Kubiak wants Frank Bush

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
By JOHN MCCLAIN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

If everything goes according to plan, new Texans coach Gary Kubiak will dig into the Oilers archives for his co-defensive coordinators.

Although nothing is finalized because both are under contract, Kubiak wants Arizona linebackers coach Frank Bush and Miami co-defensive coordinator Richard Smith to run his defense.
Bush and Smith played key roles in one of the most important periods in Oilers history, what's known as the run-and-shoot era (1987-93) of Jerry Glanville and Jack Pardee.
During those seven years, the Oilers made the playoffs each season, something no other team accomplished during that period.
As any student of Houston's pro football history knows, those Oilers teams had terrific achievements and devastating letdowns.
Bush spent 10 years (1985-94) in Houston as a player, scout and assistant coach. Smith spent five years (1988-92) with the Oilers as an assistant coach.
Bush was an outside linebacker the Oilers selected in the fifth round of the 1985 draft. He was nicknamed "Cornbread" by Glanville, who said Bush ate everything in the dining hall chow line but the cornbread.
Bush earned a starting job as a rookie. He played for two seasons before he was forced to retire because of a congenital spinal defect.
Although Bush sought the opinion of many doctors, none would approve him to continue playing because one hit in the wrong spot could have left him paralyzed. When he finally came to grips with the reality of the situation, Bush had a decision to make.

From player to coach

Because the Oilers respected Bush so much, rather than cut him loose after his forced retirement, they offered him a job in the scouting department under personnel director Mike Holovak. Bush scouted for six years.
In 1992, Pardee asked Bush to coach linebackers under defensive coordinator Jim Eddy. Bush attacked his new job as if he were still playing linebacker. In a short time, he became recognized and respected as an outstanding position coach.
Like Smith, Bush was an assistant on the teams that suffered the two most frustrating playoff losses in franchise history — Buffalo after the 1992 season and Kansas City after the 1993 season.
Bush was wise enough to finally get out of town after 1994's 2-14 season in which Pardee was fired and defensive coordinator Jeff Fisher was elevated to replace him.
Bush's association with Kubiak began in 1995 when they were both part of Mike Shanahan's first staff with the Broncos. Bush earned Kubiak's respect during his nine seasons coaching linebackers and special teams.
When Bush wanted to return to coaching linebackers, the Broncos didn't have a vacancy. He was offered a job at Arizona, where Clancy Pendergast — another former Oilers assistant — was the new defensive coordinator.
In their two seasons together with the Cardinals, Pendergast and Bush helped Arizona finish 12th and eighth in defense.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3610563.html

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So OK (he said showing all four rows of teeth), we'll let the Texans sign Bush along with the swap of #1's.

Then we'll draft Vince Young or Reggie Bush...

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Also... isn't it nice to have other teams want our coaches?

First our new OLine coach (IIRC) and now Frank Bush!!

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Let Bush go interview for it. It is a promotion.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
nidan said:
Sure and a draft pick as compensation

I don't think they should have to. This seems to be a clear promotion. Bush is under contract, so I guess the Texans have to get permission from us, but generally in the past, promotions were granted by courtesy.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at the end of Jan they aren't.

Come to us near the end of the regular season then sure. By now most of the top flight assisatants are already signed somewhere else.

It's way to late for a freebie, you snooze you lose.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
nidan said:

Come to us near the end of the regular season then sure. By now most of the top flight assisatants are already signed somewhere else.

Frank Bush would be seen by the league as a "minority" hire. Despite if anyone thinks this policy is good or bad.....don't you eventually think the league might push the Cards into letting Bush go to Houston??

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
Frank Bush would be seen by the league as a "minority" hire. Despite if anyone thinks this policy is good or bad.....don't you eventually think the league might push the Cards into letting Bush go to Houston??

No because he isn't going to Houston to be HC. probably at most DC

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
clif said:
No because he isn't going to Houston to be HC. probably at most DC

That's a promotion from LB coach. LB>DC>possibly HC one day.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
That's a promotion from LB coach. LB>DC>possibly HC one day.

Of course its a promotion, but it does not fit into the "minority" hiring guidelines. IIRC it is specifically for HC positions.

Also how can the league push the cards to let him leave? He is under contract to get paid so it is not like he is being held captive or something.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
nidan said:

I agree, too late for this year's Blue-Light specials; if we give up a coach to a team now, there should be compensation (i.e. draft picks).

If Texans want him, they will have a fair shot at him next year without giving the Cardinals the problem of finding a replacement after the coaching bin has already been picked over.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
clif said:
Also how can the league push the cards to let him leave? He is under contract to get paid so it is not like he is being held captive or something.
It would be an promotion and to not let him interview would be considered bush league by the rest of the NFL no matter what his contract status is. I heard Jurecki talking about it on 910 this morning, rumors about Bush's unhappiness regarding the situation as well as the Cardinals underpaying their assistants continue.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
clif said:
Of course its a promotion, but it does not fit into the "minority" hiring guidelines. IIRC it is specifically for HC positions.

