Julio traded for Yusmeiro Petit

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TUCSON, Ariz. -- The D-backs acquired prospect Yusmeiro Petit from the Marlins on Monday in exchange for reliever Jorge Julio and cash considerations.

Petit made his big-league debut for the Marlins last year when he appeared in 15 games, including one start, and was 1-1 with a 9.57 ERA. The 22-year-old spent most of 2006 with Triple-A Albuquerque, going 4-6 with a 4.28 ERA in 17 starts.

Originally signed by the Mets in 2001, Petit was traded to Florida in November 2005 as part of a deal that sent Carlos Delgado to New York.
Petit was in contention for the No. 5 spot in the Marlins rotation this spring, which will now go to Sergio Mitre.
http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com...d=1860288&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Just a few things

1) Petit has the best control of any pitcher I've ever seen live. I use terms like "best ever seen" very infrequently, so trust me when I tell you that this guy is for real. He'll throw a lot of strikes and compile at least 130-140 Ks per year when he fully hits his stride.

2) With this said, he's also With that being said, he also gives up a LOT of fly ball hits. I think eventually he COULD cap that, however off the bat, expect a moderate, high 3s ERA until he grows in to mixing it up a bit.

In all, I love the deal for Arizona. Jorge Julio was replacable IMO, and if Valverde finally puts it together, which I think he will, this deal is a steal.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess this deal was about money. Sure, Julio isn't a dominant closer, but given the track record of the rest of the bullpen I don't see why the Dbacks would be so keen on trading quality arms. At least they can make another addition to their marginal starter stable.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BA on the deal
Petit, a 22-year-old righty, bombed in his first big league trial last year, going 1-1, 9.57 in 15 games (one start) with the Marlins. Signed out Venezuela in 2001 by the Mets, he joined the Marlins as part of the Carlos Delgado trade in November 2005. He has enjoyed success throughout the minors, going 32-26, 3.02 with a 559-111 K-BB ratio in 498 innings, but his stats are better than his stuff. His changeup is his best pitch, but the velocity was down on his fringy fastball last year, and neither his curveball nor slider were as effective as they were in the past.

Petit's stock isn't what it once was, and it's surprising that the Marlins got a useful reliever and possible closer for him. The Diamondbacks will save money by dealing him, but he could have helped their bullpen.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/majors/news/263601.html

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not too keen on the trade as Petit doesn't really thrill me, but he still has potential. Julio is the second decent bullpen arm the team has moved since last year (the other being Vizciano in the RJ deal) without replacing them, when the bullpen was rather mediocre to begin with. Luckily it seems we have a surplus of decent but unspectacular arms, and I'm guessing either Nippert or Enrique Gonzalez will grab the last bullpen slot, at least temporarily.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Julio is what he is - an inconsistent closer with annual weight problems. He pitched well here for a couple months thanks to a change of scenery but once he got settled in he was not very good. Think Jose Valverde with less upside.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Julio is what he is - an inconsistent closer with annual weight problems. He pitched well here for a couple months thanks to a change of scenery but once he got settled in he was not very good. Think Jose Valverde with less upside.

Precisely Mao.

Julio's effective in spurts and outright hideous in others. While he pitched adequately for his first handful of months as a Diamondback, I'm not thinking they got rid of someone who was unreplacable. I know I'm 100 percent against "What If" trades, but I really do feel confident that Valverde can get about 25-30 saves this year, and guys like Medders, Pena and Peguro can be adequate enough to hold down the ship.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
and 3 games in Julio has blown his first save.......... 2 run lead going into the 9th - never had a chance

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
and 3 games in Julio has blown his first save.......... 2 run lead going into the 9th - never had a chance

And 2 games into our season Valverde blows his first. Neither are good and will be major problems for their respective teams.

I still can't believe we didn't make an upgrade at closer. It baffles me

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
likewise

hopefully henry owens steps up or nolasco develops into the role for the fish

do you have any prospects behing valverde?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And 2 games into our season Valverde blows his first. Neither are good and will be major problems for their respective teams.

I still can't believe we didn't make an upgrade at closer. It baffles me

Except in Valverde's case, the game should have been over when the ball was hit to Byrnes.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Except in Valverde's case, the game should have been over when the ball was hit to Byrnes.

True but you can't ignore the fact that every time someone makes contact on a Valverde meatball, it's an absolute rocket. That was a tough catch but should have been made

Ruff N Tuff

Reaction score
Julio has lost the closers role for the Marlins already. Looks like we got the better end of the deal.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
It's good to be on the positive side of a young-prospect-for-a-mediocre-reliever trade for a change. :thumbup:

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's good to be on the positive side of a young-prospect-for-a-mediocre-reliever trade for a change. :thumbup:
How many times have the Diamondbacks ever traded a young prospect (at least one that was any good) for a mediocre reliever?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
julio has blown two saves and loaded up the bases before getting bailed out in a 3rd outing - the marlins could easily be 8-2 right now instead of 6-4

not sure who will emerge - henry owens has been throwing really well as a setup guy - however tankersley has long been rumoured and he just came back last night (gave up 2 really hard hits, one cleared the fence)

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
How many times have the Diamondbacks ever traded a young prospect (at least one that was any good) for a mediocre reliever?

Brad Penny (amongst others) for Matt Mantei. I was never much of a Mantei fan, and the guy couldn't stay healthy for anything.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brad Penny (amongst others) for Matt Mantei. I was never much of a Mantei fan, and the guy couldn't stay healthy for anything.

Mantei carried the suspect bullpen on his back into the 99 playoffs. That team should have destroyed the Mets in the NLDS and made some noise in the playoffs that year, but alas.....

That trade had to be made that year and it payed off immediately, just didn't workout over the long run.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mantei carried the suspect bullpen on his back into the 99 playoffs. That team should have destroyed the Mets in the NLDS and made some noise in the playoffs that year, but alas.....

That trade had to be made that year and it payed off immediately, just didn't workout over the long run.
Excellent point. There have been far worse moves from that team.