ktar620

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
IMO? How can you even formulate an opinion about how tall Amare Stoudemire is right now? :shrug: I suppose you can go by ESPN.com's measurements, but those are from 2 years ago...

By watching him play, of course. Every time he steps on the court, he's going up against players whose heights are at least somewhat known--if you see him play enough times, you get a decent idea of where he stands on the NBA height chart.

I agree with slinslin that Amare is bigger than Boozer, Brand or K-Mart; none of those players is getting to 6'10" without a pair of very high heels, though. (Only Brand is capable of playing center, as well, and he's got at least 20 pounds on Amare.)

It looks to me that Amare just about exactly the same size as Tracy McGrady, and maybe a little shorter than Peja Stojakovic. He's shorter than McDyess, too, and McDyess was listed at 6'9.5" in his first few years.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
By watching him play, of course. Every time he steps on the court, he's going up against players whose heights are at least somewhat known--if you see him play enough times, you get a decent idea of where he stands on the NBA height chart.

I agree with slinslin that Amare is bigger than Boozer, Brand or K-Mart; none of those players is getting to 6'10" without a pair of very high heels, though. (Only Brand is capable of playing center, as well, and he's got at least 20 pounds on Amare.)

It looks to me that Amare just about exactly the same size as Tracy McGrady, and maybe a little shorter than Peja Stojakovic. He's shorter than McDyess, too, and McDyess was listed at 6'9.5" in his first few years.
Brand may have 20 pounds on Amare, I think it "looks" closer to 40. However, no WAY Brand can keep Amare off the rim on offense. Heck, better defenders got dunked on by Amare this year! That was after he made it blatantly obvious he was going to the rim off the dribble, too! I think when he starts hitting that jumper close to 50% of the time, he will be unstoppable. Whereas he can get in front of most opposing centers in our league with his footwork. He just needs more bulk to keep from being backed down easily! He definatly has shot block ability. He justs needs to refine his patience on the block defensivly. He goes for the head fake too much right now. He's TALLER than Dice!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
F-Dog said:

Interesting. What makes all those other players' heights correct and Amare's not correct? Must be a conspiracy against the Suns, eh? :p

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Brand may have 20 pounds on Amare, I think it "looks" closer to 40. However, no WAY Brand can keep Amare off the rim on offense. Heck, better defenders got dunked on by Amare this year! That was after he made it blatantly obvious he was going to the rim off the dribble, too! I think when he starts hitting that jumper close to 50% of the time, he will be unstoppable. Whereas he can get in front of most opposing centers in our league with his footwork. He just needs more bulk to keep from being backed down easily! He definatly has shot block ability. He justs needs to refine his patience on the block defensivly. He goes for the head fake too much right now. He's TALLER than Dice!

I agree with all of this--except the last sentence of course. ;)

The thing is, Amare can score on anybody, and I don't see the value in throwing him into the meat-grinder at center for 82 games, year after year. Opposing centers aren't nearly as talented as Amare, but they're (usually much) bigger and often very physical; I don't like the idea of matching Amare up every night against players who are going spend the whole game trying to wear him down.

I'd much prefer to Lampe at center and add another center who can score. That way, the two centers could take turns absorbing the beatings that come with playing center in the NBA, and Amare can wreak havoc against the other team's PF, or at least force the other team to try and switch every time down the court.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Interesting. What makes all those other players' heights correct and Amare's not correct? Must be a conspiracy against the Suns, eh? :p

What is this? 'Random emoticon day'? :rolleyes:

It looks to me like I said that Boozer, K-Mart and Brand are all listed wrong, too. Maybe I'm not reading my response right or something. ;)

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
McDyess was probably 6'9 1/2 without shoes and they listed him at 6'9 since then. He is probably 6'11 with shoes. He is the same size as Jake Voshkul basically.

TMac is also about 6'9 they say but Amare definately has an inch on him too.

