KT Gone to Seattle

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
That whole "guarding Tim Duncan" thing.

That whole "Keeping Amare out of foul trouble" thing.

That whole "We brought in Kurt Thomas to keep Amare Happy" thing.

That whole "Continuing to improve our roster" thing.

The only way this move is anything other than a massive step backwards in our goals to win a championship is if there is a NBA big man willing to come for the vet minimum.
Yes

Yes

Yes

and YES!!

Great post. You could close the thread now if you wanted to.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seriously, guys, I don't know how most of you didn't see this coming. i'm not happy it did, but there has been so much smoke through media speculation/reading between the lines of DA's comments, that this was a no-brainer. I'm not a fan of the move at all, but I ain't gonna freak out about it.

however, it will be entertaining reading the board for a couple days.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did Seattle get an $8 million trade exception?

The Suns are still one Eric Piatkowski over the LT.

An 8M exception was created, when they took Kurt Thomas from us, and we were over the cap.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seriously, guys, I don't know how most of you didn't see this coming. i'm not happy it did, but there has been so much smoke through media speculation/reading between the lines of DA's comments, that this was a no-brainer. I'm not a fan of the move at all, but I ain't gonna freak out about it.

:stupid:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I predicted this would happen, but it's still galling. The Suns needed to take care of their business before this so they wouldn't be held hostage.

Weren't Chris Mihm and Joe Smith the team's first two choices as replacements? Both gone now, I believe.

We'll have to wait and see whether they bring anybody in beyond P.J. Brown, who's another 20-minute player...

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow what the hell are we doing? We have no decent bigs?
I seem to recall a time when the Suns had Joe Kleine and Danny Schayes at center. Those guys are better than what the Suns have (except for Amare, of course).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

It's more than that. Of course a lot of us expected KT to be moved. But to receive nothing in return? That's what's hard to swallow.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score

I don't think many are surprised, it just doesn't make sense that we had to give up 2 first rounders IMO. Oh well, we just took a big step backwards.

Welcome to PHX Grant Hill.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
This is why I was hoping we would trade Banks. I guess Amare is going to be playing 40 this season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. The fallout on this will be less than the draft IMO.

The draft,

Oh, and trading KT and two first round picks for nothing on the same day news comes out an NBA ref has been fixing game for the mafia--what a sense of timing.

I really don't know why I bother. I have wasted so much of my life following this team and this league.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's more than that. Of course a lot of us expected KT to be moved. But to receive nothing in return? That's what's hard to swallow.

The two additional draft picks is what is especially troubling.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
At least we don't have to bother speculating who the Suns will take with their first round pick next year!

SARVER SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't - we were over a barrel financially and everyone knew it which meant we had no bargaining power to deal a 35 year old guy with a large contract who's broken down the last three years. We talked about this before the draft Chap, and it pretty much played out exactly as I thought it would, except we had to give up more than one first round pick to dump him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The reality is that KT wouldn't have gotten a lot of minutes for a guy getting paid as much as he was. D'Antoni didn't like to play him against most teams, and seems he didn't like to play him against the Spurs also. Which is a crock, IMO. However, the guy was a rock on the court and in the locker room, I guy I thought was crucial to our success.

Perhaps this is a precursor to signing PJ Brown? I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score
The two additional draft picks is what is especially troubling.

I agree...its not so much the getting rid of KT and his contract as it is the TWO first round draft picks. Shoot at this point we might as well sell next years atlanta pick to get some extra cash :sarcasm:

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only hope Amare isn't in the top 10 for fouls called on again next year.

Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score
At least we don't have to bother speculating who the Suns will take with their first round pick next year!

SARVER SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As of right now we still have Atlantas pick to speculate about :D

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Screw the draft picks they would be near the bottom if things go right! I am more concerned about our lack of a decent big! What the hell is Kerr & Sarver thinking? Yeah I am sure that Grant Hill knew this was coming...don't think so. Just pissed at this move!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
So why exactly did Sarver hire Steve Kerr? He could've paid one of us to give away draft picks and players for cash.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - no interior defense means no championship. And since KT is gone there is no player on the Suns right now that can play interior D. And that's without mentioning how marginal the talent on the roster will be once Nash and MArion's window closes in a couple years. Thanks to the Suns' plan of not drafting anybody this decade, we might be looking at the desert version of the Garnett T-Wolves.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think it's pretty ridiculous that over the last four years, we're now traded away, what, 6 first round picks? What kind of FO does that?

asudevil83

Reaction score
Where did Seattle get an $8 million trade exception?

The Suns are still one Eric Piatkowski over the LT. Right now they'd end up paying about $1 million in LT.

i believe sending Lewis to Orlando created a mando exemption for them. and besides that, i think they were under the cap anyways.

i can only hope that after this move the suns go out and use their MLE on SOMEONE.

we are a THIN and SMALL team up front, and its going to show next season.

if not....i'm just about ready to turn in my purple and orange. it would be clear to me that this ownership is NOT looking to win a championship and has wasted away the prime of one of the greatest offenses in two decades to save a couple of bucks. kudos

Last edited: