KG traded to Celtics...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'd say their window is three years, maybe four. As for what happens afterward, they probably don't care, and they shouldn't. The chance to be a real contender is what everyone plays for.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Anyway, this is the kind of move teams make when they're serious about competing at the highest level. As opposed to, say, crying poverty and dumping several potential rotation players for nothing.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
What do you think Boston's window of opportunity is? 2 years? 3, maybe? They are going to be hamstrung when it comes to money for as long as all 3 of those vets are on the team, so they will have major problems trying to get younger players to build with. They look pretty good right now, but once 2 of those guys are retired or gone, they are going to be the worst team in the NBA.
Same as our's.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyway, this is the kind of move teams make when they're serious about competing at the highest level. As opposed to, say, crying poverty and dumping several potential rotation players for nothing.

and draft picks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked how long that run would last and then hoped to get some speculation about how they would handle that run ending.

and I answered with their fans are looking forward to a 3 year run. can someone tell me what I'm missing here?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe Minnesota would trade Garnett for Jefferson and crap.

not as hard as it would have been to believe they would take the crap package Suns fans put together.

sunsfn

Reaction score
The player can waive part or all of the trade kicker if it's necessary to make the numbers work.

This was talked about at length when the suns were in the picture, and I understood that he can only waive a small part of it or none of it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marion, Barbosa and Thomas is ten times better than Jefferson and crap.

Maybe for a team that's a playoff contender but for a team that's gonna be nowhere near the playoffs and is completely rebuilding, that trade ain't nearly enticing because a) Marion is role player with a HUGE contract and for another two years that will little to no impact on winning games on a team like that, a 6'4 combo guard like Barbs doesn't have Jefferson's value as a young stud big man (no matter how much you protest that he does) and Ratliff gets them more cap relief than Thomas, which is what they're looking for. Oh, and they get a couple other promising young players. that's what rebuilding teams want slin - to be able to build around a young big, have salary cap room and already two other lotto picks in the fold with Brewer and Foye. Not relatively non-impact guys for MAX contracts and combo guards, of which they already have.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bottom line, the Wolves just made their core Foye, Brewer and Jefferson - pretty solid lockdown of young talent at key positions. They'll likely be horrendous this season and then be able to pick up one of the stud PGs in the draft and the year after that have a good amount of salary cap room to make a run at someone and in a couple years be pretty scary. I think they did about as well as they could given the circumstances. They're not tied down to any really long contracts and they have some good young pieces, including a BIG MAN which is about the toughest piece to find in the NBA.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Kobe's got to be really pissed right about now! :thumbup:

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
Not so fast.

Boston still has a pretty darn good bench. Way better than Phoenix. Remember, GOMES is staying.

Perkins - Scalabrine - Big Baby Davis
Garnett - Gomes
Pierce - Powe
Allen - TAllen
Rondo - Pruitt

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2954127

not according to ESPN.

jebus, celtics totally gutted their team. they've got 3 studs and a bunch of pat burke clones. if KG and boston wanted to sell tickets and beat the east, well done. if they wanted to create a championship caliber team, sorry, better luck next time

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

not according to ESPN.

jebus, celtics totally gutted their team. they've got 3 studs and a bunch of pat burke clones. if KG and boston wanted to sell tickets and beat the east, well done. if they wanted to create a championship caliber team, sorry, better luck next time

they wouldn't have been able to beat the East as they were constructed yesterday so doesn't it make sense that they would make a deal to make them better? You can't win the Finals if you have no shot to get there.

HooverDam

Reaction score

not according to ESPN.

They'll be like the Suns in Nash's first year, 3 stud players and nothing else. Thats fine, after this year they will probably be able to attract free agents to come play there and hopefully Rondo will develop.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have the Celtics used their MLE? LLE? Why do people think they'd automatically be done after this deal? There's still some good role players out there who could help them round out their club.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

not according to ESPN.

I completely agree. Yes, they have a chance now to make the Finals, but I don't even see that happening. You could argue their 4-12 is as bad as anyone in the league. They still have MLE, but who is out there?

I'm not saying this is a bad move for them, I think it is a great move. They were the second worst team in the league, and now they're relevant. I just dont see all this talk about Eastern favorites.

They aren't better than Chicago, everyone writes off Miami but Wade will be healthy, Detroit has a much more complete team, etc... It's still going to be tough to get to the finals with absolutely 0 4-12.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I didn't ask if they were looking forward to a 3-year run. Of course the fans are looking forward to a run with KG on their team, however long that is. I asked how long that run would last and then hoped to get some speculation about how they would handle that run ending.

I think that it would all depend on how long they resign KG for (assuming that there is some sort of agreement in place) I doubt that KG would just dry up and become this horrible player, he might have five years left at a fairly solid level, I would think that he would be starter at power forward in the east for the next four to five years.

The real question is going to be how well Paul Pierce and Ray Allen work together. Both are scorers where Pierce has the pure jump shot and Paul Pierce can slash and take them off the dribble. It seems that both players would like the ball in their hands. I remember Pierce played with Antoine Walker when he was younger but it always seemed that they were kind of fighting over who would take the big shot. This doesn't matter if Ray Allen gets hurt again but it is worth mentioning.

I would give the celtics 5 years max considering that Ray Allen's game more depends on shooting jump shots, Paul Pierce is only 29 and KG is 31/32 but he isn't going to completely deflate as a player.

I think they really had to do something drastic because it seems that everyone agrees that Harrington is the future, they needed somebody now and KG obviously gives them a legit shot to make the Finals out of the East. If Lebron could take a team of nobodies to the Finals this team has a pretty good chance that they could be losing to the Suns in 2008.

I think these guys could give the Spurs a pretty good game. In fact, KG and Duncan would match up. Rondo and TP, probably Bowen on Ray Allen, that leaves celtics scrub with Oberto and Paul Pierce with Finley/Manu. At 29/30 I think that Pierce should dominate whoever is guarding him and take over the series.

Put me down as a Celtics fan coming out of the East.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely agree. Yes, they have a chance now to make the Finals, but I don't even see that happening. You could argue their 4-12 is as bad as anyone in the league. They still have MLE, but who is out there?

I'm not saying this is a bad move for them, I think it is a great move. They were the second worst team in the league, and now they're relevant. I just dont see all this talk about Eastern favorites.

They aren't better than Chicago, everyone writes off Miami but Wade will be healthy, Detroit has a much more complete team, etc... It's still going to be tough to get to the finals with absolutely 0 4-12.

barring injuries, I will be shocked if they don't make it to the Finals and KG isn't MVP of the league.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
barring injuries, I will be shocked if they don't make it to the Finals and KG isn't MVP of the league.

I will absolutely positively guarantee neither of those will happen. I have never been more confident in a prediction.

How are they better than a deep team in Chicago or even for that matter Detroit (who has collapsed the last two years, but after they got to ECF, and they know how to play together). Dwayne wade will be healthy, etc...

Their 4-12 is clearly the WORST in the entire league.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05