Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's bogus, but I'm surprised that RealGM would risk their reputation by making such a big splash with something that isn't true. As Andy alluded to, they sell a service to many NBA teams, involving (among other things) whether certain trades work under the CBA, believe it or not. Of course no NBA team pays them for their "breaking news," but even so, I would think that they'd try to give the appearance of being solid across the board.

I'm not sure whether I'd rather have Smith or Thomas. I think Smith is a better scorer, but Thomas might be a better defender. Smith is listed an inch taller and Thomas ten pounds heavier, for whatever that's worth. Smith is also a few years younger.

Come on, Suns, hold out for the Smith deal! :p

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I'm sure you are right. It's getting this much attention because the site printed it as fact, and because frankly it gives us more to talk about. I would much rather post and read on this topic than the numerous Shawn Marion and Q trade scenarios people from the board have come up with recently.

Joe Mama

Good point. :bang:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But doesn't anyone find it odd that NONE of the "credible" news organizations has reported this, even as a rumor?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I'm not sure whether I'd rather have Smith or Thomas. I think Smith is a better scorer, but Thomas might be a better defender. Smith is listed an inch taller and Thomas ten pounds heavier, for whatever that's worth.

I like the idea of trading Q for Joe Smith even though I still have trouble believing they are going to trade Q so soon. I also like Joe Smith's contract better. The problem is that Milwaukee doesn't have Isaiah Thomas as its GM. I really don't think they would trade them straight up... right now. Now if they lose Michael Redd later this summer they might be willing to make that deal.

Joe Mama

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
We already have 5 starters.

Chap...I just worry about Amare. If he isn't 100% happy here...he might go looking to be happy elsewhere. I also believe that if the organization made this move, they would be doing so to give him what he desires...to not be the 5.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Chap...I just worry about Amare. If he isn't 100% happy here...he might go looking to be happy elsewhere. I also believe that if the organization made this move, they would be doing so to give him what he desires...to not be the 5.

This whole "point center" thing seems to have really diminished any unhappiness that the fans had seen.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
But doesn't anyone find it odd that NONE of the "credible" news organizations has reported this, even as a rumor?

Actually, I think most of us find it odd. Almost every person who has chimed in so far has said that they think the report is bogus.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I really don't think they would trade them straight up... right now. Now if they lose Michael Redd later this summer they might be willing to make that deal.

In my original post suggesting a Smith/Richardson trade, I began by saying "If the Bucks lose Redd to free agency."

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i dont think Isaiah would want to make another trade with us after the last one took him straight to the lotto.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

I agree. I also think the Phoenix Suns would still need to find a bigger player in the draft and/or free agency to help in the middle against some of the bigger opponents. I also think a move like this would make Shawn Marion and JJ happier. It would give both a film a few more shots, and more importantly Shawn Marion wouldn't have to play opposing power forwards very often.

When was the last time a trade was "pending with the league" before we even had a whiff of it?

Joe Mama

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
i dont think Isaiah would want to make another trade with us after the last one took him straight to the lotto.

I think Thomas will again make a huge trade this off season. He has to do something simply because he is in New York and New York fans won't tolerate rebuilding the proper way.

My guess...he makes a dumb trade out of desperation...further mortgaging his team's future and is fired at the end of the year.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
When was the last time a trade was "pending with the league" before we even had a whiff of it?

Joe Mama

Or ESPN. Or CBS. Or CNNSI. :rolleyes:

(There it is again)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
I think Thomas will again make a huge trade this off season. He has to do something simply because he is in New York and New York fans won't tolerate rebuilding the proper way.

My guess...he makes a dumb trade out of desperation...further mortgaging his team's future and is fired at the end of the year.

Now that I could agree with. :D

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
And then there was credibility....

Suns would also get conditional pickBy Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

The Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks are in serious talks about a trade that would send Quentin Richardson and a conditional future first-round pick to the Knicks for Kurt Thomas two league sources said.

However, both sources claim that the trade hasn't been completed.

The trade, if it is consummated, would be a good one for both teams. Thomas can provide the Suns more toughness in the paint. He also can play center, allowing the Suns to move Amare Stoudemire back to his natural position at the four. The deal would also clear some cap space, long term, for the Suns, who must re-sign Joe Johnson this summer.

The Knicks have a log jam at the four and have been trying to move Thomas for a month. Richardson will be a good fit in the Knicks offense. He'd give Stephon Marbury a good shooter to kick it to on penetration. He'd also give the Knicks a swing man who can post up and rebound.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
And then there was credibility....

Well, I step back and graciously bow to Andy on this one... :D

"Conditional first-round pick"? Uh oh, that sounds like lottery protection through 2010. :(

And for the record, Thomas is too old. There, I said it.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
the thing is though.....every team in the NBA can waive a player. here, the Knicks would probably waive Houston....and let Penny expire on the bench.

Crawford would then be moved to the bench to backup both Marbs and Q. it does make sense.

and Thomas will be turning 33 in October with only 3 years left on his contract....which isnt all that bad.
Pluss they are gunna take Frye in the draft.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Well, I step back and graciously bow to Andy on this one... :D

"Conditional first-round pick"? Uh oh, that sounds like lottery protection through 2010. :(

And for the record, Thomas is too old. There, I said it.

Looking at the Knicks, 2010 still means a good chance that the Suns will end up with a top 5 pick.

fordronken

Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and say I like the trade. I don't know if we couldn't have gotten a better one, but I like it.

That being said, I'll be really sad to see Q go. I know his playoff performance left a bad taste in our mouths, but he was great to have.

Dagnabbit. I really did love this team a lot. Why couldn't we have just won a championship and all sailed off into the sunset?

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I don't know what to think of this.

Of all Richardson traits I was afraid to lose, it was his toughness and thug attitude I thought the team would miss the most.

Well, Thomas is one nasty dude - so that should balance out.

Otherwise, as much as I hate to say it, this makes us better short term. Not because of what Thomas brings, but because Shawn can slide back to the 3. I have always said that Amare would be fine player Center if Marion wasn't his power forward.

One thing I am wondering - if this goes through, do the Suns pass on Diogu for a wing player?

fordronken

Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
One thing I am wondering - if this goes through, do the Suns pass on Diogu for a wing player?

I think it gives a little more leverage for "best available". Although, knowing our staff, I think it was a pretty safe bet that would have happened anyway.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hold the phone...

The Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks are in serious talks about a trade that would send Quentin Richardson and a conditional future first-round pick to the Knicks for Kurt Thomas two league sources said

If we give up the pick then I will not like this trade. I thought us getting an extra pick was the key.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
The Real GM article says both Q and Thomas are signed through 2009, with the 2009-2010 season being a team option for Q. However, Hoopshype has the Thomas deal ending in 2007-2008 and has no team option on the Q deal for 2009-2010.

If that's the case, then the Thomas deal ends 2 years before Q's. That adds a little more to like about this trade.

Of course ... assuming it's true.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Hold the phone...

If we give up the pick then I will not like this trade. I thought us getting an extra pick was the key.

Wow, we all missed that.

That makes it even worse!

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Hold the phone...

Hmm, the title says

Suns would also get conditional pickBy

I think that the article was written fast. Can't imagine we give a pick up.