Kobe demands trade

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Because he will be 31 when he can opt out, he can decide not to but that puts him at a risk of not getting as good of a contract when he is 32.

That's exactly what happens almost everytime a star can opt out. They do, you try to sign a new contract as soon as possible again instead of putting yourself into a situation where you could end up being injured and out of the league with no more contract.
If he can get 5 years/50M$ after next season he would be smart to opt out of the final 16M$ year because he might not get 5yrs/50M$ at 32 again.

This is a situation like Lewis will face this summer.

Right now draftexpress if projecting the Blazers taking Durant which would leave Oden to the Sonics. This makes sense on a need basis, but if the Blazers decide to unload some of their guys and build around Oden; then Durant would go to the Sonics which would make Lewis redundant.

Lewis should be a hot commodity, but with only a few teams under the cap I'd say Orlando is the only team that would likely to be bidding big money.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Exactly, the players that opt-out aren't usually the guys on max deals, they're guys who want to get max deals.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because he will be 31 when he can opt out, he can decide not to but that puts him at a risk of not getting as good of a contract when he is 32.

That's exactly what happens almost everytime a star can opt out. They do, you try to sign a new contract as soon as possible again instead of putting yourself into a situation where you could end up being injured and out of the league with no more contract.
If he can get 5 years/50M$ after next season he would be smart to opt out of the final 16M$ year because he might not get 5yrs/50M$ at 32 again.

uh, so 31 is the age when guys opt-out to get that last contract? Funny, because on July 1st 2009, Shawn Marion will have just turned 31 two months earlier. Kinda makes our point, doesn't it?

You think he can get 5 years 50 million at age 31 - well, then he can get that AND get that ridiculously large sum of money his final year with us.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are absolutely nuts about Marion. The Suns get calls every single year about Marion. If Marion didn't have any trade value or wasn't considered an all-star his name wouldn't keep coming up. D'Antoni said on 620 that they listen every single year but that doesn't mean they want to trade him. Meaning teams keep asking about him.

Come on. Some of you people need to get off your Marion hating. He is an all-star. There is demand for him. If you want to argue what you could get in return fine. However, to act like he isn't worth anything is just :doi:.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is a situation like Lewis will face this summer.

Right now draftexpress if projecting the Blazers taking Durant which would leave Oden to the Sonics. This makes sense on a need basis, but if the Blazers decide to unload some of their guys and build around Oden; then Durant would go to the Sonics which would make Lewis redundant.

Lewis should be a hot commodity, but with only a few teams under the cap I'd say Orlando is the only team that would likely to be bidding big money.

You have to take into consideration that Orlando probably won't be bidding big money on Lewis for the simple reason that Vince Carter will most likely be the guy they go after big time.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
It's not him as much as it's his contract. Marion would be a great 8-9 mil a year guy, but that's too much cap space for a guy who leaves a lot to be desired.

:notworthy Brilliantly said

Chap - no one hates Marion here. There is just no way in hell that he should be making 17 million a year. And yet he still whines about lack of respect. He is always talking about how no one calls a play for him. Thats because the "everyone clear out and let Marion fumble the ball for 10 seconds and flip it up falling away from the rim" works about 1 in 10 times. He is a somewhat tradeable commodity but even Cupcake ain't making that trade for arguably the greatest player since Jordan.

I'll tell you this. He will be one hell of a tradeable asset after next season. That 18 million expiring contract falling off the books is going to be enticing to somebody.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
That would be a 4M$ loss for him then if he opted out earlier

We must not be talking about the same numbers.

Either he plays his option year for $17 million and signs for $38 million over 4 years ($55 million total), or

He opts out and signs for $50 million over five years ($50 million total).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap - no one hates Marion here. There is just no way in hell that he should be making 17 million a year. And yet he still whines about lack of respect. He is always talking about how no one calls a play for him. Thats because the "everyone clear out and let Marion fumble the ball for 10 seconds and flip it up falling away from the rim" works about 1 in 10 times. He is a somewhat tradeable commodity but even Cupcake ain't making that trade for arguably the greatest player since Jordan.

I'll tell you this. He will be one hell of a tradeable asset after next season. That 18 million expiring contract falling off the books is going to be enticing to somebody.

Well, I completely disagree with you there--Marion is hated by many, many people on this board--mostly the fickle ones who love him when he has a good game, but want him shipped out when he doesn't or when the team isn't playing.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chap - no one hates Marion here.

I could probably show you pages full of quotes that indicate otherwise. Teams sure call the Suns a lot every off season for Marion. That doesn't sound like they want a legit all-star to me. That doesn't sound like they want to add one of the best SF in the league. You guys are right. Marion has no trade value. :sarcasm:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I could probably show you pages full of quotes that indicate otherwise. Teams sure call the Suns a lot every off season for Marion. That doesn't sound like they want a legit all-star to me. That doesn't sound like they want to add one of the best SF in the league. You guys are right. Marion has no trade value. :sarcasm:

We don't know what they're offering for Marion though. It could be teams trying to dump bad contracts. I doubt anyone has offered up a KG/Tmac level player for Marion.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
We don't know what they're offering for Marion though. It could be teams trying to dump bad contracts. I doubt anyone has offered up a KG/Tmac level player for Marion.

Exactly! They probably got a call from CHI offering Malik Allen, a pair of original 1988 Air Jordans, a Sammy Sosa bobblehead and an Internet code for free Ozzfest passes....

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

True but nobody calls up another team and offers true equal value. Such is the nature of trades. To ever find his true value I am sure the Suns would have to say yes were interested which has not happened yet.

Having said that teams keep calling. Obviously, despite his cap numbers teams still want to add him. He clearly has trade value with teams. I seriously doubt every trade offer comes in as "we want Marion for CRAP". That's not realistic. Especially, if what D'Antoni says is true on the radio with multiple teams calling.

You people need to stop the Marion hating from clouding your brains. At least I have an excuse...mine is clouded all the time. :D

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, here's my own random, doesn't-make-any-sense Kobe trade package:

Lakers, Kings, and Celtics in an unholy three-way:

Lakers get:
Ratliff and his expiring contract
Delonte West
Ron Artest
Sac's No. 10 pick
Boston's No. 32 pick
Sac's 2008 first rounder

Boston gets:
Kobe
Brad Miller
Vlad Rad
Laker's No. 19 pick

Sac gets:
Paul Pierce
Andrew Bynum
Boston's No. 5 pick

I swear someone needs to put me in someone's front office.

Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score

Lakers get:
Delonte West
Ron Artest
Sac's No. 10 pick
Boston's No. 32 pick
Sac's 2008 first rounder

Boston gets:
Kobe
Brad Miller
Vlad Rad
Laker's No. 19 pick

Sac gets:
Paul Pierce
Andrew Bynum
Boston's No. 5 pick

My head hurts even trying to think about all those players and picks!!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lakers get:
Delonte West
Ron Artest
Sac's No. 10 pick
Boston's No. 32 pick
Sac's 2008 first rounder

Boston gets:
Kobe
Brad Miller
Vlad Rad
Laker's No. 19 pick

Sac gets:
Paul Pierce
Andrew Bynum
Boston's No. 5 pick

Hey at least you had a disclaimer. You just forgot the :doi:. ;)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you trying to kill me, man?

Well, I was in fact trying to piece together three teams that hate each other in some capacity or another. So ... maybe. Yeah, a little. You know, unconsciously.

It still makes more sense than the Lakers sending Kobe to a Western Conference opponent. Besides, my moves gets you youth and solves all your cap problems.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I am now 50-50 on who the Insider is as being either Jim Buss or John Black. And Black is gaining on the horse trainer...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I am now 50-50 on who the Insider is as being either Jim Buss or John Black. And Black is gaining on the horse trainer...

Kobe wouldn't make that big of a stink over Joh Black. If it's Buss, again, is water thicker than blood? It doesn't seem like Black's style, but Jim Buss has been showing his balls to anyone and everyone in the last month, proving he's got the niggest in the organization - smart money's on him.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe wouldn't make that big of a stink over Joh Black. If it's Buss, again, is water thicker than blood? It doesn't seem like Black's style, but Jim Buss has been showing his balls to anyone and everyone in the last month, proving he's got the niggest in the organization - smart money's on him.

Yeah, that's my first thought too (especially with Phil counseling Kobe on this, and the clear infighting with Phil/Jeannie and Jim.). However, John Black could be speaking for Jimmy and may be the scapegoat for it. Just a thought.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Lakers get:
Delonte West
Ron Artest
Sac's No. 10 pick
Boston's No. 32 pick
Sac's 2008 first rounder

Boston gets:
Kobe
Brad Miller
Vlad Rad
Laker's No. 19 pick

Sac gets:
Paul Pierce
Andrew Bynum
Boston's No. 5 pick

so let me see if i get this straight, sac gives up a problem child and some okay players and a 10 and gets the second best player and the best draft pick.

the celtics give up the second best player and top pick and get the best player (this one i'll say okay to).

the lakers give up the best player and a prospect they highly covet for a problem child an okay draft pick and slew of "eh." riiiiiiiiiiight.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the lakers give up the best player and a prospect they highly covet for a problem child an okay draft pick and slew of "eh." riiiiiiiiiiight.

I had to envision a trade as seen through Cup Check's eyes. I think I really got inside his head on this one.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's Buss, again, is water thicker than blood?

But also, remember there is a Buss divide as it stands with the Jeannie Jackson-Buss vs. Jim Buss power struggle. Phil is close to blood already, at this point. It's a family feud in the front office for starters. Phil is backing Kobe in this, so likely Jeannie is on that same side as well. If it IS Jim, then it isn't in stone that Jimmy gets to run with the team. As Lazenby wrote in his blog above, he thinks Phil may have sown some of these seeds. Is it a vast power struggle?

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
Ok it's my turn. LOL.. Suns trade;

Barbosa
Marion
Diaw
1st round pick next year from ATL.

For;

Kobe "the rapist" Bryant.
Someone else.
Someone else.

(Marion and Leandro are good for what 35 points a game - at least.)

Then we have

Kobe
Stoudemire
Nash

:shock:

Last edited: