Kings @ Suns Tuesday game thread 1-16-2024

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Saw an article today about the wise thing to do is trade Grayson Allen since he’s a free agent after this season. Not sure I like that idea as we are barely hanging on by a thread this year and there is so much pressure to win now.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Saw an article today about the wise thing to do is trade Grayson Allen since he’s a free agent after this season. Not sure I like that idea as we are barely hanging on by a thread this year and there is so much pressure to win now.
He and Nurkic are the only tradeable players outside the big 3, that could possibly return anything resembling a difference maker.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be unwise. He is one of our most valuable players outside the big 3. We have his bird rights. Ishbia will “pay the man.”

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have a feeling that we may look at trading Allen and say, ooh we got a point guard! Or a defensive wing! And then 2 days later we'll be like... "You know what we need? Grayson Allen!"

I say we extend him ASAP. He is a perfect compliment to the big 3.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kings coach Mike Brown was fined $50,000 for aggressively pursuing a referee in live play during their loss to the Bucks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be unwise. He is one of our most valuable players outside the big 3. We have his bird rights. Ishbia will “pay the man.”
Even if we didn't have his Bird Rights and were due to almost surely see him leave after the season I think trading him would be the wrong move. I just don't believe we'll be able to get a player back that impacts the game to the same level Grayson does. Sure, we can find a middling PG but when Beal and Booker are both healthy, a middling PG is going to be a spectator most of the time.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
The only reason Phoenix should trade Allen is if he's already said he's not willing to resign next year at any price. Other than that, I agree, he's too valuable to the current group. He and Eric Gordon occupy very similar roles but Allen is superior in just about every way.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only reason Phoenix should trade Allen is if he's already said he's not willing to resign next year at any price. Other than that, I agree, he's too valuable to the current group. He and Eric Gordon occupy very similar roles but Allen is superior in just about every way.
Normally I'd agree with this but given our very small title window, I don't believe we should make any move that isn't designed to improve our roster in the short run. At least, not unless we're ready to throw in the towel and are prepared to start a complete rebuild.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not overly familiar with Bird Rights but I believe the Suns can only pay Allen 120% of his current salary, although they can add up to five years on a new contract.

I'd be worried another team could pay him more as an unrestricted free agent and the Suns lose him for nothing.

If this is correct, I'd be open to trading him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This doesn't sound overly encouraging about Bol Bol's injury.

Hopefully it is not long term.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not overly familiar with Bird Rights but I believe the Suns can only pay Allen 120% of his current salary, although they can add up to five years on a new contract.

I'd be worried another team could pay him more as an unrestricted free agent and the Suns lose him for nothing.

If this is correct, I'd be open to trading him.

We have his full bird rights, we can pay him as much as anyone else can.

However, we have more pressing needs and he is our only real trade piece.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuta Watanabe is a late scratch.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got him via trade, the same bird status he had with his previous team carries over to us.

Allen spent two years with the Bucks, so I'm thinking the below applies. Maybe it's enough, maybe not.

Also Allen has the right to make his own decision.

By Bob Garcia IV from Sportscasting:

Updated on May 9, 2023

The second is a designation placed on a player who spent two years with a team without departing in free agency. Depending on which is higher, teams can offer up to 175% of the player’s previous salary or 104.5% of the average league salary.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I miss JaVale McGee's fiery pregame speeches.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Allen spent two years with the Bucks, so I'm thinking the below applies. Maybe it's enough, maybe not.

Also Allen has the right to make his own decision.

By Bob Garcia IV from Sportscasting:

Updated on May 9, 2023

The second is a designation placed on a player who spent two years with a team without departing in free agency. Depending on which is higher, teams can offer up to 175% of the player’s previous salary or 104.5% of the average league salary.

He is unrestricted and can sign anywhere, that is true.

However, he has never been signed as a "free agent", his bird rights have carried over since his rookie deal. He got drafted, traded a few times, signed an extension with the Bucks, now he is here. The amount of years he's been here doesn't matter because his rights have carried over from his rookie contract and he's never signed as a free agent.

If the 125% rule applied to him he wouldn't have been able to sign the Buck's extension.

Those rules only apply to guys who's contracts were signed in free agency.

There is a nice rundown of the status of all our guys.

The 125% percent rule you can see applied there, as Okogie's minimum deal is worth more than the other dude's because it was his second season signing with us.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nurkic misses a close-in shot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Allen, he hits a corner three.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fox dribbles right through the Suns defense for a layup.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those sloppy passes will get the Suns everytime.