surgery for an orbital fracture,” Dr. Edward Joganic, who performed the surgery, said in a prepared statement. “Surgery went smoothly and he is expected to recover fully. We will continue to evaluate Joe and assess his ability to play in the remainder of the playoffs in one week.”

The plan is to re-evaluate his status in seven days, which would mean he will miss Games 3 and 4 in Dallas this weekend and Game 5 in Phoenix next Wednesday.

if we steal one of the next two - we win this series - without a doubt in my mind. Heal quick Joe!

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
Johnson Surgery Successful

By Jeramie McPeek, Suns.com
Posted: May 12, 2005, 1:15 p.m.

Phoenix Suns guard Joe Johnson underwent successful surgery to repair a broken bone in his left eye socket this morning, after suffering the fracture during an ugly fall in Game 2 of the Western Conference Semifinals Wednesday night.

Backcourt partner Steve Nash paid a visit to Good Samaratin Hospital on the way to America West Arena and delivered the encouraging news to his teammates, before they boarded a plane bound for Dallas.

“He seemed pretty good this morning,” Nash told reporters. “He didn’t seem too depressed. He’s got a lot of support. His family and friends are there… He was fine. He was really aware and awake, and he was in pretty good spirits considering how difficult this is.

“You know, Joe’s not a man of a million faces, so he seems like he’s taking it in stride. But I know deep down inside that he wishes he was out there.”

Johnson suffered the injury, along with a mild concussion, a cut lip and wrist, while driving to the hole late in the first half. As Mavericks guard Jerry Stackhouse went up to block the shot, the Suns’ starting off-guard grabbed the rim and his momentum swung his legs forward causing him to lose his balance and hit the hardwood.

Stackhouse was called for a flagrant foul, but replays appeared to show the mid-air collision and subsequent fall was accidental.

“I haven’t seen it again, but I will say I don’t think it was intentional,” Nash said of foul. “I don’t think Jerry tried to hurt him at all. He just made a challenge and it was just unfortunate angles and speed, and an unlucky play.”

The unlucky play will lead to Johnson missing Game 3 on Friday night and likely Game 4 on Sunday, at the minimum. Suns Head Coach Mike D’Antoni told reporters he plans to start veteran guard Jim Jackson, who was acquired from the New Orleans Hornets in January, in his slot.

“We couldn’t have asked for anybody better to take Joe’s spot,” the NBA’s Coach of the Year said. “You obviously don’t want to have to be put in that situation, but to have Jimmy Jackson is why we made the trade.” “We’re lucky we made the acquisition to get Jimmy because we would be in a lot of trouble without him,” added Nash. “He gives us an experienced player to step right in and add a lot to our team, whether he’s starting or on the bench.”

After dropping Game 2, 108-106, the NBA’s best road team during the regular season is looking to reclaim home court advantage by taking a game in Dallas. Although they would feel better about their situation with Johnson in the lineup, Nash says they are now motivated to win the second-round series for their fallen teammate.

“I feel horrible for him,” the NBA’s MVP said. “You know, to go through that type of surgery for one is difficult, and to recover from that is tough. For him to have such a great year and for our team to be doing so great, and to lose him at this time of the year is bad. I feel so bad for him.

“It’s tough. I mean, Joe’s been an iron man for us. He never misses a practice, he never misses a game and he’s been such a huge part of our team. He’s had such a great year and we need him. He’s a great guy, so he’s awesome to have in the locker room. So it’s really tough for us. We’re just going to have to try to rally together and get it done for him.”

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake