Justin Upton Thread

AZZenny

Reaction score
Oh man Oh man...I am just SALIVATING over the coming outfield AND infield!!

Now...if we can only generate some starting pitching, 2007-08-09-10 etc. are looking like a lot of fun.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still contend that the best case scenario would be to have both Upton and Drew serve as the Dbacks long-term Double Play combo with Quentin playing LF, Young in CF, and perhaps Carlos Gonzalez in RF.....

What's interesting to note... if theyre grooming Upton to play RF.. then who is their long-term 2B solution after Hudson's contract expires? I guess that suggests that the Dbacks are very impressed w/the development of Alberto Callaspo who has immense potential.....

Obviously... they still need some pitching prospects with only Mock and Owings still relatively close with Shappi not too far behind... It's unfortuante that it seems Chico and the former "Adriano Rosario" not progressing any further and the constant injury woes of Matt Tora......

I wonder if they'll eventually trade someone like D'Antona or perhaps Zeringue to net some decent starting pitching prospects...

I know the Dbacks plan on investing heavily in '06-'07 pitching FA market, but it's always the best to develop your own pitching... just look at the Athletics and Marlins have done over the past couple of decades.. the Cubs (if they could have avoided injury) as well...... thats the model right there....
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/...s D'Antona&pos=3B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=452202

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
I still contend that the best case scenario would be to have both Upton and Drew serve as the Dbacks long-term Double Play combo with Quentin playing LF, Young in CF, and perhaps Carlos Gonzalez in RF.....
Since they're moving Upton to CF, I'm content to just let the three best players rise to the surface. If all 4 pan out (which is probably not likely) then we can use one as a piece to get some good pitchers.

KLL said:
What's interesting to note... if theyre grooming Upton to play RF.. then who is their long-term 2B solution after Hudson's contract expires? I guess that suggests that the Dbacks are very impressed w/the development of Alberto Callaspo who has immense potential.....
I never viewed Upton at 2B as an option. SS and CF are glamour positions that get paid more. For poltical reasons, star players get to stay at those positions.

KLL said:
I wonder if they'll eventually trade someone like D'Antona or perhaps Zeringue to net some decent starting pitching prospects...
Not going to happen. If anything they trade real prospects (D'Antona and Zeringue have little value) for major league pitchers.

KLL said:
I know the Dbacks plan on investing heavily in '06-'07 pitching FA market, but it's always the best to develop your own pitching... just look at the Athletics and Marlins have done over the past couple of decades.. the Cubs (if they could have avoided injury) as well...... thats the model right there....
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/...s D'Antona&pos=3B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=452202

If the Dbacks lineup pans out, then they can afford to spend $$$ on pitching at least until they have to start paying big $$$ in arbitration. If the Dbacks are lucky enough to reach the point where they can't afford to keep certain players, then they trade them for almost ready prospects (this is exactly what the A's do).

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nm132 said:
Since they're moving Upton to CF, I'm content to just let the three best players rise to the surface. If all 4 pan out (which is probably not likely) then we can use one as a piece to get some good pitchers.

Unfortunately.. I think all this excitement is moot about the prospects until Melvin is terminated... I just feel he's horrid w/younger prospects (doesnt matter the magnitude) and will hinder all of them a great deal.... He just isnt too patient w/them since he's mainly a veteran oriented manager....

I believe out of all of them.. Quentin would be the most likely traded since he doesnt possess the combo of speed/power that Young does and isnt as multi-dimensional as Upton and Drew are...

I'm against converting Upton at this time into a CF because it might detract away from his progess in other areas.... I hate when a player goes through that transition since it typically backfires somehow.... Instead of letting him establish himself at his natural position, you're making his ascension through the ranks a lot more difficult than it should be and he will begin pressing too much in the process.....and it would ultimately cause him to better himself offensively and learn all the other necessarily fundamentals....

nm132 said:
I never viewed Upton at 2B as an option. SS and CF are glamour positions that get paid more. For poltical reasons, star players get to stay at those positions.

I beg to differ about 2nd base not being a "glamour" position... Well. perhaps it wasnt until the likes of Roberto Alomar, Jeff Kent and then Alfonso Soriano revolutionalized the position and then...look at the emergence of the newer breed since.. such as Weeks, Cano, Iguchi, Utley, Cantu..etc.. have catapulted that position into the limelight.....

I just feel Drew's best position is SS and there's no way whatsoever you'd also affect his development by having him switch to another position.....

Just imagining have those 2 being in the middle of your IF for 5+ years makes one salivate...... It would be poetry in motion...... I witnessed that w/Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker while I was growing-up and was always in awe.......

nm132 said:
Not going to happen. If anything they trade real prospects (D'Antona and Zeringue have little value) for major league pitchers.

I pretty much meant using D'Antona or Zeringue as part of a trade package to bring in some better pitching.. although.. perhaps they can attract some mid-range pitching prospect that Cintron did......True.. Cintron accomplished more at the ML level, but those 2 have a far better upside to them.....

nm132 said:
If the Dbacks lineup pans out, then they can afford to spend $$$ on pitching at least until they have to start paying big $$$ in arbitration. If the Dbacks are lucky enough to reach the point where they can't afford to keep certain players, then they trade them for almost ready prospects (this is exactly what the A's do).

Money won't eventually matter since all those deferred contracts will be off the book and I feel that Moorad and Co. will increase their payrol cap up to around $85 mil, especially if that means that they can remain competitive and win for several years and generate more revenue by selling out the stadium with more frequency.. then of course... get a better television contract, and of course winning comes increased interest in merchandise and such....... I know many are concerned that they will trade those players away once their arbritration eligible, but I just dont see the Dbacks resorting to the extremes that the Marlins, Athletics, and perhaps what the Indians did at one time.... I feel they will plan accordingly and always be fiscally responsible.....

They're in the ideal payroll situation now and I know that they've planned ahead..especially this offseason by adding some stop-gap players at bargain prices to make sure that they will have enough to vest long-term in this amazing crop of young talent that they have soaring-up now....

AZZenny

Reaction score
I'm relieved they are moving Upton now -- it sounds like CF is his future, and if they make the decision and leave him there, it won't take away from anything. He was expected to work mainly on defense this year anyhow, but now at a less complex position -- if anything he'll be able to progress faster on other areas.

A lot of scouts still consider Carlos Quentin the prototype RF, so not sure why you're down on him. His upside is higher than Chris Young's, IMO. Believe me, the guy has got superb discipline and a ton of power, and excellent defensive instincts. He's got average speed on the bases, but he's smart. Especially if Upton is patrolling the CF, unless Young really blows people away, he might have a year in CF next year and then get moved to LF for a year or traded -- they'll keep the best, if that's a clear decision, but all things equal on the field, Quentin's clock has not started running and Young's has, and they will tend to keep homegrowns rather than acquired in trade.

Chris Carter could become a very good trade to an AL team. Brian Barden either will become a strong back-up 3B-SS or if he continues to blossom as he has since late last season, he could be valuable in trade, too. Miguel Montero could eventually back up or replace Snyder as catcher if he continues to progress. We also have some pretty good young IF prospects down the line; one or more may work out.

I want BoMel gone, too, and I have a sneaking suspicion Byrnes declined to even discuss contract extension this spring for some reason. :doi: He's not good with kids partly because he plays such obvious favorites -- CJ struggled and got irresponsibly sat, Snyder was as bad or worse and played, Bruney -- don't get me started --

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
His upside is higher than Chris Young's,

Not sure if this is exactly true. Young has been considered a major steal for the Diamondbacks from many writers both locally and nationally. Here's one, from Dayn Perry, who is a writer from FOXSPORTS.NET, who ranks him the third rated prospect, behind Delmon Young and Brandon Wood. Here is the blurb:

3. Chris Young, OF, Diamondbacks, 22

Acquired: 16th round, 2001, Bellaire H.S. (Bellaire, Texas) (by White Sox)

Young, who came to the Snakes in the Javier Vazquez trade this past off-season, is the most underrated prospect in the game. He doesn't get the attention he should mostly because he doesn't hit for high averages, and he strikes out a bit too much. But here's what he can do: hit for power, draw walks at a nice clip, run the bases extremely well and provide excellent defense in center. Last season, Young hit .277 AVG/.377 OBP/.545 SLG at pitcher-friendly AA-Birmingham despite skipping over the High-A level entirely. At present, Young is sidelined with a wrist injury, but expect him to take over in center in Arizona at some point in the second half. In terms of upside, Young could be a healthy Eric Davis. Yeah, he's that promising.

Something to look forward to, hopefully as soon as the All star break....

Other D-Backs on the List:

12. Justin Upton, SS, Diamondbacks, 18

Acquired: 1st round, 2005, Great Bridge HS (Chesapeake, VA)

Upton, the top overall pick last year, has yet to log a professional plate appearance, but his gifts are unassailable. He has it all — speed, power, ability to hit for average, command of the strike zone, instincts, intelligence, work ethic. Upton's only 18, but he'll move through the system very quickly. At short, he has a powerful arm and good range, but his hands need softening. The Snakes will have to determine whether he or Stephen Drew sticks at short. Either way, Upton's a future star. He's got the most complete collection of tools since Alex Rodriguez, and he'll top this list next year.

23. Stephen Drew, SS, Diamondbacks, 23

Acquired: 1st round, 2004, Florida State

Drew has a broad array of tools, the most impressive of which is his ability to hit for average and power. He runs the bases well and is a capable defender at short. In the bigs, he'll likely flash more doubles power than homer power, but he profiles as a .300 hitter who commands the strike zone. Drew struggled badly in 2005 after a late-season promotion to AA-Tennessee, but you can expect him to get back on track this year. Drew could wind up in center if Justin Upton proves to be a better defensive shortstop.

34. Carlos Quentin, OF, Diamondbacks, 23
Acquired: 1st round, 2003, Stanford

Quentin hits to all fields, a solid eye at the plate, contact-hitting skills and good defense in right. At this point, his shortcoming is that his power numbers aren't that impressive in light of Arizona's wildly hitter-friendly system. Whether he's a future All-Star or merely an adequate regular will be determined by whether his power stroke translates to the majors.

48. Dustin Nippert, RHP, Diamondbacks, 24
Acquired: 15th round, 2002, West Virginia U.

Nippert's numbers last season don't all that impressive at first blush, but it was his rebound season after undergoing Tommy John surgery in mid 2004. When healthy, Nippert pounds the zone with a mid-90s fastball, hammer curve and passable changeup. Expect better numbers from him 2006 now that he's further removed from major surgery. Nippert will likely open the year at Triple-A Tucson, but don't be surprised if he's a part of the Arizona rotation for good by the All-Star break.

56. Conor Jackson, 1B, Diamondbacks, 23
Acquired: 1st round, 2003, Cal-Berkeley

Jackson's command of the strike zone and on-base skills are beyond reproach (69 walks vs. 32 strikeouts last season at AAA-Tucson, career minor league OBP of .423). However, if there's a reason for skepticism, it's in Jackson's raw power numbers. The D-Backs have a ridiculously hitter-friendly collection of minor league parks, and Jackson's power production in that context isn't so impressive. That's especially the case now that he's a first baseman. He'll get on base at the majors, but his power may be merely average for his position. Jackson will be a good player at the highest level, but not a great one.

66. Garret Mock, RHP, Diamondbacks, 22
Acquired: 3rd round, 2004. U. of Houston

Mock suffered a broken ankle during his junior season at Houston, which caused him to fall to the third round. But he's better than that. He sports a mid-90s fastball, plus a cutter and a pair of promising breaking pitches. Mock's shown good control thus far and solid strikeout rates, and his 4.18 ERA from last season isn't bad once you consider that High-A Lancaster is one of the best hitter's parks around. Expect a big year from him in 2006 in the Texas League. Long-term, he could wind up as a strong No. 2 starter in the bigs.

Also read this article, which explains why the Diamondbacks have by far the best farm system in the league. It's amazing what Rizzo has done, with others involved of course.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5418188

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Also read this article, which explains why the Diamondbacks have by far the best farm system in the league. It's amazing what Rizzo has done, with others involved of course.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5418188
Nice article. Putting Young at #3 is higher than where he is elsewhere. Dayn Perry deserves credit for putting up his own opinion and not making a list based on consensus among other sources.

Here's the blurb for Carlos Gonzales:
36. Carlos Gonzales, OF, Diamondbacks, 20
Acquired: Non-drafted free agent, 2002, Venezuela
Gonzales last season was generally younger than his peer group in the Midwest League, but he still managed to win MVP for the circuit. He produced a batting line of .307 AVG/.371 OBP/.489 SLG, and one-third of his hits went for extra bases. Gonzales made strides with his plate discipline last season, and he also plays a nifty right field. He's one to watch next season, and he'll put up big power numbers once his body fills out.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Chris Carter could become a very good trade to an AL team.
Agreed. I don't know why he does he doesn't get more credit. He's done nothing more than hit very well at every level (including .448 during spring training).

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
I'm relieved they are moving Upton now -- it sounds like CF is his future, and if they make the decision and leave him there, it won't take away from anything. He was expected to work mainly on defense this year anyhow, but now at a less complex position -- if anything he'll be able to progress faster on other areas.

Perhaps I did overlook something.. that Upton is still 18 years-old, so converting him into a CF at this stage isnt that much of a major risk.... I guess I was reflecting on several other touted players who were initally drafted out college that played at a high level of competition for a few years exclusively at one particular position, but then suddenly to provide him a cleaner/quicker path to the Major League they switched his position and inhibited his development.....

AZZenny said:
A lot of scouts still consider Carlos Quentin the prototype RF, so not sure why you're down on him. His upside is higher than Chris Young's, IMO. Believe me, the guy has got superb discipline and a ton of power, and excellent defensive instincts. He's got average speed on the bases, but he's smart. Especially if Upton is patrolling the CF, unless Young really blows people away, he might have a year in CF next year and then get moved to LF for a year or traded -- they'll keep the best, if that's a clear decision, but all things equal on the field, Quentin's clock has not started running and Young's has, and they will tend to keep homegrowns rather than acquired in trade.

I dont necessarily mean to seem completely down on Quentin, but this year will be the ultimate test for him....At least he made the transition from El Paso (where all stats tend to get inflated) to Tucson quite well....so he proved his earlier production was no fluke... I just hope though that he doesnt develop the pull-mentality once he's promoted to the "Show".....

I feel in regards to Young... I know I'm going to use a term that is overly used and one I despise beyond belief... but he's the 'legit 5-tool player possessing that sheer awesome power with that blend of speed is unreal... he can be one of those game changers for years to come, but... imagine.. we're debating who has better upside between Quentin and Young which is truely amazing since it's unreal what potential they both have..and some even still untapped... it's just that speed of Young is a dimension that the Dbacks are dire need of... Unfortunately their other hopes of speed regressed offensively or had no patience to begin with... Dont want any more Luis Terrero's..and it's dreadful that Marland Williams has never become disciplined.... Just.. the Dbacks already have several power hitting prospects..and Quentin hopefully can transition into the Majors like he has all throughout his Minor League career...his ability to take pitches may set him ahead of the others..... I mean.. we all hyped the "Babybacks"... true though.. most werent top draft choices, but dont want any false hopes.. Also.. dont want to see this prospects falter like Scott Hairston has, but Brenly was just to blame for that than anyone and now Melvin doesnt make any matters better.. by showcasing him in LF this Spring Training, they're trying to make him even more of an attractive trade bait...

AZZenny said:
Chris Carter could become a very good trade to an AL team. Brian Barden either will become a strong back-up 3B-SS or if he continues to blossom as he has since late last season, he could be valuable in trade, too. Miguel Montero could eventually back up or replace Snyder as catcher if he continues to progress. We also have some pretty good young IF prospects down the line; one or more may work out.

Also, Jerry Gil could be added to that list of players who could probably net some decent pitching prospects in return.. he's still young, has power and some speed, but is blocked by the current stop-gaps and Drew and the other middle IF prospects will soon surpass him.. or he could be another answer for 2B if they figure Upton to play the OF......

AZZenny said:
I want BoMel gone, too, and I have a sneaking suspicion Byrnes declined to even discuss contract extension this spring for some reason. :doi: He's not good with kids partly because he plays such obvious favorites -- CJ struggled and got irresponsibly sat, Snyder was as bad or worse and played, Bruney -- don't get me started --

I must bump-up that "Lous Views" thread from last year because I have a feeling we'll be referring to that on several occasions.... They absolutely have no vote of confidence in him, so he's essentially in a lame-duck situation.. if they get off to a horrid start, he'll be gone by early-mid June... they probably will bring in someone like Tosca on interim basis since he does have some previous ML managerial experience....but.. then the long-term situation will be heavily though-out by the braintrust.. oh.. I shudder to think that it could be Mark Grace, but dont envision that since he seems to be closer to the veterans as well... I really hope for either Matt Williams or Will Clark since they would be perfect..... I must admit..... I still think what could have been if Wally Backman didnt have such a terrible off-the-field life, because he would be ideal beyond belief....

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2006 MiLB rosters released:
Tucson: http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=549&stn=true&sid=t549
Enrique Gonzalez is in AAA. Jerry Gil isn't listed but I am pretty sure he'll be there.

Tennessee: http://smokiesbaseball.com/news/news.asp?newsId=43
Some interesting pitchers (Mock, Owings, Pena). Ross Ohlendorf (former 4th round pick) is up from SB which is a surprise given his inconsistency last year. He does have a pretty good fastball though. Offense could be good if D'Antona and Zeringue start playing up to their draft status. Surprises are Alberto Gonzales and Augie Murillo up from South Bend.

Lancaster: http://www.jethawks.com/team/roster/
Pretty good pitching (AJ Shappi, Matt Chico, Matt Green, Kellen Raab, Greg Smith, Jared Doyle (former 3rd rounder but missed last season), Matt Elliott) and some potential on offense with Carlos Gonzales, Cesar Nicolas and a few other interesting players (Ford, Bonifacio, Burgess, Milons, Rahl).

South Bend: http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=550
South Bend is going to suck (even with Upton). They do have Orlando Mercado, Frank Curreri (who got a $200,000 bonus but missed last season), Ryan Schreppel, and Ryan Doherty. Other than that, I don't see any other guys with much upside or any kind of track record.

No sign of Koley Kolberg which I guess validates the rumors of his departure. NeighborBALL is nowhere to be seen (I'm guessing he'll be in extended ST trying to learn how to throw strikes before getting another shot in Missoula or Yakima).

AZZenny

Reaction score
Baseball America has Justin #2 overall, Drew #5, Conor #17, CQ #20, and Young #23, in our #1 ranked Farm system :mrgreen: for what it's worth.

I've seen Carlos enough to be extremely impressed -- just haven't seen Young yet. Don't forget, he's only played AA ball (I thought he'd been called up briefly, but I was wrong.) so far. BA also said (last year) that Young's arm strength is 'below average,' and it will take some work to 'smooth out the rough edges.' One thing about CQ -- the dude is smooth already.

Looking at both guys' AA records, CQ had a significantly better avg and OBP, almost as many HR, a few more rbis, more runs. He is a far more disciplined hitter with almost as much power and as good defense -- but not as fleet of foot, no question.

I suspect Josh 'God' Byrnes has some ideas in mind about a new manager, and I just betcha it ain't Mark Grace or any other in-house or retread.

"We met with Justin, his representatives, his family and just really put our heads together," Diamondbacks farm director A.J. Hinch said. "He's such a physically gifted player, that we felt the move would only increase the development of the bat and hasten his path from level to level.

"We felt that this was the best move to keep him advancing at the rate he needs to as he moves through the minor leagues. It was a collaborative effort with everyone involved and Justin is completely comfortable with the move. We want him to stay in the middle of the field and this gives us a track to do that in our minds."

When Upton went No. 1 overall in the 2005 draft, he and older brother B.J. (the No. 2 overall pick by the Devil Rays in 2002) became the highest-selected siblings in draft history. After Arizona chose him, Upton held out until January before signing for a $6.1 million bonus, shattering the previous draft record of $5.3 million set by Joe Borchard in 2000. The Diamondbacks talked about keeping him at shortstop, but in the end his first professional game will come as an outfielder.

Heading into last year's draft there was plenty of debate about which position Upton was better suited for. Scouts said he had the physical tools to play shortstop, and he showed clean actions, but his arm was sometimes erratic in high school, and he needed to develop more consistent mechanics. As a center fielder, Upton's overall athleticism, 80 speed on the 20-to-80 scouting scale and plus arm should quickly make him an above-average defender.

Upton batted .500 in 14 at-bats in big league camp this spring, and quickly became known for his presence and demeanor among the major leaguers.

"He really held his own and we were very impressed," Hinch said. "He's such a special player and we saw that every day of camp. The injury is nothing serious, but we're going to be cautious. And when he comes back, we feel like this is the best move for everyone involved."

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I wonder where last years supplemental first rounder Matt Torra is starting out, I dont see him on any of the rosters.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Hmmm... I wonder where last years supplemental first rounder Matt Torra is starting out, I dont see him on any of the rosters.
He's still recovering from surgery.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
IIRC.... Torra sustained a severe injury last season, but I havent heard any updates about him since..... I was hoping he would progress quickly because he can be a solid top of rotation starter....

What is it though w/the Dbacks and their heralded pitching prospects? Why did the likes of Gosling and Patterson not work-out here? Why were they so quick to trade Halsey? Then.... it seems Chico and Tony Pena are following the same course....

As far as Neighborgall. he's still listed on Missoula's official site, but dont know how updated that is...

One pitcher to look forward to might be Bill Murphy (who they got in part of the Steve Finley trade)... He's currently pitching in Tucson and could be the 1st one to replace Muholland as the lefty in the bullpen.. or could still be used as an emergency starter.. He was once highly regarded and I dont see how he still shouldnt be.....

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.berkshireeagle.com/sports/ci_3664597
Torra hoping for bounce-back season
By Howard Herman, Berkshire Eagle Staff

Sunday, April 02
The first nine months of Matt Torra's professional baseball career haven't gone the way the Pittsfield High graduate might have planned. But the right-handed pitcher's goal remains the same: making it to the majors.
"My big focus is getting my arm back to 100 percent and showing the Diamondbacks that I have the stuff to compete at (the major-league) level," he said.

Torra, who was drafted in the first round, 31st overall, by the Arizona Diamondbacks out of the University of Massachusetts in June 2005, threw only 10 innings in short-season Class A ball before the D-backs ended his season Aug. 2 because of biceps tendinitis.

Less than two months later, Torra underwent surgery to repair a small tear in the labrum of his pitching shoulder.

"My throwing program is going very well," said Torra, 21, who is working out at the Diamondbacks' spring-training camp in Tucson with the team's minor-leaguers. "I'm going to be on the mound in about a month, throwing bullpen (sessions)."

Torra started throwing in January, originally 75 times from just 30 feet. More recently, he's been making 100 throws from about 75 feet, and will continue moving back 15 feet until he reaches 120. At that point, Torra said he'll return to the mound.

"When you start throwing, you have the scar tissue you have to break up," Torra, said. "There are some aches and pains, and I needed to rest a couple of times."

Torra said the plan is for him to stay in Tucson after the full-season minor-league teams break camp. He said he eventually expects to be assigned to one of the Diamondbacks' two full-season Class A teams: South Bend of the Midwest League or Lancaster of the California League.

"The idea is to have me throw in a few games in extended (spring training), and I should be able to jump into the rotation wherever I go," he said.

Because 2005 was basically a lost year for Torra, it's feasible he could be sent back to short-season Class A to make up for lost time.

But Torra said he doesn't think that will happen.

"I'm pretty confident I'll go to South Bend or Lancaster, but I'm not ruling anything out," he said.

Torra's professional career started after his stellar junior season at

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UMass. He was 6-3 with a 1.14 earned-run average there. He pitched 94 2/3 innings, striking out 111 and walking just 16.

The Diamondbacks took him as a supplemental first-round pick, and he was assigned to Yakima (Wash.) of the short-season Class A Northwest League.

He slowly worked into the rotation there, as he pitched in five games and started two. In his final start, Torra gave up an unearned run on four hits, walked one, and struck out five in four innings. Torra's next start was scheduled for Aug. 7, but he was shut down then with tendinitis.

"I've never had to go through it before," Torra said of the long period of inactivity. "The only frustrating thing is seeing everybody else participate in spring-training games."

And although Torra hasn't been pitching this spring, he has been working out with the Lancaster team. Interestingly, Lancaster's pitching coach is Jeff Pico, who pitched for the Pittsfield Cubs in 1988.

"We do a lot more conditioning," Torra said. "We got a new strength coordinator last year, and the Diamondbacks really emphasize strengthening your core. They're not as concerned about lifting as they are about maintaining flexibility."

Torra has been living in Tucson with former UMass teammate Frank Curreri, a catcher who played in only 12 games for a Diamondbacks farm club in 2004 before being injured. Torra said both players could be assigned to the same minor-league club.

In the meantime, Torra said he didn't think his injury would cause a major delay in his progress. He hasn't set a timetable for advancing in the organization or possibly making the majors.

"The Diamondbacks told me to go with how my arm feels and don't rush it," he said. "What I do at the end of this season will determine what happens next year."

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
As far as Neighborgall. he's still listed on Missoula's official site, but dont know how updated that is...
That's from last season. Short season leagues don't start until June. My guess is that he didn't pitch well enough in spring training, so rather than have him suck in South Bend he'll work in the instructional league.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nm132 said:
That's from last season. Short season leagues don't start until June. My guess is that he didn't pitch well enough in spring training, so rather than have him suck in South Bend he'll work in the instructional league.

I just wish that he had a Crash Davis and Annie Savoy to take him under his wings!!!!! :)

Seriously.. just imagine if he could overcome his control problems with that velocity.... But.. do the Dbacks lack in the pitching coaches throughout their entire organization? It just seems that Webb and Valverde are the only "homegrown" pitchers who climbed throughout the orgainzational ladder and still managed to pitch well for the parent club... But.. then.. there's Gosling, Patterson, Capuano, and a few others that left.... and in the latter cases received better instruction and improved......

I hope Byrnes evaluates everything and will have better coaching in place soon or else most of these prospects wont mount to anything....

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I didn't know that about Hamilton. Wow.

Delmon Young

Rookie
Reaction score
krepitch said:
I didn't know that about Hamilton. Wow.

They came out with a story about him a few years ago in ESPN The Magazine. Technically, he could still get his career back on track as he's only 25, but it's extremely unlikely at this juncture. He was supposed to be the next Griffey, but obviously, that didn't pan out. I went to a game of his once where he hit a 500 foot HR, good times.