Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Holy cripes! You guys are falling for a realgm story to be BREAKING NEWS before Chad Ford or one of the local scribes????

Some of you are pretty gullible and eager to see Q gone.

I'll believe it when I see it.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it from a legitimate source.

Four problems with this trade:

1. Thomas was a useful piece several years ago, mainly because he had worked the officials to the point where he could get away with murder. Right now, he's 33, and he'll be getting big bucks until he's 37. I can't see the Suns committing $30m to a player who could become useless at any moment.

2. Even in his prime, Thomas shouldn't have been starting for this team--his contributions aren't worth the cost of abandoning the team's game plan and moving Marion back to SF where he's less effective. What that means is that the Suns are suddenly in the market for a swingman who can help immediately, possibly a starter. I don't see how the Suns are going to beat out the big-cap-space teams for one of those.

3. If the Suns bring in Thomas, what's the point in making promises to Diogu? To get a player who's ready to "contribute immediately" as the team's fifth big man? (If the top three bigs are Amare, Marion and Kurt Thomas, the fourth big has to have legitimate size.)

4. Doesn't Utah already own a Knicks conditional pick? (This is the easiest to overcome IMO--they could be sending the Suns' own pick back instead.)

It probably wasn't even worth the trouble to post this...oh well, that's what the offseason is all about, I suppose. :p

Kolo

Reaction score
sly fly said:
Holy cripes! You guys are falling for a realgm story to be BREAKING NEWS before Chad Ford or one of the local scribes????

Some of you are pretty gullible and eager to see Q gone.

I'll believe it when I see it.

You're missing that half of the replies say they're taking this with a grain of salt, as am I.

That said, this would be a great trade for the Suns--BC said they need a big who can shoot to give Amare room in the middle, and K. Thomas is one of the better shooting big men in the league. And I doubt he'd let Manu or TP get to the hoop w/out an elbow in the WC finals. And after looking at what guys like Foyle got last year in FA, his contract isn't bad. As much as I like Q, I'd like to see this happen.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
I believe this is bogus.....

We must examine this deal also from the Knicks stand-point...do they really have a major need for Q? Don't they already have Marbury, Crawford, Houston, and even Penny at guard? I just dont see how it is feasible for the Knicks to make this trade since theyre stacked at guard and even lack a proficient rebounder (like Thomas) themselves....

The Suns wont make any significant deals involving any of this past season's starters... all they must do is add to the framework they already have....

If this supposed trade was with any team other than New York I would agree with your post. However this is exactly the kind of deal that Isaiah Thomas would make. He is clearly a moron of a GM. I honestly can't believe New Yorkers haven't called for his head yet.

I don't know what to think of this trade. I mean if it is real I think it's a good move for next season and may be the one after. Kurt Thomas would fit very, very well with this team. He might not be able to stop the Tim Duncan's and Kevin Garnet's, but he can defend them as well as anybody on the current roster. He's good on the boards, and he is a very good pick and roll man. He's getting up there in years though. At least Q is young.

It's no secret that I was very against acquiring Q leading up to free agency last summer. Of course being the homer I am, I softened a little when they actually signed him. It helped that I was excited about the Steve Nash signing. During the regular season my feelings were up and down for Q. In the playoffs he was exactly what I expected when I did not want the Phoenix Suns to sign him. He's too streaky. For every big game he has there are a couple where he is just miserable (shooting). Of all the players on the Phoenix Suns starting lineup he is by far the easiest to replace.

That said, I don't believe this story. To me it sounds like a writer who got his first inside information and ran with it before getting any confirmation. His inside sources probably somebody who washes the New York Knicks players's jock straps.

Joe Mama

Last edited:

asudevil83

Reaction score
this is also coming from the same place that had Boozer to the Lakers as being OFFICIAL during the midseason trade bonanza last year.

i dont know what to think of this trade. it has some plusses and minuses. Kurt is 33 and still has a large contract....that's not good. BUT, he's a double double guy that we can use.

with this trade, i think the suns have bailed on Hunter.....and will opt to use the full MLE on a guy like Marshall. and they'll still draft Diogu if possible. i see our lineup as:

Amare/Thomas
Marshall?/Diogu
Marion/JJax
JJ/Barbs
Nash/Barbs

we'd still have the LLE to work with, and would also need to round out the roster with some cheapies.

asudevil83

Reaction score
KLL said:
I believe this is bogus.....

We must examine this deal also from the Knicks stand-point...do they really have a major need for Q? Don't they already have Marbury, Crawford, Houston, and even Penny at guard? I just dont see how it is feasible for the Knicks to make this trade since theyre stacked at guard and even lack a proficient rebounder (like Thomas) themselves....

The Suns wont make any significant deals involving any of this past season's starters... all they must do is add to the framework they already have....

the thing is though.....every team in the NBA can waive a player. here, the Knicks would probably waive Houston....and let Penny expire on the bench.

Crawford would then be moved to the bench to backup both Marbs and Q. it does make sense.

and Thomas will be turning 33 in October with only 3 years left on his contract....which isnt all that bad.

Last edited:

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
If for some reason this trade does go down, I don't see us drafting a big unless Ike falls to us. Most likely I think we take Francisco Garcia. There are too many big men FA's that we could use the MLE on instead.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with Kurt Thomas, we would still need to draft a backup for Amare...

At least until he learns to control his foul difficulties.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
To me it sounds like a writer who got his first inside information and ran with it before getting any confirmation. His inside sources probably somebody who washes the New York Knicks players's jock straps.

Joe Mama

He knows Spike Lee?

sunsfn

Reaction score
I like this trade if it actually goes through.

Kurt Thomas is one of the toughest players in the NBA, and he also can hit the short jumper consistently.

As far as guarding Duncan etc., he can guard any big man as well as or better than anyone the suns have now.

His age is a slight problem but remember, the suns can win now, and they are trying to gear up for winning it all in the next couple years.

We have to improve our defense, and we do not want to hurt our offense, and Thomas can help us accomplish both of those. He can play defense and can score with the short jumper.

This lets the suns take the BPA at the 21st pick, and that is very important.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
I like this trade if it actually goes through.

Kurt Thomas is one of the toughest players in the NBA, and he also can hit the short jumper consistently.

As far as guarding Duncan etc., he can guard any big man as well as or better than anyone the suns have now.

His age is a slight problem but remember, the suns can win now, and they are trying to gear up for winning it all in the next couple years.

We have to improve our defense, and we do not want to hurt our offense, and Thomas can help us accomplish both of those. He can play defense and can score with the short jumper.

This lets the suns take the BPA at the 21st pick, and that is very important.

I agree. I would do the trade straight up, but the extra first round pick from the Nets is gravy.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
I agree. I would do the trade straight up, but the extra first round pick from the Nets is gravy.

I forgot to mention the pick, that is a big plus, but it is from the Knicks not the Nets.... :)

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would not be a fan of this trade. Both contracts expire in 2009, but the Suns have a team option to extend Q. That's a good thing. Thomas's value will go down and Q's may go up.

The Knicks would not throw in the 8th pick, with this! If they did, that would be lovely because we could take a number of guys that would probably end up better than Q.

This would actually be a great trade for the Knicks (why it must be false). Get rid of one of their many PF's, replace a waived Penny or Houston with a younger SG, and Draft the C they need with the 8th pick. Beautiful for them. :confused:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Kurt Thomas?....No way. He's an undersized PF, who rebounds well and can hit a jumper and is vastly overpaid. He's basically a role player who's getting paid like a superstar.

Q is much more valuable as someone who can hit the 3, is an above average rebounder and can post up. Not to mention he won us countless games in the season making clutch plays.

You don't mess up the formula of a team that had the best record in the league, for freekin Kurt Thomas. We need to build around the starting 5 and add depth. A lot of players will want to come here to play the run and gun style. By no means should we trade a starter. Give them another year at least. The Suns are still very young and JJ was injured most of the SA series.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
I forgot to mention the pick, that is a big plus, but it is from the Knicks not the Nets.... :)

LOL duhhh... :stupid:

Sorry I just got off work and I am in the middle of 5 straight 13 hour shifts so I am a little dingy.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Kurt Thomas?....No way. He's an undersized PF, who rebounds well and can hit a jumper and is vastly overpaid. He's basically a role player who's getting paid like a superstar.

Q is much more valuable as someone who can hit the 3, is an above average rebounder and can post up. Not to mention he won us countless games in the season making clutch plays.

You don't mess up the formula of a team that had the best record in the league, for freekin Kurt Thomas. We need to build around the starting 5 and add depth. A lot of players will want to come here to play the run and gun style. By no means should we trade a starter. Give them another year at least. The Suns are still very young and JJ was injured most of the SA series.

We absolutely have to "mess with the formula" if we want to resign Amare Stoudemire. He has said he doesn't want to play the 5 repeatedly (no matter how good he is at at). BC has said that the Suns will do everything they can do address that need...

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Sorry I just got off work and I am in the middle of 5 straight 13 hour shifts so I am a little dingy.

Good god, sorry to hear that. More money is never a bad thing though.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
We absolutely have to "mess with the formula" if we want to resign Amare Stoudemire. He has said he doesn't want to play the 5 repeatedly (no matter how good he is at at). BC has said that the Suns will do everything they can do address that need...

Yeah, but Kurt isn't a 5. Anyway, enough of this thread, I don't buy it.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

Uh no, we can draft a young center and re-sign Hunter. You don't mess with team chemistry because we couldn't get by the Spurs one year when JJ had a fractured orbital bone. Let's give them another year and try to add some pieces around them.

Kurt Thomas is an undersized PF, so it wouldn't solve our center position problem.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Uh no, we can draft a young center and re-sign Hunter. You don't mess with team chemistry because we couldn't get by the Spurs one year when JJ had a fractured orbital bone. Let's give them another year and try to add some pieces around them.

Kurt Thomas is an undersized PF, so it wouldn't solve our center position problem.

Well, a lot of the time, Thomas was the Knicks starting center, but up until this past season, the only centers he had to deal with in the East were Ben Wallace and Jermaine O'Neal, both of them converted Power Forwards as well!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:

Do you honestly think that if we resign Hunter he will start for us? Maybe there was a coaching change I missed.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Do you honestly think that if we resign Hunter he will start for us? Maybe there was a coaching change I missed.

We already have 5 starters.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Bogus, bogus bogus!!

I can't BELIEVE this is getting this much attention!

I'm sure you are right. It's getting this much attention because the site printed it as fact, and because it's something new to talk about. I would much rather post and read on this topic than the numerous Shawn Marion and Q trade scenarios people from the board have come up with recently.

Joe Mama