July 30, 2007
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports
You must be registered for see images

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] BOSTON -- Kevin Garnett is leaving Minnesota after the Boston Celtics agreed to acquire the All-Star forward in a multiplayer trade with the Timberwolves, a Celtics official told the Associated Press on Monday. [/FONT]
Advertisement

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Among the players who could be headed to Minnesota are forward Al Jefferson, guard Sebastian Telfair, swingman Gerald Green and center Theo Ratliff, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been completed. The official also said the Timberwolves would get at least one draft choice. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The teams still had some things to clarify with the players' contracts, but the official said that would not keep the Celtics from acquiring Garnett, although there could be a change in the players ticketed for the Timberwolves. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] There was a chance that a conference call announcing the trade would be held Monday, the official said. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Garnett, 31, has spent all of his 12 NBA seasons with Minnesota. He would get an extension of his contract, which has one year plus an option year remaining, the official said. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The Celtics had tried to get Garnett late last month, but his agent said he didn't want to go to Boston. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Since then, Boston acquired seven-time All-Star guard Ray Allen from Seattle in a draft day deal. Already with Paul Pierce, the Celtics would become instant contenders in the mediocre Atlantic Division with Garnett, even without promising forward Jefferson. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The Celtics obtained Allen and the 35th pick of the draft for guards Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak, and forward Jeff Green of Georgetown, whom they drafted with the fifth pick. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The Celtics have won just three playoff series during Pierce's nine years with them. They still have an NBA-record 16 championships, but none since 1986. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "They have no excuses, this team out there," Danny Ainge, the executive director of basketball operations, said after Allen was acquired. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Pierce, 29, led the Celtics in scoring last season but played only 47 games because of injury. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Allen, who turns 32 next month, averaged a career-high 26.4 points last season, his 11th, but underwent surgery to remove bone spurs on both ankles that required him to wear protective boots. He is expected to be ready for training camp. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006-2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
[/FONT]

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whatever, glad it is finally over.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow - ******* not getting that draft pick just screwed us in so many ways it's ridiculous.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm calling my shot right now - KG's the regular season MVP and Boston's in the NBA Finals.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, DCR, any chance Boston will now try to trade KG for Marion, Barbosa, and you?

not me. I apparently don't know melted butter, so it hurt my trade value.

Boston love chewy bacon, so maybe there is someone else we could trade.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ECF's for sure.

if healthy, I can't see anyone beating that team out East. It's the best 3 headed monster in the league - which is enough to beat anyone in the East. I just wonder who the hell else is gonna be on their roster besides those guys to round out the rest of the club to make them stand a chance against the West.

Bottom line, this is great news for the NBA. Not only does it bring star-power back to the East, but it gives them a team with a legit shot of actually being AT LEAST entertaining in the Finalsand it's one of the stories franchises in all of sports.

Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score
if healthy, I can't see anyone beating that team out East. It's the best 3 headed monster in the league - which is enough to beat anyone in the East. I just wonder who the hell else is gonna be on their roster besides those guys to round out the rest of the club to make them stand a chance against the West.

Very true they gave up quite a few guys just to get one in return so now they have a few roster spots to fill and not much cap space to use. I know someone knows this off of the top of their head but what will this put boston at in regards to the luxury tax or do we not know the specifics of everything yet??

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bottom line, this is great news for the NBA. Not only does it bring star-power back to the East, but it gives them a team with a legit shot of actually being AT LEAST entertaining in the Finalsand it's one of the stories franchises in all of sports.

Yep, and bringing in Ray Allen and KG in the same offseason. Ainge gets Exec of the year

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Ugh, hate to be a downer, but I really have doubts now about the Suns winning anything in the Nash area now. Now there's no chance at getting KG next year. :(

mribnik

Reaction score
Eh, they look good on paper, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them get bounced out of the playoffs relatively early. It also wouldn't surprise me to see them go right through the weak eastern conference.

Regardless, they should beat up on the Hawks, so I like this. :)

HooverDam

Reaction score
Ugh, hate to be a downer, but I really have doubts now about the Suns winning anything in the Nash area now. Now there's no chance at getting KG next year. :(

Good heavens people. Sure KG-Allen-Pierce is better than Stat-Marion-Bell, however Nash is leagues better than Rondo. Hill is better than whoever the Celts fifth starter will be, probably Perkins. And LB and Diaw are better than whoever the Celts will be bringing off the pine.

All of that being said, the Suns do still need to get PJ Brown. I don't want Amare to have to guard KG and get into foul trouble, though I think PJ might be too slow to cover KG.

As it stands right now, the match ups look like this:

Amare guards Perkins
Marion guards KG
Hill guards Pierce
Bell guards Allen
Nash guards Rondo

Pretty much no cross matching, I worry about Hill on Pierce (I'd rather have Marion, but obviously then Amare or Hill would have to be on KG).

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo and Ash said that it looks like both Gomes and Green are included as well as Jefferson.

God, G&A are idiots. They are speculating on problems with KG and Szerbiak being on the same team. Uh.. Hello Wally is gone.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
Gambo and Ash said that it looks like both Gomes and Green are included as well as Jefferson.

God, G&A are idiots. They are speculating on problems with KG and Szerbiak being on the same team. Uh.. Hello Wally is gone.

Co-sign.

You will never find two more un-informed people with their own radio show.

Crap like that drives me nuts.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Honestly this off season has been just terrible for our boys:( .

We really needed to win the damn thing this past year.

I am despondent.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm still unclear why the trade kicker is not applicable?
KG gets $22 million before the trade kicker.

Ratliff 11.6
Telfair 2.6
Green1.4
Jefferson 2.5
Total 18.1

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still unclear why the trade kicker is not applicable?
KG gets $22 million before the trade kicker.

Ratliff 11.6
Telfair 2.6
Green1.4
Jefferson 2.5
Total 18.1

I think Gomes is included too. It still might not match up though.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Minnesota looks good(young).

1. Foye
2. Brewer
3. Gomes
4. Jefferson
5. Blount

6. Davis
7. Green
8. Howard
9. McCants
10. Hassel
11. Hudson
12. Jaric
13. Madsen
14. Telfair
15. Griffin
16. Ratliff
17. Craig Smith?

Minnesota is not done yet. They have a lot of players. Anyone worth looking at?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05