John Clayton on Leinart

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I was just watching ESPNews and John Clayton was reporting on the Cardinals. He said that Green has let Leinart start to call audibles the past couple days in rookie mini-camp, the first rookie he has ever let do that. He also noted that when the regular mini-camp starts (vets and rooks), he will allow Leinart to call audibles and also tell vets where he wants them to lineup (not sure what thats suypposed to mean...). Pretty cool stuff, starting to get some quality pub!

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did he call his own plays at USC? He'll be Payton like in no time with the ability to see the defense. As long as he doesn't do all the overacting choreography that Payton's known for. How irritating.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
phillycard said:
Did he call his own plays at USC? He'll be Payton like in no time with the ability to see the defense. As long as he doesn't do all the overacting choreography that Payton's known for. How irritating.

Didn't call his own plays but he had the freedom to audible which isn't always true with college QB's. Leinart is a very smart kid, he has that reputation as laid back surfer boy but he's pretty intelligent(for a USC kid).

The big adjustment that Leinart is going to have to make is getting used to the fact that in the NFL, you won't have guys wide open on every play like he did so much at USC. What I always liked about Leinart was how fearless he was, my only real question is arm strength and how healthy he'll be, in terms of feel for the game, touch, accuracy etc, he's about as NFL ready as any QB in recent memory. For him it's simply going to be adjusting to the speed of NFL defenses and how much smaller the throwing windows are, USC was so good the last couple of years he was deciding which wide open player to throw to, that doesn't happen much at this level.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Didn't call his own plays but he had the freedom to audible which isn't always true with college QB's. Leinart is a very smart kid, he has that reputation as laid back surfer boy but he's pretty intelligent(for a USC kid).

The big adjustment that Leinart is going to have to make is getting used to the fact that in the NFL, you won't have guys wide open on every play like he did so much at USC. What I always liked about Leinart was how fearless he was, my only real question is arm strength and how healthy he'll be, in terms of feel for the game, touch, accuracy etc, he's about as NFL ready as any QB in recent memory. For him it's simply going to be adjusting to the speed of NFL defenses and how much smaller the throwing windows are, USC was so good the last couple of years he was deciding which wide open player to throw to, that doesn't happen much at this level.

But it might, when he decides on throwing to Boldin, Fitz, Pope, and James! :)

WhoDeyForever

Who-Dey?
Reaction score
I can't wait to see Leinart play. I think he could be one the next good qbs behind Carson of course :D. Matt has all the weapons he needs. Fitzgerald,Boldin and Pope. Going to be very exciting!

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
WhoDeyForever said:
I can't wait to see Leinart play. I think he could be one the next good qbs behind Carson of course :D. Matt has all the weapons he needs. Fitzgerald,Boldin and Pope. Going to be very exciting!

Don't forget, Leinart will have an EDGE, too!!!! :thumbup:

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
WhoDeyForever said:

Go Steelers! :thumbup: