Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Q

Guys/gals....

It just appears to me that this Chris Reina probably heard it from the least credible/repuable source himself and thought he had an inside exclusive-scoop and ran away with it w/out actually giving much thought....Even if he is wrong, he's bringing attention to his site and he's achieving his objective so it seems....

Personally..it seems several on here are fixiated with the Suns to make a deal for the sake of it....As remarked...Thomas is another undersized forward who true.. he can rebound, but he's not really an effective scorer or prolific shotblocker...

I just feel the Suns would want a more multi-dimensional player in exchange of a player of Q's caliber and someone who's still at least w/in their mid-20s...not someone who will more than likely start breaking down this season.....

Marcus Fizer is avaliable as a UFA and is pretty much similar to Thomas and could be had cheap.. not to the expense of someone who could be part of the Suns long-term nucleus....

I just dont see what would benefit the Suns to make a trade so impulsively when JJ's fate isnt completely sealed (what if someone does offer him such a a lucrative contract beyond what the Suns have projected and cannot match it) and then you've already lost Q in the process.... If in fact they were to deal Q.... I would wait to see what other deals would be offered on the table..

I know many want the Suns to stock-up on draft picks, but it seems to me that D'Antoni is more effective with veteran players... I still recall some time around the draft last year him stating emphatically that he preferred not to develop projects... They were a series away from advancing to the finals against a seasoned-team..why suddenly implode something that could be potentially successful just because of one series.... Just add the spare parts along with the exisiting roster and watch everything effictively come together...

By making this trade, it appears the Suns dont have a true direction and respond to panic.. not a message a franchise wants to send to everyone...

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
KLL said:
I just dont see what would benefit the Suns to make a trade so impulsively when JJ's fate isnt completely sealed (what if someone does offer him such a a lucrative contract beyond what the Suns have projected and cannot match it) and then you've already lost Q in the process.... If in fact they were to deal Q.... I would wait to see what other deals would be offered on the table..

By making this trade, JJ's future is sealed. Don't you see that?

Also, I can understand making the trade before the draft because it will greatly alter the strategy.

fordronken

Reaction score
KLL said:
By making this trade, it appears the Suns dont have a true direction and respond to panic.. not a message a franchise wants to send to everyone...

Since when is trading your fifth option sending a message for panic?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:

Also, I can understand making the trade before the draft because it will greatly alter the strategy.

Huh? Nobody, and I mean nobody, thought that Q being in Phoenix had anything to do with matching Joe Johnson.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
fordronken said:

No, it's trading one of two pieces that led to the 3rd greatest regular season turnaround in NBA history, not trading the "5th option".

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Another thing,

I can tell you that the Knicks video guy has been pulling a lot of video off our servers for the past week. Later today I will try to have someone look at the actual clips he was watching.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Another thing,

I can tell you that the Knicks video guy has been pulling a lot of video off our servers for the past week. Later today I will try to have someone look at the actual clips he was watching.

Maybe he was looking at a Voskuhl for Kurt Thomas trade. :shrug:

:D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Because that Chad Ford article was so quickly put together (title not matching the contents about the pick), could it be he was basically responding to the RealGM article to save face? There's still nothing on the other sites.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Because that Chad Ford article was so quickly put together (title not matching the contents about the pick), could it be he was basically responding to the RealGM article to save face? There's still nothing on the other sites.

not that it gives any truth, but he does say two league sources, does realGM count as a source?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
There would be no point to make the pick coditional if it wasnt the Knicks sending it.

The Suns are not a lottery team.

Love the trade if it is true. It maybe better than the Big I wanted(Nene).

Thomas is a perfect fit.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
FWIW, all three local sports stations (860, 910, 1060) were all reporting the trade this morning as being a done deal. Were they just using RealGM as a source? I don't know...

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:

Again... look at the source...I believe this would be reported... Plus.. isnt RealGM come from the East Coast? It's already noon there...wouldnt you think this story would also have been updated by now if there was any validity to the story? I believe so... it's all moot, but I guess it makes everything more interesting/exciting for everyone rather than complete monotony....

We're all dealing with an extreme case of hearsay.... It's just that JJ and Q's game complemented each other perfectly...

True..the trade could greatly alter the draft strategy, but it's too major of a risk that could ultimately backfire for everyone....

I think that if JJ's in fact has already been signed by the Suns (his fate being sealed), then that would have been announced by now.....

fordoken said:

I believe there were several occasions when Q became more than just a mere 5th option... He seemed to hit the clutch shots when the Suns needed it most and he would create several mix-matches himself if D'Antoni allowed for him to go inside more to the extent that he would even be more of a focal point on offense than he actually was....

Again... it's just this rumor seems to be made by someone who tends to sensantionalize everything without any regards to logic.......

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
scoutmasterdave said:
FWIW, all three local sports stations (860, 910, 1060) were all reporting the trade this morning as being a done deal. Were they just using RealGM as a source? I don't know...
Awsome, I am thrilled! Look out Spurs were alot tuffer & bigger now!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Because that Chad Ford article was so quickly put together (title not matching the contents about the pick), could it be he was basically responding to the RealGM article to save face?

Yes, I think that's quite likely.

FWIW, all three local sports stations (860, 910, 1060) were all reporting the trade this morning as being a done deal.

Boy, that's weird. Where are they getting their information?

If the trade is legitimate, I agree that it makes the Suns better in the short term. Long-term, I don't really care, because the team will have to be completely reconfigured in a few years as Nash starts to wear down.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL, for all we know there are other Phoenix Suns players that don't like Q's "shoot in bulk" tendencies. Even though Q is apparently well-liked in the locker room I could see this trade making the rest of the starting 5 happier. Also, Kurt Thomas is 6-9 with long arms. He can definitely score. He's a very good pick and roll man, and he should get lots of open shots with the Phoenix Suns. He may not be as good defensively as he once was, but he is still pretty good. I believe he led the country in scoring his last year in college... eons ago.

I guess it's time to eat some crow. At least I had softened a little bit lately on my stance that Q would not be traded this summer. still, I begrudgingly come offering an apology to Colorado. I still say there is no way Shawn Marion gets traded this summer, but you are right about Q. At the very least it sounds like the Phoenix Suns are fielding offers for him or offering him.

I think Chad Ford probably just mixed up the first-round draft picks in his article.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You know, if this is true, I'll bet it stems directly from that new CBA rule that permits the Knicks to waive Houston. They wash their hands of him and immediately go out and get a decent replacement, and all it costs them is a tweener big man who Thomas never liked in the first place.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
FWIW, all three local sports stations (860, 910, 1060) were all reporting the trade this morning as being a done deal.

Boy, that's weird. Where are they getting their information?

I was wondering the same thing.

1) How come it took so long for Chad Ford to write the article?

2) If all 3 sports stations had the news early this morning, how come none of the other sports sites out there don't have the article?

3) How come RealGM of all places was where the news originated?

This stuff just doesn't jive.

scotsman13

Reaction score
the more i look at this trade the more i think there could be some truth to. why? two days ago i watch the suns exit interview video from suns.com. one of the biggest things they said that the suns need is to get get tougher. we need to add someone who would fill this roll and then we would be resign hunter on top of that. we want to get better on defense and we want someone who can play in the WCF. if you move thomas to power forward he makes both marions and amares job easier plus he will greatly improve the teams rebounding and post defense, plus he will give the team a very good intimadator who can keep other teams honest (you hit nash, and i knock you back 5 rolls).

as good of a player as ike (even if he was there at 21) he isnt the defender that thomas is, none of the players we have been looking at in this draft can come in and bring us 10 rebounds and player solid nba defense. also it gives a chance to get a player in the draft who might some depth to the small forward or shoot guard spots (after all j2j is gone after this season). so we can pick a player like Petro, Roko, Ersan Ilyasova or Francisco Garcia and not count them to produce this year.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
You know, if this is true, I'll bet it stems directly from that new CBA rule that permits the Knicks to waive Houston. They wash their hands of him and immediately go out and get a decent replacement, and all it costs them is a tweener big man who Thomas never liked in the first place.

Lucky for us! :rolleyes: Sorry, Joe

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If the trade happens, a front line of Stoudemire/Thomas/Marion should be the best rebounding trio in the league.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
the more i look at this trade the more i think there could be some truth to. why? two days ago i watch the suns exit interview video from suns.com. one of the biggest things they said that the suns need is to get get tougher. we need to add someone who would fill this roll and then we would be resign hunter on top of that. we want to get better on defense and we want someone who can play in the WCF. if you move thomas to power forward he makes both marions and amares job easier plus he will greatly improve the teams rebounding and post defense, plus he will give the team a very good intimadator who can keep other teams honest (you hit nash, and i knock you back 5 rolls).

as good of a player as ike (even if he was there at 21) he isnt the defender that thomas is, none of the players we have been looking at in this draft can come in and bring us 10 rebounds and player solid nba defense. also it gives a chance to get a player in the draft who might some depth to the small forward or shoot guard spots (after all j2j is gone after this season). so we can pick a player like Petro, Roko, Ersan Ilyasova or Francisco Garcia and not count them to produce this year.

What I wonder is if we could get someone with the same general skill set as Thomas, but maybe a bit younger and maybe taller.