Kolb is a bit panicky.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
HE IS A LITTLE skiddish whe the pressure comes and Imo is either too quick to run out of the pocket or make poor quick throws off his back foot.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like what I see so far. Especially for having so little time in this offense and two shiddy OT's..

When he actually knows this offense like the back of his hand he is gonna be even better.. Best stat so far this pre-season even with the "skiddish" that you talk about? ZERO turnovers!

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
HE IS A LITTLE skiddish whe the pressure comes and Imo is either too quick to run out of the pocket or make poor quick throws off his back foot.

Just a case of the yips (over-excited). This was his first game at home and he was trying way too hard to show his abilities to the fans.

He seemed to calm down quite a bit after the long TD pass to Fitz

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like what I see so far. Especially for having so little time in this offense and two shiddy OT's..

When he actually knows this offense like the back of his hand he is gonna be even better.. Best stat so far this pre-season even with the "skiddish" that you talk about? ZERO turnovers!

This.

Sounds like we're splitting hairs. I thought he did well tonight. It's nice to see that we have someone that actually knows when to (and can) move out of the pocket.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
True but he gained his composer and completed 8 of his last 11 passes. Rebounding from a poor performance is crucial as it happens to every QB. The Andersons, Halls and Leinarts of the world would be shell shocked in that event

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This.

Sounds like we're splitting hairs. I thought he did well tonight. It's nice to that we have someone that actually knows when to (and can) move out of the pocket.

That is nice.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's a huge upgrade over last year and I am pleasantly surprised with his ability to pick up this offense relatively well so quickly. I did notice he does have happy feet behind at times, but that's understandable behind that Oline. If he's having a little bit of trouble now because of pressure getting there too quickly I hate to see what's going to happen in the regular season without the vanilla defenses.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a huge upgrade over last year and I am pleasantly surprised with his ability to pick up this offense relatively well so quickly. I did notice he does have happy feet behind at times, but that's understandable behind that Oline. If he's having a little bit of trouble now because of pressure getting there too quickly I hate to see what's going to happen in the regular season without the vanilla defenses.

We have already seen this without vanilla defenses. it garnered him 2 NFC offensive player of the week plaques and the first QB in NFL history to throw for over 300 yards in his first two NFL starts. :D

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else think "oh god please don't be an overthrow" on that bomb to Fitz? I am just so used to thinking that from stupid DA last season.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

yep. Lets hope he doesnt start chunking up crazy "Jake" throws :D
I really do like his poise in the gun though!

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Best stat so far this pre-season even with the "skiddish" that you talk about? ZERO turnovers!
That's the most surprising stat to me. With somewhat of a gunslinger reputation, I was expecting to see more questionable throws into coverage. Instead, he looks like a smart player who knows when to take chances. It's very impressive for the limited time he's been in the offense.

The only thing that worries me about Kolb is his penchant for throwing off his back foot, but I think he'll cut down on that when he's more comfortable. We are still talking about a player with 7 career starts.

Overall, I'm completely satisfied with Kolb's preseason performance.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We have already seen this without vanilla defenses. it garnered him 2 NFC offensive player of the week plaques and the first QB in NFL history to throw for over 300 yards in his first two NFL starts. :D

Right, to his credit. I think he'll be a very good QB, my point was this Oline is not that good and this may be why he seems panicky.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Ya think??? Why on earth would he be nervous or apprehensive or edgy in the pocket. It's only his first appearance in a packed house in front of his new fans, so that should not be a problem right??? D'ya think he might be a little concerned about making a good first impression??? Give the kid a little break. He did just fine under the circumstances, and so did his offensive line, so really, you could cut a little slack to all of them. They played well, (not great), but well enough to win a hard fought game against one of the best QB's and offenses in the NFL. It was unfortunate that the scrubs, (who incidently had VERY few snaps this entire pre-season), did the Cardinal thing, and managed to shoot themselves in the foot and turn what should have been a sure win into an unfortunate loss.

That is nothing new for us fans, and it certainly shouldn't reflect on how the ones played against San Diego's ones. I am quite sure that the staff got a look at the people who were on the bubble so as to better make cuts on Tuesday. Next week, the scrubs will get much more time in the game, as a great many cuts will need to be made after that game.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kolb is a very intense personality on the field. He reminds me of Warner in that respect. Btw, Rivers is also like that. He also is very cerebral, which is why Reid liked him so much. The Eagles would never had traded him if they weren't also high on Kafka. He moves through his progressions quickly & has a quick release. He doesn't have Warner's accuracy, but then again, who does? He's still above average in that category & will only get better as he gets acclimated to the offense. I think Whiz is going to have a lot of fun with Kolb under center!!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
A few things I see:

1) As much as the fans are pointing out the poor protection, for the most part the O-Line is doing a good job creating a pocket for Kolb to throw from. Kolb is panicking. He's not setting his feet when he anticipates the rush and stepping up and getting rid of the ball. If he doesn't stop this, he's going to struggle at times. He's got the arm, intelligence and foot speed to execute. He just needs to work on this part of his game.

2) He's locking on to his primary receiver way too often. The majority of the time, he tried to throw to the first receiver he locked onto and he panicked when the guy wasn't open. This is going to lead to some bad interceptions if he doesn't go through his progressions. I think this can be chalked up to a new guy, in a new system, but we'll see. This is one of those hindrances that separates the good QBs from the bad. Kolb needs some work here.

3) He's hesitating too much. Again this could be chalked up to new guy, new system.

Overall, I think we'll know what we have in Kolb halfway through the season, with the first 3-5 games as an adjustment period. Once he gets past that point, then I think he should be comfortable in our system and we should be able to have a better feel at what kind of QB he's going to be for us.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

:stupid:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Did anyone else think "oh god please don't be an overthrow" on that bomb to Fitz? I am just so used to thinking that from stupid DA last season.

Overthrow? I was excited it didn't land 5 yards short and 10 yards to Fitz right. :D

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I like how Kolb mentioned after the game the Fitz TD play was an audible, and that the coaches were happy.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You'd be edgy too if you had a hologram playing left tackle.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Is anyone else a little concerned that Kolb's completion % is 55? That's not DeWreck Anderson bad and it is preseason with a new team but still the guy is a 5th year veteran so I was hoping for a little better accuracy. Oh well I'm sure it's no big deal Brady, Bradford, Flacco and Matt Ryan are down there as well.

So is Matt Leinart. :D

Cam Newton is at 40.4. :shock:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
A few things I see:

1) As much as the fans are pointing out the poor protection, for the most part the O-Line is doing a good job creating a pocket for Kolb to throw from. Kolb is panicking. He's not setting his feet when he anticipates the rush and stepping up and getting rid of the ball. If he doesn't stop this, he's going to struggle at times. He's got the arm, intelligence and foot speed to execute. He just needs to work on this part of his game.

2) He's locking on to his primary receiver way too often. The majority of the time, he tried to throw to the first receiver he locked onto and he panicked when the guy wasn't open. This is going to lead to some bad interceptions if he doesn't go through his progressions. I think this can be chalked up to a new guy, in a new system, but we'll see. This is one of those hindrances that separates the good QBs from the bad. Kolb needs some work here.

3) He's hesitating too much. Again this could be chalked up to new guy, new system.

Overall, I think we'll know what we have in Kolb halfway through the season, with the first 3-5 games as an adjustment period. Once he gets past that point, then I think he should be comfortable in our system and we should be able to have a better feel at what kind of QB he's going to be for us.

I cant really disagree with any of this, but it fails to represent the overall picture. Theres also been just as many if not more plays or times when you thought "Wow - this guy is going to be good".

I noticed the progressions and happy feet too, but my favorite thing about Kolb is he pushes the ball in that 15-30 yard range that bad quarterbacks dont have the confidence or ability to make. Once the timing on the slants gets down, he absolutely is accurate enough to exploit those for big plays like Warner did. Im also interested to see how Wiz works with a guy with running ability.

One thing I am taking away from this offseason so far? Fitz is going to have a big year. Kolb does overly rely on him so far, but can you blame him? Anyone learning a new offense is going to have times where its moving to fast and they need to get bailed out. And in that case the best play would be to throw the ball towards Fitz 10 times out of 10. Kolb has shown hes going to do that.

Fitz might break an NFL record for targets this year.

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
The only beef i had was when he scrambled backward and then took a sack that would have put us out of FG range. As is was, a penalty did that for us, but he needs to know the situation.

seesred

Reaction score
I thought that Kolb played well behind an improved O-line. Even Levi had a very good game. They appear to be coming together. Kolb has a great touch on the ball but made a few mistakes which almost cost him in the middle of the field. Having a good back in the Bean should make it better for blocking schemes. I thought that the extra options including an improved Stephen Williams will help Kolb as well.

IMO Kolb will be a very good QB in this league and we should be able to compete in every game. This year will have it's ups and downs but next year Super Bowl bound.

GBR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05