Amare is 6'10 in shoes. Bottom line. Swift, Martin etc are also 6'10 in shoes and they are at best the same size.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
slinslin said:
McDyess was probably 6'9 1/2 without shoes and they listed him at 6'9 since then. He is probably 6'11 with shoes. He is the same size as Jake Voshkul basically.

TMac is also about 6'9 they say but Amare definately has an inch on him too.

Amare is 6'10 in shoes. Bottom line. Swift, Martin etc are also 6'10 in shoes and they are at best the same size.

McDyess isn't as tall as Voskuhl, and TMac is bigger than you think--he's at least an inch taller than Drew Gooden.

Martin is shorter than Amare, and Swift is probably about the same size.

If your point is that Amare can play center, it doesn't make any sense to compare him to other PFs, of course.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
McDyess isn't as tall as Voskuhl, and TMac is bigger than you think--he's at least an inch taller than Drew Gooden.

Martin is shorter than Amare, and Swift is probably about the same size.

If your point is that Amare can play center, it doesn't make any sense to compare him to other PFs, of course.

Here's an idea F-Dog, compile a list of all the starting centers in the league, and then filter out who Amare COULDN'T guard at that spot. I'm not saying he SHOULD play center, I'm saying that he COULD play center if we needed him to and have very few problems.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Here's an idea F-Dog, compile a list of all the starting centers in the league, and then filter out who Amare COULDN'T guard at that spot. I'm not saying he SHOULD play center, I'm saying that he COULD play center if we needed him to and have very few problems.

He'd probably do fine for the first few games, but three years down the road he wouldn't be doing nearly as well.

Shawn Marion theoretically matches up well with a number of PFs, too, but the Suns have tried that and we all saw the result.

So TMac is 6'11?

No, he's 6'9" and change in shoes. Just like Amare is.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe if these guys would crouch when setting up at the foul line... :wave:

In any case, heigth/length is only part of the equasion. What matters is whether the player is strong enough to keep opponents out of the box and long enough to do straight up shot blocking.

I'm not sure I really want Amare spending that much energy keeping the opponent out of the box, even if he is capable. This is why someone like Duncan is not a center even though he is certainly big enough, the Spurs need him on offense too much.

The length issue is mostly about straight up shot blocking - ie blocking shots of guys coming straight at him. Jumpers block shots from the side or behind because most guys driving the basket will simply run into them if they are jumping in front of them (yes, I know Shawn has to get back to doing that). A straight on blocker gets in position to take a charge AND block the shot which means doing it while not jumping.

Lampe is the only guy on the team that MIGHT be able to become a straight on shot blocker. Amare won't and it doesn't matter exactly how tall he is. He is a jumper and that's his strength.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
He'd probably do fine for the first few games, but three years down the road he wouldn't be doing nearly as well.

Shawn Marion theoretically matches up well with a number of PFs, too, but the Suns have tried that and we all saw the result.

No, he's 6'9" and change in shoes. Just like Amare is.

And Drew Gooden is 6'10 in shoes and you say he is shorter than TMac...

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
slinslin said:
And Drew Gooden is 6'10 in shoes and you say he is shorter than TMac...

If Drew Gooden is 6'10" in shoes, he's wearing 70's platform heels.

Gooden is one of the smallest PFs in the league. That's why his teams keep trying to play him at SF.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
If Drew Gooden is 6'10" in shoes, he's wearing 70's platform heels.

Gooden is one of the smallest PFs in the league. That's why his teams keep trying to play him at SF.

I'm not sure size has that much to do with it. Gooden doesn't have the "mean streak" that great inside players have. This shows up more on his weak defense than anything else. Look at the stat, his rebounding per minute are roughly those of Ratliff - its not rebounds but defense that holds him back.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Come on, guys. There's no way Stoudemire was 6' 11" in "NBA height" last season. Who cares what his real height is? He isn't as tall as players who are listed at 6' 11". I'd say he's a bit shorter than the "average" player listed at 6' 10", but that's a more subjective impression.

It's like F-Dog says. You can see the players on the floor; it's not that difficult.

Now, maybe Stoudemire has grown a lot since April, but that's another question.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake