Joe Johnson out for remainder of playoffs

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
That had to hurt like a son of a gun. The only other time I can remember someone's face bouncing off the floor like that was when it happened to Larry Bird.

My gut feeling is that JJ will be held out of this series. Regardless if he's "healed" or not. I'm sure managment has his long-term health in mind.

On the other hand, JJ is young and should bounce back quickly. I'm sure once the pain dies down, he'll want to get back out on the floor.

Oh man, I hope PHX comes out and just kicks the living you-know-what out of Dallas on Friday. Remember, Dallas is one game removed from Team Meltdown. Dirk was crying. Avery was falling. And, Dampier was getting circles run around him.

Here's to Amare going roughshod on someone's head!

AZZenny

Reaction score
I'm a board-certified neuropsychologist. I work with concussions and head injuries and I read the research on sports neurology/psychology.

The research is pretty clear - a concussion which is enough to leave a person dazed - as Joe was, staggering to the FT line - and with ANY period of retrograde amnesia - like he has no recall of playing in the game - with or without frank loss of consciousness, produces a subtle but measurable (on computerized tests) drop in super-fine speed of processing tasks in most cases. It may not be enough for the average person to recognize as a problem but it is enough that the remarkable timing and reflexes of a supertuned athlete would probably be slightly off.

Is it enough to obviously impair a linebacker? Nope. A pitcher? Maybe not. A batter? probably. Goalie? Very likely. A basketball player? Don't know how much really fine timing matters. You tell me. I think if Nash was a few milliseconds off it could be a big difference - maybe not for Joe or Amare.

In some people it clears completely in a few days, in most people takes a week or two, but really sensitive tests including PET scans of brain activity sometimes find slight changes lasting several months. btw, If you've ever had a concussion before, the likelihood of having noticeable symptoms and longer duration increases with each successive concussion.

Anyhow, my real point was that he's not a weenie if he doesn't play this series - or next.

sunsfn

Reaction score
AZZenny said:
I'm a board-certified neuropsychologist. I work with concussions and head injuries and I read the research on sports neurology/psychology.

The research is pretty clear - a concussion which is enough to leave a person dazed - as Joe was, staggering to the FT line - and with ANY period of retrograde amnesia - like he has no recall of playing in the game - with or without frank loss of consciousness, produces a subtle but measurable (on computerized tests) drop in super-fine speed of processing tasks in most cases. It may not be enough for the average person to recognize as a problem but it is enough that the remarkable timing and reflexes of a supertuned athlete would probably be slightly off.

Is it enough to obviously impair a linebacker? Nope. A pitcher? Maybe not. A batter? probably. Goalie? Very likely. A basketball player? Don't know how much really fine timing matters. You tell me. I think if Nash was a few milliseconds off it could be a big difference - maybe not for Joe or Amare.

In some people it clears completely in a few days, in most people takes a week or two, but really sensitive tests including PET scans of brain activity sometimes find slight changes lasting several months. btw, If you've ever had a concussion before, the likelihood of having noticeable symptoms and longer duration increases with each successive concussion.

Anyhow, my real point was that he's not a weenie if he doesn't play this series - or next.

AZZenny, thanks for the info.

I wonder if JJ has had a concussion before? Hopefully he can play in this series.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
The Suns aren't making it through the Spurs without Joe Johnson, that's for sure, even if they survive the Mavericks series. Next year is important too, though.

Anyway, I hope Joe gets better soon. :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake