Justin Upton Thread

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Upton hitless in Minor League debut
Top pick in 2005 handles two chances in center field
By Kevin T. Czerwinski / MLB.com

You must be registered for see images
Justin Upton takes a cut in his Minor League debut on Friday in South Bend. (Matt Cashore/MLB.com)

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- There was no big hit, no spectacular play in center field on which Justin Upton could someday look back on and smile. Rather, the top pick in last year's draft made his professional debut Friday in fairly ordinary fashion as South Bend lost its sixth consecutive game, a 6-3 decision to Wisconsin at Coveleski Regional Stadium. Upton went hitless in five at-bats for the Silver Hawks, becoming the first position player among the top picks in the draft to go hitless in his debut since Bellingham's Ken Griffey Jr. went 0-for-3 in 1987 against Everett. Upton did, however, handle both chances in center field -- his new position -- easily, recording putouts in the second and seventh inning.
"We were just trying to play a game and we got beat," said Upton, whose debut was delayed two weeks as he rehabbed a minor shoulder injury. "It was a tough loss, but we'll play again tomorrow."
Upton, who wore No. 16, is expected to play on Saturday, despite developing a severe blister on his left hand during batting practice Friday afternoon. He said he hadn't taken any swings for two days prior to Friday's session in the cage. Whether that factored into his developing the blister, which is the size of a half dollar, just below his thumb is debatable.
What isn't questionable, though, is that the blister tore and he has an open sore on his hand, one that had to be bandaged before the game and required treatment afterwards. Upton said the blister bothered him at the plate but that he expects to be in the lineup Saturday, when he will continue the quest for his first professional hit.
Upton struck out looking in the first inning with a man on first base and followed that by grounding out to third in the third. When he lofted a high fly ball to left in the fifth, there were some oohs and aahs among the 1,452 in attendance, but spacious Coveleski Stadium had little trouble holding the shot that died well before the warning track.
Upton grounded out to second base in the eighth and struck out swinging with two men on in the ninth, an at-bat during which he had words with the umpire over balls and strikes.
"I struck out, but at the same time, I had to swing at a two-strike pitch," said Upton, who went 7-for-14 with six RBIs during Major League Spring Training. "It was still my fault."
South Bend manager Mark Haley admitted that Upton was pressing a bit; then again, he was quick to point, that his whole team was a pressing as a result of the losing streak. As for Upton's tête-à-tête with the umpire in the ninth, Haley says there's no need to admonish the youngster.
"He's an intense kid and he wants to succeed and be the man," Haley said. "It's part of the learning process. He felt a pitch [that was called a strike] was outside in a crucial situation. He wants to be the man and get his RBIs. It was an intense situation and he felt the ball was outside.
"But you could see the bat speed there. He came in with a lot of anxiety, this being his first pro game. But I saw some pretty good swings."
Luis Valbuena's two-run triple in the third inning off Ryan Schreppel [0-2] gave Wisconsin an early lead that it did not relinquish. The Timber Rattlers took a 4-1 lead into the ninth before tacking on a pair of runs.
South Bend scored twice in the ninth to cut the deficit in half but could draw no closer.
Jose Escalona [2-1] went five innings and scattered three hits to earn the victory.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Delmon Young said:
Upton caught looking.... BUST!!! ;) Just kidding, the kid is going to be phenomenal.

Devil Rays prospect throws bat at plate umpire
Associated Press

PAWTUCKET, R.I. -- Durham Bulls outfielder Delmon Young threw a bat into the chest of the home plate umpire after being called out on strikes in the first inning of Wednesday night's game at Pawtucket.

Young argued with the umpire after taking a third strike on a 1-and-2 pitch. The umpire ejected Young, who then threw his bat and hit the umpire in the chest.

Replacement umpires have been working all minor league games this season because the regular umpires are on strike. Bill Wanless, a spokesman for the Pawtucket Red Sox, said minor league teams are not releasing the names of umpires while the regulars are on strike.

Young, 20, is the younger brother of Detroit Tigers outfielder Dmitri Young. He was voted the Tampa Bay Devil Rays' minor league player of the year last season and the 2005 minor league player of the year by Baseball America.

The Devils Rays selected Young with the first overall pick in the 2003 amateur draft.

:shock:

Delmon Young

Rookie
Reaction score
I was kidding about the bust thing... Upton's immensely talented. As for the Delmon situation, I'm going to wait until I see the video to comment any further. Let's just say it was an extremely dumb decision.

whozurmomma

One smart momma
Reaction score
Upton is doing better now ... his numbers are coming around.

As for Delmon Young ... isn't there a pretty healthy suspension for coming into contact with an umpire? Someone told me there was a 10 game suspension.

What I don't understand about some young players today ... no matter the talent level, no matter who is behind the catcher calling the strikes and balls ... if an umpire tosses the kid, why do they keep hassling the blue? Granted, the big leaguers do that all the time, but some of these kids aren't even old enough to buy booze legally and they keep challenging authority. I realize the umpires are replacement, and there have been some pretty bad calls during the umpires' strike, but arguing with an umpire seldom if ever is a winning proposition so why take any action that is going to make the guy even more angry? Just wondering ...

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Here is a list of recent punishments on incidents like the one Young had:

Izzy Alcantara Kicked a catcher Suspended for six games by International League
Roberto Alomar Spit on an umpire Suspended for five games by MLB
Milton Bradley Spit gum at umpire Suspended for seven games by Eastern League
Carl Everett Head butted an umpire Suspended for 10 games by MLB
Delmon Young Bumped an umpire Suspended for three games by Southern League

whozurmomma

One smart momma
Reaction score
Heard on the news yesterday that Delmon has been suspended for 60 games ... is that for real? That's almost half the season. Wow ...

Also saw a clip of the incident on local news (he is a So Cal boy so it is news, I guess) and altho he said in his 'apology' that he didn't intend to hit anyone, he definitely appeared to be aiming it at the umpire ... who was NOT looking at Delmon. He made it seem like he just tossed the bat in anger but being a right handed batter, with his team dugout on the first base side, you have to wonder why he had walked away from the plate a bit of a distance, then turned around and flipped the bat in the direction of the umpire. Wouldn't most guys toss it towards their own dugout?

Too bad a young guy with as much talent as Delmon has doesn't know how to control his temper enough when he doesn't like a call. Perhaps he was just attempting to make his point of disagreeing with the umpire's call, but nothing warrants that display.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Justin hit his first professional grand slam last Thursday.

Justin Upton hit a grand slam and drove in 5 runs in total to lead the Silver Hawks to the win over the Devil Rays. He got all his 5 RBIs in the first 2 innings as South Bend jumped out to a 6-0 lead. Pedro Ciriaco walked to leadoff the game and reached 2nd on Leyson Septimo’s single. Upton doubled in Ciriaco, and Septimo scored later on a ground out by Trey Hendricks. The Silver Hawks loaded the bases with 2 outs in the 2nd by drawing 3 walks. Upton sent a shot over the left field wall for his 2nd homer and first career grand slam. He also walked in the game and scored twice. Septimo reached base 4 times on 2 hits and 2 walks and scored 3 runs, while Ciriaco was 2-5 with 2 runs scored.
Adam Howard, in his 2nd start, pitched 3 innings, allowing a run on 5 hits. He struck out 3 and walked 2. With his arm still being stretched out after pitching exclusively from the bullpen, the win went once again to Ryan Doherty who pitched 2 innings and allowed 2 unearned runs. Doherty also pitched in relief of Howard in his last start and got the win then. Doherty is now 3-0, and after giving up 6 earned runs in his first 3 appearances (4 innings), he has only given up 1 earned run in his last 8 games spanning 15 innings; lowering his ERA to 3.32. He has struck out 22 in 19 innings while walking

whozurmomma

One smart momma
Reaction score
"They walked him intentionally,"

Now that says quite a lot about Justin's abilities and the fact that other managers recognize them as well. I wonder if there is any chance they will bring him up to Lancaster soon ... guess I would have to look at the outfield in Lancaster and Tennessee to see if there is any room. They moved Avlas from behind the dish and he is playing several roles, often in the outfield. I know (from my perspective) that we could probably use some defensive talent in left field in Lancaster ... the guys who are playing there (Brito and Burgess) can hit but defensively, Brito is better at first and Burgess is average at best anywhere. Right now Chris Rahl has been in center and Carlos G in right (tho Carlos was in center the other day :confused: ) ... so am not sure where they would put Justin. But, IMHO I am sure 'they' will find a place for Justin somewhere.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05