I don't know specifically what the minority hiring thing is. But it should be to get as many coaches in as possible, and to help them rise through the ranks. Just worrying about HC positions isn't good enough IMO.

If it is a promotion, and they don't let Bush at least interview it, it screams "Same old Cardinals" to me. If I were a position coach I wouldn't even bother signing a contract early with this team, because if a promotion comes along they are going to be foolish about it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't particularly thrilled with our LB's fundementals in 2005. I say we let him interview.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with letting another team talk to us about hiring a coach under contract.

However at this late stage I think asking for compensation is not unreasonable.

It would appear that the Cards can't win. If they let folks go who are under contract without getting compensation, then they are slammed. Now you are slamming them because they want to honor contracts.

In fact we have no idea about this situation. We don't know if it is true. We don't know what the Card's plan to do. We don't know how serious the Texans are [that's assuming it is true]. We also don't know what Frank Bush thinks about it.

In fact we don't know almost everything and yet you bring out the tired 'Same Old Cardinals'. Franky I don't see where that would apply anyway ??

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
It would be an promotion and to not let him interview would be considered bush league by the rest of the NFL no matter what his contract status is. I heard Jurecki talking about it on 910 this morning, rumors about Bush's unhappiness regarding the situation as well as the Cardinals underpaying their assistants continue.

No it wouldn't. Teams don't allow assistants under contract to interview all the time. I just read how Marinelli wanted to hire his son in law off the Bucs staff, but was denied. Sure it would be the courteous thing to do, but teams deny others all the time. We are in the middle of senior bowl week and 9 out of 10 HC positions have been filled so we are supposed to let out LB coach leave? Now if Denny has a capable person in mind to replace him then cool, but you don't just let the guy walk because it's the nice thing to do.

Washington denied teams access to Greg williams to interview for HC job. He got a fat pay raise, but no one knows if Frank Bush will get one or not.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
nidan said:

Late stage?? Kubiak was just hired.

It would appear that the Cards can't win. If they let folks go who are under contract without getting compensation, then they are slammed. Now you are slamming them because they want to honor contracts.

I call it like I see it. I never "Bidwill" bash. I take each situation on it's own. I don't think it is in this organization's best interest to not let Bush interview. The Loney situation is different, because I believe that is not a true promotion.

In fact we have no idea about this situation. We don't know if it is true. We don't know what the Card's plan to do. We don't know how serious the Texans are [that's assuming it is true]. We also don't know what Frank Bush thinks about it.
True, maybe much ado about nothing, but this is a MB and it is the offseason, so people are just commenting on things.

In fact we don't know almost everything and yet you bring out the tired 'Same Old Cardinals'. Franky I don't see where that would apply anyway ??

It just seems that way to me. Pariah hit it on the head, why do we even want to keep this guy?? Our LBs routinely were out of position and constantly forgot that they could tackle with their arms. Why not use this oppurtunity to go look for an upgrade??

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Marinelli had hoped to hire his son-in-law, Tampa Bay linebackers coach Joe Barry, but the Bucs, as is their policy, denied permission for him to interview for the job, because he has one more season remaining on his contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2304660

This is the same Joe Barry that Dennis Green tried to hire to his original staff two years ago.. and ... guess what... he was DENIED!!

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
clif said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2304660

This is the same Joe Barry that Dennis Green tried to hire to his original staff two years ago.. and ... guess what... he was DENIED!!

I think you aren't hearing my argument. For Bush, going to Hou to be a DC is a promotion over a LB coach.

Marinelli hired Donnie Henderson as the DC. That position is filled. It says nothing about a Co-DC position, so it sounds like he wants to hire Barry as the LB coach. That is a lateral move, and the Bucs have every right to deny the request.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
nidan said:

It is completely unreasonable, without a doubt. No one gets compensation for a position coach. Not to sound to blunt but that is just plain old dumb.

They guy may get the opportunity to raise his status as a coach, 99% of the time, teams grant permission for this, and not allowing so is total bush league in the NFL, and coaches and other teams will take notice, now if it is a horizontal move teams will deny permission, but a vertical move such as this seems to be is completely different.

He is a LB's coach, and we are crying for compensation becuase there arent any LB coachs out there to be had still. There are a ton of LB's coaches to still be had in the NFL and College.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
I think you aren't hearing my argument. For Bush, going to Hou to be a DC is a promotion over a LB coach.

Marinelli hired Donnie Henderson as the DC. That position is filled. It says nothing about a Co-DC position, so it sounds like he wants to hire Barry as the LB coach. That is a lateral move, and the Bucs have every right to deny the request.

No he wanted to hire him as DC. I know this particular article does not specifically say that, but that is the word. I can't recall the particular article that said that but he waited to hire a DC until he was denied permission by Tampa.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
clif said:
No he wanted to hire him as DC. I know this particular article does not specifically say that, but that is the word. I can't recall the particular article that said that but he waited to hire a DC until he was denied permission by Tampa.

So the Bucs are wrong here. We don't need to go and be wrong too. We have a reputation we have to start reversing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser