Kenyon Martin?

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
There was an article awhile back mentioning Suns interest in Kenyon Martin. I would rather have Martin than Camby and on a Suns team - a 6'9 (skilled) center is not undersized ;) Suns could always draft power center etc.

[Pick a position and Martin will defend it. Power Forward, small forward, either guard spot, center. As Martin puts it, brutally clear if not grammatically correct "I ain't never backed down from nobody."]

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by BbaLL_31
There was an article awhile back mentioning Suns interest in Kenyon Martin. I would rather have Martin than Camby and on a Suns team - a 6'9 (skilled) center is not undersized ;) Suns could always draft power center etc.

[Pick a position and Martin will defend it. Power Forward, small forward, either guard spot, center. As Martin puts it, brutally clear if not grammatically correct "I ain't never backed down from nobody."]

K Mart is a resticted free agent. Unless he forces a sign and trade, he isn't going anywhere.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Terrible idea. Bad attitude, nowhere to play. He would not be this good out west, and he plays the same position as Amare. Neither one of them should be playing center. Maybe in the East it could work, but not here.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Kmart is not a center...especially out west. Too small.

Amare is our powerforward. I'd rather have Amare than Kenyon playing the PF position.

Kenyon at SF? Possible but Marion+Zarko seem to hold the spot down. Also Kenyon would probably not play SF well considering his style of game.

Kenyon=bad attitude

OP
OP
P

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I'm not sure how good of idea it is or if David Aldridge was correct mentioning Suns interest but - Suns play Cabarkapa at PF and smallball/skillball suits Suns style regardless what we think. The year Suns had Antonio McDyess and Cliff Robinson at 4/5 was the Suns best most recent season finishing 4th in West. I just wanted to throw Martin's name out there, likewise Keon Clark - soo much talk about Kobe, Okur, Dampier, Camby etc.

scotsman13

Reaction score
martin isnt a center. he is smaller then amare in both size and wieght. he is 6'8 and 230 listed this same site a year later lists amare at 6'10 and 240. kmart is also looking for a max deal. with as much junk that marion gets on this board for his salery what would happen if you brought in another max palyer who is list productive then marion and is a back up at small forward and power forward. martins game is that if the mid range jumper or taking it to the basket on the brake. he doesnt have a good post up game but he is a good post defender. kmart isnt anywhere close to the answer that the suns are looking for.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenyon Martin would be valuable to the Phoenix Suns, but not nearly worth the maximum contract it would take to get him here.

Joe Mama

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I actually think K-Mart is a max player. (I think that there should be at least 40 max players in the NBA.) He's a bad fit for the Suns, though; he's not even that big for a PF, and his game is essentially a lesser version of Amare's.

I'm willing to try the 'small center' experiment if the Suns luck into Okafor, but I don't think it's something the team should be trying to get itself into.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by F-Dog
I actually think K-Mart is a max player. (I think that there should be at least 40 max players in the NBA.)

ANd what do you base that opinion on? 40 max players??

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin

He actually works for the NBA players union. :D

With 29 teams, soon to be 30; I suppose 40 is not a ridiculous number except that too many guys with big contracts don't deserve them. I would guess that if the luxury tax remained in place, the number of max contracts would drop to about a dozen.

Last edited:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin

My thought is that a very good player is worth a lot more to a team than two or three average players. The top teams (except San Antonio) each have at least a couple of max-type contracts on their books, and they all seem to be in fine shape financially.

Hell, the Suns are in last place, and their biggest question right now is, two max contracts or three? ;)

As OB says, the main problem right now is that there are a lot of players with big contracts who don't deserve them. I think part of that is that the luxury tax was installed just a few years ago.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by F-Dog
My thought is that a very good player is worth a lot more to a team than two or three average players. The top teams (except San Antonio) each have at least a couple of max-type contracts on their books, and they all seem to be in fine shape financially.

Hell, the Suns are in last place, and their biggest question right now is, two max contracts or three? ;)

As OB says, the main problem right now is that there are a lot of players with big contracts who don't deserve them. I think part of that is that the luxury tax was installed just a few years ago.

Even without the luxury tax, I think that many teams are questioning giving six year contracts to players who aren't super stars. Many Suns fans question whether Marion deserved the contract he got. With the cap at $45 million, having two guys at $12 million each (and rising) means two guys are almost half the cap. One injury such as happened with Googs and Penny or like Grant Hill in Orlando, and the team is doomed for the NBA life of most of the players. It is scary.

Some players are worth the risk, but most are not.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If McDyess can come back and play at 90% and resign for a reasonable price he could be a good small center.

He could be a Camby, Ratliff type center if he gets his strength back.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by devilalum
If McDyess can come back and play at 90% and resign for a reasonable price he could be a good small center.

He could be a Camby, Ratliff type center if he gets his strength back.

When playing with Amare, it would not make much difference who is supposed to be the "center". I would guess that Dice would be center on offense and would defend the better offensive oppoent.

On the other hand, he may not really be healthy. We'll see.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
When playing with Amare, it would not make much difference who is supposed to be the "center". I would guess that Dice would be center on offense and would defend the better offensive oppoent.

On the other hand, he may not really be healthy. We'll see.

And he has a really nice 15 foot jumper.