KT Gone to Seattle

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Where did Seattle get an $8 million trade exception?
Rashard Lewis S&T with Orlando.
seriously, guys, I don't know how most of you didn't see this coming. i'm not happy it did, but there has been so much smoke through media speculation/reading between the lines of DA's comments, that this was a no-brainer. I'm not a fan of the move at all, but I ain't gonna freak out about it.
Well, I guess we all knew that KT would be traded, but we expected something else than a glaring hole under the basket in return.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That whole "guarding Tim Duncan" thing.

That whole "Keeping Amare out of foul trouble" thing.

That whole "We brought in Kurt Thomas to keep Amare Happy" thing.

That whole "Continuing to improve our roster" thing.

The only way this move is anything other than a massive step backwards in our goals to win a championship is if there is a NBA big man willing to come for the vet minimum.

Ahhhh, you're actually talking on the court fallout. Good point. I was thinking more in terms of fan uproar. I agree with your points, but I still dont find it staggering. KT made WAY too much money for how much he was utilized. I liked him on the team for sure, and we do indeed have a big gaping hole to fill come next years playoffs in terms of interior defense, but we have an entire season to address it, and while I dont dig this move whatsoever, as we got back a sack of nothing in return, AND we had to give up a couple of first rounders to acquire the trade exception we most likely wont use. Im pissed.

But I dont see staggering being the fallout. I see a bunch of pissed off fans who will continue to call our ownership cheap.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
What is the new plan for defending Tim Duncan. I know Amare can for about 10 minutes before he fouls out, but what about the other 38 min? I guess we get to watch Boris get his butt kicked.

Couldnt we have traded Boris and 2 firsts instead of KT?

fordronken

Reaction score
Just for the record, we used three first round draft picks to dump James Jones and Kurt Thomas, who were rotation players for a championship caliber team last year.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Better sign someone else now.. PJ Brown for the veteran minimum, who else is left on the market? Maybe we could use some of the MLE now.

Or maybe use the trade exception now for someone. Maybe even someone like Camby along with Atlantas pick.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This is dumb dumb dumb. How are we not even getting back a young cheap player like Swift or Sene? I have been an avid D'Antoni supporter but this move just makes no sense to me. This is made because of Mike's inability to understand you have to be able to match up with different teams in different ways and now we have NO reliable post defense. KT was severly underatted and this move is more crippling than some on the board would have you think. IMO this is as big a subtraction to our defense and rebounding as Hill will be as an addition on offense.

Somebody help me understand. Does this TE in any way help us obtain KG at the deadline? Does this help us sign PJ Brown in anyway?

Decisions based on money (or the saving of it) are never the right moves. I am fairly let down by Suns management at this point...

Oh and one last point: Heres a scary thought - that 2010 pick could potentially be a lottery pick. Nash will be on his last legs (if not completly done), Marion will be gone and you can never fully count on Amare with those knees......

Stupid, stupid move......

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what is troubling to me:

You can't say we are building towards a championship by trading away your top interior defender.

You can't say we are reloading for the future because we have traded away so much of it.

We are building for the status quo and it kind of sucks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holy crap, does anyone else realize, that in the last 13 months, we've traded 5 first round picks... and gotten nothing but cash in return? That's frightening.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh, you're actually talking on the court fallout. Good point. I was thinking more in terms of fan uproar. I agree with your points, but I still dont find it staggering. KT made WAY too much money for how much he was utilized. I liked him on the team for sure, and we do indeed have a big gaping hole to fill come next years playoffs in terms of interior defense, but we have an entire season to address it, and while I dont dig this move whatsoever, as we got back a sack of nothing in return, AND we had to give up a couple of first rounders to acquire the trade exception we most likely wont use. Im pissed.

But I dont see staggering being the fallout. I see a bunch of pissed off fans who will continue to call our ownership cheap.

It staggers me, does that count? :D

asudevil83

Reaction score
haha....out depth chart:

Amare/Marks
Marion/Diaw
Hill/Tucker
Bell/Barbosa
Nash/Strawberry

basically down to a 7 man rotation once again.....with the slim chance of Tucker and Strawberry seeing any time. Marks is bench fodder, much like Pike.

cheers

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Remember everyone, eyes on the prize. What doesn't get mentioend however is that prize is a packed house and a bunch of regular season wins and playoff defeats to any team with an above average frontcourt and a serviceable bench.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holy crap, does anyone else realize, that in the last 13 months, we've traded 5 first round picks... and gotten nothing but cash in return? That's frightening.

Were they all for 3 million? That's 15 million dollars on draft picks alone.

asudevil83

Reaction score

:barf:

it really does make me sick

in two years we'll be the Hawks

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've got to believe there's something else coming - we are now a 7 man rotation, with no one who canplay interior D and we're one predictable Grant Hill injury flare up from having 6 NBA players.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You forgot Banks who is definately better than Strawberry.

Also I think PJ Brown is pretty much a given, maybe someone else as well.

This move is GOOD for the Suns, there is no doubt. The only question is wether the 2010 pick is protected or not, it might turn out bad in the long run. But now we have significantly more room to add other pieces.

You assume Phoenix will not do anything more, I guarantee you thats bs. We will now sign at least one more player like PJ Brown.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
This is dumb dumb dumb. How are we not even getting back a young cheap player like Swift or Sene? I have been an avid D'Antoni supporter but this move just makes no sense to me. This is made because of Mike's inability to understand you have to be able to match up with different teams in different ways and now we have NO reliable post defense. KT was severly underatted and this move is more crippling than some on the board would have you think. IMO this is as big a subtraction to our defense and rebounding as Hill will be as an addition on offense.

Somebody help me understand. Does this TE in any way help us obtain KG at the deadline? Does this help us sign PJ Brown in anyway?

Decisions based on money (or the saving of it) are never the right moves. I am fairly let down by Suns management at this point...

Oh and one last point: Heres a scary thought - that 2010 pick could potentially be a lottery pick. Nash will be on his last legs (if not completly done), Marion will be gone and you can never fully count on Amare with those knees......

Stupid, stupid move......

Kerr is the GM now the buck stops at his feet for moves at this point.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Somebody help me understand. Does this TE in any way help us obtain KG at the deadline?
No, excepted if we need to take Minnesota's crap in a KG trade. Since that would worsen our cap situation, well that definitively won't happen.
Does this help us sign PJ Brown in anyway?
No, excepted if Chicago agree to sign and trade him.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Also is it Seatltes 2nd rounder in 2008? That is probably better than our own first round pick as it should be high and you dont have to sign a player to a guarateed contract.

Reaction score
The thing that I dont get is not only do the Suns get nothing in return, but they traded away KT, and 2 picks to Seattle and James Jones and a first round pick to Portland.....Both teams are in the Suns division!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amare is probably not happy at all about this move because he does not want to play Center as it is.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Well Mike Jureki is speculating that we have a deal in place with Mihm. Nice prep work.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
The 2010 pick better have protection because we might be rebuilding at that time.

It really doesn't matter. The league limits the amount you can sell a draft pick to 3 million, regardless of its position. Those picks we just gave away would have only netted 6 million, versus the 16 million we saved by getting rid of Thomas.

Between James Jones, KT, and the 24th pick, the Suns have added over 20 million to the books this year!!! Go Sarver!!!

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
Im trying to spin this but it is really appearing like we will get rid of Marcus Banks and #1 overall (because Hawks fail for cash).. Someone in here has to be thinking this possibility also.

I do know they must have a better player they are hoping to land

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Kerr is the GM now the buck stops at his feet for moves at this point.
I doubt Kerr was itching to trade away future assets and players for nothing. This move is purely front office (see Bob Sarver) greed. NBA GM's don't give away something for nothing unless their boss is breathing down their neck telling them to. No matter, I'm guessing Stevie knew he was going to be Sarver's lightning rod the minute he signed up.