Joe Johnson out for remainder of playoffs

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
Johnson out a week

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
May. 12, 2005 01:53 PM

Phoenix Suns starting guard Joe Johnson is expected to miss the next three games of the Western Conference semifinals series because of the displaced orbital fracture he sufferred during Phoenix's Game.2 loss on Wednesday.

Johnson underwent successful surgery Thursday morning at Good Samaritan Hospital but will be off the court for a week.

The plan is to re-evaluate his status in seven days, which would mean he will miss Games 3 and 4 in Dallas this weekend and Game 5 in Phoenix next Wednesday. advertisement

Johnson suffered the injury when he was knocked to floor on Jerry Stackhouse's foul as Johnson attempted a breakaway slam.

“He underwent reconstructive surgery for an orbital fracture,” Dr. Edward Joganic, who performed the surgery, said in a prepared statement. “Surgery went smoothly and he is expected to recover fully. We will continue to evaluate Joe and assess his ability to play in the remainder of the playoffs in one week.”

Johnson has never missed a game since joining the Suns in his rookie season. That streak covers 275 regular-season games and 12 playoff games.

Jim Jackson will start in his place for Friday's Game 3 in Dallas. The series is tied at 1.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
EDIT: Mao - sometimes I think you are me and Ouchie's long lost 4th brother.
If membership into your fam includes having to make outlandish comments such as "Josh McCown is the answer," then I'm going to have to take a rain check on that one.

Wait a second, I just got an idea. We all hear how great McCown is at basketball. Does anyone else think it's possible for the to Suns call in a favor to the Cardinals and request McCown as bench help to replace JJ? I mean, Josh couldn't be any worse at basketball than he is at football, could he?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
If membership into your fam includes having to make outlandish comments such as "Josh McCown is the answer," then I'm going to have to take a rain check on that one.

Wait a second, I just got an idea. We all hear how great McCown is at basketball. Does anyone else think it's possible for the to Suns call in a favor to the Cardinals and request McCown as bench help to replace JJ? I mean, Josh couldn't be any worse at basketball than he is at football, could he?

don't make me bring up NO PLAY RAY

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
playstation said:
Backcourt partner Steve Nash paid a visit to Good Samaratin Hospital on the way to America West Arena and delivered the encouraging news to his teammates, before they boarded a plane bound for Dallas.

nash just continues to exhibit the leadership that made him mvp and evidences the reasons we signed him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
10 to 1 if Joe is feeling all right next Wednesday, he'll play, at least spot duty, for Game 5.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
10 to 1 if Joe is feeling all right next Wednesday, he'll play, at least spot duty, for Game 5.

that's my gut as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Card Trader said:
Jim Jackson will have back to back 20 pt games in Joe's absence. Mark it down.

I'll settle for one - that would be enough for a split - which is all we need.

Man - I CAN'T WAIT for Game 3 - REALLY curious to see how we respond. You know the Mavs will come out on fire at home - if we can keep it close in the first 8 minutes it bodes well for us.

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
nash just continues to exhibit the leadership that made him mvp and evidences the reasons we signed him.

I agree. What a cool guy. I'm proud of this team, regardless of how far they go. :thumbup:

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I'll settle for one - that would be enough for a split - which is all we need.

Man - I CAN'T WAIT for Game 3 - REALLY curious to see how we respond. You know the Mavs will come out on fire at home - if we can keep it close in the first 8 minutes it bodes well for us.

I can see it a lot like that game against Memphis where they shot like 70% in the first quarter yet ended up down 1, completely took the wind out of their sails.

jibikao

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
what will REALLY bother me is this - if we do go down - people jumping on the I TOLD YOU SO bandwagon and not acknowledging how huge of a part of our team JJ was.

That's the part I hate the most.

Not because we may not beat Spurs. In fact, I think if we are all healthy, we have a pretty good chance to upset them.

Spurs fans are all so happy about this news. lol Lucky them.

So, is JJ out of playoff or just this series?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Card Trader said:
Jim Jackson will have back to back 20 pt games in Joe's absence. Mark it down.

Offensively, the drop off is minimal, defensively, Jackson has a lot of trouble keeping in front of Stackhouse, among others.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
JJax is a great player to fill in for JJ. He can't get his own shot as easy, but he can hit that 3 (not as good as JJ either). He's just as good of a passer if not better, especially off the pick and roll. The bad thing is he doesn't have great lateral quickness to guard other guards, but he's a vet, can hit the jumper and doesn't hesitate to take clutch shots.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
“You know, Joe’s not a man of a million faces..."

No, I'd say he's a man of two faces -- the one he had before the injury, and the new one with the eye bones in different places.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
*sigh*

This is so depressing.

I hope we can steal at least one game in Dallas.

Now the rotations are screwed up, as are minutes, etc...

:(

Get well soon Joe

:raccoon:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
jibikao said:
So, is JJ out of playoff or just this series?

No idea yet. He's going to be reevaluated in a week to see how much he has healed. He's out for the minimum of the next 2 games.

Every person heals at different speeds. Lets just hope JJ is a quick healer

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
No idea yet. He's going to be reevaluated in a week to see how much he has healed. He's out for the minimum of the next 2 games.

Every person heals at different speeds. Lets just hope JJ is a quick healer

I;m praying that his relative ability to NEVER miss a single game means his body is stronger than usual and can come back a game early - like swing Game 5.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I;m praying that his relative ability to NEVER miss a single game means his body is stronger than usual and can come back a game early - like swing Game 5.

And don't underestimate how huge that would be, returning to Phoenix and having Game 5 being his first game back.

jibikao

Reaction score
Oh...thank god, Ok, so JJ has a chance to come back after we beat the Mavs right? :D

Guys, chill!!!!!!!

Some of you are way too negative!!!

Without JJ for the first time, we only lost the game by 2pt and that game was very winnable.

Now that we are more prepared for JJ's absence and I am sure Jim Jackson will step up. For god's sake, Jim Jackson has been a starter almost all his basketball life. He is a great player and I don't think he did a terrible job containing Stackhouse. The refs were just very tough on Jim Jackson last night. It's not like Stackhouse killed us last night. It was Finely!!!!

I am sure Jim Jackson will step up. What I am worried about is Nash's mins. That's my main concern.

Can Jackson run point?

Well, Barbosa/Hunter better bring their A games before JJ comes back!

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

My guess is it depends on how the series is going for us. If we somehow manage to take the next 2 games then they'll probably have JJ ride the pine, so there is no chance of further injury.

Other than that possibility I agree we'll see him in spot duty in Game 5 if he is available to play

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
JPlay said:
(JJax's) just as good of a passer if not better, especially off the pick and roll.

Agreed. If there's one soft spot in JJ's game it's that off the pick and rolls with amare he seems to have troubles getting the ball to him. Jjax is much better with that bounce pass as amare rolls towards the hoop. If he can step in and run that play with Nash on the bench then offensively we shouldn't be that much worse than with JJ running the point.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I also remember two instances last night when JJ (not JJ2) was running the point and Marion and Stoudemire were open under the basket. JJ looked like he saw them, but he didn't even think about passing it through traffic. JJ is solid and can shake his man, but he can't pinpoint pass like Nash can.

Last edited:

jibikao

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I also remember two instances last night when JJ (not JJ2) was running the point and Marion and Stoudemire were open under the basket. JJ looked like he saw them, but he didn't even think about passing it through traffic. JJ is solid and can shake his man, but he can pinpoint pass like Nash can.

But he "can't" pinpoint pass like Nash can? Or he "can"? lol

I've always liked Jim Jackson. I think the league hates him because he purposedly ignored Hornets and the refs dislike him for that. lol

And Jim Jackson doesn't go inside a lot 'cause I've heard that he gets VERY FEW calls when he gets down there. I don't know why....

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
I hope JJ will be back for game 5

Phoenix Suns starting guard Joe Johnson is expected to miss the next three games of the Western Conference semifinals series because of the displaced orbital fracture he suffered during Phoenix's Game.2 loss on Wednesday.

Johnson underwent successful surgery Thursday morning at Good Samaritan Hospital but will be off the court for a week.

The plan is to re-evaluate his status in seven days, which would mean he will miss Games 3 and 4 in Dallas this weekend and Game 5 in Phoenix next Wednesday.
advertisement

Johnson suffered the injury when he was knocked to floor on Jerry Stackhouse's foul as Johnson attempted a breakaway slam.

“He underwent reconstructive surgery for an orbital fracture,” Dr. Edward Joganic, who performed the surgery, said in a prepared statement. “Surgery went smoothly and he is expected to recover fully. We will continue to evaluate Joe and assess his ability to play in the remainder of the playoffs in one week.”

Johnson has never missed a game since joining the Suns in his rookie season. That streak covers 275 regular-season games and 12 playoff games.

Jim Jackson will start in his place for Friday's Game 3 in Dallas. The series is tied at 1.

www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0512suns-ON-CR.html

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake