keep the third pick, draft Fitz

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Nothing is for sure in the draft but the top ten players usually offer less risk than any second rounder. I have a feeling that trading will be done on picks: 1 because the Chargers have Brees and still suffer from the Leaf episode and 2 because Al Davis loves the attention given by trading and can still get Roy Williams or a Mike Williams player later on. The Cards should have Fitz there at three and should just draft the guy. Trading down always has the chance of blowing up right in your face. I believe in Green, he likes Fitz so lets just draft him and bypass the potential disaster a trade down could cause. KEEP the third pick!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jetstream Green said:
Nothing is for sure in the draft but the top ten players usually offer less risk than any second rounder. I have a feeling that trading will be done on picks: 1 because the Chargers have Brees and still suffer from the Leaf episode and 2 because Al Davis loves the attention given by trading and can still get Roy Williams or a Mike Williams player later on. The Cards should have Fitz there at three and should just draft the guy. Trading down always has the chance of blowing up right in your face. I believe in Green, he likes Fitz so lets just draft him and bypass the potential disaster a trade down could cause. KEEP the third pick!
Fitz may not be there.

Plus, I'm not convinced that's the right pick fpr the Cardinals. If we can get Clevelands first and second round picks plus a player, I'd be esctatic. Blue chip and #7, and great talent at #s 33 and 38. :thumbup:

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
Pariah said:
Fitz may not be there.

Plus, I'm not convinced that's the right pick fpr the Cardinals. If we can get Clevelands first and second round picks plus a player, I'd be esctatic. Blue chip and #7, and great talent at #s 33 and 38. :thumbup:
I would love that!!!

Attachments

• 64714-slap.gif
    64714-slap.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 129

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
If

Pariah said:
Fitz may not be there.

Do you think Cleveland will give up their first and second rounder and Northcutt for our 3rd overall?

If they will OK.

I don't think they will.

If they don't and we do something like Northcutt and a 2nd or even Northcutt and just a 1st we get screwed again.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Sorry

I just looked at a bunch a posts with the Cards trading like crazy and it scared the hell out of me. A trade with the Browns fine, I wouldn't even want any of their player... just that 7th pick and their second rounder. If so, I would pick Sean Taylor or then R.Williams or M.Williams if they are still there. Trading past number 7 would make me sick in the stomach... WE NEED POTENTIAL PLAYMAKERS!!!

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Plus, I'm not convinced that's the right pick for the Cardinals. If we can get Clevelands first and second round picks plus a player, I'd be esctatic. Blue chip and #7, and great talent at #s 33 and 38. :thumbup:

Thank you for writing that. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only friggin person who feels this way. (I know that I'm not). If we trade down to #7 we still get someone that would be worthy of the #3 pick, more picks & a lower salery (signing bonus) for our #1. This isn't like last year. We can move 4 spots and still have a powerful choice.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is always a built-in bias among hard-core fans to deal up or down rather than to stand pat. (It adds to the excitement and gives us all the chance to show how smart we are).

Let us not forget, however, that the prime objective of the Draft is not "to have an entertaining draft" but to improve our team as much as possible

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Jetstream Green said:
I just looked at a bunch a posts with the Cards trading like crazy and it scared the hell out of me. A trade with the Browns fine, I wouldn't even want any of their player... just that 7th pick and their second rounder. If so, I would pick Sean Taylor or then R.Williams or M.Williams if they are still there. Trading past number 7 would make me sick in the stomach... WE NEED POTENTIAL PLAYMAKERS!!!

Agreed Jetstream. I'm in favor of trading down but, as you pointed out, not past 7.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm in total agreement with you Jeff, stay at #3 and draft the best available player on the board. I hope it is Fitzgerald. However worse case scenerio is not to go beyond #7 and make sure if we trade with Cleveland that it includes their 2nd rounder.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Better to stay put at 3

Funny when people start talking about trading down you start hearing the dreaded "I hope this" and "I hope that". Screw these ifs! (that's kinda funny). I don't want to hope, I want to be safe knowing we took a player at three and the chances of him making a difference are better than 2 second rounders making more of a difference.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
It's THE DEEPEST WR class, maybe ever. With all their needs you guys wan't to focus in on that first? Doesn't make sence. This is not last year!

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I would be in favor of going to 7 for a player and picks and then on to 11 but only if Pitts sends us there 2nd and Burress as our big deep threat. At the end of the day we would have Burress, 11, and Cle & Pitts 2nd rd. It would be a steal so most likely it wouldn't happen.

seesred

Reaction score
Drafting Fitz if he is there is my hope. If not I love the idea of trading down only with the Browns to get Northcut, #7 and a second. If that happens we have three wide outs in Johnson, Northcut and Quan to fit Greens main thrust and we get an extra defensive player Corner or D- line that could make a big difference in how we play.

If Green thinks it's right I believe in him.

GBR

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
There is always a built-in bias among hard-core fans to deal up or down rather than to stand pat. (It adds to the excitement and gives us all the chance to show how smart we are).

Let us not forget, however, that the prime objective of the Draft is not "to have an entertaining draft" but to improve our team as much as possible
Oooooh... JeffGollin has seen the light!! :notworthy

Agree with you 110%! :thumbup:

MadRob

Rookie
Reaction score
Even if any team offered every draft pick for the next two years, Green would not trade if Fitz is there at #3.... If he is not there, who knows??

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here's a "curve"

If Fitz' DOES get drafted by OAK.--signed for say (4) yrs.-- if I'm Fitz', when the contract is up, I'm calling Coach Green. I know we all have this "WIN NOW"--mantra, and rightly so. BUT in (4) years he'll be well on his way to being All-Pro ever year. So we'll get delayed-gratification instead of instant. I know this is a wild-thought but I really am preparing in case we don't get him. Other players in the draft?? Sure. BUT I believe 100% that Fitz' is the real deal. I think M. Williams may be a bust. College is NOT the NFL. GO CARDS!!

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Stout said:
Stay at #3...draft Big Ben.

Personally, my choice also. I'm just resigned to the idea that Denny doesn't want to draft a QB.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
earthsci said:
Personally, my choice also. I'm just resigned to the idea that Denny doesn't want to draft a QB.

Agree earthsci.

Love your Devo avatar.

Dare to be stupid.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jetstream Green said:
Funny when people start talking about trading down you start hearing the dreaded "I hope this" and "I hope that". Screw these ifs! (that's kinda funny). I don't want to hope, I want to be safe knowing we took a player at three and the chances of him making a difference are better than 2 second rounders making more of a difference.

here's the rub, staying put only makes sense if the player you want won't be there at 7. Let's say Fitzgerald is gone, "BPA" is going to be between Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Sean Taylor and probably Winslow because the assumption is Cleveland is taking Gallery at 3, and we will NOT take a QB in round one(so Ben and Rivers are off our board in round 1).

So you do the math, Giants probably take Ben although I read yesterday they really like Udeze, I think 4 is too high for him. Washington takes Winslow , Detroit or New England(trade) takes Taylor. That leaves us sitting at 7 with at best both Williams, at worst one of them(if one goes earlier). So we still get the guy we want at 7, pay less, and get more picks out of it.

If San Diego takes Manning and the Raiders take Fitz, the only logical picks at 3 are Taylor or Gallery, because it's the only guy in the draft where the dropoff from him to the next best at the position is huge. So if you don't want Taylor or Gallery, you HAVE to move down. THe only way to do better is the double swindle where we swap spots with the giants and still get picks
AND wind up high enough to get Taylor. IN that scenario you get the guy you wanted at 3, one slot lower, AND get a pick or more.

I fully expect if the Raiders take Fitzgerald, we're moving down.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NeverSayDieFan said:
If Fitz' DOES get drafted by OAK.--signed for say (4) yrs.-- if I'm Fitz', when the contract is up, I'm calling Coach Green. I know we all have this "WIN NOW"--mantra, and rightly so. BUT in (4) years he'll be well on his way to being All-Pro ever year. So we'll get delayed-gratification instead of instant. I know this is a wild-thought but I really am preparing in case we don't get him. Other players in the draft?? Sure. BUT I believe 100% that Fitz' is the real deal. I think M. Williams may be a bust. College is NOT the NFL. GO CARDS!!

I have a question on why you say college is NOT the NFL for Williams, but are so sure about Fitzgerald?

The biggest question I have on LF is that I think he's MUCH closer to his "ceiling" than the other WR's in this draft even though he only played 2 years of college. he's very polished and will likely contribute more THIS year than MW or RW or just about anybody save maybe Woods or Evans who played 4 years and are polished(RW is not polished because of where he played).

I just don't expect Fitzgerald to improve as much as MW or RW or even possibly Reggie Williams who IMHO are all better athletes.

I think they're all going to be really good pros.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Jetstream Green said:

Today's special draft issue of the Sporting News has Fitz going at number 2. They then have AZ either taking Manning or trading down. Their feeling is we have some good receivers and need other positions more than a receiver. They indicated it would be hard to pass on Manning if he is there. Batman Carol is projected in the second round because of his blazing speed and jumping ability. This issue is worth buying.